PDA

View Full Version : Why are servers down at prime gaming hours??

Archived Post
09-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Believe me, I am totally understanding of the fact that fixes need to be done to improve the game, but why are they always done between 1 and 3am???? All of the gamers I know do their gaming at night...especially between 1 and 3am! Can't the servers be down from like 5 to 7? Maybe that wouldn't be the best for everyone, but it certainly seems like it would make more sense overall.

Archived Post
09-10-2009, 11:18 PM
I agree. .

Archived Post
09-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Because not all the players live on the West coast of America.

Archived Post
09-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Believe me, I am totally understanding of the fact that fixes need to be done to improve the game, but why are they always done between 1 and 3am???? All of the gamers I know do their gaming at night...especially between 1 and 3am! Can't the servers be down from like 5 to 7? Maybe that wouldn't be the best for everyone, but it certainly seems like it would make more sense overall.

Well that would be screw over Europe, Russia, Balkan etc... Because then the patching would happen around 4-7 PM.

Archived Post
09-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Patching is fine at the time it is at now. Go to sleep or get some work done.

Archived Post
09-10-2009, 11:23 PM
you make it sound like two hours out of game is the end of the world.......

"...might be telling you something..."

'

Archived Post
09-10-2009, 11:59 PM

1. Some timezone is always going to be screwed. Sorry.

2. Does no-one else here have to be up in the mornings?

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:03 AM
1. Some timezone is always going to be screwed. Sorry.

2. Does no-one else here have to be up in the mornings?

I only sleep 5 or 6 hours a night. The server going down message is pretty much my reminder telling me to go to bed to hit that 6 hour mark perfectly :P

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:05 AM

Really?.. You ppl dont like err sleep ?!? ... I think its the best time for 90% ppl (minus AUS id guess) as MOST ppl in the west coast would be asleep at that time and most of europe are at work till around the time the updates have been done

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Judging by the shard populations, I would certainly not call 1 AM - 3 AM "prime gaming hours".

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:12 AM
I know I don't have exactly what one would consider a "normal" routine, but I get home from work about 12-1am EST, leaving me only able to play for a couple hours. I really wish it was like most other mmos in regards to downtime. There isn't exactly a whole lot to do in the middle of the morning hours around here, but I'll live I guess.

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:14 AM
As titled. 1am pst is fine. It' the every night that makes it annoying. I'm happy they are fixing things..but can't it wait 2-3 days between em? The game doesn't feel broken or unplayable or I'd understand. As for the go to sleep etc.. not all people work 9-5. 1am happens to be early for me as I am self employed and start work around noon(ish). 8)

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:19 AM
There is no perfect time to patch, since every time is prime time somewhere on the planet. I agree with the poster above me that the time isn't a problem (just do whatever you did before CO came out.. :p), the frequency is. Two hours of downtime every single day is waaaay too much, particularly for these poor souls for whom 1-3pm PST _is_ prime time.

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:20 AM
*Picks some Super-popcorns*
*Waves to another QQ Mainteinance thread*

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:21 AM
*starts to wonder if all these posters call each other up and choose a nightly topic to complain about*

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Judging by the shard populations, I would certainly not call 1 AM - 3 AM "prime gaming hours".

What are you talking about!? 14 people in Lemuria? It's ****ing packed!

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Make it later and you screw alot of others, right now its my afternoon time and later would kill my evening playing. May make sense to make a couple servers if they patch at different times one maybe for a mix between Aussie and UK players and one for NA players.... other then that the time its down now is fine long as its one server.

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Well today it seemed to go down sooner than expected. ALso I was not impressed when after this last patch, I'm prompted that my video drivers need updating, when the night before and since I've installed the game, it worked fine. Then after updating the drivers the game won't log properly, and since I too work late, I don't have a lot of time for play, tonight after fixing this lil glitch I barely got an hour of game time to then get booted off because it's Maint time! Wasn't inpressed that the retcon patch didn't work, but just found the work around that I can't now use until tomorrow. I understand the firt launch of new game can be buggy at start, but wan't there a Beta test prior? Just my rant for the night

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Live in Australia. I can deal with maintainance from 6-8pm if its 1-3 times a week max but... ABSOLUTELY EVERY NIGHT? wish I could get a refund for my 6 month sub.

