PDA

View Full Version : Wal*Mart 60 free days?

Archived Post
10-17-2009, 01:17 AM
I bought this game at Wal*Mart. It has a sticker proclaiming "Bonus! 60 Days of Online Play... $30.00 Value" on the cover, but when I entered the code into the system, I noticed I only had 30 days.

.. I can't find anything on google (it's just a myriad of different websites hawking the pre-release bargain) but I want to know what's up with this. Any answers?

Archived Post
10-17-2009, 01:46 AM
I purchased two copys today from Walmart today with the exact same thing how do we get 0ur other 30 days

Archived Post
10-17-2009, 01:56 AM
I purchased two copys today from Walmart today with the exact same thing how do we get 0ur other 30 days
Well, that sounds like a dilemma. I hope we can get an official response on this.

Archived Post
10-17-2009, 01:58 AM
Well, that sounds like a dilemma. I hope we can get an official response on this.

Id suspect a phonecall to billing is your only solution here.

Forum posts about payments get completely ignored by the community team.

Archived Post
10-17-2009, 02:50 AM

Good to see the Devs brought one thing over from World of ********...

Archived Post
10-17-2009, 03:07 AM
I've found my bonus items for both steam and a Target purchase in the cstore - you might try looking there. Just a shot in the dark.

While in game:

1 Click on "Menu" on your mini-map
2 Click on "C Store"
3 Look under the "Special Unlocks" tab, see if there's anything listed there.

Archived Post
10-17-2009, 05:58 AM
Calling Wal Mar Customer Service is always interesting. Not sure if they are human or if they actually DO anything, but there is an outside chance that the issue will make it's way to someone who cares if enough people do it.

Archived Post
10-17-2009, 10:30 AM
A friend of mine had this happen to him, I suggested he contact customer service at Cryptic before trying to talk to WalMart since, from personal experience, I've found the latter to be very unprofessional and a waste of time.

I'll let him know that he's not the only one having this particular issue.

Archived Post
10-17-2009, 11:18 AM

Especially when posted in the wrong forum, when a call to the retailer who offered the special would have been the logical move, or failing that Cryptic's subscription department.

Archived Post
10-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Especially when posted in the wrong forum, when a call to the retailer who offered the special would have been the logical move, or failing that Cryptic's subscription department.

WalMart actually did something dumb for me with CO at the customer service level that I'm not gonna talk about or suggest it will work ever again. But definitely give them a call. :)

Archived Post
10-17-2009, 11:29 AM

Bah! Where's the challenge in that? You probably use Phillips head screwdrivers to screw in Phillips head screws. Much more challenging to use pliers.

:D

Archived Post
10-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Bah! Where's the challenge in that? You probably use Phillips head screwdrivers to screw in Phillips head screws. Much more challenging to use pliers.

:D

Never trivialize the power of Vise-Grip (http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/visegrip/visegrip.jhtml) pliers

Archived Post
10-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Call Cryptic's Billing dept. on Monday, not Wallyworld's. I've dealt with them a few times for various things and they've never kept me waiting and have always been helpful and on the ball.

Phone number and hours are at the bottom of this page (http://champions-online.com/support/billing). Hope you get it worked out!

Archived Post
10-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Call Cryptic's Billing dept. on Monday, not Wallyworld's. I've dealt with them a few times for various things and they've never kept me waiting and have always been helpful and on the ball.

Phone number and hours are at the bottom of this page (http://champions-online.com/support/billing). Hope you get it worked out!

If it's an account adjustment issue Crptics people are awesome and I do not doubt you are right. But if it's an item distribution problem created by WalMart (IE: a gamecard or different packaging that was supposed to be given) then Cryptic will refer you to the distributor. I was supposed to get a promo package and got a standard in my case.

Archived Post
10-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Please post here if you resolve this, as I have the same issue.

Archived Post
10-18-2009, 06:38 PM
I don't think you have to do anything at all. My son bought Champions Online at Target, but the account information says "Champions Online Retail - Walmart". When his 30 days expired, we were expecting for the game to stop working, but he was able to keep playing.

So it seems that you get the 60 days, even though it only SHOWS 30 days.

Archived Post
10-18-2009, 06:54 PM
I've been hearing there's an issue at the moment where most or all canceled/expired accounts are still able to play, so I'm not comfortable counting on that for my 60 extra days. Thank you though.

Archived Post
10-18-2009, 06:55 PM
It shouldn't matter, because the game is f2p right now anyway, if several who have canceled and are still posting are to be believed.

