PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Authenticate

Archived Post
09-04-2009, 10:48 PM
I am having problems with the launcher not letting me into the game. I keep getting the error "Unable to Authenticate". I loaded the game and was able to get past the launcher when first install but it hung on the splash/loading screen and now i cant even get that far. Any ideas on how to fix this would be great.

Thank you in advance

Archived Post
09-04-2009, 10:59 PM
I've been having that problem since Sept 1, when I first installed it. I've written 3 tickets, and called the tech support line. Every response has been: try and log in later.

I'm trying to keep my cool, but understandably I'm getting a bit frustrated.

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Same thing happening to me tonight. I was able to log in a few hours ago :(

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 01:45 AM
I've been completely fine up until after the maintenance... Now I get this same exact error after entering my User ID/PW. Been getting it for about 20 minutes now.

Just to reiterate, I have NEVER gotten this before.

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 01:47 AM
i tried to start the game client directly, and it worked, but it got no connection to the account server -> no login

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 01:48 AM
I've been completely fine up until after the maintenance... Now I get this same exact error after entering my User ID/PW. Been getting it for about 20 minutes now.

Exactly the same here :-(

Archived Post
yup same, have been able to play a couple of hours ago and now nothing ....

"unable to Authenticate" ...

Archived Post
Just started getting this as well.

Archived Post
Same here ... each day theres something new. :(

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 01:49 AM
Same. Guess they borked something.

Ah well, back to Arkham Asylum.

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 01:49 AM
Same for me. Game server maybe be up, but that doesnt help when you cannot logon.

Lets hope they fix it soon.

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 01:50 AM
So I quit WoW to play this game. Lag, horrible fps and dumbed-down graphics and I've still been trying to enjoy my time. Now just tonight the game refuses to authenticate.

Well played, Cryptic. You got me for $50 but you wont get a monthly fee from me. Looks like now I'll just look forward to WoW: Cataclysm.

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 01:50 AM
Try running the game client directly.
ie. Drive:\\Path\Cryptic Studios\Champions Online\Live\GameClient.exe

I was having this issue and that let me login.

Edit: Nope, just got kicked and that isn't working either now.

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 01:52 AM
It does show that one of my friends is online from the main site, so apparently this is only affecting some of us?

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 01:53 AM
So I quit WoW to play this game. Lag, horrible fps and dumbed-down graphics and I've still been trying to enjoy my time. Now just tonight the game refuses to authenticate.

Well played, Cryptic. You got me for $50 but you wont get a monthly fee from me. Looks like now I'll just look forward to WoW: Cataclysm.

It's a new game, give it some time...I don't experience lag or horrible FPS and I like the graphics, a nice change from WoW!

EDIT: I managed to log in now! :) and I didn't do anything different, just clicked the game and wrote my pass and I got in.

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 01:53 AM
Having same problem here (in the UK).

Was hoping to get a few hours in , before the wife comes home and wants to go shopping :-)

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 01:54 AM
Same problem.Tried running the game directly and still couldnt connect to the account server :(

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 01:55 AM
Well, I'm trying both using the patcher and starting the game client directly, but the patcher says Unable to authenticate, and the client won't let me connect to the login server - so obviously something's wrong again.

So much for a half-hour's downtime.

Still, it's not like I'm surprised. Or angry. Just very, very disappointed.

-CuriousCat

EDIT: Not disappointed anymore! Seems like it was fixed fast this time! :D

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 01:55 AM
so it seems a general problem

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 01:56 AM
Well... It's all fixed for me now. Only about an hour after last logging in... Hopefully other people are having similar luck.

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 01:58 AM
YEP, seems they repaired it

Archived Post
09-05-2009, 11:40 AM
It's a new game, give it some time...I don't experience lag or horrible FPS and I like the graphics, a nice change from WoW!

EDIT: I managed to log in now! :) and I didn't do anything different, just clicked the game and wrote my pass and I got in.

You're correct. It's only a few days into it. I enjoy the game so I'll certainly hang around for the 30 days. I can't play a game like this on crappy settings. Just looks bad. So I'll slog through until they get it patched. The other thread shows hope of a coming patch to fix most of the fps/lag issues, or at least improve them.

Archived Post
09-06-2009, 04:47 AM
I have been (and still am) getting this since day one. Rather frustrating to say the least!
Has anyone found any fixes that seem to alleviate the problem somewhat?

Archived Post
09-06-2009, 05:40 AM
I have been (and still am) getting this since day one. Rather frustrating to say the least!
Has anyone found any fixes that seem to alleviate the problem somewhat?

Finally, someone else with the same damn problem. I've had it since Sept 1, and have yet to log in. Please, if you figure out a solution, let me know.

