PDA

View Full Version : New patch is awesome.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Thanks cryptic for the patch. Champions is a lot more exciting now that there is a chance that i can actually die. I am not a god, I am a super hero. Thx again.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Gods can die, it just takes them longer :D

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Thanks cryptic for the patch. Champions is a lot more exciting now that there is a chance that i can actually die. I am not a god, I am a super hero. Thx again.

QFT

And PvP now is better than WoW, EVE and UO put together.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 07:14 AM
QFT

And PvP now is better than WoW, EVE and UO put together.

Better than Woweveuo! Surely not!

Archived Post
Supportive bump just to upset doomngloom's!

DOooooooOOoOOoooOmmmmm

Archived Post

QFT. I think we need to be balancing these forums out with more positive feedback about the patch so the devs don't get the generalization that all the people hate it.

Luckily they are looking at hard data, and will hopefully see its not as bad as people think. I don't get how people assume they shouldn't die or they should be able to have an offensive focus and still be able to tank super villains. Give me a break.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Hard data = endemic of the problem

Designers and devs need to clue in on the fact that perception is the rule regardless of the data. Data might help someone chart a path, but it is rarely the answer. If they needed to move the ball so to speak, they should have done it more openly, with more warning and IMO phased it in. This patch while I personally don't consider it horrible was done in a horrible fashion. It doesn't bode well for future changes to the game.

At any rate, I am sure there are lots of people happy about it. Bunch of people probably didn't notice and a whole bunch of us at the higher levels disappointed or in some cases outright unhappy with the results of the patch.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 07:32 AM
This looks like my peeps.... and where I need to be

Rolls in a hand truck with Miller High life

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 07:57 AM

QFT. While I admit that it seems like Cryptic kinda throws nerfs and changes around like rice at an aviary (oops, wait . . . eh, I don't care), it does seem to have a beneficial effect. After playing in OB, I was genuinely concerned about a few things, but it looks like they're slowly fixing them.

Not sure what everyone's issue is with the patch. I'm still dropping mobs of 3 or 4 in less than 20 seconds. They may get me down to half health at best. Oh well.

Keep up the good work, Cryptic . . . but maybe you want to look at implementing a test server? Just a thought. =)

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Oh nos... it's slightly harder!

Good.

I mean it was fun being the king at the start there, and during some of CB and OB, but this is much better. Rather than mashing a couple of keys and hardly looking at the screen I have to pay attention, block and know when to run away from a fight. Most importantly there is now a reason to team up - previously it was pointless as I could solo anything.

I can only safely take one 3/4 henchmen? That's fine by me. I still feel like I'm kicking butt compared to any other MMO I've ever played. When I manage to take down more than that I actually feel like a hero.

Keep it this way. It's considerably more entertaining.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 08:09 AM
I agree, while it was kinda fun at first being an unstoppable Regeneration god where my regeneration was higher than the damage output of most everything, it got boring quick.

Now when I start a fight, I actually have to plan my attacks, watch my footing so as not to bring extras, and use the extra items you can make with crafting or find.

It's a lot more fun now, so thanks Cryptic, that nerf was badly needed.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 08:10 AM
/Agree

CO was Fun House easy before. Very limited play life at that difficulty.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Hard data = endemic of the problem

Designers and devs need to clue in on the fact that perception is the rule regardless of the data.

You can't design a game by vote, nor by gauging complaining on a forum.

Some people will complain no matter what you do.

In my experience perception is not the rule either, because most of the people shaking their fist and threatening things are full of crap and never do 95% of the things they claim they will do.

It is a like a Boy Who Cried Wolf convention.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 08:15 AM
I approve of this thread.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Gods can die, it just takes them longer :D

Just ask anyone who's played an epic level D&D game.

....what?

Oh, come on. We're all nerds here... We're playing a computer game on the internet based off of a PnP RPG based off superhero comic books. :p

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 08:25 AM
This is what kills me. People actually think the game should just be that easy.

I mean, come on... Did you all really think the game was going to go live with the difficulty level being so low? I thought it was very obvious that the purpose during beta was to quickly get players to higher levels to test the game for them. Seriously the game was, and is still in many respects, so mind numbingly easy that to be defeated you almost have to resort to unplugging your mouse and keyboard.

And seriously, what is the point of an MMO that is not constantly being developed and refined? If it is never balanced as time goes by then why even pay for a subscription? You might as well just have Super Mario Bros. as a online multi-player game and never update it again.