Archived Post
10-18-2009, 07:09 PM
They've already explained that there is a several day delay between account expiration and access cancellation.

Archived Post
10-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Since you do not get charged for subscription until the 30 days bonus for the game is used up first, I suspect that the second bonus is not applied until the game 30 days is used, then after the second bonus is done you wil l then be charged for your subscription.
The time displayed to play is only based on the current subscription/bonus time.

Archived Post
10-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Since you do not get charged for subscription until the 30 days bonus for the game is used up first, I suspect that the second bonus is not applied until the game 30 days is used, then after the second bonus is done you wil l then be charged for your subscription.
The time displayed to play is only based on the current subscription/bonus time.

It lists the date when the next bill is due. When I bought the game it was 30 days away. After I entered a 60 day game card it was 60 days from the first date shown - totaling 90 days from first registration. If they are seeing a next bill date 30 days from when they registered, then they did not get the 60 day activation promised them by the stickers.

To make matters worse... 60 day game cards are the $29.99 value promised them by the stickers so they should be getting 90 days total right off the bat since the first 30 days are included in the base price of the box. Maybe there was a game card in the box they just didn't notice?

Archived Post
10-19-2009, 11:24 AM
I don't think you have to do anything at all. My son bought Champions Online at Target, but the account information says "Champions Online Retail - Walmart". When his 30 days expired, we were expecting for the game to stop working, but he was able to keep playing.

So it seems that you get the 60 days, even though it only SHOWS 30 days.

Everyone is still able to play and post after canceling there CO sub, some are up to the 2 week mark on free play time. So I wouldn't count on that being the case as even people with 30 days free printed on there box are still able to log in a good while after they were supposed to be canceled.

Archived Post
10-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Don't call Wal Mart - they arent Cryptic, and as such, are not in a position to uphold any contractual obligations upheld by the advertising of one of their products - meaning, while they can refund your product, it doesn't mean they know how to operate said product. Remember, they're just a retail outlet, not a gaming production company - just because they work in the electronics department doesn't mean they know how to start up and operate every single product from every single company they sell.

Id say call Cryptic, and in the event that they can't help you, return your copy; there are much better bonus items, such as the steam punk action figure from Steam or the Grond action figure from Best Buy (I got mine from Game Stop, some stupid insect wings, not worth it)

Remember, some states have laws against returning video games and music, as you can burn the game or music CD to another disc and simply return the product for

Archived Post
10-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Don't call Wal Mart - they arent Cryptic, and as such, are not in a position to uphold any contractual obligations upheld by the advertising of one of their products -

Well I happen to know that's wrong.

But they fixed my problem with CO fair enough,

and calling them doesn't hurt anything. In many ceses I would just call both because both are involved in the problem to some extent.

It depends on the actual item - If they sold you a standard edition when you were supposed to get a special edition, sometimes that would be a mix-up, and is the distributor's fault.

Much of the failure to provide keys at GameStop was also the distributor. So it depends on the item and the advertising.

Archived Post
10-20-2009, 10:56 AM
I had the same issue. I called Cryptic's billing support and they had me read off the initial 5 characters in the game key. Once that was done, I got the extra 30 days. It took maybe 5 minutes total!

Archived Post
10-20-2009, 11:03 AM

You really think the people at Walmart's customers support are going to know more about Cryptic's subscription system than Cryptic's subscription department? You think that's the first best choice? :confused:

I really don't understand the whole "Cryptic can do no wrong, the problem is with you/Walmart/God/Everything else but the maker of the game" attitude rampant on the forums as of late. Or maybe I do...the sane have left, and I'm stuck with the loonies in the asylum.

Archived Post
10-22-2009, 01:47 AM

Calling the retailer wouldn't be the logical move at all...they have no control over CO billing systems, no access to CO officials unless you're talking to head guys tht you'll never get to answer your call, nor would they know how to implement gametime even if they did...the best bet would be asking Cryptic, and if they don't answer, that probably means that its a big problem that they're aware of and just keep bugging.

Archived Post
10-22-2009, 01:51 AM
Well I happen to know that's wrong.

But they fixed my problem with CO fair enough,

and calling them doesn't hurt anything. In many ceses I would just call both because both are involved in the problem to some extent.

It depends on the actual item - If they sold you a standard edition when you were supposed to get a special edition, sometimes that would be a mix-up, and is the distributor's fault.

