PDA

View Full Version : Another two lost subscriptions

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:09 PM
I know many hate reading all these negative posts, but please understand that some of us who are upset are not haters of the game, nor plants here to sabotage CO in favor of another game. Were only doing one of the few things we can do to let cryptic know what our opinion is and how it might effect them.

I would have been labeled a fanboi prior to launch. I really loved the game. The flexibility of frameworks, the fighting mechanics. It all added up to a very fun game. Being a huge fan of MMO's I looked at both this and **** and decided this was the place to be. Seeing that I have two 12 year old boys who love to play along, I pre-ordered two sets, bought 1 with a 6-month sub, and jumped into the HS to enjoy good long run in my newest fun MMO.

I created a straight PA build and got him to 19. The first patch came. I found I couldnt solo a group of weaponsmiths any longer in Snake Gulch. Ok, I'll let them work out the kinks and try a Dual Blades Build. Loved this new build. Drove him to 15 and then... The second patch came. I now could not solo King Pong. Died 3 times. I was given a street mission. Two Villians at the end, died three times. So I took a couple day break to see if they would work out those kinks. So tonight I thought... why not try to do the King Ponbg fight again with a healing patch I created. Died again. Well, thats it. I cant keep dying and enjoying myself.

So with that, I wish Cryptic the best and hope they continue to create the game they envision. If they are lucky, what they envision will resinate with many others and they'll have high subscriptions. But for now, I cant take it. So, I'll come check back in on it in a few months, if Im not hooked into another game at that point.

Again, I know these threads are aggrevating the hell out of some of you. Please dont look at it that way. Try and see it from a fan's point of view who just cant continue dying. I just want cryptic to fully get a feel for impacts they're decisions are making. For the good or bad.

And yes, I know I could have grouped. Im sure there is a number of ways I could have fought better or specced better to survive. But Im just an average gamer, trying to enjoy a little down time without frustration.

Have fun all. To those enjoying the game, Im glad you have found a home.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:12 PM
tldr; Cant solo certain missions, Im quitting.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:13 PM
tldr; you guys screwed me over 3 times in a row and I'm done with your crap.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:14 PM
tldr: I can't spec properly so I keep dying...FIX DA GAME!!!

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:15 PM

tldr; Cant solo certain missions, Im quitting.

Good to know this game isnt going to be filled with mindless jackasses in a month......oh wait....

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:16 PM

Great sign that the game sucks balls. I should be able to spec any damned way I want and still be able to level.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Try to also remember that with such a versatile framework system in place, they need to be especially careful with balancing. It's going to take time, especially on live servers where people will definitely figure out things that the devs and betas couldn't find. I've completely re-rolled a character as well, from unarmed to ice. I'm finding that Melee in general is very underpowered right now, but I'm sure they're working on it.

This game also appears to be extremely stat intensive. You need to be mindful of your choices as it'll probably have a great impact on your ability to solo.

Hopefully you get sucked back in at some point, this is a great product.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Man these i quit posts need to go away.

Great sign that the game sucks balls. I should be able to spec any damned way I want and still be able to level.

And yet you won't leave? didn't you troll enough yet?

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Good to know this game isnt going to be filled with mindless jackasses in a month......oh wait....

You obviously ahvent been subjected to the hundreds of "OMFG I CANT KILL ANYTHING!!!1!11!!one!11!" threads a day.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:18 PM

Yah if only people would stop posting in them. :rolleyes:

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:19 PM
You obviously ahvent been subjected to the hundreds of "OMFG I CANT KILL ANYTHING!!!1!11!!one!11!" threads a day.

I'm sure he hasn't. No one is subjected to anything here.

Besides if there are literally hundreds of them, something's obviously wrong on Cryptic's side of the fence.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:19 PM

Nice try but you posted before me.

I'm sure he hasn't. No one is subjected to anything here.

Besides if there are literally hundreds of them, something's obviously wrong on Cryptic's side of the fence.

Minority of crybabies is always vocal because they spend whole day on forums instead of playing. They can make 1000 posts if they like.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Nice try but you posted before me.

Yah but I'm not asking for this thread to go away.

Strike 2

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:21 PM
The worst part of these farewell posts is that none of these guys will actually put their money where their mouth is and really quit. I mean.....REALLY...quit.

I too with they would just go away. The game plays great for me.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:22 PM

Doesnt that tell you anything besides get your power gaming senses tingling? Why did so many people just suddenly go from loving to hating the game on release day? Some vast right wing conspiracy? Something changed and god help you if you believe in the "lol op people gut nurfed and are bawwing. If you believe that then theres going to be death panels everywhere and FEMA is going to heard us all into concentration camps and the world is going to end in 2012 by tom cruise looking nanobot gone mad. Seriously, you either be the better person and just let them say their piece and be gone or you can make your self look like a flaming ****. Good to know a good segment of the community prefers the latter.

Archived Post
Sorry but if you cant solo king pong then perhaps its your own skill level which sucks, you only need to survive a few spawns until the cops turn up and the mission completes... seriously even with my rather inefficient might/fire build i managed to solo that.

Archived Post
The worst part of these farewell posts is that none of these guys will actually put their money where their mouth is and really quit. I mean.....REALLY...quit.

I too with they would just go away. The game plays great for me.

God forbid something play bad for you or else the game is just crap then I guess.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Yah but I'm not asking for this thread to go away.

Strike 2

Nice try again but you didn't say anything about who is saying what. According to your last post people just shouldn't post anything for I QUIT topics to go away. Now stop patting your own back.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Nice try again but you didn't say anything about who is saying what. According to your last post people just shouldn't post anything for I QUIT topics to go away. Now stop patting your own back.

The sooner you stop posting the sooner it goes away!

Strike 3!

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Sad to hear, i know you've mentioned it, but if you want to beat the problem....group! If nobody is taking you up on the invitation then change Instance, that's what I do. I found King Pong too easy during beta, soloed it, tried doing it after launch and had my ass kicked, so I grouped. Job Done.

tl;dr : Get group, change instance if unable to get group.

Archived Post
Ok, I agree with your method of quitting, but not with the reason you provided (My opinion I know, but hear me out.)

If you really want to see this game work out, it will need the help of people like you who quit on a dime.

Before quitting, think about: How could this game be improved if I stayed and helped?

I just payed $50 and I'll be damned if I let it go to waste, I'll make sure this game comes out right if it's the last thing I do!

Archived Post
Sorry but if you cant solo king pong then perhaps its your own skill level which sucks, you only need to survive a few spawns until the cops turn up and the mission completes... seriously even with my rather inefficient might/fire build i managed to solo that.

