PDA

View Full Version : Ask Cryptic?

Archived Post
02-09-2010, 08:37 AM
So I read the responses to the Ask Cryptic and I learned...

There's going to be new adventures every other month, roughly (response by Jackalope re: Halorin's question).
--> Sounds good, wonder where that's been the first ~6 months though? And is any of this going to be pay?

There's going to be an upcoming "expansion" (response by BigOtter re: IchbinVol's question).
--> Wonder if this is the VB "update"?

The power review is still underway (response by Akinos re: DawningDestiny's question)
--> Seems like they've been at this for a long time, but at least I understand why, balancing is a huge project.

They're adding more powers with the next "expansion (response by BigOtter re: IchbinVol's question).
--> So assuming the VB update is the next "expansion" being referred to (I don't think it's a bad assumption), we're going to get more powers thrown in when the original powers haven't been balanced yet? Or are we not getting the update until the original powers are balanced?

Apparently the interests and demands of gamers have changed. (response by Chronomancer re: Darth-Log's question)
--> So players before weren't interested in communication from developers, or cared about content in the game...?

They're doing "more" by stepping up communication, doing ask Cryptics, dev chats, GM's actually letting us know bug status, and they gave us back Stormshade (response by Arkayne re: FongSolo's question)
--> Stepping up communication means nothing when communication was almost zero, it just means it went back to normal, what it should have been in the first place. Ask Cryptics, dev chats, etc are all just basic things that should have been continued. And really... giving us back Stormshade, why is that notable in any way shape or form?

Other than there's now going to be an "expansion" upcoming, and some hints about new adventures that they have yet to say is free or pay... did anyone else read anything new?

Not saying it's not nice they took the time in their busy schedule to offer us tid bits, but it seemed like a lot of spin and fluff rather than answers...

Archived Post
02-09-2010, 09:21 AM
You'll never get much more than spin and fluff out of Roper (chronomancer).

We technically have had "new content" every 2 months at this point. We had tacoface's event, we learned that clarence didn't like us very much (and with that NemCon) and we had smaller updates fixing some gaps in level range questing and the "fun" new crafting megagrinds.

I'm hoping the future new content is at least on the lines of tacoface (in the form of permanent content) or NemCon and not along the lines of megagrinds or just new throwaway quests.

Archived Post
02-09-2010, 09:26 AM
I don't consider Seasonal Events new content I consider them expected content since its pretty much a standard that MMO's of the none FPS variety have them. The only true new content we have gotten was Nemesis GrindFrontation and a couple of quest lines that should of been there in the beginning to help you grind past the xp level gap.

This Ask Cryptic was nothing but spin fluff. They already know what they're doing why they'd hold off on details makes me feel as if those new things aren't coming for quite a while or they're controversal at best.

Archived Post
02-09-2010, 09:27 AM
I was disappointed that they only answered seven questions. And really, the only thing I really took away from it was that they are adding more stories and new powers (which, one would assume is due to a level cap increase that they haven't talked about).

One of the questions, they didn't even answer fully -- about the shared graphics and controls with STO -- they stuck to the server side of the question.

I know they are going to answer a few more next week, but I found that a bit disappointing.

Archived Post
02-09-2010, 09:35 AM
We should all agree on one tough question for the next "Ask Cryptic" so they can't cherry pick the easy ones and create non-responses to them. I've worked in public relations and I can spot a dodge & spin from a mile away.

Archived Post
02-09-2010, 09:48 AM
STO and CO do share code. There's no way they could have developed 2 separate engines (even if they were using the graphics engine for both) in the time they did CO and STO. We have pretty solid casual evidence that they're built on the same platform.

It's shouldn't be a concern that they are, except that Cryptic has proven that they can't keep their repository management straight and things that shouldn't end up leaking into either version have already.

I'm inclined to believe that the game instance servers are different hardware (or at least virtualized servers with allocated resources) but it's obvious the authentication is centralized. Everyone centralizes authentication, it's not uncommon practice.

Archived Post
02-09-2010, 09:59 AM
STO and CO share animations for one thing. So sharing code is sort of a given being that they run on the same engine.

But more on topic, the only solid bit of information that I pulled from this batch of answers is that Tier 4 powers will be coming along with the Vibora Pay content patch. This only brings up MORE questions, however. Like, are these powers included in a free patch or with the paid content patch? Will these encourage people to specialize more? What exactly will make them desirable for the power investment to get them? How exactly will gaining these work in frameworks that do not have a lot of powers to choose from?

The rest of the answers are pretty much the same that we've been getting before; lots of dancing around a solid answer in places and hinting at future stuff that they can't discuss. I do appreciate them trying to answer some of the "harder" questions though...

Archived Post
02-09-2010, 10:14 AM
We technically have had "new content" every 2 months at this point.

I forgot how Arkayne pointed out in an earlier post that we have indeed been given content in CO. Just seems kinda of silly that stuff like holiday events are considered content, but I guess it's just another sign of the times that players interests and demands are changing?

They already know what they're doing why they'd hold off on details makes me feel as if those new things aren't coming for quite a while or they're controversal at best.

That was what I got off it too. None of this stuff seems like it's coming in the near future (next month or two? probably not), so we're left standing around holding the same old limited content.

This only brings up MORE questions, however. Like, are these powers included in a free patch or with the paid content patch?

I think the "free or paid" part not being answered is the big kicker for me. There's been a lot of noise, a LOT of noise, on content being pay, and they yet again skirted around the issue.

I'm going to put my tin foil hat on here for a second, but does it seem like it to anyone else that they're waiting to see how low their subscriber base is going to fall (ie. when the initial 6 month subbers time is up) before making any sort of decision...? While I understand that from one angle, from a player point of view it just seems like they're tightening the noose around their neck by continuing to tell us nothing....

Archived Post
02-09-2010, 10:42 AM
I'll take tacoface as "added content" as well as NemCon, but declaring Clarence and the level gap closers as "added content" is unadulterated spin.

I really enjoyed the tacoface stuff. The hunters versus wolves thing might actually get me to log in to the game once a lunar cycle despite both the sc2 beta landing soon and the Lego MMO beta starting.

Archived Post
02-09-2010, 11:42 AM
I'll take tacoface as "added content" as well as NemCon, but declaring Clarence and the level gap closers as "added content" is unadulterated spin.

I really enjoyed the tacoface stuff. The hunters versus wolves thing might actually get me to log in to the game once a lunar cycle despite both the sc2 beta landing soon and the Lego MMO beta starting.

As much as I thought Bloodmoon had some flaws, I liked it too.
Which was probably why I found Misfit Toys even more disappointing because it just felt cheap with very little thought put into it.

But I guess that's the story of CO.
Lotta promise and potential but what we get keeps on disappointing.

Archived Post
02-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Like <insert opposite gender here> and <insert local cultural custom here> and <insert local sports franchise here>, amirite?

<rim shot>