PDA

View Full Version : If You Just Get "Trying to update the launcher." Post Here

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Archived Post
10-07-2009, 10:54 AM
+1 beginning today...

Archived Post
10-07-2009, 11:01 AM
I too now have this problem. First time today.

Archived Post
10-07-2009, 11:03 AM
I have it too,
I could just play normally this afternoon <.>
Well I hope it gets fixed quick.

Archived Post
10-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Me too, now. Just started after I had my first gfx crash.

Archived Post
10-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Doing some debugging on my own connection... updater tries to connect to an IP address about once a second until it times out... 99.99999% of the times the server resets the connection immediatly (connection refused).

in the 0.00001% of times it works the launcher starts. THEN it's the same thing all over again with the next IP address in line...

My guess: this is an overloaded patch server refusing connections OR having massive troubles.

Let's hope it gets better today, maybe it's my bad luck to have bought the game on patch day...

Archived Post
10-07-2009, 11:06 AM
i got this after i disconected:(

Archived Post
10-07-2009, 11:07 AM
This just started for me today. Possible has to do with new update?

Archived Post
10-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Lost, you're right probably, it was a bad bug and I guess they're desperately trying to fix it.

Archived Post
10-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Ah, mine has now worked. I've logged on and am patching. It now has a Blood Moon backdrop on the launcher.

Archived Post
10-07-2009, 11:12 AM
yup it works hahahaahaaaaaaaa finally i can try this game :) OMFG

Archived Post
10-07-2009, 11:15 AM
mine just connected and started downloading, finally...

Archived Post
10-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Heh, after the trouble of getting the launcher to load, I'm now stuck downloading the patch on 97.1% (180.4MB of 186MB) It's been like this for about 5 minutes now.

edit: I cancelled, started again and it finished within seconds. I think this is non-too-stable tonight.

Archived Post
10-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Still trying, same thing, I'm done for now.

Archived Post
10-07-2009, 01:30 PM
same thing happening here, tried countless times with no change. Nice first day at champions online :mad:

Archived Post
10-08-2009, 01:12 AM
I've just installed the game and cannot play it, I can't exactly return the game?

How long am I to stay patient for when I don't even get a welcome screen? I've turned my Firewall off and still no lcuk, this sucks!

Archived Post
10-08-2009, 03:28 AM
God damn it! I'm still waiting for this stupid launcher update, what kind of company ships a game with launcher problems. I'm ****ed off and still waiting for a fix!

Archived Post
10-08-2009, 03:36 AM
your not the only one. i'm getting really s***ed off with it

Archived Post
10-08-2009, 04:55 AM
Yeah, I've got the "Oops!" Cryptic launcher error thing, too. *sigh* What the hell is going on? We just wanna play!

Archived Post
10-08-2009, 05:09 AM
Still PO'ed. I got past the launcher and into the patch but stuck at 30% for the past couple hours now. The patcher says :

Transferring 420kb / 30%
Modified 6656kb / 21mb (<--- [I]is something wrong with this ??)

The transferring data numbers do go up though but the 30% never changes. And yes, I rechecked my firewall and turned it off and disabled the antivirus just to double check but still the same.

Reminds me of the "Good" old days of the EQ1 patches :p

Archived Post
10-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Mine is going anywhere - it just sits there for fifteen minutes "Trying to update the launcher" and then gives me the time-out message. I just bought this game and I can't play it - nice going Cryptic! :rolleyes:

Archived Post
10-13-2009, 11:32 AM
I've had this problem consistantly since release and Cryptic hasn't been able to do a thing about it. I get lucky and connect sometimes but really should I have to cross my fingers to hope to play a game I pay a monthly fee for?! Come on, Cryptic... this isn't getting silly. It's well past that... it's friggin' laughable! I'd be laughing if I wasn't so mad about not being able to play the game. Get it the <expletive omitted> together!

Archived Post
10-13-2009, 12:23 PM
just adding my name to the list..

Archived Post
10-13-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm getting that message for a long time then getting an unable to authenticate error.