Much of the failure to provide keys at GameStop was also the distributor. So it depends on the item and the advertising.

It's not wrong...wal-mart can't enforce Cryptic's contractual obligations. THey can take it upon themselves to do something for their customers out of their own pockets or they can ask Cryptic on your behalf, but they can't make Cryptic do anything, short of maybe a restitution action based on the free time that their products didn't come with, but since it was free and they probably didn't pay extra for that edition (since it was the same price as the free 30days) they'd have no legal harm, so again..nothing. :)

Archived Post
10-25-2009, 11:52 AM
So is there still no resolution to this issue? Should I call walmart for a gamecard or cryptic to add my days?

And it should be 90 days right? not 60....

I am pretty pev'd being this was the main reason I finally got the game was the free days and new price.......

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 03:35 AM
So is there still no resolution to this issue? Should I call walmart for a gamecard or cryptic to add my days?

And it should be 90 days right? not 60....

I am pretty pev'd being this was the main reason I finally got the game was the free days and new price.......

So, have we found out how this worked out?

Despite my many issues with CO, and my current financial problems, I finally convinced myself to buy this title. What sold me was the idea that I was gonna pay the box price, and get a total of 90 days worth of play out of it before I'd have to pay (more). After all, when you buy an MMO you automatically EXPECT that the first 30 days is "free", i.e. included with the box price. When the sticker on the box says "BONUS! 60 DAYS OF ONLINE PLAY $30.00 VALUE", you are going to conclude that the "bonus 60 days" is IN ADDITION TO the 30 days you would normally get. After all, it's a "BONUS", and they even give the value, which is the standard fee for 2 months of a paid MMO subscription!

I've heard a few people have called Cryptic and gotten their "extra 30 days" added to their account, but I think those people are getting ripped off. The package doesn't say "BONUS! 30 DAYS...", it is clearly offering a bonus of 60 days of online play. If a box offers a bonus action figure or collectible item or in-game pet, etc., that's exactly what you expect to get. An item that is an addition to the standard purchase, which is the game and 30 days worth of online play.

If I had known this was gonna be an issue, I would have put the game right back down on the shelf where I found it. I mean, I bought the title, despite the fact that it seems to have compatibility issues with my hardware! The only other game that does that is DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online), but I tolerate it cuz it's free to play! :p

I have every intention of calling Cryptic in the morning, but I'm gonna be extremely disappointed if they don't give me an additional 60 days worth of play, as was advertised on the sticker. Has anyone actually gotten the "BONUS 60 DAYS", meaning the standard 30, plus 60 more?

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 05:47 AM
I have every intention of calling Cryptic in the morning, but I'm gonna be extremely disappointed if they don't give me an additional 60 days worth of play, as was advertised on the sticker. Has anyone actually gotten the "BONUS 60 DAYS", meaning the standard 30, plus 60 more?

Prepare for disappointment then. The Wal-Mart bonus works out to be 60 days (as advertised on the box) which is 30 days longer than any other retailer's free playtime. But 60 means 60, it doesn't mean 90. Sorry to have to break it to you.

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 05:48 AM

Just out of curiosity, what did Wal*Mart say when you asked them about their sticker?

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 06:11 AM
oh look another complaint based on an assumption

this is why you read things at face value, dont just assume things will work the way you want them

60 free days, means 60 free
not 30 + 60, unless it somehow says 30 trial days somewhere on there + 60 free days, which it DID NOT in this case

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 07:06 AM
When I was a kid, 60 equaled 60. When did that change?

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 07:17 AM
People and their assumptions make me laugh.

People whining about their assumptions being wrong makes me laugh harder.

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks for all the snarky remarks. I never ASKED Wal-Mart about it, cuz I picked it up at 1 AM and didn't really think to ask while I was at the store. I figured there would be a bonus card or something inside.

I know that 60 means 60. I also assume that you all would have been disappointed if you had bought the box off the shelf that DIDN'T say anything about any "free" play time, and didn't get the assumed 30 days that EVERY MMO comes with.

30 days free is an assumed standard, no? If something is advertised as a bonus, would you not expect that to be free, in addition to what you would NORMALLY expect from the product? Whether it's bonus play time or some other bonus?

Oh also, thanks for all the helpful comments. I was hoping that maybe SOMEONE WHO HAD EXPERIENCED THIS would reply. Not a bunch of trolls.

