PDA

View Full Version : 1st Impressions of PvP

Archived Post
08-30-2009, 02:10 PM
After spending several hours playing pvp with my melee might character i've come to the conclusion there is a huge imbalance between melee and range, seems most of my knockbacks/roots/stuns etc.. have a very small radius range, so moving range players are almost impossible to snag, yet range can root/hold/stun, etc... from any distance they want.

I've also noticed that healing is way out of whack, players heal faster then you can damage them. Either healing needs to be nerfed some or there needs to be longer cool down timers on heals. Some games last forever because everyone just keeps healing themselves.

Holds are also Over powered IMO, people will just spam it on you and your stuck until they kill you, there needs to be a hold debuff after you break one for at least 30 secs so people can't spam it.

Archived Post
08-30-2009, 02:45 PM
This is all brand new information, thank you.

As a side note, as a melee character I constantly win BASH. I would argue that most melee players just don't optimize their builds or have terribad timing.

Archived Post
08-30-2009, 04:24 PM
After spending several hours playing pvp with my melee might character i've come to the conclusion there is a huge imbalance between melee and range, seems most of my knockbacks/roots/stuns etc.. have a very small radius range, so moving range players are almost impossible to snag, yet range can root/hold/stun, etc... from any distance they want.

I've also noticed that healing is way out of whack, players heal faster then you can damage them. Either healing needs to be nerfed some or there needs to be longer cool down timers on heals. Some games last forever because everyone just keeps healing themselves.

Holds are also Over powered IMO, people will just spam it on you and your stuck until they kill you, there needs to be a hold debuff after you break one for at least 30 secs so people can't spam it.

Im kinda lost..
Didnt we have a thread like this already?!

The best advice i can give you is to look around on the forums, thier is a way for Melee to compete with range, but it will take a little tweaking of your build(i.e. grabbing a hold,root,knockback, etc.)

Archived Post
08-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Melee is indeed in need of some buffing. Not too much though. Specifically on their ability to get to other players and melee effectively. My Might guy has almost all his settings set to the max and he gets out of range in what seems to be his reach which really sucks. :p

Archived Post
08-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Pvp in general is a joke. I tried it twice with diff powersets and ya....

It reminded me of Jk2: Jedi Outcast way back in the day. Where all people would do was run around swinging their saber and spamming 1 or 2 force powers mindlessly. I honestly can't believe it's considered something to be concerned of in this game. The fact that balancing occurs with various powersets with pvp in mind just astounds me. It's like figuring out which karts need to be buffed/nerfed in mario kart. All you do is move around like a ****** and shoot out a cpl shells anyway. Actually come to think of it, that game had more tactics than this lol.

Archived Post
08-30-2009, 06:34 PM
As a former ranged dps guy in beta, I can agree with you. Melee characters never gave me so much as a scare. Except a toon with spamming knockback ability... that was annoying. I was, however, happy for the melee guys out there to have at least the potential to be annoyed by them.

I had problems with defensive builds though. I though initially that was because I was doing mainly piercing damage and that another build would counter mage tanks. I was also under the assuption that, although melee would die against me they would be effective against other builds... like crowd control guys or mage tanks or whatever.

Between flyers, teleporters, cc, defensive specks, I think melee is the type of build that seem to be the hardest to enjoy. Perhaps I should test a melee build to see.

And yes, PVP definitely seem to be added in an afterthought in this game lol.

Archived Post
08-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Not an afterthought so much as a secondary portion to the game. PvE is what will take up most of the playerbases time. But PvP was intended it's just not the main focus of the game. Which is why hardcore PvPers will probably never satisfied.

As far as melee being disadvantaged I agree that this point is true. Trade off with melee's range should be with dmg. Problem is what happens when a ranged character with Mez takes a melee attack. Do they get the dmg boost? If so then this won't really change much in regards to the melee disparity in PvP.

There was an attack that hit very hard in beta, Chainsaw Gauntlet. If you got mezzed or KB'd into one of those it was a bad day for you. I believe the dmg on it has been reduced though since then.

Perhaps make it so people who have a primarily melee based build gets a dmg bonus to melee attacks. How they implement this, making it an advantage or something, is totally up to them. I don't have enough knowledge to determine a viable way to balance this out.