PDA

View Full Version : Public Quests rewards calculation for "support" characters

Archived Post
09-21-2009, 05:51 AM
As a person that likes to play "support" characters (as there are those that like tanking or dps-ing), yesterday I was a bit shocked when I was rewarded with a mere 10% of the points the biggest achiever got when me and some SG mates completed "Destroid Rise Again".
Can say that after a hard start, the mega-destroid fight went well when I stopped trying to damage him (I don't have much damage as a supporto oriented sorcery/telepathy/darkness, I'm level 21 and was sidekicked to 31) and put my toon in defensive healing my teammates and holding the destroid (holds didn't last much even with a full charge of Binding of Arathon, but the technique worked and we had no team wipes).

Seeing the result, I'm wondering if control powers as well as healings are taken in account when calculating rewards. I know that missions have also objectives and those objectives should have a bigger weight on the final reward, but as long as most public quests ends up with an epic battle (the mega destroid is a Cosmic level enemy) I think that way of rewarding the "support" role should be considered.

If only damage on enemies is counted, then when mezzing an enemy a part of that damage should be counted as if that was done by the mezzer. For healing, just count the heals done and rewards the healer with a portion based on their healings (even better, evaluating the healing/damage ratio counting the total amount of damage done by enemies to all PQ participants).

Anyway, we have no idea on how PQ calculate the points and distribute rewards, any hint on that would be useful.

Archived Post
09-21-2009, 06:21 AM
Objectives completed is what awards the most credit.

Healing people who do the objectives does not contribute. Think of it like this, if you go up to someone who's fighting a mob and they're dying, and you're both the same level....

You can heal him and he kills it, you get nothing.

You can help him kill it before it kills him. You get XP and potentially an item if you manage to do enough to get the primary credit.

There are a few PQ's that have non-kill objectives and you'll get credit towards the final tally for doing these, but your score was so low because you stopped damaging the destroid and just healed/supported.

Archived Post
09-21-2009, 07:02 AM
It just works from the damagde you have dealt, but the big questions is, how come does it work like that? Why don't support characters get more from keeping their team alive in PQ? I think it is kind of ****ed tbh

Archived Post
09-21-2009, 07:08 AM
PQ's should really account for support and tanking roles better than they do. After tanking Viper-X successfully 2-3 times yesterday, I never got much credit despite doing high threat attacks and mitigating his damage. I never even died once, but didn't do as much damage as the pure DPS players did.

Archived Post
09-21-2009, 07:23 AM
I play supporting characters because that's what I like to play but I must admit the way the pq contribution and the sheer amount of aggro you can generate by throwing someone a heal makes me wonder why I even continue to do so. The lack of contribution is down right insulting. I hope the dev's fix both the contribution and the healing aggro problem soon.

Till then I'll continue to heal dodge block and scream for my guildies to get everyone and their mother off of me. :p

Archived Post
09-21-2009, 11:48 AM
I play supporting characters because that's what I like to play but I must admit the way the pq contribution and the sheer amount of aggro you can generate by throwing someone a heal makes me wonder why I even continue to do so. The lack of contribution is down right insulting. I hope the dev's fix both the contribution and the healing aggro problem soon.

Till then I'll continue to heal dodge block and scream for my guildies to get everyone and their mother off of me. :p

Do you use defensive role and have a high presence (or ego, don't remember)? That changes thing radically, really.
I wasn't used to it as City of Heroes healing didn't generate threat, and when I played other games (age of conan and lotro just to name a couple) I needed to get used to that. CO's roles just fill the gap and help reducing the hate you generate.
And you don't believe how much control powers and energy generation are effective in defensive role...

Archived Post
09-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Protector Stance + Presence = High Agro Draw
Any other stance + Presence = Low Agro Draw.

In review Presence both adds agro and lowers agro based on your build stance.

For all those drawing agro with heals.... melt this into your brain... that is all:D

It is true sadly that support and tank rolls get no love in the rewards for the PQ... but its ok guys dont worry the gear is pretty much all crap anyway. Unless you REALLY REALLY want that 16 slot bag:eek:

Archived Post
09-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Do you use defensive role and have a high presence (or ego, don't remember)? That changes thing radically, really.
I wasn't used to it as City of Heroes healing didn't generate threat, and when I played other games (age of conan and lotro just to name a couple) I needed to get used to that. CO's roles just fill the gap and help reducing the hate you generate.
And you don't believe how much control powers and energy generation are effective in defensive role...

I play in support stance and have for quite some time. I have super stated presence to reduce the hate generation and boost my healing. (both of my mains have healing and run support and both are now sitting at level 25) Briar Rose is my sorcery/supernatural healer...her specialty is cc and healing along with a pair of supernatural wolves combined with the ebon circle to help reduce aggro. Mystica is my other main Emp with a splash of sorcery I must admit learning when to heal is just as important its a very delicate matter of timing one I am still leaning.