PDA

View Full Version : Avenger role worthless?

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Just wondering...does anyone use avenger role? Anytime I go into it, sure I do a little more damage but just get annihilated by anything and everything.

My first two characters use defensive passives so I haven't noticed til now, but using an offensive one, esp in avenger role, seems like suicide unless your not soloing. Seems a little silly..

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I see most of the roles as mainly for teaming. I have no problem running as an avenger with my gunslinger when grouped with some friends. I agree that soloing with avenger is fairly suicidal.

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 11:40 AM
I see most of the roles as mainly for teaming. I have no problem running as an avenger with my gunslinger when grouped with some friends. I agree that soloing with avenger is fairly suicidal.

Soloing with an avenger does seem pretty suicidal. However, teamed with someone on Protector it's a godsend. Remember, when soloing with it you're going to (a) be decreasing your defensive capabilities and (b) generating a lot more hatred from mobs, so unless you find soloing far too easy in general... it's a team option :)

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I have two characters that use avenger build 90% of the time. A TK ego blades user with shadow form, and an electric build using electric form. Both are super stated end/con, the tk guy is level 19, and the electric just hit level 16. I play both in groups and solo, and stay in avenger mode 90% of the time in both situations.

I have tried switching back to balanced role on both. When I do that on the TK guy, I also switch to PFF. While the electric guy, so far, I still stay in electric form (she doesn't have a defensive passive yet). While I certaintly notice an increase in my survivability, I also notice a huge decrease in my damage output, which in 90% of the situations I find myself in, does more harm than good. That is to say, unless I'm fighting a really big pull or a nasty super villian, I find it easier to solo in avenger mode.

I have also created a new archery character, level 13, superstated dex/ego, who I still run in balanced role. In his case, even though he's DPS is great, I just can't take the hit to HP.

Edit: I should probably add that I haven't picked up a block power, self-heal, active defensive clickie on either of those builds yet (I plan / planned to get them at higher level when "the game actually gets difficult", in retrospec that is happening earlier than expected), and only the TK build has a hold/cc, ego choke. It's all pure dps at this point.

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 12:01 PM
I run a tk with a focus on ego blades. I run in Guardian(balanced) IMy super stats/talents boost Ego, Con, Dex, and Endurance. I die on packs of 6 more if there is a villian or greater present. I see the other roles as useful for grouping. I actually flip on protector in groups. works well.