PDA

View Full Version : Yay or Nay: Acrobatics

Archived Post
12-27-2009, 10:14 AM
I don't know how this sounds to everyone else, but to me the following ideas are considered decent:

I would really like to see acrobatics get some kind of ability to jump off of walls/obstacles. Its difficult to get around the city areas and some or the larger obstacles take forever to navigate. being able to get some additional height when in contact with a surface would do more for mobility without making it "OP".

and/or be able to run on vertical surfaces for a limited duration for the same reasons ( in addition to making the characters look AWESOME)

Acrobatics should come with a "dodge buff" or something that increases the effectiveness of dodge abilities.

-- So maybe not all of these ideas together, but I would happy to see 1 of them implemented or even considered. but TBH I havent experienced any other travel powers and im new to the whole scene. But adding more opportunities to do flips and what not is just a pure increase to quality :D

Archived Post
12-27-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm betting you're still using Level 1 Acrobatics. Get Level 2, and all your frustrations with leaping over objects will pretty much disappear. :) Cryptic did put a lot of protrustions for Acrobatic users to gain a foot hold on while on the way up, you just have to keep an eye out for them. As for the rest, well, if we give one travel power a debuff, then we have to give em all one, don't we?

Archived Post
12-27-2009, 12:25 PM
yep its still level 1. I had read one of the descriptions but the description itself looked like there was some error in it, and I just figured it was a broken upgrade. BUT ill get it a shot the next chance i get and see how much it improves.

Archived Post
12-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Some might disagree, but I'd avoid the upgrade "Versatility" and stick to simply rank 2 and later 3. The sheer frequency of your travel powers getting turned off in combat makes it hard to justify the points in my opinion.

That aside, it's a very useful power, sort of a jack of all trades travel method.

Archived Post
12-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Like others have said, Acro level 2 and up is really nice. You'll notice a major improvement.

That aside, what you're asking for is something that the devs actually showed interest in doing for Acrobatics and Super Speed, but apparently couldn't get to work right yet. It is something that we'll hopefully see in the future, and quite frankly the sheer fun factor of running/jumping up walls would completely make up for the lack of having free 360 degree mobility.

Archived Post
12-27-2009, 03:10 PM
y the sheer fun factor of running/jumping up walls would completely make up for the lack of having free 360 degree mobility.

Yea that was pretty much my main reason for wanting this.

If for some reason the devs actually listen to the players, then itd be great to share some ideas that everyone could agree upon.So far this game has been a big innovation of CoH and there is no reason for them to quit now, unless theyve already thrown in the towel and are going to coast in monthly fees lol.

I had never considered actually leveling up a mobility skill but i will definitely consider it. I would really like to see the mobility power have a presence in the face of combat performance though.

Archived Post
12-27-2009, 05:24 PM
As for the rest, well, if we give one travel power a debuff, then we have to give em all one, don't we?

Ok maybe I am misunderstanding you, but wouldn't increasing the dodge be a buff? Also swinging has this as an advantage already.

Archived Post
12-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Is it bad that I misread this topic title as "Narcotics, yay or nay?"?

Archived Post
12-27-2009, 10:16 PM
I'd like to see Acrobatics get more of a parkour feel to it too, while swinging has the gymnastic/trapeze act.
I've only got level 1, but it seems that when I jump at some steepl walls I'll just magically jump forever until i hit the top, or a portrusion. Now that's useful and all, but kinda stale.

Archived Post
12-28-2009, 12:11 AM
I had never considered actually leveling up a mobility skill but i will definitely consider it. I would really like to see the mobility power have a presence in the face of combat performance though.

Consider it. For acrobatics level 2 is pretty much a necessity.

ps. That magical 'jump forever' thing feels like a bug to me I agree, but I dont know if its needed in cases of acrobatics. I wish Acro user had the ability run up steeper surfaces than other people.

Archived Post
12-28-2009, 02:18 AM
i would like the abbilty to jump off walls!

it would make it easier to get to the top of the cage in UTC cage match and if they remove the "slide up the mountain bug" you would still have a chance to actually get over it instead of walking all the way around

Archived Post
12-28-2009, 02:20 AM
Apparently there's technical problems with allowing climbing; Cryptic has mentioned it as something they'd like to do if they could.

Archived Post
12-28-2009, 07:39 AM
What, do they act like its an impossibility? or just beyond their capable means?

Archived Post
12-28-2009, 07:58 AM
What, do they act like its an impossibility? or just beyond their capable means?

Well, a good programmer has only two limits on what they are capable of doing. Those are the hardware they are programming for and the time and effort they have available to actually program it. So no, it's not a complete impossibility, it's just not something that's easy. You'd have to get an answer from one of them on how likely it is to happen and how soon it could happen, of coarse.