It should have come with a warning "All Aus/NZ/MY players be aware that you're not going to be able to play the game unless you turn into an insomniac.... or sleep at work to make up for it"

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Patching is fine at the time it is at now. Go to sleep or get some work done.

Since we are all seeing this from a ME ME ME perspective I will add to the dissent.

Im in Australia and the server goes down just as I get home from work at around1700 its down until 2030 or so. As someone who works full time that is basically my play window.... so right now Im paying for a game I cant play.

Now feel free to tell me its ok because it works for the rest of you..

Cheers

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Guess it depends on where you live in Australia. Downtime for me is between 5.30pm - 7.30pm which is perfect, because that is right when I am preparing dinner, bathing kids etc

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Since we are all seeing this from a ME ME ME perspective I will add to the dissent.

Im in Australia and the server goes down just as I get home from work at around1700 its down until 2030 or so. As someone who works full time that is basically my play window.... so right now Im paying for a game I cant play.

Cheers

Actually, given that we're awake and on the forum right now during the patch, it's quite likely that a lot of us can't play, but would like to. I'm not sure what makes you think you're in a different situation to us. I accept it as part of the whole MMO deal, but then I like patches.

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:29 AM
New MMO's always have daily maintenance. Because of their shard design Cryptic has managed to do maintenance without bringing down the servers on some nights which is impressive. If you need to play that bad, the Test server and the Scion character generator are still available, go play with those, test powers and make new costumes.

Sorry for Australia though.

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:30 AM
i'm regularly coming online at 8/9am UK to find I cant play for several hours and then have to work... Please can you try to stop patching so regularly :)

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Doesn't matter where people live, what time-zone they're in. I just think that daily downtime for a game you pay a monthly fee for is a bit overkill.

A few nights ago they mentioned downtime was to deal with player tickets... What the hell?? don't they have staff to do that when the server is up?

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:35 AM
Guess it depends on where you live in Australia. Downtime for me is between 5.30pm - 7.30pm which is perfect, because that is right when I am preparing dinner, bathing kids etc

Bah you need to check your priorities... gaming first then family ya noob :D

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Everyone needs to pick one thing to complain about and stick with it.

First everyone complains about the problems in the game and start demanding that things get fixed.

Now people are complaining because in order to apply the fixes everyone else is complaining about they have to take down the servers.

It is my "prime" time to play right now but I would rather they get all of this stuff worked out now and out of the way as quickly as possible so a little down the line I can play all day/night long if I want and not have all the bugs and such.

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Everyone needs to pick one thing to complain about and stick with it..

LOL Excellent!

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:41 AM
I understand the need for maintanence however maybe they should rotate the hours they take the servers down. This way not all the same select group of people lose gaming hours all the time. Or another option is do like other MMO's and use 1 particular day of the week from set times this way you know ok such and such day the server will be down...that way it isnt a surprise ...well at this point it doesnt surprise me anymore I am more surprised when they dont take the servers down.

We get 1 free month of the game maybe for all the downtime (you think 2 hours per night times 30 days is an equvalent to 2.5 days but still even if they dont do it EVERY night maybe give cryptic points or some extra added playtime for the nconvenience? Especially since while signing up for the game you put in your billing address etc if you plan to use a card so they know who mostly it affects.

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Prime Time is very subjective. I'd rather the servers went down at 0100GMT, but that would be 1800 your time.

Just count yourself lucky that you're probably the least hard hit with the times of server outages.... I'd like to be playing right now. However, the servers are down so I'll just go and do something else instead (like haunt the forums).

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:47 AM
I live in Hawaii and 1-3am PST *IS* my prime time (my 10-midnight). I haven't been able to play in the 2-3 hours I have nightly for the past 4/5 nights... This has been horrible so far... :(

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:49 AM
How dare they update the game while im at work during the day when im not play....hold on im doing this wrong arnt i

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:50 AM
I live in Hawaii and 1-3am PST *IS* my prime time (my 10-midnight). I haven't been able to play in the 2-3 hours I have nightly for the past 4/5 nights... This has been horrible so far... :(

My point exactly. You shouldn't groan about the servers going down at 0100PST as it's more inconvenient for everyone else outside the PST time zone.