Same problem here :mad:

URL="http://champions-online.com/which_champion_are_you"]http://champions-online.com//themes/fightclub/img/which_champion_are_you/grond.jpg[/URL]
A child of radiation and science gone awry, you are a mutated monster of pure, unstoppable rage. All you really want is to be left alone, and if anyone gets in your way, they get smacked into next week.
Take the quiz! (http://champions-online.com/which_champion_are_you)
i

Archived Post
10-13-2009, 04:39 PM
I get stuck at "crptic launcher autoupdater" then it times out saying "connection ide for too long". I actually got through to the login screen then the actual patch screen last night after 7 biillion attempts, then got stuck there trying to connect, then timed out on me, and havent been able to get passed"cryptic launcher autoupdater since. All firewalls, antivirus, routers are off and contacted my ISP to make sure ports 7000-7599 were open, even tried hotspot shield for the VPN deal, hoping that would help, nothing works.never had this trouble with ANY other online game,(wow, AoC, LotRO, ROM,GW, etc....)NEED HELP!!! Im running out of my 30 frre days!!!!!!

Archived Post
10-25-2009, 10:24 PM
So i've run the game with no problems for awhile now, but now I'm getting this issue . . what could possibly be the reason?? I hope this is a server issue . ..

Archived Post
10-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Been having this issue since early last week, The week before I was getting crash at atari screen, the week before that it was all smooth sailing with settings on high. Tickets in no solution yet.
Glad I'm not alone.

Archived Post
10-27-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm stuck at the same mini-screen too: trying to update launcher"

Please help. :(

Archived Post
10-31-2009, 12:19 PM
I've got this problem too. It seems to be a recurring one - I fixed it earlier in the week by copying the updated "Champions Online.exe" from a friends computer, but then three days later it's back to trying to update the launcher, and giving me this error :(

If they could put a link to the updated launcher on the web site, then a least we'd have a workaround.

Steve

Archived Post
10-31-2009, 01:01 PM
it is comforting at some lvl that im not the only one with this prob, not comforting to know that it is a long running prob...i have had it b4(several times) but it just fixed by itself after several hours...not happening this time though!...it would be nice to know what is happening, the launcher is steadily downloading and i dont know if its going to eventually work or is it just wasting my bandwidth? should i just give up and try in a few days? a week maybe? i would like to play co, but if i cant there are better things i could be doing than watching "trying to update launcher. please be patient" like play one of the many other games out there that i CAN log onto!

Archived Post
10-31-2009, 03:17 PM
oh come on guys...you shut the server down? what for, has anyone actually had any improvements cause im just sitting at the launcher still....over 10 hours later, y is it it was working after the patch but after the hour long maintenance it wont even begin to work? been maintained real good hey!

Archived Post
11-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Still no fix? <sigh> :(

Archived Post
12-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Come on now, I wanna play:(

Archived Post
12-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Just bought the game frankly its a dissapointment, please sort it out.

Archived Post
12-27-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm getting it too, hope Star Trek Online isn't gonna be like this...

Archived Post
12-31-2009, 10:31 AM
Gah, same problem. This has been going on since AUGUST?

As someone mentioned above ... Star Trek Online is out soon and if this is what we can expect then ILL PASS!

Archived Post
12-31-2009, 10:50 AM
Got this on and off while playing the demo. Thought it might have been due to it being a demo, but sounds like it's pretty wide spread on "real" versions too. Will edit this post if it happens after I go live. (Steam seems to want to DL the game, even though I would think I'd have it already. Ah well......:p)

Archived Post
12-31-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm putting my name down, too. I can't get past "Trying to update launcher." It has been about 30 minutes so far.

Archived Post
12-31-2009, 04:39 PM
Just started with me too! I have never had this problem before so its really random and out of the blue for me. When everyone else was having various problems i thought " oh, it's just some freak problem that wont ever happen to me." Now after 5 months of the game runnin perfectly im having a problem i hope this is a one time thing or i will cancel my subscription.

Archived Post
12-31-2009, 05:16 PM
I also get this error. Fortunately though, it doesn't last very long, maybe 15 seconds tops.

Archived Post
01-06-2010, 10:00 AM
yeah, now i'm getting this error now. i payed for a lifetime subscription to a game that i can't play. this problem need to be fixed NOW!! or i'm going to want some sort of compensation. it is unacceptable that they havn't fixed a problem they've known about for over 5 MONTHS!!

Archived Post
01-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I get this too, very annoying, never got it before, now it won't stop.

Archived Post
01-06-2010, 10:04 AM
I get this quite often, I also get 'Server Not Responding', a hell of a lot.