Edit: Sorry Wanders, I didn't mean to include you amongst the trolls. Your question at least was valid. But to everyone else... The case still remains that I only got the standard 30 days, not the standard 30 plus 60 "BONUS", and not even 60 days. 30. So that means I didn't get what was advertised, no matter how you spin it.

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Edit: Sorry Wanders, I didn't mean to include you amongst the trolls. Your question at least was valid.

Thanks for adding that, since I was like D: when I was reading the rest. :) Anyway, I wasn't thinking of you asking when you bought it so much as when calling their customer service at some point later.

The problems with the Wal*Mart sticker thing has always seemed a little weird... like someone at one place or the other okayed the sticker even though the actual deal wasn't settled, or something like that. So, I was curious if the Wal*Mart position was =60 or +60 (or if they would be "heh... oops!"). Probably it would just be "We don't know, sir" even though it was their own offer, but maybe I am being too cynical. :/

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks for all the snarky remarks. I never ASKED Wal-Mart about it, cuz I picked it up at 1 AM and didn't really think to ask while I was at the store. I figured there would be a bonus card or something inside.

I know that 60 means 60. I also assume that you all would have been disappointed if you had bought the box off the shelf that DIDN'T say anything about any "free" play time, and didn't get the assumed 30 days that EVERY MMO comes with.

30 days free is an assumed standard, no? If something is advertised as a bonus, would you not expect that to be free, in addition to what you would NORMALLY expect from the product? Whether it's bonus play time or some other bonus?

Oh also, thanks for all the helpful comments. I was hoping that maybe SOMEONE WHO HAD EXPERIENCED THIS would reply. Not a bunch of trolls.

Edit: Sorry Wanders, I didn't mean to include you amongst the trolls. Your question at least was valid. But to everyone else... The case still remains that I only got the standard 30 days, not the standard 30 plus 60 "BONUS", and not even 60 days. 30. So that means I didn't get what was advertised, no matter how you spin it.

Let me get this straight...

The sticker said 60 free days

You received 60 free days but are ****ed it wasn't 90 days like you ASSUMED?

Yeah I'm the idiot here.

Carry on.

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks for adding that, since I was like D: when I was reading the rest. :) Anyway, I wasn't thinking of you asking when you bought it so much as when calling their customer service at some point later.

The problems with the Wal*Mart sticker thing has always seemed a little weird... like someone at one place or the other okayed the sticker even though the actual deal wasn't settled, or something like that. So, I was curious if the Wal*Mart position was =60 or +60 (or if they would be "heh... oops!"). Probably it would just be "We don't know, sir" even though it was their own offer, but maybe I am being too cynical. :/

Yeah, I haven't contacted them yet to find out what the deal is, but I'm on the cynical side as well. If I had put in the code and gotten 60 days... I would have been disappointed, but probably just rolled my eyes, said to myself "that figures", and moved on. But since I only got 30 days, that left me wondering.

Let me get this straight...

The sticker said 60 free days

You received 60 free days but are ****ed it wasn't 90 days like you ASSUMED?

Yeah I'm the idiot here.

Carry on.

Since you seem to be confused, even though I typed into previous posts the EXACT wording, I went to the extra effort to scan it in and make a .jpeg for you. :) I'm so thoughtful.

And no, I didn't even get 60 days. I got 30. That's not what is being advertised here. See for yourself.

edit: and if it's of any consequence, the yellow sticker and ESRB rating sticker are both on the same plastic film that is standard for most DVD/Blu-Ray Discs, and many games, and every copy of CO at Wal*Mart was exactly like this.

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 04:21 PM
I would look at that sticker and assume I got 60 days of free play, not 90.

You know why?

Because it says 60, not 90.

I'm no fanboy of this game, but I am a fanboy of common sense and common sense says that any retailer is going to advertise their deals in the best light possible. With that in mind, no one should have assumed 90 free days of playtime.

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Should I have assumed only 30?

The ONLY reason I think it should be 90 is because EVERY MMO YOU BUY GIVES YOU 30 DAYS OF PLAY JUST FOR BUYING IT, and that sticker says the "BONUS" is a "$30 VALUE", which translates to 2 PAID months of game play as a "BONUS".

Have you ever bought an MMO and thought "When I get this home I'm gonna have to pay another $15 before I can play"? Of course not, that would be ridiculous.

Nevertheless, I did ALSO state that if I had gotten 60 days of play when I put in my code, I would have rolled my eyes and thought "that figures, stupid corporate America doing anything they can to twist the truth to get more money", but I wouldn't be here on the forums about it, I would have just sucked it up as corporate money-grubbing.

