PDA

View Full Version : Pit Wyrm final power for darkness

Archived Post
12-06-2009, 12:16 PM
I was thinking and i thought what if the darkness users could summon a pit wyrm for the final power in darkness? It would be like the fire worm/nightmare from those sets except black with cracked skin and lava flowing underneath so it looks like one of those rock/magma characters players design.

Archived Post
12-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Since the game thinks it's part of sorcery, it'd make sense for it to get a pet I guess.

Archived Post
12-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Has someone been reading Brent Week's Night Angel Trilogy, damn those books are good.

Archived Post
12-09-2009, 06:05 AM
Has someone been reading Brent Week's Night Angel Trilogy, damn those books are good.

hahaha, hit the nail right on the head. i'm amazed someone knew what that was, great book series and it would be a great power in the game. you could make a vurdmeister character lol, it woulf alsol be a great power addition to the darkness set and suits it perfectly

Archived Post
12-09-2009, 04:47 PM
pit wyrm would be nice ;be nicer if we could model it ourselves like the character maker so that we could have custom pets to fit our various backgrounds.

What I dont get is, why doesnt the dark tree have any darkness powers that block vision; heck even those gadget guys get a smoke screen; would be nice for a darkness guys to have a darkness power; especially if they can see though it; but maybe they do and I just dont have it yet; after all; am only level seven and i dont really have any idea what these darkness powers do which makes choosing them really hard.

Archived Post
12-09-2009, 04:58 PM
I'd rather have some sort of 'soul duplication' power, that gives you two clones of yourself.

Archived Post
12-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Darkness scales off of Con/End and pets are crap without Int/Pre, the devs might have to actually make a darkness pet scale off a different stat.

Archived Post
12-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Darkness scales off of Con/End and pets are crap without Int/Pre, the devs might have to actually make a darkness pet scale off a different stat.That true only if one is using shadow form. The passive is the main and only reason behind the recommended stats for that framework. This is true for electric (form), (personal) force (field), fire(y form), ice (form), darkness (shadow form),telekinesis (ego form), and celestial (seraphim). The others split the recommended stats between their passive and needs of the rest of the powers. A good example of this is power armor which split Con for invulnerability its passive and Int for the costs of its many potential multi-active toggles.

Archived Post
12-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Darkness scales off of Con/End and pets are crap without Int/Pre, the devs might have to actually make a darkness pet scale off a different stat.

they could do it very much like the lightning ball from the electric set, maybe throw in some controllability or something and worst case senario devs rescale the pet. I don't think it will come to that though

Archived Post
12-12-2009, 08:48 AM
The darkness powerset is intended to represent qliphothic energies, afaik; I mean, they use it for practically every qliphotic-oriented creature type, and relatively few others.

So it's more likely your pit wyrm would go better with ebon sorcery - since that's the paranormal set dealing with the netherworld. A better summon for darkness, if it ever got one, would probably be something more like a shoggoth (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Shoggoth_by_pahko.jpg) or flying polyp (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flying_Polyp.jpg).

since the qliphothic worlds are supposed to be the "WTF IS THAT THING" dimension.

Archived Post
12-12-2009, 10:29 AM
The darkness powerset is intended to represent qliphothic energies, afaik; I mean, they use it for practically every qliphotic-oriented creature type, and relatively few others.

So it's more likely your pit wyrm would go better with ebon sorcery - since that's the paranormal set dealing with the netherworld. A better summon for darkness, if it ever got one, would probably be something more like a shoggoth (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Shoggoth_by_pahko.jpg) or flying polyp (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flying_Polyp.jpg).

since the qliphothic worlds are supposed to be the "WTF IS THAT THING" dimension.

possibly but qilphothic is already taken care of by the new update and ebon sorcery is demons, darkness is nether. It might not sound like it but theres a distinct difference

Archived Post
12-12-2009, 12:42 PM
to be honest i would rather they didn't give a pet there's already a load of pets that would fit the general creature theme. What about some form of transformation instead where you become the creature for a set amount of time loosing your current powers and gaining a bunch of new ones.