Archived Post
09-11-2009, 12:54 AM
1-3am during the week is perfect unless you're a 2nd shifter or don't have a job. If it was during those times on a weekend than I would agree. For us on the east coast its 3-6am...

I think either coast thats a good time...like I said, unless you're a 2nd shifter and get out of work at midnight...than my sympathies...

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:04 AM
you make it sound like two hours out of game is the end of the world.......

"...might be telling you something..."

'

I only posted this because we don't get off of work until like 11, and don't log on immediately after getting home, and then maybe have an hour to play before server maintenance. And I DON'T want to start playing at 4am. But your sarcasm is cute.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:05 AM
How dare they update the game while im at work during the day when im not play....hold on im doing this wrong arnt i

Ha well aren't you cute too.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:06 AM
My point exactly. You shouldn't groan about the servers going down at 0100PST as it's more inconvenient for everyone else outside the PST time zone.

I'm giving my personal example...either way the times suck for both of us, don't they? Don't get offended because i'm on your side haha

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:07 AM
going to comment on this one again

ask any mmo dev what time "primetime" is and not a single one would say 1-3 in the morning not any where in the world
im sorry that this impacts your play time, but its working fine for the majority

Edit - to rix4815, i do try

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:08 AM

Another west coast player claiming 1-3am is prime time gaming hours lol. In what alternate reality is 1-3am pst prime time? I live on the west coast and prime time is like 6pm to midnight.

Everytime I read one of these ridiculous threads about "primetime being at 1am I die a bit inside."

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:09 AM
As titled. 1am pst is fine. It' the every night that makes it annoying. I'm happy they are fixing things..but can't it wait 2-3 days between em? The game doesn't feel broken or unplayable or I'd understand. As for the go to sleep etc.. not all people work 9-5. 1am happens to be early for me as I am self employed and start work around noon(ish). 8)

I agree, to an extent. I understand they need to fix things or people are gonna be really ****ed off, but I think they should at least switch up the times a little maybe, so then for those of us who game at the same time every day, we won't have to deal with it every night.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:15 AM
1 am to 3 am is peak hours?

I don't think that word means what you think it means. Certainly the times I've played around that time it wasn't exactly bustling with activity.

Archived Post
1am PST is 9am BST, it's fine for the working UK players of which i'm part.

Archived Post
it should be more like 4-6 pst when the fewer people are playing, it still wouldn't even be evening for Europe, then maybe if they fixed more than one miserable thing each patch they wouldn't need to patch it every single freaking night.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines (http://forums.champions-online.com/announcement.php?f=2&a=6). Thank you, Dionaea

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:16 AM
For Western Australia its 4pm till 6-7pm. the eastern states gets 6pm till 8-9pm. for us thats around aussie prime time. . . . is it annoying that the servers come down at this time??? yes. Am i going to spam the forums with my pompous opinion that as it is affecting Australia the universe must be rearranged and realigned to my liking??? no. . . . . stop being a Goonball and think about every1 that is playing this game and not just you and the Block you live on.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:16 AM
You cant delay the servers ging down anymore otherwise it would be in the middle of european day, I would prefer these server shutdown earlier but oh well cant be perfect for everyone unless they decide to give us more localized servers with better downtimes

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:19 AM
if it was only 2 or 3 days a week i wouldn't mind but mon - fri thing is whats going to drive me away from the game.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:23 AM
It appears its mostly affecting PSTzone people and Australians/Kiwis...
Sucks for me, as I'm a student on the west coast who would prefer to avoid my homework right now...

What seems to be the problem is that the server is global... Is this game not popular enough to throw in another server?

"The server's down, you say? Well I'll just go play my alt for a couple hours..."

I assume that at some point there will be another... this is a pretty solid MMO.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:24 AM
if it was only 2 or 3 days a week i wouldn't mind but mon - fri thing is whats going to drive me away from the game.

All MMOs go through this. no amount of testing can find everything. .. . . it will settle down as time goes on. A routine will start and it will not be nearly as frequent.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Cryptic is based off the US west coast.