Inefficient meaning beatdown with pyre, force shield and force sheath, I imagine.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:26 PM
The sooner you stop posting the sooner it goes away!

Strike 3!

Oreally? looks like you change things according to your own convenience. Anyways i am off to play CO, You are obviously here to play troll on forums. Have fun.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Oreally? looks like you change things according to your own convenience. Anyways i am off to play CO, You are obviously here to play troll on forums. Have fun.

So long farewell, auf weidersehen good-bye.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:28 PM
As long as criticism/quit posts are written with a modicum of maturity and respect, I've got no problem with them.

King Pong was brutal on my Single Blade. I think I made it to the second wave before I went down. I kept respawning to see how long it was and racked up another three or four deaths. D:

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:29 PM
King Pong is such a horrible mission to do metrics on - it really needs to be marked as a group mission. I did it during head start with regeneration (pre-nerf) and still died before I realized they were tough henchmen/villains and I needed to actually pay attention.

If you quit because of this mission - you are missing out on a lot.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:30 PM

Im guessing the posts of soloing stop when its viable for more than just certian power builds. Though then it will be something else. But I'd much rather read 20 posts an hour about some other form of QQ and be able to log in and still enjoy the game while I solo and group for instances. Soloing should be completely viable for anyone questing. Instances should NOT be solo'd by one person unless they far out level the instance.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:31 PM
tldr; i could really go for some ice cream right now.
What? It doesn't stand for "Too Late Drunken Reading"? ;)

I'm sorry you're not having fun, but dieing three times in one mish? I do that without blinking. ;) I think i did ten times on one mish. I changed tactics and beat it. Also got lucky sometimes. The thing that is bugging me is that people are complaining a week in about a patch and quitting over that. Yes the patch made it tougher. I also remember being a warlock in WoW when they were feared (pun intended) and considered OP. I still play that lock, even though they have been nerfed even worse and no one really wants them in groups. The thing is the play here may go back to what you wanted, you'll never know. Don't most people have a free month? Why stop a week in? If you aren't having fun, take a break (this is why i play several mmos, i never really hit high end end-game, but i have fun, and rarely burn out as i have something to serve as a counterpoint).

I'm having a blast in the game though, for what it's worth, deaths and all. I just wish my laptop was more beefy.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Ok, I agree with your method of quitting, but not with the reason you provided (My opinion I know, but hear me out.)

If you really want to see this game work out, it will need the help of people like you who quit on a dime.

Before quitting, think about: How could this game be improved if I stayed and helped?

I just payed $50 and I'll be damned if I let it go to waste, I'll make sure this game comes out right if it's the last thing I do!

I have to say, given your quite venomous post history to the "bawwers" this one is quite reasonable. However, given that cryptic runs on their own terms and takes very little suggestions or advice from the players (formerly testers) there is really little incentive to stay. Sure he could come on and post what he sees is a problem.....and be flamed to death, but there is no real reward for doing so. If he finds the game not fun and the devs unresponsive to a lot of problems to the point of not even saying "oh we're working on it" or "this is why we did X" (And no saying we'll look into it is just a way to get away from a question). In the end though, its his choice but we do share that we hope the devs will make the game better. Until I know they wont (or my 30 days or up) I'll be lurking around here bashing the idiots whenever I can/feel up to it.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:34 PM
I have to say, given your quite venomous post history to the "bawwers" this one is quite reasonable. However, given that cryptic runs on their own terms and takes very little suggestions or advice from the players (formerly testers) there is really little incentive to stay. Sure he could come on and post what he sees is a problem.....and be flamed to death, but there is no real reward for doing so. If he finds the game not fun and the devs unresponsive to a lot of problems to the point of not even saying "oh we're working on it" or "this is why we did X" (And no saying we'll look into it is just a way to get away from a question). In the end though, its his choice but we do share that we hope the devs will make the game better. Until I know they wont (or my 30 days or up) I'll be lurking around here bashing the idiots whenever I can/feel up to it.

On the contrary, I've found them to be exquisitely receptive to player input as long as it's in proper format. (Like not insulting the dev team every other line)

A proper example of a company that doesn't except input is SOE.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:34 PM
I know many hate reading all these negative posts, but please understand that some of us who are upset are not haters of the game, nor plants here to sabotage CO in favor of another game. Were only doing one of the few things we can do to let cryptic know what our opinion is and how it might effect them.

I would have been labeled a fanboi prior to launch. I really loved the game. The flexibility of frameworks, the fighting mechanics. It all added up to a very fun game. Being a huge fan of MMO's I looked at both this and **** and decided this was the place to be. Seeing that I have two 12 year old boys who love to play along, I pre-ordered two sets, bought 1 with a 6-month sub, and jumped into the HS to enjoy good long run in my newest fun MMO.

I created a straight PA build and got him to 19. The first patch came. I found I couldnt solo a group of weaponsmiths any longer in Snake Gulch. Ok, I'll let them work out the kinks and try a Dual Blades Build. Loved this new build. Drove him to 15 and then... The second patch came. I now could not solo King Pong. Died 3 times. I was given a street mission. Two Villians at the end, died three times. So I took a couple day break to see if they would work out those kinks. So tonight I thought... why not try to do the King Ponbg fight again with a healing patch I created. Died again. Well, thats it. I cant keep dying and enjoying myself.

So with that, I wish Cryptic the best and hope they continue to create the game they envision. If they are lucky, what they envision will resinate with many others and they'll have high subscriptions. But for now, I cant take it. So, I'll come check back in on it in a few months, if Im not hooked into another game at that point.

Again, I know these threads are aggrevating the hell out of some of you. Please dont look at it that way. Try and see it from a fan's point of view who just cant continue dying. I just want cryptic to fully get a feel for impacts they're decisions are making. For the good or bad.

And yes, I know I could have grouped. Im sure there is a number of ways I could have fought better or specced better to survive. But Im just an average gamer, trying to enjoy a little down time without frustration.

You died three times and quit?

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:35 PM
If you truly cancelled, good. Cryptic will take notice. Losing customers and funds is why compinies change policies. You did the right thing. There's only a couple of weeks left on the 30days, im still undecided.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:36 PM
There's a word for what Cryptic has done, especially to beta testers...

FLAGSHIPPED!

Bill Roper knows what that means.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:37 PM

FLAGSHIPPED!

This isn't Bill Roper, this is Cryptic.

