PDA

View Full Version : Crime computer does NOT show you all available quests, even in level range

Archived Post
09-24-2009, 01:51 PM
To further my frustration with the Crime Computer - it doesnt show you all the quests available anyway! I get the thing showing me silly "crime" quests like "Heres 810 XP to go see this guy out at Snake Gulch!" but once out there, there are nearby NPCs with !'s over their heads not in the crime computer.

I just hit lv 18, and checked the computer, new stuff! It said Lt. McKenzie in Canada has quests. I go look, they are lv 21... so it seems the range for the crime computer is +/- 3 levels. Yet, not 50 feet from McKenzie with 2 lv 21 quests for me, is Eddy Nelson, also with two Lv 21 quests... not in the crime computer.

Back to the desert to finish up snake gulch, I find another guy via the ! on the map, not in the crime computer, offering me a lv 20 quest, something I could have picked up a level ago...

So, to sum up crime computer/quest issues:

Not all quests are in the crime computer, seemingly at random, even if you're in the +/-3 level range. Dont argue that its not a crime... because the crime computer has directed me to "Go meet that Guy out in Snake Gulch and I'll give you 810xp" quests. Not a crime.

If you are more than 3 levels over a quest, the ! disapears from the map, its not in the crime computer at ALL, and even worse the ! or ? icon over the NPC's head disappears... even tho you CAN talk to him and get the quest.

I'm beginning to think there IS NO content gap. Its just real easy to miss quests, and nigh impossible to go back and find them once you're 4 levels over...

Archived Post
09-24-2009, 01:54 PM
So the crime computer got you into the area where the quests were, but didn't tell you the name of the person that had the quests?

I see how that is most definitely a complete fail on the crime computers job. It's amazing how idiot-proof games have to be in order to appease the WoW junkies. Such a shame.

Archived Post
09-24-2009, 02:00 PM
So the crime computer got you into the area where the quests were, but didn't tell you the name of the person that had the quests?

I see how that is most definitely a complete fail on the crime computers job. It's amazing how idiot-proof games have to be in order to appease the WoW junkies. Such a shame.

That's not what he was saying. Don't troll, please, especially if you don't understand words.

Archived Post
09-24-2009, 02:01 PM

Never played WoW a day in my life. But in a game with some serious content gaps - In other words to be explained for the morons out there - There are NO QUESTS LEFT TO RUN to get you any xp - it'd be nice if the game helped you find the missed content.

And yes, the computer got me into the area.

Whos to say theres not 3 NPCs out there, with quests, being offered, and NONE of them show in the crime computer? You're assuming that because in THIS instance it got me to the area, that in ALL instances thats true. Thats a risky assumption.

Secondly, say theres an area with level 14-18 quests in it. I dont check my crime computer til I hit level 21 and find a content gap. it tells me "Go here! Theres quests!"

I go, and the guy offers me some quests. Because he has a lv 18 for me, and its in the crime computer range.

But, the other 3 NPCs near him that have 10 level 14-17 quests on them, WONT SHOW UP AT ALL, or give ANY indication they have quests for you. No map dot, no 'come talk to me' icon over its head. Nothing.

But, you're right, I'm just a crybaby WoW junkie wanting the game to spoon feed me. I'm so stupid. I should L2P. You're right. I truly mean that. You've shown me the error of my ways. I thank you, truly.

Archived Post
09-24-2009, 02:04 PM
I have had zero problems finding quests. The crime computer is great for telling you when a new quest hub is ready for your level range. Seriously, if they make it any easier they'd have to give you the quests directly.

The already tell you exactly where to go and what to do. There's gotta be some reward for exploration.

Archived Post
09-24-2009, 02:10 PM
I have had zero problems finding quests. The crime computer is great for telling you when a new quest hub is ready for your level range. Seriously, if they make it any easier they'd have to give you the quests directly.

The already tell you exactly where to go and what to do. There's gotta be some reward for exploration.

You are supposed to explore, thats why there are the exploration perks, and by exploring you run into people that give quests that aren't on the lists, take the time to ungrey the map, don't follow the same path all the time.

Archived Post
09-24-2009, 02:10 PM
The Crime Computer will not lead you to every single quest in the game but to show additional quest lines that you could possibly miss if you only follow the normal quest leveling progression.

I am 20....I went to Desert Crisis, to Desert, To Canada, to Millenium City, back to Desert. This was achieved by following the conventional quest progression (no crime computer).

On top of that I used the Crime computer each level to see what "additional" quests I could also find in my range. Yes due to the +/- 3 levels there were times that the Crime Computer would lead me to higher level quests. In those circumstances I chose "not" to take those quests and wait till I was level appropriate.

So in a word, the Crime Computer is working as intended. Just don't let 10 levels pass you by before you check it than complain it doesn't work.

Archived Post
09-24-2009, 02:15 PM

I can't wait till this scrub actually gets past level 12 and realizes what a dumb ass he truly is.