Edit : Seems to be back on now.

Archived Post
01-06-2010, 10:05 AM
I can't get past the "update launcher" either. I was just playing about 2 hours ago too.

Archived Post
01-06-2010, 10:32 AM
So this isn't a server problem? Would be good if Cryptic gave us some sort of information of what's going on... (I'm also unable to get past the "Trying to update the launcher. Please be patient." but I don't have infinite patience..)

Hmm, I got it to work now.. Did two things.. Might have been either one of them or neither and the problem was fixed by Cryptic. If it wasn't and you're still having problems you might as well give this a try:

* Set "Champions Online.exe" to run as Admin (Right click -> Properties -> Compatiblity -> Run as Administrator)

* Start Internet Explorer, I never use IE so it registered as the first time I used the program and I had to go through the small configuration guide. Check Internet Options -> Security and make sure "Enable Protected Mode" is UNTICKED for "Internet".

This is simply what I did, and then it worked. It doesn't mean it will work for you, it might just have been a coincidence it worked.

Archived Post
01-06-2010, 10:37 AM
I have the same problem, does anybody know how to solve it yet?

Archived Post
01-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Totally stuck on this problem.

Archived Post
01-06-2010, 02:05 PM
I had this problem today for ages, just this being stuck on "updating launcher please be patient", then I tried the "fix" on this thread:

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=54340

and now it works again. I have no idea whether it's a coincidence or not, but it seems to be working ok now - it only says "updating launcher" for a few secs now, and not every time, like it used to before today.

Archived Post
01-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Getting the problem also just started happening today going to try powerhouse fix.

Archived Post
01-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Same here, odd thing is I played today. More so I launched game from desktop and it successfully worked like 5-6 hours ago. Not sure when it started to happen, all I know since 8 PM roughly when I got back home and started the game, I got stuck on that little window. Been like that ever since.

Archived Post
01-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Might have been either one of them or neither and the problem was fixed by Cryptic. If it wasn't and you're still having problems you might as well give this a try:

* Set "Champions Online.exe" to run as Admin (Right click -> Properties -> Compatiblity -> Run as Administrator)

This worked for me. Windows Vista has always been kind of finicky about this with certain games. Cryptic may have changed it so that this is required. Kudos to you, Nelien!

Archived Post
01-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Seems to have worked Iím in game now also set it to run as admin and let it sit for a while.

The funny thing was i already had c++ thing installed. Told it to do a repair so I can't be certain thatís what fixed it

Archived Post
01-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Adding my name to the list -- I can't get past the "updating launcher" screen.

Archived Post
01-06-2010, 04:56 PM
I am stuck as well .... time to do something else I presume

Archived Post
01-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Stuck here too. I'm running Windows XP, so it's not a Vista admin thing. (My account is THE account, as I'm the only one who uses this computer.) The thing even worked earlier. I just logged for dinner, and tried to get back in, and . . . stuck at autoupdating the launcher. <sighs>

Update: Also tried launching the game client directly, but that times out when trying to connect to the account server. So the patch and account servers definitely seem to be unreachable, far as I can tell.

Archived Post
01-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Yeah I was playing earlier and logged to eat came back and now I'm stuck with the trying to update launcher.

Archived Post
01-06-2010, 05:24 PM
I managed to get on! After closing and re-opening the "updating launcher" window a number of times, finally the launcher simply popped up and worked normally. I guess persistence pays off?

Archived Post
01-06-2010, 10:12 PM
For the first time, since I've been playing Champions Online, my launcher won't work. I've been gaming on CO since the summer with no problems. Now, when I try to start up the game... my launcher gives me an error that states:

"A file was locked that could not be opened for writing"

I find this rather annoying! lol

Archived Post
01-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Disconnected and got slapped in the face with this pretty hard. You know, cryptic, this problem has been rampant since release. Think it's about time to, I dunno, do something about it? I'm usually a voice of reason but this is becoming pretty unreasonable.

Archived Post
01-07-2010, 05:44 PM
I've been playing fine for awhile. Tonight I got the autoupdate. The website says the servers are up. I restarted the computer. Reinstalling means reinstalling all the patches, and I'd rather not try that.

