PDA

View Full Version : Am I insane or is the World insane?

Archived Post
09-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Where are all these complaints about being unable to solo comming from?

I have an 18th level Gadgeteer with one force power (PFF) I can solo an average group of baddies 2 levels higher than me with only a little difficulty. I can wipe out waves of 18-19th level henchmen with nothing but my energy builder (Sonic Pistol with refraction of sound.) Sure my healing bots kinda suck at the moment, but they've still saved my ass a few times. That's about the only complaint I have.

Have I been playing a different game or something?

I've been very careful picking my powers and tested them thouroughly in the powerhouse, as far as builds go I've barely scratched the surface, but I'll be remedying this soon. if someone wants to recommend a build that sucks so I can experience this strange game of pain and grief you've all been playing. I'd appreciate it.

It's for Science and my sanity after all!

Archived Post
09-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Your insane.

Archived Post
09-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Where are all these complaints about being unable to solo comming from?

I have an 18th level Gadgeteer with one force power (PFF) I can solo an average group of baddies 2 levels higher than me with only a little difficulty. I can wipe out waves of 18-19th level henchmen with nothing but my energy builder (Sonic Pistol with refraction of sound.) Sure my healing bots kinda suck at the moment, but they've still saved my ass a few times. That's about the only complaint I have.

Have I been playing a different game or something?

I've been very careful picking my powers and tested them thouroughly in the powerhouse, as far as builds go I've barely scratched the surface, but I'll be remedying this soon. if someone wants to recommend a build that sucks so I can experience this strange game of pain and grief you've all been playing. I'd appreciate it.

It's for Science and my sanity after all!

Im happy for you...now go with a pure Gadgeteer build with no custom powers or change in original stats...then come back and see if you sing the same toon. No-one is insane (subtle namecalling) but many people just went with the pure build feature and before patch they rocked and now not so much. Or picked poorly with pure/custom builds.

Archived Post
09-04-2009, 10:15 PM
We're all insane, what's sanity got to do with gaming?

Archived Post
09-04-2009, 10:17 PM
I agree. I've had no problem soloing, but mainly because I carefully tested my powers in the Powerhouse to be sure they worked well as a combination.

Cheers.

Archived Post
09-04-2009, 10:17 PM
It's mostly just a bunch of people who, for reasons mostly having to do with concept hangups at best and unwillingness to adapt at worst, really, really want the developers to unnerf the passives so they can lean entirely on one power for all their needs just like they were able to do during the three day head start.

So they've been yelling, complaining, and (my favorite) inventing imaginary girlfriends who can't play now, and so on, in an appeal that's basically ignoring the fact that the developers have pretty much flat out told them (http://forums.champions-online.com/showpost.php?p=884753&postcount=35) it's never going to happen when the release-day patch rolled because having passives that powerful was "massively overpowered."

Once in a great while, one who is capable of constructing a reasonable argument takes a swing at it, and the forum mods are so impressed they complement them (http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?p=955400#post955400). Of course, this doesn't mean they're right (http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?p=955623#post955623), but at least that's a great improvement from the usual baseless gnashing of teeth.

They seem very prevalent on the forum, but that's mostly because most people have moved on and are enjoying themselves in the game right now.

Archived Post
09-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Yes, we Gadgeteers live in an insane world.

I'm in the same boat. I have grouped very little in my 22 levels. The only problem I am seeing with field drones (which seems why I tend to die) is that they only seem to want to work in instances and MC. You get out to the desert or Canada and their circuits either overheat or freeze up. There have been missions that I just could not do alone like the Purple Gang mission with Poe. Other than that I really have no problem.

I also haven't dealt with changing builds. Haven't needed it, but since I was having trouble in the Desert and am starting to have trouble in Canada I might have to experiment with it some. I would hate to think we are overpowered and get nerfed. That would really be bad. I don't do too well in PVP and without the Field Drones I seem to be getting squishy.

But possibility since we really don't have that much in the way of power replacers or the like through crafting that I have seen maybe this is why our framework is the way it is.

Archived Post
09-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Bah... that's nothing. I am a dude in a powerarmor (and have the PFF *g*) and i cracked a lvl 22 Villain when i was lvl 16. Without any consumables or such things. (I just hovered over him, blocked his throwing weapon and shot him in the face with my power gauntlet. If you get the timing right the block is instand godmode *g*.