It would be somthing a little diffrent.

Archived Post
12-12-2009, 02:37 PM
possibly but qilphothic is already taken care of by the new update and ebon sorcery is demons, darkness is nether. It might not sound like it but theres a distinct difference

You're not talking about celestial, are you? That's referencing elyisian origin to the powers, ultimately pointing to all the heavens of mankind, within the parterres. Anyway, doublecheck the lore - demons are from the netherworlds. Netherdemons vs great demon minions are still both ultimately from the near astral - the parterres.

how many non-qliphothic sources do you see utilising darkness powers, critterside? the minions i can recall off the top of my head, exclusing nemesis content, are lemurian bleak ones - qliphothic - and destroids - the new ones, made by shadow destroyer, plus his arena guards and shadowy destroyers in the nemesis confrontation instance. Also qliphothic. Oh, and necrull's undead minions, fashioned by his necrullitic energy, which he draws from a qliphothic portal in the burial mounds instance.
Bigger baddies include Eclipse in Canada, utilising a crown of krim perverted by the kings of edom - also qliphothic.

Darkness is not nether. And yes, there is a distinct difference.

Anyway. I'm not disagreeing with the original point that it would be awesome as hell if darkness had a summon somewhere in there. Darkness is a really wicked powerset that has somewhat few powers to choose from. A little variety would be nice, and since this powerset more than any other deals with rifting dimensions, being able to let something gross and horrifying out and then send it away? Priceless.

Archived Post
12-12-2009, 10:28 PM
What if maybe it didn't actually have a power to summon a creature, but say Ebon Rift got an advantage that gave it a chance for something to reach through the rift and attack things? Maybe then the power wouldn't be a worthless Tier 3? Or just completely rework it to this since it seems so useless compared to Shadow Embrace or Ego Storm? I'd much rather have it be a "rift" power that effectively summons some "unimaginable horror" that remains unimaginable because we never see more than small bits of it which reach through the dimensional tear to eat henchmen etc.

Archived Post
12-12-2009, 11:40 PM
ebon rift is an incredible bosskiller.

put voracious dispelling on it and use it on something immune to knockback. expect about 1000 damage per tic of the power, assuming they don't move. The power's situationally very, very useful.

Archived Post
12-13-2009, 11:00 AM
ebon rift is an incredible bosskiller.

put voracious dispelling on it and use it on something immune to knockback. expect about 1000 damage per tic of the power, assuming they don't move. The power's situationally very, very useful.

I thought that was labeled a bug and up for fixing? How do you tell if something's immune to knockback? Or do you just cast it and see if it dies quick? Without that advantage it seems to be pretty useless.

Let's compare it to another tier 3, Ego storm.

Energy cost initial is about the same.

Energy cost per tick, ES is about 40% more.

Damage wise, ER does fixed damage per tick, ES does scaling damage per tick that passes ER's fixed damage on like the second tick.

ER is 15 foot sphere, ES is 25 foot sphere.

ER appears 25 feet in front of you, ES appears on top of you.

Foes can run away from ER easily, but ES applies an inherent hold. Oh and it also feeds TP reverb, can't recall if ER creates fear to work with Spirit reverb, but I somehow doubt it.

The 2 point advantage makes ER useful IF you have a KB resist target and IF you position it right and IF the target doesn't run away. The 2 point advantage on ES lets you use other powers, block, build energy, etc while it continues dealing massive damage to held targets in a large radius.

ER has a 6 sec recharge, ES is 15 seconds.

So, it seems that for a 9 second difference in recharge time and a tiny bit of energy, you get 2.7x the area of effect, more damage, a free hold, free energy that more than repays the cost difference, the potential ability to multitask, less glitchy targeting, and no silly limitation on things it's effective against. Granted it's "only" what, 300 damage per tick to all targets instead of 1000 to KB resist targets only in a tiny area? Oh wait I forgot stacking buff/debuff from shadow form (which does it even buff ER's damage because it sure buffs ES damage), tk eruption, psi lash, ego placate, ego blade breach, and collective will.