Archived Post
01-08-2010, 04:13 AM
Adding my name to the list too, kinda. had this auto update issue all throughout yesterday and most of the day before too, came on this morning and it works like there hasn't been a problem. Still. I doubt that means cryptic have done anything, i've lost faith in their technical help abilities completly now as this isn't the first time this has happened.

Archived Post
01-08-2010, 07:14 AM
had this problem reinstalled now i get to the patcher but it does not patch. Second day running for me

Archived Post
01-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Yup, I get the error message "A file was locked that could not be open for writing." Haven't been able to login all day.

Archived Post
01-08-2010, 11:53 AM
i got the "file was locked that could not be open for writing" thing too so i went into my CO live folder and ran the game client and after i add my username and password it hangs on "connecting to account server" till it times out

Archived Post
01-09-2010, 06:01 AM
I have just brought CO and tried to launch it but am now getting the error 'Trying to update the launcher' - i wish i noticed there was an 107 page forum post about this issue so i could have saved myself 20 quid!!!

Is there still no fix??

Archived Post
01-09-2010, 08:43 AM
got this problem today yet again. You'd think they'd have connecting to the server sorted out by now.

Archived Post
01-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Just started getting this error about a week ago. Never had this issue before then. I will close the launcher and reopen it and I will get to the login screen but it will take anywhere from 5-15 minutes to actual go through the patch process and allow me to hit the play button.

Wow 100+ pages thats insane!

Archived Post
01-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Nice job on ignoring people, cryptic

Archived Post
01-09-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm getting this too, and I just subscribed a week ago. It's very annoying and time consuming.

Archived Post
01-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Same here. BUT... one of the drawbacks to online gaming, we dont always have the time to play... with work, family, everyday responsibilities... and when I or we do have the time to play it is frustrating to get these kind of messages all the time... I may only have a half hour to play or God and children willing.. an hour... but when the game will not load, or takes forever, I ask myself... $$$$ a month.. is it worth it.........

Archived Post
01-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Have had this problem sometimes before, but usually enough to restart client. Was in earler today without problem. Now it is impossible to login. Totally impossible and I have tried numerous times.

Archived Post
01-09-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm getting this message too. Must be a server issue.

Archived Post
01-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Trying to update LAuncher

Please be patient

Tried connecting 8 times is curent message.. I guess Code Rangers on Holiday .. or Vegus...
then it boots u back to log in box and lets you in ..

--------------------------------------

what some one doing college papers on how much grief we take before puttign a ticket in?

Archived Post
01-09-2010, 11:14 AM
ya, im having this issue right now. just tried to connect 5 times, no luck.

server problem?

Archived Post
01-09-2010, 11:36 AM
I have had this issue all day - i only brought the game this morning and havent managed to get in - is this a regular problem? Should i give up now before i even get started?

Archived Post
01-20-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm getting the same issue as well... The Star Trek Online patcher connects just fine, but not the Champions Online one.

Archived Post
01-21-2010, 06:58 AM
This morning i have to try play with the game but I cannot.

trying to update the launcher
please be patient
tried connecting 1 time

.............. waiting............

a file was locked that could not be open for writing

WHat happennnnnnn ???????? HELP MEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Archived Post
01-21-2010, 03:48 PM
yea im getting the same error message as well

Archived Post
01-22-2010, 10:32 AM
*sighs* me too. AGAIN.

Archived Post
01-24-2010, 02:53 AM
same here :(

Archived Post
01-24-2010, 05:52 AM
Same here. STO is fine, CO is not.. Go figure.

Archived Post
01-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Neither STO or CO will patch. Its worse for us europeans.

Archived Post
01-24-2010, 06:55 PM
I have never played champions but am having the same exact problem with STO trying to update please wait............ I kind of glad to here im not the only one but this stinks i havent even loged in once. Also theres way more people on champions complaining about this then STO it looks like based on feed back of this thread

Archived Post
01-26-2010, 05:50 AM
Well, I've been patient. Ok maybe a server side issue, no biggie, I'll retry tomorrow. And the day after. OK maybe heavy traffic causing it to timeout. Tried at different hours of the day. Gave it a couple of days of "Trying to update the launcher" and I still cant get in after several days of trying all the fixes I've found on this post.

Would be nice if Cryptic acknowledged the problem and are working to fix it or give us a workaround like some place where we could simply download a new version of the launcher because it is a major show stopper.