He doesn't own Cryptic last I checked.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:38 PM
On the contrary, I've found them to be exquisitely receptive to player input as long as it's in proper format. (Like not insulting the dev team every other line)

A proper example of a company that doesn't except input is SOE.

Maybe I have misjudged you, and there may still be a silver lining to a bucket full of muck that is CO's remaining community.

I disagree. From what I've heard (and seen) cryptic generally follows their own path and damned be anyone else. If CoX is any indication only the die hard fans will be left come a years time. I do agree with you VERY much about SoE would rather toss my money into an incinerator than give it to them.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Maybe I have misjudged you, and there may still be a silver lining to a bucket full of muck that is CO's remaining community.

I disagree. From what I've heard (and seen) cryptic generally follows their own path and damned be anyone else. If CoX is any indication only the die hard fans will be left come a years time. I do agree with you VERY much about SoE would rather toss my money into an incinerator than give it to them.

Maybe I'm just so used to how SoE runs things that every time I see them give feedback to the devs my heart skips a beat, lol.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:39 PM
This isn't Bill Roper, this is Cryptic.

He doesn't own Cryptic last I checked.

He does have a major influence on CO's direction though. I hope he isnt pulling another George Lucas with midiclorians and Jar-Jar. *Shudder*

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:41 PM
He does have a major influence on CO's direction though. I hope he isnt pulling another George Lucas with midiclorians and Jar-Jar. *Shudder*

Jar Jar is amazing.

He single-handedly started the gears which would eventually bring balance to the force (temporarily).

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:41 PM
tldr; i could really go for some ice cream right now.
What? It doesn't stand for "Too Late Drunken Reading"? ;)

I'm sorry you're not having fun, but dieing three times in one mish? I do that without blinking. ;) I think i did ten times on one mish. I changed tactics and beat it. Also got lucky sometimes. The thing that is bugging me is that people are complaining a week in about a patch and quitting over that. Yes the patch made it tougher. I also remember being a warlock in WoW when they were feared (pun intended) and considered OP. I still play that lock, even though they have been nerfed even worse and no one really wants them in groups. The thing is the play here may go back to what you wanted, you'll never know. Don't most people have a free month? Why stop a week in? If you aren't having fun, take a break (this is why i play several mmos, i never really hit high end end-game, but i have fun, and rarely burn out as i have something to serve as a counterpoint).

I'm having a blast in the game though, for what it's worth, deaths and all. I just wish my laptop was more beefy.

To the red text I outlined....ugghh I dont know anyway to say this but if you die 3 times and dont even blink you've come far too used to getting rolled....stop sucking :)

Warlocks are still crank crazy numbers in WoW and by that i mean very high DPS unless you have no clue what you're doing.

Though I do agree people shouldnt quite so early in. Theres still months of changes to come as the game is still a baby in the MMO community.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Jar Jar is amazing.

He single-handedly started the gears which would eventually bring balance to the force (temporarily).

He also made me want to burn him in effigy :D. Midiclorians still stand though.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:42 PM

Lol, when he said Midichlorians are what caused the Force, I almost swore star wars off right there.

I had to watch the original trilogy like 5 times to get that out of my head.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Lol, when he said Midichlorians are what caused the Force, I almost swore star wars off right there.

I had to watch the original trilogy like 5 times to get that out of my head.

Haha. Likewise. Personally I was going to play CO until SWTOR came out, but I doubt I'll start logging in again until they fix the XP curve (I'll tough out the mobs and nerfs but not an XP curve).

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:45 PM

There's only one thing that'll make them go away.

And to the whole "Bill Roper doesn't own Cryptic" people, when WoW first launched there was a dev they brought on for raid content that was most well known for being an Everquest poopsocker that hated EQ paladins. People claimed up and down that "he didn't have that much influence" and "stop blaming him for everything wrong with the endgame". Yet, pretty much right after he left Blizzard cut raids down to 25 people max and gave paladins real tanking ability instead of just nominal tanking ability.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Haha. Likewise. Personally I was going to play CO until SWTOR came out, but I doubt I'll start logging in again until they fix the XP curve (I'll tough out the mobs and nerfs but not an XP curve).

I've decided o run with CO as long as I can to see how close to SW:TOR that will take me, but it's likely if STO works out I will be there till SW:TOR comes out.

Either way Cryptic gets my money till SW:TOR comes out.

Then my money shall go to the Church of Bioware.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:48 PM

And to the whole "Bill Roper doesn't own Cryptic" people, when WoW first launched there was a dev they brought on for raid content that was most well known for being an Everquest poopsocker that hated EQ paladins. People claimed up and down that "he didn't have that much influence" and "stop blaming him for everything wrong with the endgame". Yet, pretty much right after he left Blizzard cut raids down to 25 people max and gave paladins real tanking ability instead of just nominal tanking ability.

Paladins shouldn't have tanking abilities though, they are freaking paladins.

Realistically though, players do need options.

And while he may have had a direction with I don't think he would let them flagship their game.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:48 PM

That's like, total conspiracy theory. o.O

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Paladins shouldn't have tanking abilities though, they are freaking paladins.

Last I recall most Paladins are holy knights, and knights tend to be rather good tanks.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Last I recall most Paladins are holy knights, and knights tend to be rather good tanks.

You should really read up on what Paladins are then. :P

Also, even while that guy was on paladins were considered very OP.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:53 PM
You should really read up on what Paladins are then. :P

Also, even while that guy was on paladins were considered very OP.

From wikipedia:

The paladins, sometimes known as the Twelve Peers, were the foremost warriors of Charlemagne's court, according to the literary cycle known as the Matter of France.[1] They first appear in the early chansons de geste such as The Song of Roland, where they represent Christian martial valor against the Saracen hordes. The paladins and their associated exploits are largely later fictional inventions, with some basis on historical Frankish retainers of the 8th century and events such as the Battle of Roncevaux Pass and the confrontation of the Frankish Empire with Umayyad Al-Andalus in the Marca Hispanica.

lol wut

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:55 PM
From wikipedia:

lol wut

Exactly. :)

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:55 PM

Does Batman go out in a T-shirt?

Does Martian Manhunter leave his shields at home?

Would Wolverine be worth a darn if he injected an antimutagen to suppress his regen factor?

Does Colossus run into battle without changing his skin?

What makes you think you can go all offense and do better then any of these superheroes would "specced however they want"?

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:57 PM

Right, so, if you only take the two required attacks when you start the game, then respec off your second attack and take nothing but support, you should be able to solo? Reminds me of that one Empath/Archery defender I saw on City of Heroes. He took only the required base attack power. The rest of his powers were entirely composed of Empathy and pool powers. Then, he bothered to complain that he can't solo any missions and it takes forever to kill a single green conning mob.