BUT I DIDN'T GET 60 DAYS! I GOT 30!!! That makes it false advertising, any way you spin it.

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 07:56 PM

The ONLY reason I think it should be 90 is because EVERY MMO YOU BUY GIVES YOU 30 DAYS OF PLAY JUST FOR BUYING IT, and that sticker says the "BONUS" is a "$30 VALUE", which translates to 2 PAID months of game play as a "BONUS".

Have you ever bought an MMO and thought "When I get this home I'm gonna have to pay another $15 before I can play"? Of course not, that would be ridiculous.

Nevertheless, I did ALSO state that if I had gotten 60 days of play when I put in my code, I would have rolled my eyes and thought "that figures, stupid corporate America doing anything they can to twist the truth to get more money", but I wouldn't be here on the forums about it, I would have just sucked it up as corporate money-grubbing.

BUT I DIDN'T GET 60 DAYS! I GOT 30!!! That makes it false advertising, any way you spin it.

You should have assumed 60. Not 30. Not 90. 60.

Most MMO's say somewhere on the packaging "30 days of playtime included." Instead of that, you had a yellow sticker which said 60. That didn't mean it was 30 + 60, it meant that the 30 was in place of the 60. Assuming 90 was foolish.

Now, that being said, the fact that you only got 30 sucks. That actually IS a problem, and one that is not your fault. But, that's a separate issue than thinking you should have gotten 90 days of playtime.

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 08:00 PM
You should have assumed 60. Not 30. Not 90. 60.

Most MMO's say somewhere n the packaging "30 days of playtime included." Instead of that, you had a yellow sticker which said 60. That didn't mean it was 30 + 60, it meant that the 30 was in place of the 60. Assuming 90 was foolish.

Now, that being said, the fact that you only got 30 sucks. That actually IS a problem, and one that is not your fault. But, that's a separate issue than thinking you should have gotten 90 days of playtime.

calling up the billing dept fixes this easy, something with walmarts codes causes them all to only give 30 instead of 60

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I haven't contacted them yet to find out what the deal is, but I'm on the cynical side as well. If I had put in the code and gotten 60 days... I would have been disappointed, but probably just rolled my eyes, said to myself "that figures", and moved on. But since I only got 30 days, that left me wondering.

Since you seem to be confused, even though I typed into previous posts the EXACT wording, I went to the extra effort to scan it in and make a .jpeg for you. :) I'm so thoughtful.

And no, I didn't even get 60 days. I got 30. That's not what is being advertised here. See for yourself.

edit: and if it's of any consequence, the yellow sticker and ESRB rating sticker are both on the same plastic film that is standard for most DVD/Blu-Ray Discs, and many games, and every copy of CO at Wal*Mart was exactly like this.

Dude I'm not confused.

You bought something that says on a big yellow sticker 60 days free game time and are here complaining that you didn't get 90 like you thought it meant. You're problem you can't comprehend.

What part don't you get? YOU ASSUMED WRONG. Get over it already.

The only thing you can continue to ***** about is that you only received 30 days instead of the promised 60 days. Call up Cryptic CS they can most likely help you out. I've dealt with them once before and they were very efficient, polite and helpful.

Has it really come to the time that companies now have to start listing everything that doesn't come with a product/service so that people can't assume things? Seriously?

Here's a tip for the future. Never assume anything ever again so you won't be disappointed. Whatever is printed in plain english is what you will get. If you get something extra then you will be pleasantly surprised. :)

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 09:40 PM
DELETED

10chars

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 09:42 PM
Here's a tip, Greyle:

Crawl back under your bridge.

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Here's a tip, Greyle:

Crawl back under your bridge.

Here's a better tip go back to school and take reading comprehension 101.

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 10:06 PM
You don't get it. I actually only really EXPECTED a grand total of 60 days. I know how corporate America works and thinks. I get it. But the implication of what that little sticker is suggesting is "buy me and you'll get an extra 60 days of game play ON TOP OF what you would normally get for buying the game."

I know you think I'm some kind of idiot, but I never would have even dropped a question here if I had gotten 60 days when I had input the code. Since I didn't buy a box that DIDN'T come with that sticker... you tell me. Does it say anything on the box about 30 days of play being included? If yes, you case holds water. If no, would you have felt cheated if there had not been 30 days included?