Archived Post
09-04-2009, 10:57 PM
What you have to realise is that not all builds or even powersets are created equal. My gadgeteer does fine, and the energy builder with cone advantage is a very good power - in fact I find that it has much better dps (even discounting the fact that its a cone) than the experimental blaster. It still frustrating when your pets are doing everything but the thing you want them to do but its playable at least.

OTH my dual blades/munitions character with lightning reflexes gets shredded all the time. The last quest I tried to do on her was the quest in canada where you have to save the telioclone. 6 -1 henchmen destroyed my LR character before she kill a single one of them.

Archived Post
09-04-2009, 11:11 PM
It's mostly just a bunch of people who, for reasons mostly having to do with concept hangups at best and unwillingness to adapt at worst, really, really want the developers to unnerf the passives so they can lean entirely on one power for all their needs just like they were able to do during the three day head start.

The game as designed and tested in OB was to be functional for characters who chose to use one damage mitigation strategy. It also was designed initially that any character would be game functional only using the powers in their chosen framework. Now that they have changed the game so that all characters must start using multiple damage mitigation strategies, they need to add these to the frameworks that are missing them. [As an aside, some crowd control powers are still so stupidly over powered that you can pretty much forgo any other defense and just use them. I am sure that they will be dealt with in the next change.]

The problem with power choices are that players do not approach the purchase of powers in the same way. One type of player looks at all the power frameworks as just different aisles in a supermarket. It does not matter that Regeneration is in Supernatural for example. If that is what you need for your "build" to work then you choose it. The other type of player is the complete opposite. How a power is described completely limits is use by the player depending on the character's back story. For them, it does matter that Regeneration is Supernatural and will not take it because it is out of concept. For these players, frameworks which are lacking a good damage mitigation strategy have become problematic. The devs should review the frameworks and make sure that they can function in and of themselves after this patch

So they've been yelling, complaining, and (my favorite) inventing imaginary girlfriends who can't play now, and so on, in an appeal that's basically ignoring the fact that the developers have pretty much flat out told them (http://forums.champions-online.com/showpost.php?p=884753&postcount=35) it's never going to happen when the release-day patch rolled because having passives that powerful was "massively overpowered."

While some people have been calling for a repeal, more have been calling for the following (at least in the threads I've read). And of these only two address changes that came with the recent patch -- the others are calling for even more re-balancing in a future patch.

1. Re-balance the passives up a bit (I think this is dependent upon the passive actually. Personally I feel that Defiance and Lightning Reflexes were lacking a bit before the patch and are still behind the other after the patch).

2. Tone the Henchman damage down.

3. Change Crowd Control

4. Reduce AOE attack damage

And finally, to the OP who asked a question of which framework to try post-patch to get a feel for some players complaints. I would suggest Might. The secondary effects of Might are largely KB. KB is very problematic because (especially in open areas) tends to generate adds which compound the survivability issue. Also, Defiance is not a great Defensive Passive. The ability to add Knock Down to the Might attacks instead of KB (maybe as a power enhancement) would go a long way to bringing the framework's survivability back up.

Archived Post
09-04-2009, 11:27 PM
All these people saying soloing is easy... I'm calling BS... you have to have pets, or 2 defensives to even attempt soloing most of the game, which leaves you using the same 2 attacks for so long its moronic.

And frankly the game is extremely buggy... the UI is clunky, the missions are clunky, hell even talking to a mish giver is clunky.

I don't think the game is horrible... but to sit around calling it the best game ever is absolutely BS.

Archived Post
09-04-2009, 11:45 PM
To the OP.

1) You might be insane but I am not qualified to diagnose that for you.

2) You are not yet high enough level to really start to notice the very bad impacts of the over nerfs.

3) I have not yet played your build but you need to realize that not everyone is playing your build.

To be fair I can completely understand how you might have experienced little to no problems yet and were honestly wondering what was going on. The truth is, roll a few different toons based on imagination and try to get them to the mid twenties and then post back here how you took ten different builds all the way to their mid twenties with no problems (soloing with no deaths - just want to make sure you include the standard BS garb).