Brains required: Every enemy and super-powered threat in Champions Online has its own unique abilities and combat specialties. Use your head or wind up dead!

This isn't WoW, Everquest, or any other game where your build is more or less laid out for you. This game requires you to actually think and use your head, even more so than City of Heroes.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm at a loss here...there was an easy fix for all the problems with king pong....team?

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Does Batman go out in a T-shirt?

Does Martian Manhunter leave his shields at home?

Would Wolverine be worth a darn if he injected an antimutagen to suppress his regen factor?

Does Colossus run into battle without changing his skin?

What makes you think you can go all offense and do better then any of these superheroes would "specced however they want"?

Seems heroes like the Punisher, Captain Britain, Jubilee, Black Canary, Green Arrow, and Night Wing suddenly stopped counting.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:11 PM

Hey, that's my mentality! Except I am only giving it a month.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Seems heroes like the Punisher, Captain Britain, Jubilee, Black Canary, Green Arrow, and Night Wing suddenly stopped counting.

Does Captian Britain ever count?

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:20 PM

Not at all, for a start Punisher does have crowd control and AoE damage, one could argue his knowledge of tactics and weaponry covers both, Captain Britain i dont even understand your point cause he is utterly uber when hes at full power, Jubilee is a support character for storylines and rarely does anything solo, the other three im not familiar with but i wager they follow the same logic.

Most if not all main characters have AoEs and CCs and defensive abilities, the ones who dont are members of supergroups for a reason.

Also those characters are of vastly different power levels, the punisher would not for instance be soloing proper supervillains like magneto or juggernaut, likewise he can solo more powerful enemies than Jubilee who cant solo anything...

It must be said not all published characters are able to solo anyway so in that respect CO is fairly accurate.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:21 PM
The more I play the game, the less sympathy I have for people with these complaints.

Just today someone said they could not really solo if you stuck to a particular powerset, so I have been trying it out, and it is pretty clear to me that it actually has some cool stuff, and things I didn't even know I could do in the game... I am really excited to keep playing this character.

I really guess game developers need to think open skill systems in the future. Most players need the safety and security of a class system that sets a floor that keeps them from under performing.

It seems a lot of players don't really put much time or energy into their MMOG characters from a strategy and development standpoint. They want to go in and chat, play around hit a few buttons and earn some rewards for the effort. Not knocking people, and I guess if I were to look back at my MMOG experience with hindsight, I would have already known this.

I know how I play games and that is not it. I am always looking to better myself and always looking to improve, advance and achieve. A game with a class base system makes it manageable for developers to balance a game for people who don't really care about strategy or real character development. They know even those simplest and most basic player will be able to mash a couple buttons and accomplish x,y, or z.

In an open skill system they can't really do that, because the floor is zero. If they balance it for people who expend no effort, then 75% of the players have a real simple and easy game.

It is too bad though, because the more I play this game the more really cool and interesting twists I find to the power and skill systems and the significant variety and capability available due to how powers work and interact.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:22 PM
This isn't WoW, Everquest, or any other game where your build is more or less laid out for you. This game requires you to actually think and use your head, even more so than City of Heroes.

IE: Max Block, get a potent AoE, win the game.

Glad that takes so much thought!

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:24 PM
I love every post Jure makes, it is like "HAI GAIZ, I AM BETTER THAN ALL OF YOU CAUSE I GOTS A LIFE TIME SUBSCRIPTION AND A COUNTER FOR HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE ON IGNORE! LOLOLOL!"

This community is going places, let me tell you.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:25 PM
I know many hate reading all these negative posts, but please understand that some of us who are upset are not haters of the game, nor plants here to sabotage CO in favor of another game... ...Being a huge fan of MMO's I looked at both this and **** and decided this was the place to be. Seeing that I have two 12 year old boys who love to play along, I pre-ordered two sets, bought 1 with a 6-month sub, and jumped into the HS to enjoy good long run in my newest fun MMO.

Sounds like maybe there are 3 12 year olds playing in your house, because...

Patch, eh?

Of course there will be adjustments, that's the nature of balancing. But, have you noticed that as you level, your character's abilities SCALE DOWN? i.e. You will have to INCREASE YOUR STATS to get the SAME RESULTS. This is a near universal feature of level based MMOs.

I like how you say "Now I can no longer solo King Pong." Well, as it's not a repeatable quest, you certainly weren't defeating him BEFORE the patch.

Learn to gear. The white quality power replacement that gives you a fuel air effect or flaming swords may be cool, but it's not likely to help you beyond unlocking the costume item. Build your stats right. Select damage mitigation, not just Pew Pew, in the Powerhouse. The quests aren't SUPPOSED to be faceroll. If they were, then they would be in danger of losing far more than your 2 subscriprions. Bad, bad Cryptic for insisting on a bit of skill (both during and PRE fight) to accomplish objectives.

You and the boys have fun with ****.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:28 PM
wow people still guit games when they die a lot. Try making sure your gear is uptodate, fits your build ETC but for such a long post sure you thought of that.

GUYS THIS IS NOT COH YOU HAVE TO USE THE GEAR AND KEEP I UP TO DATE! :eek:

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:29 PM

Patch, eh?

Of course there will be adjustments, that's the nature of balancing. But, have you noticed that as you level, your character's abilities SCALE DOWN? i.e. You will have to INCREASE YOUR STATS to get the SAME RESULTS. This is a near universal feature of level based MMOs.

I like how you say "Now I can no longer solo King Pong." Well, as it's not a repeatable quest, you certainly weren't defeating him BEFORE the patch.

Learn to gear. The white quality power replacement that gives you a fuel air effect or flaming swords may be cool, but it's not likely to help you beyond unlocking the costume item. Build your stats right. Select damage mitigation, not just Pew Pew, in the Powerhouse. The quests aren't SUPPOSED to be faceroll. If they were, then they would be in danger of losing far more than your 2 subscriprions. Bad, bad Cryptic for insisting on a bit of skill (both during and PRE fight) to accomplish objectives.

My level 30 fire/ice guy is wearing level 23 gear taking out level 33s with a maxed out block and Pyre. It isn't a gear issue. Haven't messed with the LATEST PTR patch, but the right before it where pyre got a damage nerf, he could still do it that way. The game play in this game is fun!