Archived Post
09-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I've had it since launch when using Windows 7. Works fine for me in Vista though.

Archived Post
09-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Finally, someone else with the same damn problem. I've had it since Sept 1, and have yet to log in. Please, if you figure out a solution, let me know.

I kind of suspect this problem is more common than the forums would suggest. I started with the autoupdate time out and now have the unable to authenticate....what a way to launch a game. wonder if it will be this bad for star trek as well?

EDIT: Ok, got off the phone with tech support and can now get past the launcher and past the authentication. Tip. Make sure to forward ports 7000-7599. This got me thru the autoupdater and past the login authentication issue. If you are having the same problem, give this a try.

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 08:27 AM
OK all try this== If you get to launch and it doesnt give you an error

don;t close the screen let it sit there.. if you dont get something after half an hour retry.

this is the same thing that happened in beta- it doesnt matter your computer speed or connection type
packets are sent slowly..

not a great answer but if your in the launch screen or patch screen let it go till it times out or errors

Archived Post
09-07-2009, 04:55 PM
i have been having the same exact problem ever since i installed the game. i was able to login in only once but only to find that the server was down for maintainance.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm having the problem now and just found the thread on the forum. The real problem is that, in three pages of postings, there's not a single response from technical support. That indicates just how little they care about us.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 01:17 PM
I am getting this error too now. Have had the game since early start and just started getting this error today.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Hmm, I just got this too, and no amount of restarting seems to help. Never had the problem before.

edit: welp, works now!

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Me too.

DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online) is free t play fun and doesnt crash I think Ill go play that instead.

My subscription is up at the end of the month here, I cancelled my 6 month sub due to poor service, and a long list of other crap that has gone on here since day one and I think I ma basically done here.

I cant even get my one month moneys worth out of this piece of crap game.

This game will never outshine CoX. Such a shame too it had such potential, too bad the game is being managed so poorly.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 02:05 PM
i had this problem when i tried to log on, but on second attempt i got onto the server but then rubberband :(
but then i changed to my wireless connection which (54mbs) from my usb connection (12mbs) and im playing with no problems atm.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Hmm, I just got this too, and no amount of restarting seems to help. Never had the problem before.

edit: welp, works now!

Tried to fire it today and I'm stuck as well. What the hell??

[edit: After 10-15 cycles it eventually connected. Wee and Uhh...ok.]

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Tried to fire it today and I'm stuck as well. What the hell??

was on this morning, and now nadda.

they woudl do well to see that when people are scared when they patch.. there might be a reason for that.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Last night I got booted from the character creation section and couldn't get the program to run again - I knew it was up because I was on Vent with a couple of people who were playing. It got progressively worse and I couldn't even get on to internet sites that weren't in the same town as me...once I rebooted the modem I couldn't even get onto vent again. Assumed it was a problem with my provider (though friends on vent are with the same provider in another state). This morning I got unable to authenticate. Internet works fine though as you may be able to tell.

Sooo - one long meandering tale later, I used log in via the actual game launcher rather than the shortcut to it and now its taken me to the patch page and patched quickly....lets see what happens next

Edited 'cause I'm happy - loaded like greased lightning and I'm on - went straight to the intro zone with an already made PC to check I could get there :)

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Last night I got booted from the character creation section and couldn't get the program to run again - I knew it was up because I was on Vent with a couple of people who were playing. It got progressively worse and I couldn't even get on to internet sites that weren't in the same town as me...once I rebooted the modem I couldn't even get onto vent again. Assumed it was a problem with my provider (though friends on vent are with the same provider in another state). This morning I got unable to authenticate. Internet works fine though as you may be able to tell.

Sooo - one long meandering tale later, I used log in via the actual game launcher rather than the shortcut to it and now its taken me to the patch page and patched quickly....lets see what happens next

Last night they mentioned that anyone in the character creator was gonna get booted.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Same problem here.

I use ATT DSL, if that makes a difference.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 02:56 PM
I must have missed it - too busy finding just that perfect colour combination for my tail

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 03:51 PM
After the update, i'm getting this message too.

EDIT: Just as I said it, I was able to log in.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Started getting this today also.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Just started to get this today. Any info? Sounds liek first day after live when the updater was not working.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:07 PM
I just loged out and tryed to get in got same as well

Archived Post
I'm getting it too.. :/

Archived Post
I hope they get the auth server up soon because I am getting frustrated. I know it's a new MMO so I'm not going into Nerd Rage, lol, things happen. I am kind of bummed that soloing is extremely difficult. The title, Defeated Champions Online would have been more appropriate. Anyhow, I am not giving up just yet, but I'd say about another 100 deaths and I'm done. Just not solo friendly in my humble opinion. Then again, maybe I just suck! LMAO.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:08 PM
sadly i just got it my self. Was in game and was geting conection errors and now can get in at all.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Same problem here.