Their work crew who takes down the servers probably work a set shift which is already extremely late for PDT being at 1-3am.
It would obviously be more convienent for their personnel to come in and do it at like 12-2pm PDT. Doing so would affect so many more areas than 1-3am its not even comparable.
All these forum complaints on the chosen time to patch are completely ridiculous.
If 1-3am is your primetime hours because of where u live in the world, or when you work, or just because your a night owl then thats your problem and not mine or anyone else who plays the game. The simple fact is 1-3am is the most convienent time to do the patch for their player base. They can track the worldwide numbers all day everyday and know when the best time to take the servers down is.

The game doesnt revolve around you, remember that. If you dont like it buy a Wii and play super mario.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:31 AM
There is no perfect time to patch, since every time is prime time somewhere on the planet. I agree with the poster above me that the time isn't a problem (just do whatever you did before CO came out.. :p), the frequency is. Two hours of downtime every single day is waaaay too much, particularly for these poor souls for whom 1-3pm PST _is_ prime time.

I agree...not sure why it takes TWO HOURS every day to do minor updates. If this continues every day, the server down time needs to be reduced to one hour MAX! Another option is to update the game 1-3 times per week. I think EVE online still is every day but it is only one hour and other seasoned mmos are sometimes only once per week.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:33 AM

Their work crew who takes down the servers probably work a set shift which is already extremely late for PDT being at 1-3am.
It would obviously be more convienent for their personnel to come in and do it at like 12-2pm PDT. Doing so would affect so many more areas than 1-3am its not even comparable.
All these forum complaints on the chosen time to patch are completely ridiculous.
If 1-3am is your primetime hours because of where u live in the world, or when you work, or just because your a night owl then thats your problem and not mine or anyone else who plays the game. The simple fact is 1-3am is the most convienent time to do the patch for their player base. They can track the worldwide numbers all day everyday and know when the best time to take the servers down is.

The game doesnt revolve around you, remember that. If you dont like it buy a Wii and play super mario.

Translation: It's not bothering me so I don't care

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Translation: It's not bothering me so I don't care

And yet here he is, not playing the game; same as you.

Grow up.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:37 AM

im actually going to take your advice but im going to buy a 360 not a wii heading out now to the store... just wish i could get my money back for this game :(

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:37 AM

Grow up.

Lol serious. I had just hit 38 and picked up Sniper Rifle and didnt even get to go One shot everything 5 minutes b4 the servers came down. Sure I wanted to play for another hour or so but its not a big deal and I could care less. Besides with the game going down for maintenance I knew there would be another one of these laughable 1-3am is primetime wtf threads and would keep me entertained until I went to bed.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:38 AM

Grow up.

So it IS bothering you but you suffer dutifully for Cryptic, or...?

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:40 AM
im actually going to take your advice but im going to buy a 360 not a wii heading out now to the store... just wish i could get my money back for this game :(

Just play your 360 when the servers are down and play CO the other 22 hours its up? I just watch TV and post on the forums.

People act like they have nothing to do for 2 hours and just hafta stare at a blank computer screen until the servers come back up.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:40 AM

It doesn't bother me, I guess I'm mature enough to look past some downtime and be happy about getting a patched game.

Maybe someday you will be too.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:43 AM
The downtime at 1-3am PST is not the real problem here, it's the fact that it happens approx 5 times a week. 5 times! I know MMO's need their updates and I'm all for them. I also know that this is suppose to be temporary but I don't foresee it slowing down any time soon.

For me this is the absolute worst time ever for the updates. I do online classes at home during the day, surf if there are waves or hang out with the homies, go to work around 4-9:30pm. Nearly every night I get home from work and the server is down and it didn't use to bother me until recently. I feel like I'm not getting my money's worth and it's a shame because the game is great imo. If I would have known updates would be around my prime gaming time I would have thought twice about buying this game. Guaranteed I will unsubscribe if the updates continue over a 2-3month span. Just not worth it for me and I really do enjoy this game.

Ah well, chalk it up to one of the whole 5 things that suck living in Hawaii.