It is pretty sad, I would of expected MI to have more than 4 shards.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:29 PM
I hate to say it (and I really do), but I'm starting to feel the urge to cancel my subscription for a while. I love this game. Absolutely LOVE it! But what I can't stand is the amount of bugs, technical issues, and server problems that crop up. I know, I know the story... it's a new mmo... server issues... yeah yeah... I've told myself a million times to avoid mmo's when they come out, but man... Champions Online I sooo want to be the exception. Here's hoping for some vastly improved server conditions/uptime soon.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:30 PM

Patch, eh?

You seem to have him all figured out. Obviously it's impossible for him to have a complaint and be over the age of 12. You saw right through that.

You also picked up on the fact that his gear was under performing and his power armor character made much use out of the cool flaming sword power replacer.

I'm sure his whining would be more suitable in the apparently unfriendly pvp environment which is ****.

Dude, I bow down to your observational skills.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Seems heroes like the Punisher,
Invulnerability to represent his toughness, perhaps a Resurgence/Chi Resurgence for when he catches a second wind/proves how hard he is to bring down.
Captain Britain,
Invulnerability and/or Unbreakable since he has superhuman durability, or maybe Lightning Reflexes or Masterful Dodge since he also has superhuman reflexes.
Jubilee,
She's spry enough that Lightning Reflexes or Masterful Dodge would be in-character, I think. Ranged stuns would be good too, but her powers are so visually distinctive it would be hard to recreate her in a game like this.
Black Canary, Green Arrow, and Night Wing suddenly stopped counting.All remarkable martial artists, could snag Lightning Reflexes without breaking concept. Don't actually know DC heroes well enough to be more specific.

Archived Post
Ya know, I only started the game a week before launch, but then, up through now, (1 lvl 19, 1 lvl 14, 1 lvl 9, 2 lvl 5's) I've managed to solo everything, several times. I've also grouped a few times. The only difference that I noticed was that the boss mobs take longer to solo, but even the heavies are do-able if you go in one to two levels higher than they are.

Anyway, nothing that I've seen so far is un-soloable.

Archived Post
You seem to have him all figured out. Obviously it's impossible for him to have a complaint and be over the age of 12. You saw right through that.

You also picked up on the fact that his gear was under performing and his power armor character made much use out of the cool flaming sword power replacer.

I'm sure his whining would be more suitable in the apparently unfriendly pvp environment which is ****.

People are telling people to go to **** instead of WoW now?

I guess they finally realized 11 million subscribers can't be wrong unless you just don't like the game.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Yo

While you're down there...

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:32 PM

ROFL, what a bunch of crap. Whiners straight from the pit of "whatever". Oh no, I can't solo this or that, boo freakin hoo. Serious, why don't you level up a bit more, maybe you will solo things later on at higher levels as well.

If you know people hate reading this crap, then Why do you post it? You post it for the sake of hoping you will get followers. If your character was the all time best, you wouldn't be complaining one bit, but now because of a certain weakness of some sort, you then seem to cry and cry. I have seen so many people needing help with certain quests and the ones I heard don't whine about it.

There is no seeing what you are complaining about from a fans point of view. If you know there were ways that you could have specced better, fought better, or grouped, then this is your own fault. I've have done missions int his game at lvl 15, I get just as frusterated, but some areas need groups. Some builds need a group while others can solo it and vise versa.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:34 PM
ROFL, what a bunch of crap. Whiners straight from the pit of "whatever". Oh no, I can't solo this or that, boo freakin hoo. Serious, why don't you level up a bit more, maybe you will solo things later on at higher levels as well.

If you know people hate reading this crap, then Why do you post it? You post it for the sake of hoping you will get followers. If your character was the all time best, you wouldn't be complaining one bit, but now because of a certain weakness of some sort, you then seem to cry and cry. I have seen so many people needing help with certain quests and the ones I heard don't whine about it.

There is no seeing what you are complaining about from a fans point of view. If you know there were ways that you could have specced better, fought better, or grouped, then this is your own fault. I've have done missions int his game at lvl 15, I get just as frusterated, but some areas need groups. Some builds need a group while others can solo it and vise versa.

So, people should have to level to solo a even level solo quest?

Oh, what awesome advice you give!

Maybe they should con it as a group quest instead! No wait, since -you- can solo it and I can solo it, everyone else can solo it right?

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:34 PM

So by your logic this build should be able to level just fine:

Build by championBuilder 0.2.4 (http://champions.zarzu.ch)

Download this Build here. (http://champions.zarzu.ch/download.php?download=4131g508005001070840015zz077 0140018034001270440015054060c30070i520180b4101250c 2170d500170h30015zz0c50i5675y1085y2005y2055y2035y2 045y2025y20725y0075y0061)

: Level 40 Champion

Superstats:
Level 5: Super Endurance
Level 13: Super Recovery

Powers:
Level 1: Wrist Bolter
Level 1: Beatdown
Level 5: Energy Shield -- Rank 2, Rank 3
Level 5: Tunneling
Level 8: Electric Shield -- Rank 2, Rank 3
Level 11: Force Shield -- Rank 2, Rank 3, Force Sheath
Level 14: Ice Shield -- Rank 2, Rank 3
Level 17: Evasive Maneuvers
Level 20: Bountiful Chi Resurgence -- Rank 2
Level 23: Resurgence -- Rank 2, Rank 3
Level 26: Sneak -- Rank 2, Rank 3, Silent Running
Level 29: Masterful Dodge
Level 32: Telekinetic Shield -- Rank 2, Rank 3
Level 35: Eldritch Shield -- Rank 2, Rank 3
Level 35: Earth Flight
Level 38: Rebirth

Talents:
Level 1: The Hero
Level 6: Mighty
Level 9: Intimidating
Level 12: Brilliant
Level 15: Indomitable
Level 18: Enduring
Level 21: Energetic

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Well after reading a few of these posts it is clear that the person posting is either very ..... ummm lets say not smart or just has no idea how to design a character. We all know that some DPS toons are ment for one thing DPS so when you go up against Villians of any sort unless your DPS out does theirs then you will not win. I have a DPS archer designed for one thing devastating quick ambush or one target kills, and he does amazingly well at it. Now put him in a PVE environment with 2 or more targets he is in trouble, lol. So if you can't solo a mission or cannot solo a GROUP of creatures then don't blame the game blame your inability to design a balance character that can both do well in arena's and PVE.

So basically if you want to quit the game because of your failure to learn or know how to create a balanced toon, then quit but don't blame the game!!!!! I have many different designs and all can solo to one degree or another, but even super hero's need to work together!!!!

