PDA

View Full Version : So I converted 2 out of 3 buddy keys...

Archived Post
10-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Now what? Im sure at some time in the future, there will be some kind of reward for doing so. All of the many online games Ive played have some kind of perk (free month, free ingame goodies, sometimes both) associated with doing so, but none are set up here (as far as I know).

Aside from the eternal gratitude of the developers, moderators, and CO community...is there anything I can get for converting 2 of these buddy keys to full memberships? And hey, these were people who showed zero interest in even trying CO. Im thinking suitable rewards could include Cryptic Points, unique costume options, or even a really nifty forum handle (Superpimp?) As it is, an extra month really wouldnt do me much good as a lifetimer.

Archived Post
10-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Now what? Im sure at some time in the future, there will be some kind of reward for doing so. All of the many online games Ive played have some kind of perk (free month, free ingame goodies, sometimes both) associated with doing so, but none are set up here (as far as I know).

Aside from the eternal gratitude of the developers, moderators, and CO community...is there anything I can get for converting 2 of these buddy keys to full memberships? And hey, these were people who showed zero interest in even trying CO. Im thinking suitable rewards could include Cryptic Points, unique costume options, or even a really nifty forum handle (Superpimp?) As it is, an extra month really wouldnt do me much good as a lifetimer.

They do not have rewards set up at the moment.

Archived Post
10-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Can I ask where you got the buddy keys? Is this yet another bonus to buy from American retailers when us EU guys got jack?

Archived Post
10-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Lifetime subs got 3 trial keys to give out. Now the OP will have two people wanting to beat him up for playing this.

Archived Post
10-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I am of the mind that those of us able to give out trials should definitely be rewarded if the people we give them to start paying to play.

-Character Slots
-Rare Weapons Replacements -Gatling Pistols
-Perk Points
-Action Figures
-Character Slots
-Character Slots
-Character Slots

Archived Post
10-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Lifetime subs got 3 trial keys to give out. Now the OP will have two people wanting to beat him up for playing this.

Ah thats not to bad, thanks for info :D

Archived Post
10-10-2009, 07:10 PM
I am of the mind that those of us able to give out trials should definitely be rewarded if the people we give them to start paying to play.

-Character Slots
-Perk Points
-Action Figures
-Character Slots
-Character Slots
-Character Slots

Gatling Pistols arent too rare, i got a couple spare actually

Archived Post
10-10-2009, 07:20 PM

-Character Slots
-Perk Points
-Action Figures
-Character Slots
-Character Slots
-Character Slots
Isn't the reward the fact that you get to play with 1-3 friends rather then strangers?

Archived Post
10-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Isn't the reward the fact that you get to play with 1-3 friends rather then strangers?

Not to mention if you are a lifer you already got 16 character slots :rolleyes:

Archived Post
10-10-2009, 08:38 PM
I only poop at work, so that I am technically getting paid to poop. I refuse to do it under any other circumstances. What, I should give something away fro free when I could be getting paid for it?
God, I can't wait until Monday!

You do understand that, as a lifer, it is in your interest to get people to play the game so that it is healthy and lasts longer, don't you?

Archived Post
10-10-2009, 10:20 PM
I only poop at work, so that I am technically getting paid to poop. I refuse to do it under any other circumstances. What, I should give something away fro free when I could be getting paid for it?
God, I can't wait until Monday!

You do understand that, as a lifer, it is in your interest to get people to play the game so that it is healthy and lasts longer, don't you?
Grats on the pooping thing. Its not my fetish, but whatever works for ya, right?

I didnt say I was quitting...or that I wasnt enjoying the game. Actually, I rather like the game. I had the buddy keys, and gave them to buddies hoping that they would convert. They did, now I want a cookie. Whats so wrong with asking for a cookie? Other games give out cookies. Ill take pie.

In all seriousness, I realize that they (the nice folks at Cryptic) owe me nothing. Its also likely that at some point in the future, there will be rewards for doing what I did. Ill still be here. I wont feel cheated or anything, because I now get to hang out in a new world with the same friends. But man...some cookies (or pie) would be nice.