C'mon Cryptic, let's get a response here. It's obviously a reoccuring problem.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Since I downloaded the patch on Friday (9/11/09), I've been having the same problem intermittently. Before that, I'd never seen this problem before.

Shutting down and re-launching the .exe doesn't seem to help. All I can do is keep trying to log in until it authenticates.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Same problem here.

Me too

[Filler text]

Archived Post
I've been having this problem all day.

I've gotten in, but it takes a lot of restarts.

Archived Post

I get the exact same now. WFT? :mad:

Archived Post
to authenticate!:mad:

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Just crashed Now i get the same thing:confused:

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Since I downloaded the patch on Friday (9/11/09), I've been having the same problem intermittently. Before that, I'd never seen this problem before.

Shutting down and re-launching the .exe doesn't seem to help. All I can do is keep trying to log in until it authenticates.

same here :mad:

Archived Post
same deal, "Unable to Authenticate." Never had this issue before today

Archived Post
Same problem here.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Bang! same here.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:13 PM
same song.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Yeah same problem here. Everything worked perfectly fine for me prior to the latest patch. Haven't had time to play since then until now. Shibby deal. Just hope they are actually aware of the problem.

Oh well. Kill some time and some zombies, BOXHEAD ZOMBIES!!

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/363126

Archived Post
Getting the same problem today too, first time I've seen this on my end.

edit: And now it went through. These random failures...... maybe Cryptic and Twitter are the same company......

Archived Post
Well its currently 7:12 PM - EST. Cryptic is CLOSED, and i am yet another person with Unable to Authenticate at the bottom of my launcher. Guess ill have to wait till tomorrow to play Champions. I realize its a new game, but with all these problems cryptic should really have an overnight crew, or something to help us through these rough and terrible times. oh well, guess ill keep playing xbox :)

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:15 PM
My wife and I are both getting this now. We were playing earlier today, and now?

Nope.

Archived Post
Ditto.

You shouldn't have killed him. He was just a boy, mmm hmmm.

Archived Post
The same here to:mad:

Archived Post
It's 1:15 am here, I just came back home and wanted to try playing CO drunk (and full of greek musaka)... next time it seems :D

Archived Post
So, i think ill join the not so merry group. Getting the msg Unable to authenticate: :confused:
1st time for me. Help!:eek:

Archived Post
Hopefully the whole "Cryptic is closed" thing is a joke. It's a 24-hour persistent world, somebody had better be manning the ship.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:16 PM
I hope they get the auth server up soon because I am getting frustrated. I know it's a new MMO so I'm not going into Nerd Rage, lol, things happen. I am kind of bummed that soloing is extremely difficult. The title, Defeated Champions Online would have been more appropriate. Anyhow, I am not giving up just yet, but I'd say about another 100 deaths and I'm done. Just not solo friendly in my humble opinion. Then again, maybe I just suck! LMAO.

getting same problem here.

and i agree, soloing is extremely difficult in this game. i may need to make more friends so i can team up.

Archived Post
great you guys made it happen to me too. now i get to post in here

Archived Post
lol servers down again.

Why am I not surprised.. this seems like a weekly thing.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:17 PM
On my day off. After waiting all week just to play. Of course. How typical. :mad:

Archived Post
Not so soloable? It really depends on the framework you picked 'cuz it's cake with my electricity!

Archived Post
My bet is that too many are trying to log on at the same time. This is UK and US combined server afterall, and the popularity of this game is sky rocketing atm. At right now is prime time for everyone to play.

Saturday, afternoon in US, and young night in EU.

Archived Post
Same deal here. I've been getting crappy FPS and choppiness all the time, and now this.

Urgh. It's my own damn fault for trying to play an MMO in the first freaking month. Officially the first and last time I ever do this. I don't have the damn patience. I should be finally playing the damn game I bought almost 4 days ago.

Archived Post
I'm getting the "unable to authenticate" message as well now. Tech Support needs to DO something.

Archived Post
They might need to get into gear here. I've got two people locked out due to this error o.@ I got another thats so upset about this he's going to think about going back to WoW.

He's got a point too this is ...well..STUPID...o.o; Even SWG didn't have this issue and I sat there in the launcher program chatting with everyone else at launch...and launch week..and launch month.. >.>

They keep this up and the flying leap forward in the industry they are attempting to makell land them flat on their faces, just intime to have Posi kick them in the face :P

<sighs> well back to SOLOING again o.-

-C.A

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Same issue as well it was fine this morning.