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Well I just want to say that although it was a little fruistrating right after head start becuase of the changes.
I am very happy with the game. I am having a lot of fun and even though I have a power or two I will get rid of when i retcon my character is doing just fine.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:37 PM

The problem with your post is not that it's negative, but that it is completely useless. You're not telling Cryptic, you're venting to the populace while claiming to have 'higher goals'. If you REALLY wanted to tell this to Cryptic, you would have sent it straight to them. Don't they have a feedback form for you to fill out when you leave the game? Don't they have email addresses for bigwigs at Cryptic? Don't they have a snail mail address so you can type it up on paper and mail it to them? I'd think THAT would get their attention considering the time and slight cost. Instead, you came into the forums where you knew a bunch of people would flame you and, basically, complained you couldn't solo so the game must be broken and you quit. Although I give you points for doing so nicely and not in a temper tantrum.

For the record, I'm a dual blader and I've gotten to 23 no problem with a minimum of leveling. Btw, isn't King Pong like, a lvl 16 mission? And you're complaining you couldn't do it at 13 solo? So the game is broken?

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:38 PM

Download this Build here. (http://champions.zarzu.ch/download.php?download=4131g508005001070840015zz077 0140018034001270440015054060c30070i520180b4101250c 2170d500170h30015zz0c50i5675y1085y2005y2055y2035y2 045y2025y20725y0075y0061)

Superstats:

Powers:

Talents:

I could switch shields and create a rainbow glitter effect to DESTROY ENEMIES EYE SIGHT! Then spam beat down.

This is -obviously- the kind of build that person was talking about!

Archived Post
Try to also remember that with such a versatile framework system in place, they need to be especially careful with balancing. It's going to take time, especially on live servers where people will definitely figure out things that the devs and betas couldn't find. I've completely re-rolled a character as well, from unarmed to ice. I'm finding that Melee in general is very underpowered right now, but I'm sure they're working on it.

This game also appears to be extremely stat intensive. You need to be mindful of your choices as it'll probably have a great impact on your ability to solo.

Hopefully you get sucked back in at some point, this is a great product.

This.

People seriously quitting when the first week isn't even behind us makes me wonder wtf they were thinking spending the money in the first place. You do realize this is an MMO right? That it takes time to tune and balance everything? You will almost NEVER buy an MMO at release and be completely satisfied (with the initial product and/or the resulting patches - SOMETHING will always bother some players). MMOs are an investment and purchasing one at launch should mean you are willing to commit and play through the game while it grows and balances and is tweaked into a solid product. That's how all MMOs (even WOW) work, and the only way around that is to wait until the game has matured (which you and others didn't).

If you're looking for something perfect right out of the box that will never have patches you dislike, I wholeheartedly suggest you guys NEVER purchase an MMO during its initial 6-months following launch.

There are plenty of things I'd like to see improved in this game, but I'm not shocked at all that I feel that way. I've felt that way about any MMO during launch and almost all of them brought early patches with changes some players didn't favor. But hey, gamers these days seem to be far more impatient and impractical so I suppose I'm not surprised. Next time, be smart and let the game grow before buying - whining because an MMO isn't what you want it to be at launch is a waste of everyone's time.

Archived Post
Invulnerability to represent his toughness, perhaps a Resurgence/Chi Resurgence for when he catches a second wind/proves how hard he is to bring down.

Invulnerability and/or Unbreakable since he has superhuman durability, or maybe Lightning Reflexes or Masterful Dodge since he also has superhuman reflexes.

She's spry enough that Lightning Reflexes or Masterful Dodge would be in-character, I think. Ranged stuns would be good too, but her powers are so visually distinctive it would be hard to recreate her in a game like this.
All remarkable martial artists, could snag Lightning Reflexes without breaking concept. Don't actually know DC heroes well enough to be more specific.

Alright, you did a good job of making people have appropriate defensives, but as far as we know those heroes lack them. Soheifox was only talking about heroes who have defensive passives, when there are tons of other heroes who don't have them, who he chose to ignore.

Such as Johnny Storm, Ice Man, Jean Grey, Beautiful Dreamer, etc.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:40 PM

Superstats:

Powers:

Talents:

Great build I was thinking of a build that was the first power of every power set.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:40 PM
I could switch shields and create a rainbow glitter effect to DESTROY ENEMIES EYE SIGHT! Then spam beat down.

This is -obviously- the kind of build that person was talking about!

Of course it's not. The point remains that you can't just slap any old build together and reasonably expect it to work just fine.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Of course it's not. The point remains that you can't just slap any old build together and reasonably expect it to work just fine.

Yah, and you did a wonderful job of NOT proving that.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:43 PM

So, someone that stays within one power set isn't reasonable, and shouldn't be able to solo?

I see what you did there!

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:43 PM
So, people should have to level to solo a even level solo quest?

Oh, what awesome advice you give!

Maybe they should con it as a group quest instead! No wait, since -you- can solo it and I can solo it, everyone else can solo it right?

oh another whiner, just follow him around please. Do you really think that the devs can just get up and fix something at the snap of a finger? what kind of advice are you giving? exactly, nothing. There are people like him that are going to leave no matter what the case is. if the devs can't cater to their needs at the snap of a finger, they will cancel there subscription. It's the way the mmorpg world is, you get a bunch of these people. Also, in the mmorpg forums, there are people like you that stick up for people like him, even though it's not really worth it.

maybe the guy was putting in stupid stats that didn't have anything to do witht he class he was. Or maybe, just maybe he is purchase stupid things right away that wouldn't really show unless you get other abilities that tie into those abilities. so with that being said, yes there are certain speccs that can solo well at THAT GIVEN TIME depending on what they got as abilities, AGAIN, AT THAT TIME.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:46 PM
oh another whiner, just follow him around please. Do you really think that the devs can just get up and fix something at the snap of a finger?

They messed it up at the snap of a finger, so yes.

Archived Post
So, someone that stays within one power set isn't reasonable, and shouldn't be able to solo?

I see what you did there!

His post didn't say he was sticking within one framework. He said "any damned way I want". Now unless the devs are expected to hire Dionne Warwick and her psychic friends so the devs know what "any damned way I want" means, then you'd have to let someone just put anything together and expect it to work.

Archived Post

We've had people not slotting passives, people picking lots of tier one powers, people just picking healing or cc, people who don't know about equipment, people who pick super stats they don't use, people using pets like they're summoning live players, people forgetting to go to the powerhouse, people spending all their cash on respecs and tailor changes....