Archived Post
10-11-2009, 08:43 AM

-Character Slots
-Perk Points
-Action Figures
-Character Slots
-Character Slots
-Character Slots

Gatling Pistols? I have like 5 of these on a couple of my toons. They are easy as hell to farm in burnside.

Archived Post
10-12-2009, 05:36 AM
Do you realize you've already been given further special treatment for your Lifetime Subscription status and are now asking to be rewarded for receiving your reward?

Meanwhile, the rest of us have to wait it out and wonder why Cryptic only gave these keys out to their Super OMG Exclusive Club of Awesomeness. I assume they're just testing the trial functionality with a smaller player base before rolling it out on a larger scale, but it's still disappointing. I have at least two friends who are waiting on the free trials before giving this game a shot.

Your reward is the extra convincing power to try turning your friends to this game so you can play with them. They might decide to tack on a referral bonus later in the life of the game, when these trials are available to everyone, but the chance to play with friends should be enough for now.

Archived Post
10-12-2009, 07:34 AM
You get the same thing we all got when we converted buddy keys: extra play time. A whole year of it! Think of all the money you're saving with all this free play time added to your account.

Archived Post
10-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Yeah, they could give buddy keys to us 6 month subscribers too. I have 2 friends that want to buy the game but I have to keep telling em to wait til theres a trial. They have older PCs and lack the money to upgrade atm. I don't want them wasting a purchase on a game that may not even work on thier systems.

If I had some buddy keys there may be at least 2 purchases in about a weeks time. Sadly I don't.

Archived Post
10-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Do you realize you've already been given further special treatment for your Lifetime Subscription status and are now asking to be rewarded for receiving your reward?

Meanwhile, the rest of us have to wait it out and wonder why Cryptic only gave these keys out to their Super OMG Exclusive Club of Awesomeness. I assume they're just testing the trial functionality with a smaller player base before rolling it out on a larger scale, but it's still disappointing. I have at least two friends who are waiting on the free trials before giving this game a shot.

Your reward is the extra convincing power to try turning your friends to this game so you can play with them. They might decide to tack on a referral bonus later in the life of the game, when these trials are available to everyone, but the chance to play with friends should be enough for now.

What a purely selfish thing to say. You are really no better than the person you quoted in this regard. Trials, for any MMO (you can actually review this yourself) rarely start wtihin a year after the MMOs launch and have enver started until after the first 6 months. And quite frankly, a lifer is someone special because they've put a huge investment, a risky gamble for some, and hope for a large return in the process.

Archived Post
10-12-2009, 08:37 AM

Given? Oh right, when I paid a year subscription to a game that wasn't released.

Look, I feel like many are reading way too much into my post. I am not displeased at Cryptic at this current point in time. I don't forsee myself getting despleased if, down the line, they offer some kind of perk for getting other people to play this game.

There was no indication in the email I received from Cryptic, that should I be able to convice friends to buy and subscribe to their game, that I would receive anything. I made this post in the hopes that there is some kind of reward added to the game for doing so. If Cryptic does decide to add this, I understand that it will most likely not be retroactive. I AM OKAY WITH THIS. (<--capitalized and bolded for emphasis since it appears that some may be missing this point)

That said...a cookie would be nice.

Archived Post
10-12-2009, 09:29 AM
What a purely selfish thing to say. You are really no better than the person you quoted in this regard. Trials, for any MMO (you can actually review this yourself) rarely start wtihin a year after the MMOs launch and have enver started until after the first 6 months. And quite frankly, a lifer is someone special because they've put a huge investment, a risky gamble for some, and hope for a large return in the process.

1. I'm well aware that trials don't usually start until later. But please understand that seeing one dangled in front of me and yet out of reach can be a bit demoralizing, and it further rubs me the wrong way when people who actually have received these keys don't fully appreciate what they've received. Selfish or not, I think my reaction here is entirely reasonable, if not 100% altruistic.