Even though I would have accepted a total of 60 days, I would have felt cheated by corporate B.S. I'm glad everyone is so content with being prison ***** by big business that they happily accept that only half of the bonus that is advertised as a bonus MAY actually be a bonus, while the other half is just what you would normally get. The "BONUS" would only be a $15 value, because every MMO includes the first month as part of it's box price. Y'all make sure to look back, lick your lips and smile really sexy-like while your taking that. Personally, I'd rather call them on their bogus advertising tactics.

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 10:08 PM
You don't get it. I actually only really EXPECTED a grand total of 60 days. I know how corporate America works and thinks. I get it. But the implication of what that little sticker is suggesting is "buy me and you'll get an extra 60 days of game play ON TOP OF what you would normally get for buying the game."

I know you think I'm some kind of idiot, but I never would have even dropped a question here if I had gotten 60 days when I had input the code. Since I didn't buy a box that DIDN'T come with that sticker... you tell me. Does it say anything on the box about 30 days of play being included? If yes, you case holds water. If no, would you have felt cheated if there had not been 30 days included?

Even though I would have accepted a total of 60 days, I would have felt cheated by corporate B.S. I'm glad everyone is so content with being prison ***** by big business that they happily accept that only half of the bonus that is advertised as a bonus MAY actually be a bonus, while the other half is just what you would normally get. The "BONUS" would only be a $15 value, because every MMO includes the first month as part of it's box price. Y'all make sure to look back, lick your lips and smile really sexy-like while your taking that. Personally, I'd rather call them on their bogus advertising tactics.

i understood ya, problem is, there are so many people on here who have been posting that do fall under said idiot catagory, with really wild assumptions, that people now just go after everyone claiming such

as i stated before, its a walmart issue, just call cryptic and they will fix it real quick for you, youll get the missing 30 days ya were supposed to get

ps: any further pointing out that it was a marketing scheme and you might as well be in with all the naysayer consipitists most people in this thread are sick of. every store out there pulls these tricks, why do you think stuff cost 14.99 and not 15.00, because people see the 14, and not the cents, and think its cheaper as such, the same way they can call 60 days a 30 dollar value, cuz it is, 60 days of playtime is worth 30 dollars, regardless of wether youd always normaly get 30 free)

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 10:10 PM
You don't get it. I actually only really EXPECTED a grand total of 60 days.

Then what the **** are you *****ing about? You got what you expected but expected more? Is it me or you? Who's the crazy person here?

Are you *****ing about corporate advertising policies now instead? Is that what this is all about now? That sure is some roundabout way of getting to your point dude, 5 pages after the OP.

BTW I read that sticker on your scan. Not in my wildest dreams would I have assumed 60 meant 90. I would take it at face value as 30 extra days on top of the 30 days that normally come with MMO's. You read more into it than there was. Again your mistake and not any shoddy advertising practices there.

I'm sure it hurts to have people not agree with you and validate your feelings. If that sticker in anyway inferred 90 days then I would say you had a case and would be busting Cryptic's ass to make sure everyone got the 90 days as stated but it doesn't so I can't.

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 10:53 PM
@ Greyle:

You think too highly of yourself if you think you're "hurting my feelings". There is nothing that can be said by some random nobody on the internet that will actually "hurt my feelings." Yes, I foolishly let you get my ire up, but it's more of a "punch you in the face" sort of feeling than a "QQ with my blanky" feeling. And that's only because I was hoping to get a response from someone else who had this issue, not some snarky nobody with nothing useful to contribute. Anger happened, but it has passed. If you don't think it was an inference to draw in more consumers, that's fantastic.

@ TheVedis:

OMG, It's a CONSPIRACY I tell ya! THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING! LOL! ;)

Seriously, I do still consider it a shady ploy, but nothing that businesses don't pull all the time. That doesn't make it okay, that just makes it a sad normality. The inference that it's an addition to what you would normally get is there, even if that's not the actual meaning.

I had a bunch more typed here about inferences and technicalities, but I decided that it was just more ranting. I don't need validation from the online community. And I'm certainly glad I don't come to these games and forums to make friends. :p

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 11:14 PM
@ Greyle:

You think too highly of yourself if you think you're "hurting my feelings". There is nothing that can be said by some random nobody on the internet that will actually "hurt my feelings." Yes, I foolishly let you get my ire up, but it's more of a "punch you in the face" sort of feeling than a "QQ with my blanky" feeling. And that's only because I was hoping to get a response from someone else who had this issue, not some snarky nobody with nothing useful to contribute. Anger happened, but it has passed. If you don't think it was an inference to draw in more consumers, that's fantastic.

