PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Question - Damage Taken Equation

Archived Post
09-08-2009, 03:00 AM
I've tried everything to reconcile my collected data with an all-encompassing equation. Along my travels, I've learned that Millenium City lasers are really top-quality, bypassing defenses like nothing; that dodging and blocking really sucks to take into account; that Defiance sucks for testing; and that finding the answer to this puzzle is not a simple task.

So far, I've eliminated the following:

D = (M - C) / (1 + R)
D = M / (1 + R) - C

Where D is damage taken, M is full damage amount, C is damage reduction and R is damage resistance.

I've also tried using multiplicative and additive resistance values. Additive works best, it seems. What's amusing is that contrary to the wording of Invulnerability, the damage reduction almost certainly takes place after the damage resistance. The absolute closest I have to reconciliation is the following:

D = M / (1 + 2R) - C

Why 2R? I have no clue. Like I said, it doesn't reconcile with all enemies. Perhaps the real equation is messed up and players are doubling up on resistance to some enemies. Or, perhaps there is a base amount of resistance that happens to be this high.

Therefore, I put the question to you: what is the equation for damage taken?

Archived Post
09-08-2009, 03:28 AM
the damage resistance multiplier is 1/(1+dr). so if you have 100% damage resistance you take 50% damage, and if you have 200% damage resistance you take 33% damage. and if you have 50% damage resistance you take 66% damage.

as you can see there's a rapid dropoff.

and yeah damage reduction seems to take place afterwards, which is why invuln+blocking results in such low damage #s.

any inconsitency you see is probably because of inconsistency in the UI, reporting actual damage reduction rather than behind the scenes damage reduction...or something. i dunno.

Archived Post
09-08-2009, 03:34 AM
the damage resistance multiplier is 1/(1+dr). so if you have 100% damage resistance you take 50% damage, and if you have 200% damage resistance you take 33% damage. and if you have 50% damage resistance you take 66% damage.

as you can see there's a rapid dropoff.

and yeah damage reduction seems to take place afterwards, which is why invuln+blocking results in such low damage #s.

any inconsitency you see is probably because of inconsistency in the UI, reporting actual damage reduction rather than behind the scenes damage reduction...or something. i dunno.
That's where I started.

1 / (1 + R)

...is the same as:

D = M / (1 + R)

I just can't seem to equate this with real-game performance. :confused: Thanks for the input, though!

*Actually, I think I realize exactly what's going on. I need more data, but I will update tomorrow.

Archived Post
09-08-2009, 04:14 AM
That's where I started.

1 / (1 + R)

...is the same as:

D = M / (1 + R)

I just can't seem to equate this with real-game performance. :confused: Thanks for the input, though!

*Actually, I think I realize exactly what's going on. I need more data, but I will update tomorrow.

The problem is you're trying to think of this as one big equation, rather than a series of steps. I suppose you could turn it into a big equation, but it is easier to do in steps.

Here is an example that includes PFF. My shield provides 250% defense when I block and my gear provided 26% defense.

From the combat log:
PFF absorbed 186
Final damage was 10 (868)

Here's how this is all calculated:
Apply Block
868 / ((250/100)+1)
868 / (2.5 + 1)
868 / 3.5 = 248

Apply Defense
248 / ((26/100)+1)
248 / (0.26 + 1)
248 / (1.26) = 196

Apply PFF
I have 196 damage incoming, but my PFF absorbed 186 leaving 10 damage taken.

I don't know when Dodge is calculated, it could be applied first, after Block, last, I don't know. I also don't know how Defiance or other forms with +DEF% are applied. Are they added to your gear defense in a single step or a separate step on their own and if so, when?