I mean I'm an idiot but it took one character to 15 to get a hang of things, I restarted and I've been good so far, I'm never going to be the best at anything, but I'm more than great enough at everything.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:47 PM
oh another whiner, just follow him around please. Do you really think that the devs can just get up and fix something at the snap of a finger? what kind of advice are you giving? exactly, nothing. There are people like him that are going to leave no matter what the case is. if the devs can't cater to their needs at the snap of a finger, they will cancel there subscription. It's the way the mmorpg world is, you get a bunch of these people. Also, in the mmorpg forums, there are people like you that stick up for people like him, even though it's not really worth it.

So it is OK that devs can break many, many powers with a snap of the finger, AND it is ok that they can't fix them?

The irony is delicious. It needs more salt.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Yah, and you did a wonderful job of NOT proving that.

Yah, actually I did, unless you think that build I just slapped together will work. Feel free to give it a shot.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:48 PM
His post didn't say he was sticking within one framework. He said "any damned way I want". Now unless the devs are expected to hire Dionne Warwick and her psychic friends so the devs know what "any damned way I want" means, then you'd have to let someone just put anything together and expect it to work.

If Dionne Warwick ran this game, it'd be so much better. Psychics are some silly people.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Yah, actually I did, unless you think that build I just slapped together will work. Feel free to give it a shot.

You truly underestimate the power of so many active defensive abilities and shields!

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:50 PM
So it is OK that devs can break many, many powers with a snap of the finger, AND it is ok that they can't fix them?

The irony is delicious. It needs more salt.

really, read what I posted please before even commenting. You don't need anymore salt because it's making you stupid.

Archived Post

It would... but it would be VERY slow and you'd probably turn emo and gain real life super powers if you hit 40 with it.

Archived Post
It would... but it would be VERY slow and you'd probably turn emo and gain real life super powers if you hit 40 with it.

Kinda like how you did?

Maybe with or without the emo part.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:52 PM
really, read what I posted please before even commenting. You don't need anymore salt because it's making you stupid.

He did read what you posted.

Cute nonsensical insult, however.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Honestly? I think the first month of play after launch should be *completely* free to those who purchased the game. That free time should be added to the existing free month given by the game's purchase. So, playing from day one, you should get two months of free play.

Also, at launch, the game should be considerably discounted. This encourages people to buy the game. Most people will likely take advantage of the first two free months of play at the very least. By the end of the first two months, the game should be stabilized a fair bit. This would be the perfect time to begin mass advertising as well as upping the price on the game. New players still receive that one-month of free game time, but the game copy will cost more.

This sales strategy is closer to the truth of the matter; the game's first couple of months will undoubtedly be unstable, and in order to compensate for that fact, anyone who is willing to put up with it and possibly help polish the game post-launch are rewarded for it. Once the game stabilizes, then prices go up and people know that the game is mostly solid.

I don't like how MMOs feel they are on the same level as your standard, non-MMO game. Unless the MMO is solid from day one (which it never is), then they have no right charging the larger fees. They need to change their perspective so as not to **** off as many early customers, because ****ing off early customers hampers later subscriber counts. I'm not say it stays that way, but it adds an extra hurdle that some MMOs just don't get over. Bad reputations stick longer and harder than good reputations, and MMO developers need to realize this, especially if they intend to stay in the long-run.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:53 PM

oh another whiner, just follow him around please. Do you really think that the devs can just get up and fix something at the snap of a finger?

Like I said, the irony is delicious. I'm defending EVERYONES right to their opinion as long as it isn't aggressive. I post in the (handful) "I love this game" threads telling people that is awesome, and I hope they continue to enjoy it.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:53 PM
/sarcasm on
So I built like this awesomely powered like um superhero and I like, went afk for 20 minutes to um get some more like cheetos and my character was dead and wtf! cryptic you broke the game with um your patch and I QUIT! I can't even solo multiple spawning groups of bad guys when I'm AFK and that's not fair! I paid for the game and I'm a costumer and the costomer is always right and I DEMAND you fix the game so I don't die getting cheetoes!
/sarcasm off

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:54 PM
He did read what you posted.

Cute nonsensical insult, however.

He obviously didn't read it, instead just putting some stupid comment to fire me up. Keep sticking up for him because this is very interesting, as a matter of fact, I will bet you will be another to cancel your sub within the next month.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:54 PM
/sarcasm on
So I built like this awesomely powered like um superhero and I like, went afk for 20 minutes to um get some more like cheetos and my character was dead and wtf! cryptic you broke the game with um your patch and I QUIT! I can't even solo multiple spawning groups of bad guys when I'm AFK and that's not fair! I paid for the game and I'm a costumer and the costomer is always right and I DEMAND you fix the game so I don't die getting cheetoes!
/sarcasm off

That's not sarcasm.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:55 PM
I was going to make a PA guy, but the way the wrist bolters fire on males makes me want to hurl, and I refuse to suddenly change into the opposite sex.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Like I said, the irony is delicious. I'm defending EVERYONES right to their opinion as long as it isn't aggressive. I post in the (handful) "I love this game" threads telling people that is awesome, and I hope they continue to enjoy it.

OHHHHH, I see, so your defending the right for everyone to have an opinion. What are you, the voice of reason? not doing a good job :eek:

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:57 PM
He obviously didn't read it, instead just putting some stupid comment to fire me up. Keep sticking up for him because this is very interesting, as a matter of fact, I will bet you will be another to cancel your sub within the next month.

LOL.

1. He did read it, go up a few posts and you will see that he posted what you said and his comment. Go even further up and you'll see I made a very similar comment.