@ TheVedis:

OMG, It's a CONSPIRACY I tell ya! THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING! LOL! ;)

Seriously, I do still consider it a shady ploy, but nothing that businesses don't pull all the time. That doesn't make it okay, that just makes it a sad normality. The inference that it's an addition to what you would normally get is there, even if that's not the actual meaning.

I had a bunch more typed here about inferences and technicalities, but I decided that it was just more ranting. I don't need validation from the online community. And I'm certainly glad I don't come to these games and forums to make friends. :p

Again you assumed something incorrectly but this time I'll let you figure it out for yourself instead of trying to point out how you are wrong again.

The old saying "Teach a man to fish..." really applies here.

Archived Post
11-24-2009, 11:17 PM
I bought a package of Juicy Fruit gum the other day, and you know what? THERE'S NO DAMN FRUIT IN THERE!!!!

Archived Post
11-25-2009, 12:06 AM

It's not false advertising, it's a false assumption. Pretty much every MMO ever has given the first 30 days for free, but pretty much every MMO ever has advertised that as "Play free for 30 days!" on the box, as well. Cryptic advertised 60 days instead of the 30 that appears on pretty much every box for pretty much every MMO ever, and that's precisely what you got. That's not false advertising at all, it's you making an assumption based on an invalid conclusion. You ASSUMED that, because the industry standard is to give the player free play for the first month, that it's required of every game IN ADDITION to any other bonus time they offer. That's a logical fallacy. Unless the box said "Includes 30 days of free game time, plus a bonus 60 days", you ASSUMED the 30 days. That's your error, not Cryptic's.

Archived Post
11-25-2009, 12:18 AM
Again you assumed something incorrectly but this time I'll let you figure it out for yourself instead of trying to point out how you are wrong again.

The old saying "Teach a man to fish..." really applies here.

You're right. I assumed I'd get useful, helpful feedback on an internet forum, and I assumed it would be the ones who had experience with this issue who would post a response, rather than the toll collectors. Big mistake! :eek:

And Steelhawk... I think you should call your lawyer and SUE!!! :p Except that the name of the product is Juicy Fruit, but it's clearly labeled as chewing gum. They probably picked that name because "Chewing Gum" is pretty generic, and "Steaming Turd" probably isn't the name of a product people would want to put in their mouth. But we're not here to talk about fetishes. 8X

If that package of gum advertised "THREE TIMES MORE! TRIPLE THE VALUE!" And then it contained exactly the same amount and the people at Juicy Fruit said "Oh, well we meant 'three times more flavor', which is like being worth triple the value", you'd probably feel ripped off.

And I can use this because I didn't even get my "BONUS" 60 days. I got the standard 30. Unfortunately I have to monitor loud little children most of the day, and they make it difficult to make phone calls to get resolutions to these problems when they come up. Hence why my first step was to find out if anyone else had gotten a resolution to this problem.

Archived Post
11-25-2009, 12:23 AM
It's not false advertising, it's a false assumption. Pretty much every MMO ever has given the first 30 days for free, but pretty much every MMO ever has advertised that as "Play free for 30 days!" on the box, as well. Cryptic advertised 60 days instead of the 30 that appears on pretty much every box for pretty much every MMO ever, and that's precisely what you got. That's not false advertising at all, it's you making an assumption based on an invalid conclusion. You ASSUMED that, because the industry standard is to give the player free play for the first month, that it's required of every game IN ADDITION to any other bonus time they offer. That's a logical fallacy. Unless the box said "Includes 30 days of free game time, plus a bonus 60 days", you ASSUMED the 30 days. That's your error, not Cryptic's.

Would you have felt cheated if your box didn't say "30 days of free online play" and then you didn't get 30 days free, even though you just shelled out $30-50 for the game?

Of course you would have, and rightly so. You would have assumed there was a "free" first month with the purchase of the game, even though it wasn't printed on the package, because that's the industry standard.

But you're wrong. I didn't get what the sticker promised in ANYONE'S interpretation of the meaning. I got 30 days. Make sure you read everything before you tell someone what they did and didn't get. ;)

Archived Post
11-25-2009, 01:45 AM
Would you have felt cheated if your box didn't say "30 days of free online play" and then you didn't get 30 days free, even though you just shelled out $30-50 for the game?