I swear my nose is going to start bleeding again from some of the "dee dee dee" I read on these forums. Report problems, give INTELLIGENT feedback, and opinions. It isn't hard, and neither is the game after the last patch.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 08:31 AM
At any rate, I am sure there are lots of people happy about it. Bunch of people probably didn't notice and a whole bunch of us at the higher levels disappointed or in some cases outright unhappy with the results of the patch.

OF COURSE people 'at high level' already are upset ... they were the ones abusing the system. Duh.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Agreed. Played last night and it was awesome, I had fun in PVP and in doing missions. I play a dual blade char and was able to do very well in both by choosing my powers/talents carefully and by using strategy.

The change has been to the benefit of the game that's for sure.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Hell I am bumping this! You need more people to post here.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 08:41 AM
I always find that funny when I hear people complain that they when they fight "3 or 4 henchmen" it's somewhat difficult and they end up winning albeit w/ 1/2 their hp or 1/4th of their hp (but always fail to mention that they regen it to full out of combat in about 5 seconds).

In other MMOs (which shall remain nameless) unless you are twinked w/ gear from your main, you can take ONE or MAYBE two mobs at once. Some classes may require you to sit down and regenerate hit points or your mana bar by eating and drinking.

You fight one or maybe two mobs and get wounded. You then fight one or two more, and if you're lucky another one or two more before having to sit down eat and drink. If you get ambushed, you can try to run but you may get snared and die.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot. There are some mobs that are stronger then your normal mob. W/o good gear, the fight is either barely winnable or impossible.

-VERSUS-

You fight 3 / 4 at once, get your HP down to 50% or *gasp* 25%. Then within about 5 seconds you are back at 100% and you repeat this process. But wait...uh oh, what if the are a lot of enemies in the area or you are getting ambushed? Oh, just dig a hole and hide underground, fly away, or even teleport several hunder feet away for safety. You could potentially not get away from several mobs attacking you at once and die (and respawn about 1,000 feet away which you can travel back to in mere seconds).

Edit: Oh yeah, and you can fight SUPER villains (close to equal, either +/- ) and well...win most of the time. Sometimes you cannot and need to strategize or find more but you can fair very well.

Seriously guys, how can you NOT feel heroic. Do you want to fight 30 henchmen at once while fighting 15 villains, 5 super villains, a master villain, and a cosmic villain all at once?!

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 08:46 AM
I always find that funny when I hear people complain that they when they fight "3 or 4 henchmen" it's somewhat difficult and they end up winning albeit w/ 1/2 their hp or 1/4th of their hp (but always fail to mention that they regen it to full out of combat in about 5 seconds).

In other MMOs (which shall remain nameless) unless you are twinked w/ gear from your main, you can take ONE or MAYBE two mobs at once. Some classes may require you to sit down and regenerate hit points or your mana bar by eating and drinking.

You fight one or maybe two mobs and get wounded. You then fight one or two more, and if you're lucky another one or two more before having to sit down eat and drink. If you get ambushed, you can try to run but you may get snared and die.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot. There are some mobs that are stronger then your normal mob. W/o good gear, the fight is either barely winnable or impossible.

-VERSUS-

You fight 3 / 4 at once, get your HP down to 50% or *gasp* 25%. Then within about 5 seconds you are back at 100% and you repeat this process. But wait...uh oh, what if the are a lot of enemies in the area or you are getting ambushed? Oh, just dig a hole and hide underground, fly away, or even teleport several hunder feet away for safety. You could potentially not get away from several mobs attacking you at once and die (and respawn about 1,000 feet away which you can travel back to in mere seconds).

Edit: Oh yeah, and you can fight SUPER villains (close to equal, either +/- ) and well...win most of the time. Sometimes you cannot and need to strategize or find more but you can fair very well.

Seriously guys, how can you NOT feel heroic. Do you want to fight 30 henchmen at once while fighting 15 villains, 5 super villains, a master villain, and a cosmic villain all at once?!
When you bloom what do you turn into?

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 08:48 AM
When you bloom what do you turn into?

lol, you know I never thought about it. Maybe bacon...or dark bacon.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 08:54 AM
fully in agreeance with this thread. It was way way too easy before. Just way too easy to roll up blast the mobs and roll on out. Now i have to plan my attacks and figure out which mob i want to take out first. Nice patch there devs, very nice patch.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 08:55 AM
lol, you know I never thought about it. Maybe bacon...or dark bacon.

Dark Bacon!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dibs on the name for my nemesis... I called it no give backsies!!!

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 08:56 AM
You know when you been around you can always smell a brown nose. You see them coming a mile away.