1. No waves
2. Ignorant tourists
3. Gas prices
4. Terrible shipping rates and usually takes a long time for orders to arrive
5. Can't play CO during reasonable hours approx 5 days a week

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:44 AM
See this as an opportunity to do something else. Play another game, learn things, watch a movie, find a better job, do your homeworks. Dunno.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:45 AM

Suffering? Wtf is there someone standing there burning you with a Bic lighter for the 2 hours the servers are down or something?

I wouldnt classify a game being down 2 hours as being anywhere close to suffering. At best its a minor annoyance easily overcome by anyone with the ability to get out of their computer chair to grab the TV remote.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:47 AM
It doesn't bother me, I guess I'm mature enough to look past some downtime and be happy about getting a patched game.

Maybe someday you will be too.

What you are is rude and condescending, actually. Everyone pays the same amount, and if during the time they go to play the servers come down four out of the last five days you went to play, you have a right to post on the board and say you don't like it and shouldn't have to deal with other players badgering you over it.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:51 AM
See this as an opportunity to do something else. Play another game, learn things, watch a movie, find a better job, do your homeworks. Dunno.

Wow your a wise one aren't you.

Find a better job? Who the hell do you think you are? Quit posting stupid comments like these and it will save you a punch in the mouth later.

Yes, I will play another game and that is my point.

I'm hoping the updates become less frequent is all. I don't care what time they decide on.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:51 AM
Everyone pays the same amount

Exactly, and we all have the exact same amount of time given to us.

Stop whining.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:57 AM
it always makes me laugh to see posts like "omg why servers down at prime time!" or "omg, i work weird hours so this is the only chance i get to play! and the servers are down!"

i mean... they have to do maintenance at some point. and they can't please everyone. it's always prime time somewhere.

its 10am here in the UK so not ideal timing for me either but hey, id rather they do maintenance than try and play on an unstable server.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 12:58 AM

Totaly agree with this! :)

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:05 AM
Im from New Zealand so the downtime is 8pm to 10pm. Except I have found that the server is back up well within the two hours. Rarely has it taken the full two hours.

What is particularly frustrating, is having these patches every night. The last few nights Ive only been able to play about a quarter as much as I would have liked. At the moment its just tolerable but if this continues for too long, people from this part of the world will really be suffering (as much as you can suffer from not being able to play a game anyway) and not really getting a fair deal.

However, Im pretty confident (maybe hopeful) that the patches will beoome less frequent in the near future.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:06 AM

I wouldn't either but the point here is enough is enough, surely some of this can be enabled via background downloading and a small restart at midnight for like 10 minutes to make sure everyone patched perhaps might be a little more friendly?

Most MMOs have like what 1 big 7 hour patch on tues wed morning-afternoon right? That should say something I would think.

Every single night since 3day head start? It's a wee bit overboard imho. Alot of lifetime subs have only a few more days left to decide whether to cancel, and lets just say for an example I play when i get home from work from around midnight till 3am ok?

So let's see here I got about 50mins to play each and every night for oh the last what 2 weeks? Now do you think it's enough time to be so addicted? Or do you think there's a chance I might say hmm this isn't working and I am not quite sure my $200.00 is beingg spent so wisely versus my access to the game and maybe I might wonder if this is a constant cryptic trend to keep patching this time of night?

Now lets say im not alone, at what point does 200.00 then 400.00 maybe 1000.00 from just 4 people quitting actually make them think, hmmm maybe we could find a bettter way?

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:08 AM

exactly. i play during these hours and i accept that there will be some loss of game time due to patching and what not. but everyday makes it pointless to continue with this game.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:09 AM
Most MMOs have like what 1 big 7 hour patch on tues wed morning-afternoon right? That should say something I would think.

Most MMO's have been out more than two weeks.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:11 AM
Your prime time is not everyone's prime time. The servers are usually down for less than the stated two hours. This kind of mentality of "ARGH! THE SERVERS ARE DOWN FOR SCHEDULED MAINTNANCE WHEN I WANT TO PLAY!" is selfish at best. It shows a complete lack of sensitivity to the rest of the world. "MY TIME ZONE AND/OR PLAY TIME IS BEST FOR EVERYBODY!"