2. The difference between me and a Lifetime Subscriber is that a Lifetimer had an extra $200+ available to blow in less than 30 days notice, whereas I did not. I have, however, demonstrated similar commitment to this game: first, when I saved the dough to purchase an Xbox 360 in anticipation of the simultaneous PC/Xbox release, and later this summer when the Xbox release got canned and I had to spend another $200+ between savings and birthday money to upgrade my PC to meet the playable requirements -- all without having even so much as beta-tested the game. So please don't think of me as if I haven't taken risks or don't care about this game as much as everybody else. I've accepted my fate as a non-lifer, but I only accept the "Lifetimers are more special" argument so far, especially as they've already been compensated for their devotion.

Given? Oh right, when I paid a year subscription to a game that wasn't released.

Yes, given. You paid a year's subscription price for a lifetime's subscription benefit, plus additional perks of exclusive costume pieces and STO beta access. Free trial keys weren't part of your transaction, and so even without them, I don't think you got a bad deal.

That said, I would certainly not object to a referral rewards program provided everybody had equal opportunity to participate and not just a select few. I'd like to hope everyone would agree on that point, at which point we can all share cookies. :D

Archived Post
10-12-2009, 09:45 AM
We are not compensated yet. In approximately 12 more months, I will agree with your statement. Let's be clear about that.

I don't think anyone is disputing they got a bad deal. That is reading too much into the original post. You can't deny there is a precedence for giving perks to those that sign up new subs. No one is asking for special treatment due to their lifetime status but from what is perceived as an MMO standard.

Edit: just re-read and yes I can see the point since the usual standard is the bonus for signing up someone is available to all.

Archived Post
10-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Those are fair statements. And while it's a common practice to be rewarded for referrals, that precedent is also usually in the context of at least several months after the game's release and as made available to everyone playing the game, not just choice players. But as long as we're agreed on the latter point, I've got no complaints.

Archived Post
10-12-2009, 10:19 AM
What a purely selfish thing to say. You are really no better than the person you quoted in this regard.
Selfish? Naw, Aidalyn is only asking for what was given to other customers. I dont feel I was being selfish, I originally made this post to point out there were no rewards set up. I then went on to profess my love for cookies. Oatmeal raisin would be my cookie of choice, but Im willing to settle for lesser cookies. Or pie.

No one is asking for special treatment due to their lifetime status but from what is perceived as an MMO standard.

Whew. I was starting to get worried that I had come across as too childish. I dont want any preferential treatment whatsoever. Im not asking for Lifers to be given special rewards for signing up friends. Im asking for there to be something put in place to reward everyone who does so.

And while it's a common practice to be rewarded for referrals, that precedent is also usually in the context of at least several months after the game's release and as made available to everyone playing the game, not just choice players. But as long as we're agreed on the latter point, I've got no complaints.
Yeah, I dont want anything special. I want buddy keys and rewards to be available for all.

I also retract my statement of not being given anything. I was given a set of buddy keys as it wasnt part of the original deal (and was exclusive). All of the other perks were clearly stated before I purchased the Lifetime pass, so those were not given rewards. My bad.

Archived Post
10-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Those are fair statements. And while it's a common practice to be rewarded for referrals, that precedent is also usually in the context of at least several months after the game's release and as made available to everyone playing the game, not just choice players. But as long as we're agreed on the latter point, I've got no complaints.

Did you get my PM?

Archived Post
10-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I dont want anything special. I want buddy keys and rewards to be available for all.

I also retract my statement of not being given anything. I was given a set of buddy keys as it wasnt part of the original deal (and was exclusive). All of the other perks were clearly stated before I purchased the Lifetime pass, so those were not given rewards. My bad.

Agreed, and please accept my apologies for my initial reaction and the tone behind it.

*magically summons a plate of cookies: oatmeal raisin and white chocolate chip macadamia nut.*

Digital cookies lack the flavor of real ones, but it's the best I can muster for the moment.

Archived Post
10-12-2009, 11:17 AM
If nothing else, this thread accomplished getting my final key out to someone who might actually utilize it.

The last key thread claimed the other 2 ;)