Sorry lol.. but sucking up changes nothing. I am glad for YOU.. or some the game is the way you want it. For alot of others its not. Some people just take what ever happens to them with a smile and just take it.. ok..

So you cant handle some waaaa or crys.. its ok.. dont worry about. Cryptic can.. they've been around and they WANT to here from YOU and everyone else.. ASK THEM! So DONT read the threads you just cant handle.. I know its just TYPED TEXT.. DONT.. take it personal..

The game still has tons of bugs.. Like where I could not even handle 3 my level yesterday. now today.. my 4th power wont even work 1/2 the time. So I die more today. Not happy.. things like this that happen to OTHERS not you = unhappy.

But you feel like a superhero again.. Gald your having fun. Some of us are still waiting

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 08:57 AM

Thy again for breaking SURGE FIELD. (It does not do anything ingame, consumes only Power).

So yes, thanks Bill Roper, for thiss great *UNTESTED* Patch.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 08:59 AM
I agree the fixes were much needed

Archived Post
A patch like this is happening when the beta testers are not doing what they are supposed to do.
end of the story and this is btw always the same problem and always the same reason for all games.
90% of the beta testers are scouting the game only.

Archived Post
Dark Bacon!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dibs on the name for my nemesis... I called it no give backsies!!!

DOH!

When bacon is tooo crispy and tooo difficult *ominous music* :P

Well, let's all get back to "brown nosing" because that's apparently what having more fun is called now. That sounds wrong :eek:

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 09:01 AM
QFT. I think we need to be balancing these forums out with more positive feedback about the patch so the devs don't get the generalization that all the people hate it.

Luckily they are looking at hard data, and will hopefully see its not as bad as people think. I don't get how people assume they shouldn't die or they should be able to have an offensive focus and still be able to tank super villains. Give me a break.

Yeah, cause Batman never beat the Joker, Wolverine never beat Sabertooth, Superman never beat Lex Luthor, shall i continue? Don't be a douche bag and post something like that. Go read a comic and find out that heroes actually do beat super-villians regularly.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 09:03 AM
I agree the fixes were much needed

I don't consider the change to SURGE FIELD a "fix". Now i pay power for nothing? that skill has no effect ingame anymore to PFF.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 09:05 AM
You know when you been around you can always smell a brown nose. You see them coming a mile away.

Sorry lol.. but sucking up changes nothing. I am glad for YOU.. or some the game is the way you want it. For alot of others its not. Some people just take what ever happens to them with a smile and just take it.. ok..

So you cant handle some waaaa or crys.. its ok.. dont worry about. Cryptic can.. they've been around and they WANT to here from YOU and everyone else.. ASK THEM! So DONT read the threads you just cant handle.. I know its just TYPED TEXT.. DONT.. take it personal..

The game still has tons of bugs.. Like where I could not even handle 3 my level yesterday. now today.. my 4th power wont even work 1/2 the time. So I die more today. Not happy.. things like this that happen to OTHERS not you = unhappy.

But you feel like a superhero again.. Gald your having fun. Some of us are still waiting

QQ

Maybe you should invest some time in planning your char, figuring out what the powers do and the effects of the various attributes like end/dex/ego etc. on those powers. I recreated my char 3 times since the patch each time leveling to around 14 before I settled on my last build.

My build now can take on multiple mobs without dying, and I can still managed missions 2 levels up with the right strategy and I play a dual blade char with acrobatics, the char type people claim is 'useless'.

As for the PVP end I had the entire opposing team firing at me, snaring me, trying to hold me, and they still couldn't kill me while I took them out one at a time because I chose the right combination of power sets and knew how to block, and when to attack.

Just because the system allows an almost infinite combination of powers/attributes doesn't mean ALL of them are going to be perfect. You need to choose the right combination of powers and attributes.

So instead of complaining, go and figure out how to make your char work. The nice thing about CO is it doesn't take long to level especially up to 20, and by then you get a good idea of what works.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 09:09 AM
I think there needs to be a happy medium here. Before it was waaay to easy. Now it's hard to stay up solo. For example, regen was overhealing on master villian fights before, now it's like being tickled by a tiny healing fairy and doesn't handle henchman output.

There needs to be a middle ground where henchies are target practice, villians + henchies make you work, and master villians etc are a challenge, (currently they are suicide).

I appreciate a challenge, but truly dislike a troublesome uphill struggle. The illusion of superhuman power just isn't there at the moment.