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:12 AM

Cheers

as i am from the EU you are my natural patch enemy. I will get you some day :)

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:12 AM
As a business I would love having only customers who I don't even need to explain increased downtime or any other issue because they are ready and willing to rationalize and justify it to themselves and will even take to the boards to start fights with other players who are expressing discontent over an issue.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Most MMO's have been out more than two weeks.

Yes and Cryptic is NOT new to the MMO genre, a good percentage of the patching has been to nerfs, everyone keeps saying 'server stability'. I could agree if that was the major issues but as most of us saw last week it was way more than stability it was nerfs.

But still I am sure they could use background downloading and a small server restart to get everyone all set at a smaller interval.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm totally in the opposite situation that this first topic quote :

All the gamers i know play during day (evenings and week-end).... and sleep at night :rolleyes: (how surprising !)
I'm very surprised some can argue that it's a bad choice when a game patch during night.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:19 AM
I'm totally in the opposite situation that this first topic quote :

All the gamers i know play during day (evenings and week-end).... and sleep at night :rolleyes: (how surprising !)
I'm very surprised some can argue that it's a bad choice when a game patch during night.

Play games during the day and sleep at night....?

You are either rich, 12 and on school holidays or unemployed.

Which is it ?

And can I sawp lives with you please.:rolleyes:

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:21 AM
Exactly, and we all have the exact same amount of time given to us.

Spoken like a true American.

Really, anyone could easily make a comment like that if the servers were always going down any time around midnight to about 6am their time. Thanks for sharing mate, pearls of wisdom there. Appreciate you being willing to sacrifice your ability to play from 1am to 3am.

I live in Australia, and assuming I do nothing but play from when I get home from work until when I go to bed, that's 5 hours. Only, it's 3 hours because of this patch.

So don't tell me we all have the same time given to us. The next time they schedule downtime for smack bang in the middle of your evening, feel free to contribute to this discussion. In the meantime, leave it for the grown ups.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:21 AM
Your prime time is not everyone's prime time. The servers are usually down for less than the stated two hours. This kind of mentality of "ARGH! THE SERVERS ARE DOWN FOR SCHEDULED MAINTNANCE WHEN I WANT TO PLAY!" is selfish at best. It shows a complete lack of sensitivity to the rest of the world. "MY TIME ZONE AND/OR PLAY TIME IS BEST FOR EVERYBODY!"

I can sympathize with the AUS/NZ crowd with the current patch times being 6-8pm their time. 6-8pm is a legit primetime in any time zone around the world.

What blows my mind is the people who keep posting these same ridiculous threads about 1-3am being prime time and they are from the West Coast of the US. If someones delusional enough to believe 1am is prime time then I guess they are dillusional enough to think they can get cryptic to move the patch times via forum QQ,

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:23 AM

Spoken like a true ignorant, I'm not American.

Really, anyone could easily make a comment like that if the servers were always going down any time around midnight to about 6am their time. Thanks for sharing mate, pearls of wisdom there. Appreciate you being willing to sacrifice your ability to play from 1am to 3am.

I'm up right now and not playing due to the server being down, so I don't know what point you're trying to get across here.

I live in Australia, and assuming I do nothing but play from when I get home from work until when I go to bed, that's 5 hours. Only, it's 3 hours because of this patch.

Most days when I get home from work I am able to play for two hours, then patching starts, then I play for about fifteen minutes just to check if anything was changed and then I go to sleep for work.

So don't tell me we all have the same time given to us. The next time they schedule downtime for smack bang in the middle of your evening, feel free to contribute to this discussion. In the meantime, leave it for the grown ups.

Your argument is bad and you should feel bad.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:26 AM

If cyptic gave me the numbers and the majority of players were in austrailia or europe I would expect the downtime to accomodate them, but, I'm confident that's not the case.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:29 AM
Wahhhhhh!

Cryptic is full of big meanies keeping me from playing! They shouldn't patch the game, just let me play broken!

Wahhhhhh!

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:29 AM
Wahhhhhh!

Cryptic is full of big meanies keeping me from playing! They shouldn't patch the game, just let me play broken!