Yeah those TOTALLY seem balanced.

Archived Post
12-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Yeah, you're absolutely right. As it currently is, it is only situationally very useful. I don't know about ebon rift chewing through knockback-immune targets being termed a bug, considering haymaker essentially does the same thing. Just... in melee and differently. AFAIK the easiest way to tell if a target's knockback immune is by it being an object, or by it having a gold or violet health bar.

Ego storm, on the other hand, is always useful.

Archived Post
12-13-2009, 11:33 AM
A darkness pet would be pretty pimp. Because of my theme I might swap out my undead for it if it was any good.

Archived Post
12-13-2009, 04:01 PM
What if maybe it didn't actually have a power to summon a creature, but say Ebon Rift got an advantage that gave it a chance for something to reach through the rift and attack things? Maybe then the power wouldn't be a worthless Tier 3? Or just completely rework it to this since it seems so useless compared to Shadow Embrace or Ego Storm? I'd much rather have it be a "rift" power that effectively summons some "unimaginable horror" that remains unimaginable because we never see more than small bits of it which reach through the dimensional tear to eat henchmen etc.

I like this idea give it some Dark embrace style tentacles coming thru the rift and dragging things to wards it for added nastiness

Archived Post
12-14-2009, 09:58 AM
I like this idea give it some Dark embrace style tentacles coming thru the rift and dragging things to wards it for added nastiness
Yeah, the knockback-immune bosses combined with an advantaged Ebon Rift has already been noted as due for adjustment by the devs, to the tune of "less damage if they're immune" and that'll pretty much bury the power.

So I'm all for changing it to a Rift that uses its own advantaged Shadow Embrace. :cool:

Archived Post
12-14-2009, 01:14 PM
I'd be happy if Ebon Rift was just a big area of negative repel with a high chance to fear but no damage, if it was an independent create like ES with Malevolent Manifestation. Darkness already has plenty of damage with Shadow Embrace IMHO, but it'd be nice to get all the enemies in one place and feared to use it or even use an out of framework power. Then put a 2 or 3 point advantage on it for the Rift Horror to poke tentacles out and take swipes at enemies that fall within melee range of it, and maybe he also radiates a modest dimensional damage resistance debuff since resist debuffs are all the rage right now. Having to go get Collective Will and have pink glowy things running around to buff my Darkness damage seems silly but there isn't much of an alternative within Darkness itself, and it'd be nice to fix that since you can't apply black coloring to powers as it is now.

I know people are going to be upset if they lose the KB-immune killing power, but since Devs have said that's in line for "adjustment" anyway, they might as well rework the whole power as more of a Darkness Support because without that one feature it's going to be a pretty useless power.

The question is, how do we get anyone who's working on it to listen to anything we say in this thread?

P.S. Is it just me or has Shadow Blast been made obsolete since Rebuke came out? The latter seems to do more damage, can double as a heal, and Admonish can stun without needing anything in advance so it can lead off from 100' range before henchmen target you. Am I just missing something?

Archived Post
12-14-2009, 03:31 PM
I

P.S. Is it just me or has Shadow Blast been made obsolete since Rebuke came out? The latter seems to do more damage, can double as a heal, and Admonish can stun without needing anything in advance so it can lead off from 100' range before henchmen target you. Am I just missing something?

Nope i don't think you are i only have it because its a dark power and as mentioned we cant colour powers black yet.

Archived Post
12-14-2009, 04:59 PM

it is a nice idea but its not really adding a new power just adding a advantage to ebon rift.

Archived Post
12-14-2009, 05:01 PM
to be honest i would rather they didn't give a pet there's already a load of pets that would fit the general creature theme. What about some form of transformation instead where you become the creature for a set amount of time loosing your current powers and gaining a bunch of new ones.

It would be somthing a little diffrent.

thats actually not a bad idea, im all for going rage mode or nether mode on critters