2. I'll cancel my sub once I get one. :D

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:57 PM
OHHHHH, I see, so your defending the right for everyone to have an opinion. What are you, the voice of reason? not doing a good job :eek:

I'm more like a nuclear bomb of reasons. I leave disaster and wake everywhere I go, but everyone ends up being better cause of it.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Personally I find games that allow you to hop in on the first day as an unbeatable juggernaut boring. I find the challenge of defeating a scenario that seems unwinnable through trial and error rewarding. My main character is a straight martial arts framework. No customization just run in and beat stuff up. I died several times trying King Pong but, eventually I figured out what the problem was. MY SKILL WAS INSUFFICIENT! Oddly enough when I looked at my copy of Champions Online nowhere on it did it say it included my free expert skill package. So I did something most gamers don't usually do. I thought out my strategy and went in and beat the everloving Me out of the mobs.
My point is that games have a learning curve. If you want a game that lets you win everytime with little or no thought might I suggest you play Tic Tac Toe against yourself or any 4 year old you can find. Now I know some of you will find that the 4 year old is a crafty opponet that beats you every time. Well my advice then would be to find a different 4 year old. Not all of them are smarter than you.
I've read a bible full of posts complaining about the nerfs and how they ruined your character. Hmmm maybe just maybe your build was unbalanced or outright broken giving you a tremendous advantage that was not intended and thus had to be rectified. So now the game is a challenge to you and you just can't roll over Grond, Dr. Destroyer, and Mechanon in a 3 on 1 battle anymore. Well OH MY ME!!! If the nerfs are your problem then I suggest you stay away from any MMO as they have happened and will continue to happen as long as there are MMO's. If broken poweres were never fixed you'd have a game full of max level characters all with the same powers running around going "lol lol lol I'm a doofus lol lol lol"
As for the technical issues the servers are having. Well if you choose to quit because you feel that they are too frequent well I can't argue too much against that viewpoint. I can only say that I plan to give it more than a few days to be resolved. If in the unlikely event I choose at some point in the future to quit the game I can promise you that I will not come to the forums to get in my last "WAAAGH I don't like it I'm quitting!". The only reason to do so would be in the hope that either I could convince others to quit or maybe hope that the folks at Cryptic would pay Angelina Jolie to come to my house and fulfil my every fantasy in order to get me to change my mind. Neither is likely to happen.

P.S. Hey Cryptic if the Angelina Jolie thing is doable you have my address and phone number right????

Archived Post
You guys remeber those old game. Dark Age of Camelot, Everquest, Anarchy Online, final Fantasy 11. All those games that were hard as hell to solo in and pretty much required you to constnatly team up. Ah those were the days.

Sadly it is frowned upon to make an MMO game that get people to actually work together frequently. It is even more frowned upon to make a game "hard".

Well I like my hard as hell game. I've been dying for an MMO with a challenge beyond just crafting and obtaining super gear.

Archived Post

God I hope that was sarcasm. Because, if not, it's about the stupidest thing I've heard all day. And that's counting some of the anti-RP trolls in that thread earlier today.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 10:01 PM
You guys remeber those old game. Dark Age of Camelot, Everquest, Anarchy Online, final Fantasy 11. All those games that were hard as hell to solo in and pretty much required you to constnatly team up. Ah those were the days.

Sadly it is frowned upon to make an MMO game that get people to actually work together frequently. It is even more frowned upon to make a game "hard".

Well I like my hard as hell game. I've been dying for an MMO with a challenge beyond just crafting and obtaining super gear.

Problem.

Some people claim the game is easy. Some claim it is hard.

Who's right and who is wrong?

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 10:04 PM

FLAGSHIPPED!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wow! You know, I thought this was clever the first 100 times I read it. You sir are SOOOOO original.

Funny thing though - HellGate London had a lot of issues, the largest being it wasn't a true MMO. It had more in common with SoE's Planetside; and I'd more consider what they did as a 'Subscription FPS' rather than an MMO.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 10:09 PM
LOL.

1. He did read it, go up a few posts and you will see that he posted what you said and his comment. Go even further up and you'll see I made a very similar comment.

2. I'll cancel my sub once I get one. :D

With respect its tough to take your opinion seriously when you arent even playing the release version of the game.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Problem.

Some people claim the game is easy. Some claim it is hard.

Who's right and who is wrong?

The people who have actually played hard games are right. All games these days are very dumbed down, simplistic, and, yes, EASY compared to what was made earlier in the decade and in the last 1990s. This applies to almost every genre, and playing a game like CO and seeing people seriously claim it is too hard just boggles the mind.

I am not trying to argue that insane difficulty makes a game good. However, using the game's difficulty as a strike against it would make any old-school gamer (aka someone who didn't grow up on the 360) laugh. Games these days are not insanely challenging, difficulty, or punishing the way they used to be - ironically, the shift towards content accessibility is probably most noticeable in the MMO genre.

This game may not be what you want/expected, but it certainly isn't too difficult. Maybe people are just too used to facerolling through video games these days?

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 10:27 PM

And there's the problem... before the Launch Day patch, you _could_ slap any build together and succeed. I was, in fact, having a blast doing so. Now, if I don't have overpowered AOE or CC, I'm basically dead in the water.

Is the game still playable? Yes, at least until they realize that the AOE and CC abilities are letting people solo the things they claim the nerf was designed to stop and nerf those into the ground as well.

Is it still fun? Not for me, I was enjoying not having to spec FOTM builds to enjoy myself and advance.

Was it too easy? I'd say yes, but I think what it needed was simply a slight tweaking of the enemies, especially Master Villian and above, not wholesale slaughter of all passives combined with an across the board NPC damage increase without any testing.

I'll add my likely farewells to this thread as well. I'm holding off until the 14th or so to see what changes the devs make, but as I have not opened my 2 retail copies yet, if I don't see a pretty major change posted before that, they go back unopened and I'll be getting a refund on 2 lifetime subs. This simply isn't the game I was playing until 6am almost every day in CB and OB, and it actually kind of depresses me to see what happened so quickly to a game I was loving.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Marketing basics:

You need to replace a dissatisfied customer with 3 satisfied ones to compensate for the bad rep the unhappy one is spreading.

A happy customer will spread the word to avg. 7 friends how happy he is with the product, and most of them will still think twice before buying. A crossed customer will badmouth the product to about 20 people in his surroundings and it's very rare that any of them buy the product as it's easier to convince someone to NOT buy, than to sell something.

I don't give much for the I quit threads, and I actually think that the constant swarm of the same trolls calling "Can I haz your stuffz plz, kkthxbai!" are worse as they just add to the attention and actually make the community seem worse than it is.

I do however feel a loss for those that quit silently. Those that doesn't gripe on the boards, because I know that the ones that come here and try to express their discontempt are just a minority, and they actually try to express what they are lacking and could be turned into happy customers (well, not all of them), but the ones that quit silently are just plain gone, and they will stop 20 other ppl from joining us and help this game become a financial success.

Jack said that he learned stuff from his experience with CoH, but I feel that it doesn't shine through. Him and Bill still seem to think that it's "their" game, when in fact they don't have nothing if they can't cater to their paying customers.

Me, I'm staying, and I still think it's fun. Less fun than it was 2 weeks ago, and I'm pretty crossed that I've had to use all the resources from 2 toons to keep 1 playable during the constant power changes, but I've paid a life sub and I just hope I'll see the day where I'm starting to play for "free" in 13 months.