Archived Post
Turned it on, logged in, starting mucking about. Decided to switch character, logged out, can't access account server. Closed window, try again, Unable to Authenticate.

Literally 2 minutes separation. What happened?

Archived Post
First time it's happened to me. I was playing not two hours ago. Already rebooted the PC, and tried launching the game directly (not through the launcher) still can't connect.

Archived Post
I was playing this morning after they patched the servers before I went to work. Now, I come home after work and find that I cannot authenticate.

I don't mind that there are issues, but a post that they at least are aware of the issue and trying to fix it would be really nice.

Archived Post
mm..seems to be working now :confused:

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Same issue as well it was fine this morning.

Same here. It was a tad slow to load to the character screen for a bit and now it's borked.

EDIT: working now..for how long I'm not sure.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Hopefully the whole "Cryptic is closed" thing is a joke. It's a 24-hour persistent world, somebody had better be manning the ship.

That would just be bad business. I can't imagine they all pack up and leave at the end of the day with no night support or devs/admins there to iron out arising issues. If so, my face for this post is :eek:

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm able to log in, and wouldn't you know it, there's a patch, my guess is they took it down on purpose so that they could apply the patch, then restarted the login so people would get it. just a guess though.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Same here. Unable to Authenticate. I've got my firewall turned off and still no dice. Full restart of the PC, no help. I'll try restarting my modem and router, but mainly just to go through the motions... no expectation it will work. I tried to log in earlier, maybe two hours ago, and the same thing happened then. I'm surprised there's no dev post about this issue by now.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:22 PM
EDIT: Ok, got off the phone with tech support and can now get past the launcher and past the authentication. Tip. Make sure to forward ports 7000-7599. This got me thru the autoupdater and past the login authentication issue. If you are having the same problem, give this a try.

This problem JUST popped up for me after going through beta (and taking a break after my box didn't arrive through the mail) and, up until this morning, live with no problems. This fixed it for me, on the first try.

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Well, there wasnt new patch or nothing. Mine just started working when i opened new beer....

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Same Issue, Cannot Authenticate

USA: Florida

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:29 PM

Same for me. Come on Cryptic, throw us a frakking bone here, will you? What is this? Are you aware of this problem? HOW do we solve it?

Archived Post
09-12-2009, 04:37 PM
You know you'd think there's someone with a beeper or..something that gets a signal when the server network starts making weird noises and acting silly? :P

That followed by a community lead :P

My people just got in now. After I dunno how many times and tries. I'm scared to even log out. Though...thats a good tactic isn't it? :P

-C.A.

Archived Post
09-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Once again, after an hour of trying to get past the launcher's auto-updater, I am now Unable to Authenticate.

Like last night.

And about 15 times this week at seemingly arbitrary moments.

Lovely.

Archived Post
09-13-2009, 12:58 PM
"No shards found: User Authentication Failed"

..a new one for me.

Archived Post
09-13-2009, 01:32 PM
yeah, wife and I just got that issue... server appears to be down.

Archived Post
09-13-2009, 01:34 PM
When a team invite failed two ways, I tried to relog...now I get unable to authenticate...
Sorry, whoever I offered to help. The servers won't let me !

Archived Post
09-13-2009, 01:35 PM
lol i also cant get back in now unable to conect to account server

Archived Post
09-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Just happened to me...
I've given this game to many chances, it's just to much.
Fix it or drop it cryptic.

P.S. Never happened until just 5 seconds ago.

Archived Post
09-13-2009, 01:36 PM
I am "Unable to Authenticate" as well, can't get past login screen.

Archived Post
09-13-2009, 01:38 PM
I just tried to log in as well when i was able to do so,but can't now...not good!:(

I just tried it again and was able to get in! Im at the character screen as i type this.

Archived Post
09-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Bad enough with the "Cryptic Errors" nearly every time I login, not to mention the BSoD's that STILL haven't been properly addressed...

NOW it's "Unable to Authenticate"...

This game just gets better and better! :mad:

I don't know WTH they've done with the patches since launch, but the client is about as stable as a Bi-polar Chinchilla with Parkinsons!! :mad:

UPDATE: Now able to log back in, so that's 1 out of 3 problems for now

Archived Post
09-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Game is giving me the same error. "unable to authenticate" this is after I logged in and my toons wouldn't load. So I closed out the screen and and tried to log in, won't let me. Over and Over. Thanks Cryptic. What I really hate is I've never been one of those whiney forum nazi's before, all the issues I keep having with this game are quickly turning me to the darkside.