Archived Post
09-24-2009, 02:17 PM
There are NO QUESTS LEFT TO RUN to get you any xp - it'd be nice if the game helped you find the missed content.

The only content gap in the game is in the low 30's. No where else. Any other time you are out of missions it's because you missed some of the contacts somewhere.

The question becomes should the game hold your hand and lead you to every scrap of content or not?

I'd like to see enough missions in the game, that show up in the crime computer, that you'd never have to look for extra ones if you didn't want to. But those should be just barely enough to get you to the next level no more.

CO actually rewards people for exploring and patrolling the city, like a super hero would, by giving them extra content.

So while there should be enough from the crime computer to get by, there is room for the types of hidden missions and contacts that exist in CO. People should not expect 100% of the content handed to them.

Archived Post
09-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I'm not pleased with the Crime Computer as it stands.

I don't mind the idea of not showing every quest in it, except that there's not enough quests to go around. Add more quest lines in the game (not just bloodmoon and MI. Enough that I can actually afford to skip a quest line and hit level 40), we can start having the Crime Computer not show every quest. Not before then, though.

Archived Post
09-24-2009, 02:18 PM
lol, edits edits

Archived Post
09-24-2009, 02:27 PM
The only content gap in the game is in the low 30's. No where else. Any other time you are out of missions it's because you missed some of the contacts somewhere.

The question becomes should the game hold your hand and lead you to every scrap of content or not?

I'd like to see enough missions in the game, that show up in the crime computer, that you'd never have to look for extra ones if you didn't want to. But those should be just barely enough to get you to the next level no more.

CO actually rewards people for exploring and patrolling the city, like a super hero would, by giving them extra content.

So while there should be enough from the crime computer to get by, there is room for the types of hidden missions and contacts that exist in CO. People should not expect 100% of the content handed to them.

Ok. and say i miss some of these quests/hubs. And i get a few lvls over them so the ! goes away. What good does exploring do? do we also have to run up to each and every npc in the world and see if they will have missions?:)

How about keeping the ! over any quest giver? Having the ! stay and having the crime computer keep a full list of quests should be the minimum . Really don't think that is asking too much.

Archived Post
09-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Really don't think that is asking too much.

I'd be all for keeping the ! over quest givers heads even if they don't have any quests in your range to give you.

Archived Post
09-24-2009, 02:31 PM
I think I see what's happened here.

Back during alpha and closed beta a lot of the player base was asking for the opportunity to be more typically super-heroic, ie more 'proactive' in their discovery of on-going crimes, missions and quests.

It was frequently suggested by folks here that there should be a mechanic to allow players stumble across missions and mission-givers through exploration and such. A lot of people were saying that Batman doesn't go visit a mission dispensing NPC, he goes out looking for trouble etc.

There was a point during Closed-Beta where just passing-thru a particular area of the map would 'auto-deposit' missions into your mission list if you were within a hundred yards or so of its location.

Players complained because they would quickly find their mish-list inundated with a whole bunch of confusing, disjointed stuff, just by sticking their nose out of Force station Steelhead on the crafting run or whatever.

Auto-mish pickup got revised out pretty quick - but no doubt the devs still wanted to comply with players wishes that not all tasks in the game should be spoon-fed by NPC mish dispensers, in order to allow the player to be more proactive, because Super-heroes go out and find Wrongs that need to be Righted! etc.

I kinda suspect that what we are seeing is the result of the Devs trying to give the community what it asked for.

The principal is fine - but really, it still needs a bit of refinement.
Especially as new players to the game may be unaware of this ethos if its not stated explicitly that there is considerable content to be gained from exploring.
It just might not be what they are expecting.

Truth is, there are a good handful of NPCs with missions, and particularly mission arcs to hand out in the 16-19 and 17-22 range in MC and Desert ...but if for any reason you miss or skip the specific 'unlock' mission for that NPC or don't spot the mission starting 'Inventory item' in your bag that NPC won't give you the time of day and you may completely miss out on a whole arc.

NOt the best design. it will need cleaning up some.

Archived Post
09-24-2009, 02:35 PM
I can't wait till this scrub actually gets past level 12 and realizes what a dumb ass he truly is.

Search for my character. Lvl 29, wayyy past lvl 12 and the nub missions.

The point of my not blowing smoke up anyone's arse post was that you shouldn't expect to just have everything handed to you.

The only content gap in the game, as someone mentioned earlier, is in the early 30's. I don't know about you, but I would rather have a portion of my leveling missions in a nice hub area and have others scattered about. This encourages actually exploring the world the devs created. Actually flying down at ground level and interacting with the environment.

Seriously. If they made it any easier it would just be stupidly boring. You'd fly to hub A, grab missions 5-15, burn them and then be directed to hub B to repeat the process. Sorry, but that's just too reminiscent of the linear leveling from WoW or even WAR.