PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Powers...

Archived Post
09-06-2009, 08:38 PM
What really had me interested was mixing powers...I was eager to have munitions stuff, but, add some bots do it so I could have a couple turrets with me at all times. It's a cool idea, but, it seems you are punished for that. Are powers mixed? Is it ok to start with a different energy generating power and another power from a set when you make a character? Is it best to put all your power points in one tree?

With me, it seems mixing powers would be a need idea...like a claw guy shooting guns. Or a power armor guy holding a sword.

Archived Post
09-06-2009, 08:44 PM
What really had me interested was mixing powers...I was eager to have munitions stuff, but, add some bots do it so I could have a couple turrets with me at all times. It's a cool idea, but, it seems you are punished for that. Are powers mixed? Is it ok to start with a different energy generating power and another power from a set when you make a character? Is it best to put all your power points in one tree?

With me, it seems mixing powers would be a need idea...like a claw guy shooting guns. Or a power armor guy holding a sword.

Best idea id say for you is to build what you want, you can make it effective but it might take you a little longer to get to tier 3 powers if you spread yourself to thin. However alot of the lower tier powers are still very strong. With all that being said alot of the individual powersets are built to synergize with other skills in the set well, so thats always a good incentive to be more focused, however some synergize well with other sets to so that can be incentive to branch out as well.

Most powersets don't have enough powers to take up all the powers you get a chance to pickup during your career either, or might only have a few powers that interest you.

Archived Post
09-06-2009, 08:47 PM

The power selection is mostly "open", but they are gated by how many previous powers form a set you have. The energy building power seems to count as 2-3 powers for purposes of prerequisites - I've seen some powers that will say "requires 5 powers from X set or 8 non-energy generating powers from Y set".

Archived Post
09-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Get the championBuilder and try coming up with various builds that sounds fun to you.

Of course you can mix and match. That's the best part of character development in this game.

Archived Post
09-06-2009, 08:58 PM
I have a fighting claw & darkness main and those two power sets involve 4 separate prime stats: STR, DEX, CON and END. That's a spread for trying to build on. I've super stated STR and END as a halfway measure, My selection of talents are with all four stats in mind. As far as gameplay goes, I'm doing fine at lvl 16. Solo is not a problem for co-level 4-man mobs (with or without a villain), as well as henchman-villain pairs a level up. I plan on making crafting the way to finally put the stats right, but that's for later on.

Still, my main has four stats to worry about during the build. I would suggest finding two power sets you like that have a common stat, which will reduce your key stats to three.

Archived Post
09-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Get the championBuilder and try coming up with various builds that sounds fun to you.

Of course you can mix and match. That's the best part of character development in this game.

I second thst.

Archived Post
09-06-2009, 09:09 PM
I have a fighting claw & darkness main and those two power sets involve 4 separate prime stats: STR, DEX, CON and END. That's a spread for trying to build on. I've super stated STR and END as a halfway measure, My selection of talents are with all four stats in mind. As far as gameplay goes, I'm doing fine at lvl 16. Solo is not a problem for co-level 4-man mobs (with or without a villain), as well as henchman-villain pairs a level up. I plan on making crafting the way to finally put the stats right, but that's for later on.

Still, my main has four stats to worry about during the build. I would suggest finding two power sets you like that have a common stat, which will reduce your key stats to three.

You don't actually need the recommended stats for all powersets you choose to use.

Claw attacks should work off any stat setup. I see no attacks in Darkness that would push a certain stat build one way or the other. The Passives are the skills you need to look at the stats for. Lightning Reflexes works off Dexterity, Shadow Form works off. . . Endurance? Constitution?