PDA

View Full Version : Ariosto's "Suggestions I thought Up While At Work" Thread

Archived Post
10-05-2009, 08:40 PM
RIght-o, first the usual disclaimers and qualifications: I enjoy CO, I don't see myself cancelling anytime soon, I've played MMOs for years, I know all about how programming works (in BASIC on a Commodore 16, anyway) and I have a well-paying job in a big company, which means my opinion matters more than almost anyone's!

OK, not really on the last bit. But I thought I might put together a "wish list" of things I'd like to see changed in the game. Most are tweaks rather than wholesale changes, and most are QoL issues rather than things that change the playability to any major degree. Feel free to comment/ignore/flame as you see fit.

1) The mail system:

* Include a dropdown contact list in the "To:" field populated by first the player's own username, then friends, then guildmates (preferrably alphabetically organised and seperated by the type of contact.)
* Also change it so that pressing "Send" returns you to a blank version of the Compose tab, rather than returning you to your inbox, and that X-ing out of the mailbox should shut down the UNITY dialogue altogether, instead of popping the basic dialogue box back up.
* The Subject line should also contain the name of the character the mail was sent to.

2) PVP:

* Remove the max level limit for all maps (keep automatic sidekicking to the appropriate level though.) If extended power choice or equipment is a balance issue, maybe organise different level bands for each map to preserve fairness. (I want my Ceiling Cat title, damn it!)
* In maps with teaming mechanics, have characters auto-join teams. Make the first person into the map the leader.
* Add a "Join Any" queue option for matches.

3) Frameworks:

* More "utility" or "flavour" powers similar to Telekinesis (which needs a buff in the weightlifting department, by the way, and maybe Rank 2 or 3 could be an AoE lift.) I'm thinking powers that don't have an obvious "WTFPWN" gameplay effect, but simply enhance the experience, even just at an RP level as cool-looking fluff powers. Ideally, I'd like to see innate passives that do what the +100% perception items do (reveal steath and show enemies on the minimap), click powers that increase the lighting in an area (possibly also decreasing damage resistance of undead, but that's not my main thrust here), highly visible signal flare powers which show up on other people's minimaps (easier than telling someone "The lost cave is over here, dude!"), "group fly" abilities (though please make them team based buffs and not CoX's horrible bubble o' doom), clairvoyance/astral projection powers, dimension door abilities (clickable transport to other zones for individuals or the team), mind reading abilities that prompt "patrol missions" with slightly altered flavour text when used on an enemy (reading an ARGENT soldier's mind and finding out about the Cyborg in the sewers), and so on.

4) Nemesis

* Nemesis minion spawns, particularly for the open world missions spawned from dropped clues, need to not spawn until the player is very close by. I've killed lowbies who were trying to talk to mission givers by accidentally spawning my purple-con minions all around them (e.g. the radio tower on top of the Gadroon hill.) The despawn-on-zone thing is good, but I still worry noobs are going to have "splat!" moments at the worst possible times.

5) Healing

* Currently, with such vast differences in hit point amounts between different characters (and even for the same characters with different roles) healing is either vastly overpowered or severely underpowered, and actively punishes people who try to stack CON in a defensive role. At least a portion of healing should be a percentage of the target's hit point maximum. This is where Field Drones (for example) could really shine. At the moment their healing is actually too low to make a difference for anyone over 3K hps (which is most toons.) Rather than a flat percentage, something like ((base healing amount)+((hit point max/200)x(PRE/5)) for a moderate-to-large heal. That'd also make PRE more useful in general.

Looking back, this is mostly pretty weaksauce, considering all the stuff I was going to include. I might use this thread as a bit of a placeholder and add to it when I'm home and on to glass of wine No. 2.

Cheers!

Archived Post
10-21-2009, 05:12 PM
2) PVP:

* Remove the max level limit for all maps (keep automatic sidekicking to the appropriate level though.) If extended power choice or equipment is a balance issue, maybe organise different level bands for each map to preserve fairness. (I want my Ceiling Cat title, damn it!)

/seconded
My main was a badge-nut in CoH, and he's a perk-nut in CO, but he outleveled Ceiling Cat's map before I was aware of that perk's requirements. My alt is a prowrestler-scientist-turned-crimefighter (who also outleveled that map) and she needs Ceiling Cat in order to unlock the glittery Luchador mask costume item.

--Chris

Archived Post
10-21-2009, 09:14 PM
5) Healing

* Currently, with such vast differences in hit point amounts between different characters (and even for the same characters with different roles) healing is either vastly overpowered or severely underpowered, and actively punishes people who try to stack CON in a defensive role. At least a portion of healing should be a percentage of the target's hit point maximum. This is where Field Drones (for example) could really shine. At the moment their healing is actually too low to make a difference for anyone over 3K hps (which is most toons.) Rather than a flat percentage, something like ((base healing amount)+((hit point max/200)x(PRE/5)) for a moderate-to-large heal. That'd also make PRE more useful in general.

I like all of your suggestions (although I think some of the innate passives suggested are on the strong side), but find this one particularly good.