Wahhhhhh!

Toughen up princess

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:30 AM

Spoken like a true, nationalistic *****. This game is made in America by Americans. It runs on servers hosted by an American company within America. America America America. You get the drift? If you hate Americans so much, why not avoid American products that are made in America and sold out of America predominantly to Americans?

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:35 AM
Spoken like a true, nationalistic *****. This game is made in America by Americans. It runs on servers hosted by an American company within America. America America America. You get the drift? If you hate Americans so much, why not avoid American products that are made in America and sold out of America predominantly to Americans?

Dont incite the foreigners metal!!! Next thing you know the US will be invaded and taken over by Forum QQ'ers and we will be forced to play god awful German/Korean hybrid fanstasy/tech MMo's where we ride stupid looking baby chickens and wield 10 foot tall swords and have spiky goku hair.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:35 AM
Dont give them ideas metal! Next thing you know the US will be invaded and taken over by Forum QQ'ers and we will be forced to play god awful German/Korean hybrid fanstasy/tech MMo's where we ride stupid looking baby chickens and wield 10 foot tall swords and have spiky goku hair.

Or the Aussies will invade and we'll be throwing shrimp on the barbie 24/7

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:36 AM

Not to mention crackin a tinny

Archived Post

Statements and attitudes like this is possibly why they make EU servers? Most Americans I would imagine don't go around saying 'spoken like a true brit or an aussie' to the best of my knowledge, maybe that's how you all talk over there but over here that's just a wee bit rude.

Archived Post
Not to mention crackin a tinny

Makin' some sammies.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:37 AM

Hmm. I could live with that actually. I love me some BBQ shrimp mang.

Anyways im off to bed. I'll be back tommorow when the servers come back down and another one of these stupid threads comes back up.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:40 AM

It's funny. . . . They are called prawns. . . . . i dont know one person that calls them shrimp.

Strange that a quote so well known isn't even accurate.

And invading amerca sounds fun. Time to pull out those Nukes we have been hiding so long in the great sandy desert and TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Koalas for all!!!

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:44 AM
It's funny. . . . They are called prawns. . . . . i dont know one person that calls them shrimp.

And invading amerca sounds fun. Time to pull out those Nukes we have been hiding so long in the great sandy desert and TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Koalas for all!!!

Hey Americans, I think he just threatened you with nucular war!

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:45 AM
Hey Americans, I think he just threatened you with nucular war!

And Koalas. . . . . They really are scary.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:47 AM

Yeah... except that "prawn" typically means fresh water. I do believe there are some salt water varieties that live up in Iceland or something, but that's a long way from Australia. In the US, "prawns" are sometimes referred to as "cray fish".

And yeah, I know the quote isn't accurate. Neither is it accurate that all Texans always wear blue jeans, a white button down shirt, a 10 gallon hat, and a huge belt buckle. When people act like they do, it's essentially acting like just because of James Bond, all British people always wear a tuxedo. Really, it was one man, by the name of Paul Hogan who started the "shrimp on the barbie" thing.

Still, the moment someone uses "American" as an insult, they've essentially lost the argument. It doesn't contribute and only serves as a stupid ad-hominem attack that carries no weight.

And to anyone who's guessing that I'm "American" because of my earlier post against nationalism, name the flag in my avatar. I dare you. Yes, it's a real flag. But I bet you can't name where it's from.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:47 AM
best time i ever had was on the 4th of july in perth got wasted with a bunch of australians, german tourists and a couple dudes from greece we were bellowing the star spangled banner and advance australia fair and it was a nutload of fun

the only people giving anyone **** were the 5 canadians who booed and were acting like peckerwoods

in short australia is awesome except for that guy who posted way up there

and it's the flag of the cherokee nation so now you don't have to keep pointing it out

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:48 AM
Play games during the day and sleep at night....?

You are either rich, 12 and on school holidays or unemployed.

Which is it ?

And can I sawp lives with you please.:rolleyes:
I said "evenings and week-ends". It's sure that if you work at these times too your work must be really hard.