Cryptic: I'm only too well aware that no online game is immune to technical glitches, but give us a hand here. I've been patient, and not getting worked up about this but help us, please!

Archived Post
01-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Getting nothing but this and have check my ports are open - am running as admin, have rebooted PC and router

From what I can see this problem has been around since Beta which was months ago.

This is why WoW has 11 millions subs, you just dont get this stuff.... People buy the game in the store and take it home expecting to play, not to have to mess about with the router services, or search the forums to see why all they have for their money is a little white box.

Update: have finally got in after "being patient" for about an hour. I guess at the end of the day the real problem is that the little white box isnt too helpful. If the server is busy or down there needs to be more feedback to the user that the code is a least trying to phone home. If the server is overwhelmed due to a patch then there needs to be a suitable message on the front page of this site.

Archived Post
01-31-2010, 06:08 PM
As of now, I cant get the launcher to get past the "trying to update launcher..." for a week and a half, trying at different times of the day, even after disablingl antivirus and windows firewalls. Reinstalled the game on another PC as a last resort and didn't work either.

Now subscription has run out which I won't be renewing. No bitter parting shots from me, because I really enjoy(ed) this game. I may have to seriously reconsider my intent to buy STO though.

Archived Post
02-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Trying to update the launcher. Please be patient... growing impatient as I've just bought the game and want to play but cannot!

Archived Post
02-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I got a problem that I can randomly play Champions online. Sometime it takes me over 20 times to go in the game and sometimes it's after 3 tries. Totally random. Most of the times though it crashes after I press the play button.

I am running the game on a 64 bit Vista pc

Archived Post
02-03-2010, 03:04 PM
stuck at this for both CO and STO.. Cryptic, get yourselves together i'm really getting sick of this? Why not just have servers generic to any other mmo? Your game play is unique and it works brilliantly! Your server systems are unique and it fails.. epicly.

Archived Post
02-05-2010, 12:23 PM
New PC- new install - same problem - 1 hour looking at the little white box

I hope Cryptic's investors don't read this forum cos that little white box represents their investment pouring down the drain. The game is quite good but if Joe Public gets bored because most people aren't going to be that "patient" then they will take the box back to the shop.

Update - copied the launcher file from my old PC and everything is OK

So basically the white box is waiting for the server to chuck about 4 MB of stuff back to update the launcher so the patching process can begin, i.e. a few seconds of data prioritised over the people patching will at least get the customers who have just installed looking at the "Patching" bar. Cryptic get your act together and sort this because you are losing revenue over this.

Archived Post
02-05-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm getting this problem as well, for the past 4 days I have been unable to get into CO or STO
Please cryptic sort this out!

[edit] Just wondering what ISP you are all on

Archived Post
02-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Yup I'm getting this as well on a fresh XP build

Archived Post
02-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Im getting a similar ish issue. The launcher gets stuck on the white screen saying. "loading please wait"
p.s. surely you should fix all issues no matter how large the issue is!

Archived Post
02-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Same stuff is happening to me since I bought the game three days ago as is happening to everyone else on this thread. I've invested countless hours trying to get this thing to work, and I get nothing in return.

I honestly just want my subscription canceled, my $15 dollars back from the subscription and my $40 back from this worthless company.

Seeing as how there are over 100 pages of posts, I do believe we have the makings of a Class Action Lawsuit. Maybe that would at least wake Cryptic up to get some competent people working this issue? Having these problems for a couple days or even a couple weeks after launch is understandable, but not this many MONTHS!

Seeing as how there are at least 10 posts per page, and over 100 pages, that makes for over 1000 angry customers who would like the game to work, but given the time that has passed, most would probably just be happy with getting their money back. So if 1000 people got back the $55 they put into the game, not to mention another $500 settlement per person, that would be $555 per person Cryptic would be sued for. I'm pretty sure $555,000+ as well as countless other lost customers, as well as word of mouth about their horrible business, and Cryptic would likely go under. I doubt they want that.

I believe I will start a thread for people interested in a Class Action Lawsuit, that way I can gauge interest and get some backing.

