PDA

View Full Version : Build Advice - Tank Style

Archived Post
11-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Hey,

I am looking for some advice on a good tank build (I use the term loosly) basically I want to build a character that can take as much punishment as possible with great survivability. I am not bothered about sacrificing dps or crit whatsoever (obviousley the more the build can squeeze in thats great but the abillity to take punishment is the main trait I am looking for).

I have played around with various defensive passives and have found regeneration to be great but I am wondering if I should use something else as I haven't really tested defiance etc only at low levels and I wouldn't know what to take to compliment it or to get the most out of it so any advice would be appreciated.

I would prefer a predominatly melee based build with some AoE ability preferable. I will be mostly using for PvE.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out. :)

Archived Post
11-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Hmm.... well, you have a few options. Mind you, these are just my observations, not an actual "do this, I did this, it works" post:

If you go with Regen, then make sure you grab Con and probably either Rec or Pre, as Rec makes you heal better and Pre will make you generate more threat (which given your regen counts as "you're healing yourself," makes enemies despise you) as superstats. If you want to go with Invulnerability, go with Str and Con. If you want to just make a super-duper tank, then some of the new Celestial powers look like they're perfect for making tanks, and pair it with one or two might skills that generate threat and you're set. For a might and celestial-based set, I'd recommend probably this:

Con and Str superstatted, with Invuln for your defensive passive and Energy Shield to suck the most damage out of powers that hit your block.

Defensive Combo from Might, as well as probably Haymaker and possibly even Demolish (to help lower the enemy's defense).

One of the healing skills from Celestial (maybe Conduit?) and Imbue, which guarantees a critical on the next hit and which severity is determined by Con, not Ego.

Stick in Defensive mode, maybe gear your equipment towards Con and Pre.

Use Defensive combo to build threat, then demolish to reduce defense of the mob, then imbue yourself and use a charged Haymaker while praying the enemy doesn't move (a teammate holding the guy will help this).

Again, this is all on paper, and I think it looks good, but maybe you want to wait to hear from a more experienced person before making a judgement on this. This could end up royally sucking, and I don't wat to give you a build you can't use.

Archived Post
11-03-2009, 02:22 PM
You didn't say you were that worried about thread generation, so I'd say ..

1. CON/STR/Invul. Very solid build, and you can level with it from level 1 without any problems
2. DEX/CON/Lightning Reflexes. As far as I know, still the king-of-the-hill when it comes to L40 endgame tanking, but not nearly as nice to level with. Be prepared to sell your soul to the devil for dexterity if you go this route.
3. CON/REC/Regen. Easymode levelling build, especially if you include Resurgence (which scales off CON). Less effective at 40, but still insanely high survivability.

include CoPD and maybe Ego Sprites (with the heal advantage) in there and you're basically unkillable PvE-wise.

Archived Post
11-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Con/str/invuln with dual blades. Secondary stat dex and ego as you can.

Your dps won't be horrible, and with the right active defenses and self heals you should be nigh immortal. I recommend resurgence, masterful dodge, bountiful chi, and bionic shielding. Add in unbreakable if you want a third. Nanobot swarm if you want to be able to stack them.

It's pretty awesome.

Archived Post
11-03-2009, 03:58 PM
The following is a good tank build.

TK blades is the best melee in the game, take Kinetic darts energy builder, Ego blade frenzy, and ego blade breach.

Super stat Con and Rec,

Take Regen, Bountiful Chi Resurgence and CoTPD.

MR is still a good power.

Ego form.

Ego Sprites with Slave mentality advantage, and challenging strikes.

Hit Ego form, throw down a CoTPD, hit BCR, ego sprite, blade attack. Resurgence as needed.

With the healing from BCR, CoTPD and ego Sprite challenging strikes, you'll hold agro nicely, and heal very well.

I suggest Force Shield rank 3 with Force Sheath so you always have a full energy bar.

Archived Post
11-03-2009, 10:34 PM
There is a Tank thread in this forum. It seems a little stale though. But in that thread they lay out all the reasons that Lightning Refl works better as a damage mitigator than say Regen. You need to have high Dex though and I'm not sure that's still as feasible as it was a month ago (changes to crafting).

Archived Post
11-04-2009, 12:59 AM
Hey there,

Thanks everyone for your great advice it is just what I was looking for! I am going to take a little time to read it all through a few times and then test a couple out at the momnet I am leaning towards the Con/Str/Inv type builds but I want to check them all out so I make the right choice.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

-Joker :)