And to precise... All the friends i know that choose to sleep at night instead of play (like me) do so because they have a wotk to do during day.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:50 AM
Toughen up princess

I hope my sarcasm didn't seriously confuse you.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:51 AM
Also, time to quit whining. The servers are back up. Horray for whining. You got what you wanted, the servers are back. *sigh* some people, I swear.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 01:57 AM
Also, time to quit whining. The servers are back up. Horray for whining. You got what you wanted, the servers are back. *sigh* some people, I swear.

Whining about whiners is not conducive to mental health.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 02:06 AM
*starts to wonder if all these posters call each other up and choose a nightly topic to complain about*

In CoH it's the Aussies that complain about the maintenance schedule because in that game their preferred playtime has the fewest number of players online.

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 02:15 AM
Most normal people are in bed by 0100J (look it up non-miiltary or ATC types) as they have to get some sleep before work/college/school.

Then of course there's the fact that there are other people in the world besides those who reside in the US.

Someone is always going to get screwed by server maintainance times...just count yourself lucky that it's not slap bang in the middle of real prime time; 1900-2300J.

Oh, and btw, England is not just the centre of the world, but the centre of the Universe. Imagine if server maintainance times were using ZULU times, how would you like that eh? Eh? EH? Yeeeahhh!

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 02:47 AM
You think not being able to play for a couple hours sucks?

Tell that to the guys who are AT WORK instead of home in their beds at 2 in the freaking morning, to service a game inhabited by a legion of absolute crybabies.

They put the maintenance at a time they have the least concurrent users. It's not that complicated.

Also: They're still in post launch plugging-holes mode. Nother couple weeks and I would not be surprised if the amount of maintenance/patching time reduces significantly.

-np

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 05:11 AM
Yeah... except that "prawn" typically means fresh water. I do believe there are some salt water varieties that live up in Iceland or something, but that's a long way from Australia. In the US, "prawns" are sometimes referred to as "cray fish".

And yeah, I know the quote isn't accurate. Neither is it accurate that all Texans always wear blue jeans, a white button down shirt, a 10 gallon hat, and a huge belt buckle. When people act like they do, it's essentially acting like just because of James Bond, all British people always wear a tuxedo. Really, it was one man, by the name of Paul Hogan who started the "shrimp on the barbie" thing.

Still, the moment someone uses "American" as an insult, they've essentially lost the argument. It doesn't contribute and only serves as a stupid ad-hominem attack that carries no weight.

And to anyone who's guessing that I'm "American" because of my earlier post against nationalism, name the flag in my avatar. I dare you. Yes, it's a real flag. But I bet you can't name where it's from.

Paul Hogan used the word 'shrimp' because the ads were targeted at a US audience, and they're called shrimp in the US, and prawns everywhere else. But yes, technically, there is actually a biological difference between a prawn and a shrimp..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrimp#Distinction_from_prawns

Archived Post
09-15-2009, 05:37 AM
Believe me, I am totally understanding of the fact that fixes need to be done to improve the game, but why are they always done between 1 and 3am????
This game is GLOBAL. No matter WHEN they elected to have the servers come down, it would be inconvenient for SOMEONE, somewhere.

And for any local time zone, 1am to 3am is only prime gaming time for unemployed teenagers.

On the east coast, that's 3am to 5am. (Most people are asleep)

In the U.K., it's 8am to 10am. (Breakfast on a non-workign day)

In Moscow, it's 11am to 1pm. (Just about lunch-time)

In Sydney, Australia, it's 6pm to 8pm. (Dinner time.)

Those all fit surprisingly well; the 1am to 3am PST timeframe for maintenance may be the one LEAST likely to inconvenience MOST players in the game. So much so, it almost seems a miracle.

Can't the servers be down from like 5 to 7?
On the east coast, that's 8am to 10am. (Breakfast on a non-working day)

In the U.K., it's 1pm to 3pm. (WHOOPS, the afternoon post-Lunch!)

In Moscow, it's 4pm to 6pm. (WHOOPS, just as many college students and working adults are getting home for teh day!)

In Sydney, Australia, it's 11pm to 1am. (Probably bed-time for most.)

It just isn't going to happen. The current downtime window is almost PERFECT, world-wide, for the vast majority of players.