Of course you would have, and rightly so. You would have assumed there was a "free" first month with the purchase of the game, even though it wasn't printed on the package, because that's the industry standard.

But you're wrong. I didn't get what the sticker promised in ANYONE'S interpretation of the meaning. I got 30 days. Make sure you read everything before you tell someone what they did and didn't get. ;)

Yes, and it has already been explained to you that you need to contact Billing Support with that issue. That's not what I'm talking about at all, I'm talking about whining that you didn't get 90 days of free play when the box clearly says 60. I'm sorry you only got 30, and that's definitely an error, but you weren't supposed to get 90 either. You were supposed to get 60, and when Billing Support corrects the issue you'll have gotten 60. I read this entire thread very thoroughly, and I didn't see any reason to rehash what had already been said and instead addressed the new direction the thread has gone in. So, thank you for your "advice", but it's unnecessary. I read everything, and I understand exactly what this thread was about and what it is about now.

Also, please do not make assumptions about what would or would not make me feel cheated. If the box didn't advertise 30 days of free play, I would not feel cheated if I did not get 30 days of free play. I, unlike some, read the box to verify system requirements and to make sure I understand what I'm purchasing before I buy it. It's a good habit to get into, just so you know.

Archived Post
11-25-2009, 06:17 AM
You're right. I assumed I'd get useful, helpful feedback on an internet forum, and I assumed it would be the ones who had experience with this issue who would post a response, rather than the toll collectors. Big mistake! :eek:

And Steelhawk... I think you should call your lawyer and SUE!!! :p Except that the name of the product is Juicy Fruit, but it's clearly labeled as chewing gum. They probably picked that name because "Chewing Gum" is pretty generic, and "Steaming Turd" probably isn't the name of a product people would want to put in their mouth. But we're not here to talk about fetishes. 8X

If that package of gum advertised "THREE TIMES MORE! TRIPLE THE VALUE!" And then it contained exactly the same amount and the people at Juicy Fruit said "Oh, well we meant 'three times more flavor', which is like being worth triple the value", you'd probably feel ripped off.

And I can use this because I didn't even get my "BONUS" 60 days. I got the standard 30. Unfortunately I have to monitor loud little children most of the day, and they make it difficult to make phone calls to get resolutions to these problems when they come up. Hence why my first step was to find out if anyone else had gotten a resolution to this problem.

You did get helpful feedback at first. You chose not to listen and plug your ears because it wasn't what you wanted to hear. Again no one's fault but your own.

Do yourself a favour and go back and reread the whole thread. Nobody thinks you are right in expecting 90 days. What does that tell you?

You are just too stubborn to admit you are wrong in this case and became defensive about your position which is why this thread is 5 pages longer than it should be.

Archived Post
11-29-2009, 01:37 PM
More and more LIES that the fanbois will defend.

When will it sink in, THEY CAN NOT TELL THE TRUTH.

Lee

Archived Post
11-29-2009, 02:09 PM
More and more LIES that the fanbois will defend.
When will it sink in, THEY CAN NOT TELL THE TRUTH.

Troll on, you crazy diamond.

Archived Post
01-03-2010, 11:40 AM
I just bought the Walmart Bonus! 60 Days of online play retail box yesterday, and I also assumed it meant 60 days over the trial. Mine has a small sticker on the bottom, say Monthly Subscription Required, and under that "30 day trail included with purchase". On a separate sticker. So, I also assume that you get 30 days with purchase, and 60 days BONUS! time. The fact that there is 2 stickers, each stating time on it, I can only assume that we should 90 days...

Archived Post
01-03-2010, 11:45 AM
I just bought the Walmart Bonus! 60 Days of online play retail box yesterday, and I also assumed it meant 60 days over the trial. Mine has a small sticker on the bottom, say Monthly Subscription Required, and under that "30 day trail included with purchase". On a separate sticker. So, I also assume that you get 30 days with purchase, and 60 days BONUS! time. The fact that there is 2 stickers, each stating time on it, I can only assume that we should 90 days...

Blame Walmart for that one...still no where on the entire box did it say 90 Days. If it was 90 days total they would of said that. Consumers need to learn not to read more into things than what is stated. Doing so always leads to 1. Complaints which just make anyone in the retail business laugh about you behind your back and 2. Disappointment

If it says 60..it means 60. I do agree that the stickers that walmart is using are very confusing. It should clearly state "bonus 30 days along with standard trial" or something like that in small print.