Archived Post
02-10-2010, 02:04 PM
I've found a workaround for the launcher update problem. I found it over on the Star Trek Online forums (Another game by cryptic)

Open the properties of the shortcut, and on the command line where it has "<gamepath>/launcer.exe" (something like that) after the last " put a space and then type -dontautoupdate

Problem fixed, I've been constantly loading the Champions & STO launcher without any problems

Because I started having that problem with Champions a week after it came out, and was starting to have it with STO.

Archived Post
02-11-2010, 12:07 PM
I've been getting this problem as well. But, I didn't find where to change the coding as stated in the last post.

Archived Post
02-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks Felina, will go home and test it out, give it one last chance before i give up on it.

To try that workaround what you do is locate the "Champions Online" shortcut on your desktop, select it, then mouse right click. When the menu pops up, go all the way down and select "Properties". You should see what program the shortcut is trying to call in the field named Target which should have a value of be something like:

"C:\program files\cryptic\launcher.exe" (sorry not at home, cant check the exact path).

You then change the value here to add -dontupdate at the end of it, for example::

"C:\program files\cryptic\launcher.exe -dontupdate"

I assume this skips the part of the launcher logic that is trying to update itself (and failing 9 times out of 10 at it)

This is really sad.

Worse than a game you don't want to play is a game you actually want to play but cannot. Not even giving the game a chance to succeed when it offers much of interest...

Archived Post
02-19-2010, 06:45 AM
getting the same problem, and the worst part of it is that i managed to download and play the game on my notebook (but the notebook sucks hard, it doesn't even rolls diablo2 without lag). i tried transfering the game folder to this computer, and for 1 sec, it worked. until logging on the game. it just times out..

Archived Post
02-19-2010, 08:14 AM
EDIT:

Doesn't matter it's working now :rolleyes:

Archived Post
02-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Despite trying the -dontautoupdate it still tries to update. I still havent gotten to even get to the sign in screen once. It always does this everytime, and I've been trying for about 4 hours now. Any suggestions?

Archived Post
02-19-2010, 07:28 PM
i of course am having the same issue... i think its safe to inform people that this WILL indeed happen to them if they choose to buy the game. thats if you feel ok to recommend such a faulty game in the first place.

This isnt my first problem with CO. i had one of those "billing errors" when i first bought the game. then when it finally worked after about a week and a half, i couldnt get past the tutorial even though i had a retail version of the game. then when that problem was resolved i get this... ive been playing for 2 weeks just fine save for an occasional in game bug. now its been 4 days and i still cant get the launcher to open.

ive tried reinstalling, running as administrator, changing security internet options, disabling firewall, downloading visual c++, opening and reopening shortcut, none of it worked.

Archived Post
02-20-2010, 04:48 AM
Seeing as how there are at least 10 posts per page, and over 100 pages, that makes for over 1000 angry customers who would like the game to work, but given the time that has passed, most would probably just be happy with getting their money back. So if 1000 people got back the $55 they put into the game, not to mention another $500 settlement per person, that would be $555 per person Cryptic would be sued for. I'm pretty sure $555,000+ as well as countless other lost customers, as well as word of mouth about their horrible business, and Cryptic would likely go under. I doubt they want that.

I believe I will start a thread for people interested in a Class Action Lawsuit, that way I can gauge interest and get some backing.

sounds like a good idea. cryptic is obviously full of a bunch of crooks. even if its not a problem they intentionally created, it is a problem they are neglecting to fix. and considering this issue has been around for months, it appears that they have no intention or drive to fix it any time soon. i think they should realize the severity of a huge problem like this when they charge people a monthly fee to play it. when you play with peoples money, thats when its serious. i want a refund!

Archived Post
02-20-2010, 11:54 AM
I've never had this problem until today, it's tried connecting 6 times now but just sits there. I just updated my video driver last night, maybe that screwed it all up..

Archived Post
02-22-2010, 07:52 AM
this sucks! i just got the game yesterday from gamestop and now its sayin update launcher crap and then goes to some idle error! this isn't fair!

Archived Post
02-23-2010, 05:20 PM
I started another thread about not being able to login, this is my screen, this is what I've been looking at since I bought this game and downloaded it yesterday

Archived Post
02-25-2010, 02:08 PM
I started another thread about not being able to login, this is my screen, this is what I've been looking at since I bought this game and downloaded it yesterday

this is the wrong thread for u as of right now. this is for people who dont even have a launcher coming up. and i say "as of right now" because im sure you'll eventually have this same problem. sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

its been 2 weeks now for me... i know thats not nearly as long as some, but ive givn up. ive tried about 8 different methods that were "working" for others in this post with no success on my account. im not paying any more money to cryptic and im still interested in getting a refund, im just not the one whos willing to put forth the effort of filing an offence against them.

sadly, i think thats why this has been going on for this long...