Louise Lane is in trouble...Superman to the rescue!!! Oh look, two non-descript lackeys...faster than a oooh ouch oof.
Release? Ok.
Don't worry Louise here I come...able to leap tall ooooooh aaargh oof ugh.
Release? Ok.
Lex Luther, I figured you'd be behind th...fuuunf doooort.
Release? Ok.
Lex...uuuunf.
Release? Ok.
Le.... yoink.
Release? Ok.
Logout? Yes.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 09:10 AM

-VERSUS-

Part of the fun is fighting multiple mobs. If we wanted to fight single mobs in games we would be playing those other MMOs instead of this one.

But we're not asking for 15 mobs at once. 3 or 4 should be sufficient, or 1 mob and the supervillain. However, the problem is this game was balanced originally on you being able to take 3-4 mobs at the same time and the spawn rate adjusted accordingly. So now instead of fighting 3-4, you are fighting more, and losing because they spawn faster than you can kill them.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Part of the fun is fighting multiple mobs. If we wanted to fight single mobs in games we would be playing those other MMOs instead of this one.

But we're not asking for 15 mobs at once. 3 or 4 should be sufficient, or 1 mob and the supervillain. However, the problem is this game was balanced originally on you being able to take 3-4 mobs at the same time and the spawn rate adjusted accordingly. So now instead of fighting 3-4, you are fighting more, and losing because they spawn faster than you can kill them.

That sounds like a valid complaint and I respectfully think the devs should look into this. It happens in some places but not others..namely the graveyard in Burnside. You attack 3 henchmen and next thing you know 3 dogs, one of those red ghosts, and a couple of the green ghosts with the bull heads attack and BAM, you're dead.

That being said, I noticed when duoing with my friend occasionally it seemed additional mobs (about 2) were spawning to attack us. I LOVED this, made teaming awesome.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Yeah, cause Batman never beat the Joker, Wolverine never beat Sabertooth, Superman never beat Lex Luthor, shall i continue? Don't be a douche bag and post something like that. Go read a comic and find out that heroes actually do beat super-villians regularly.

Actually I think in current Continuity, Wolverine had chopped off Sabretooth's head with the Murasama blade or whatever. He might even still be dead, but that's not going to last, as it never does in Comics.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 09:27 AM
OF COURSE people 'at high level' already are upset ... they were the ones abusing the system. Duh.Abuse... interesting choice of words. For those who don't mind the change and have only played 1/4 of the game to level 20, do you really think those people have any significant perspective on a change that rotated around percentages across the entire spectrum of the game? When you get to the Ulitmate Mind quest, let me know what you think of the changes where a single mob will have five times the hitpoints you do and monkey stomp you in a few seconds because they went up by a percentage and not an incremental amount. If a critter has 400 HP and goes to 500HP and does an extra 25 points damage you probably didn't think it was a big deal. If the mob went from 8000HP to10000HP and do an extra 500 points you might have a different perspective. Then decrease the effectiveness of passive defensives and modify a players damage output. Suddenly the addition of 25% difficulty with 25% subtraction in effectiveness is a 50% shift in some scenarios. It can certainly take the wind out of a players sails. I am not saying many of the changes weren't justified, but they certainly could have been handled better.

You can't design a game by vote, nor by gauging complaining on a forum.

Some people will complain no matter what you do.As a software designer and developer I am accutely aware of how precious a reputation is. With some users, you can never get it right this is true. However these sort of changes can doom a game by driving off the most loyal of fans. Guys like Ken Karl and Roper have shown they follow their vision of a game despite player perception to a poor end I would argue. In this instance they didn't even look at their past history. Slider difficulty bars such as the ones implemented in another Cryptic game would have been a much better "fix" to the issue. Rather than nerf characters so a few can enjoy the game more how about create a feature that allows everyone to continue enjoying the game the way they want to play it. I know that wasn't there original concept but often design is about the reality of the data meeting the perception of the users. Forcing a user to do something they don't want to do is a surefire way to loose them.

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 11:32 AM
come on guys! keep this one going!

Archived Post
09-02-2009, 12:03 PM
I admit, I was dissappointed with the changes but im working through them with more thought. I now have to judge when to run and when to stay.. ranks and advantages actually make a WORLD of difference now and one should choose carefully. Though I was thinking DEX/EGO for the damage but went DEX/CON.. the damage is lower but I cant pass up the HP given the damage I NOW take. and really..how much damage does a defeated hero do? ;o)

I honestly think Henchmen are harder then the villains, master villains and super villains. Ive started leaving the villains alone and taking care of their cronies first. Those *******s hit hard and hit fast!