Archived Post
02-26-2010, 09:55 AM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/114641/ChampionsOnlineTest5.zip
download that, login and should either update or play if u already updated not sure if it will play or update if u already have the patches, i dont have any patches so it is downloading them for me now, hope this helps

Archived Post
02-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Fixed it
You are a Gem, thanks

Archived Post
02-26-2010, 02:05 PM
That worked for me too thanks

Archived Post
02-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Just bought the game of steam today, and even after playing the demo flawlessly I started to get this message. Tried using the above file, let me log into game but now im getting server not responding when it starts to load.

Edit: went to properties of the ChampionsOnline Test5 and pressed Unblock at the bottom where it says it was created on another computer. Works now!

Edit-Edit: Wanted to make it work the right way still. After disabling windows firewall, it didnt fix anything. So i didnt think i had any other protection on until i realized i had windows defender installed. Turned windows defender off, works perfectly. So now i just put steam, and cryptic folder as an "exclude" option in windows defender and it works.

Archived Post
03-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Hello i have a problem, im new and bought the game today.I installed and made my account.But when i want to start it first need to patch the launcher.But it takes about 10 minutes and then there comes a patcher error.What can i do? Sry for my bad english im from germany.Pls help quick!

Archived Post
03-01-2010, 01:31 PM
you should be able to download the patches with no problem with that client, hope this helps.

Archived Post
03-02-2010, 05:58 AM
not realy.I have another problem now.I played the demo before and deleated it with steam.Installed champions online new and worked.But when i play the tutorial till the end it doesnt continues.I can choose where i can go to , canada or desert but when i want to get into a heli then the interacting thing is comming and loading then when its end ...... nothing happened.And when i want to chat in zone chat then it says : not with a trial account , but it cant be it isnt a trial account and the demo isnt installed anymore.Can it be that i have this problem because i just have the 30 free days?I dont enter a game time card code because i have no card .I must buy one but idk if it changes when i enter the code.Can anyone help?

Archived Post
03-02-2010, 07:29 AM
download that, login and should either update or play if u already updated not sure if it will play or update if u already have the patches, i dont have any patches so it is downloading them for me now, hope this helps

This worked for me :)

Something screwy with the patcher in the newest launcher.

M.

Archived Post
03-02-2010, 01:10 PM

How long is this supposed to take? I get a big scrolling window with some code and send 31 bytes repeating over and over, and I get a modified version of the launcher updater gray box that says:

Trying to update the launcher.
Please be patient.
Tried connecting # times.

It got to 8 times before I went in and unblocked the file, now it is to 4 times after being unblocked.

Archived Post
03-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but 31 bytes at a time will require some 303 times to get to 1 KB, therefore about 303000 times to get to a MB, and if this requires a GB I'm looking at 303000000 times? even at a few dozen sends a second, that will take hours if not days to update?

Archived Post
03-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Got up to 29 times... gave up

Archived Post
03-09-2010, 03:34 PM
its been a few weeks, ive been playing divinity, its not suprising to see that this is still an issue with more than myself... and like the last few post kudokun's method didnt work for me as well.

i let it sit while i played divinity and idk a few hours later it was at 52 attempts.

so im basically paying for this game to take up space on my computer and get denied everytime i even try to open the launcher.

Archived Post
05-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Never was any problem with my launcher, play the game from the beginning, but now almost 50 times tried to connecting... and more than 2 hours waiting, any new or idea? tyvm

I try to upload my Dxdiag but its 46kb and limit is 19.5kb???? Ok i zip it, pathetic...

Archived Post
05-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Never was any problem with my launcher, play the game from the beginning, but now almost 50 times tried to connecting... and more than 2 hours waiting, any new or idea? tyvm

I try to upload my Dxdiag but its 46kb and limit is 19.5kb???? Ok i zip it, pathetic...

Exactly what indication are you getting.
1. sometimes a firewall or antvirus program will reflag a patched program as new and require reauthorization withthe program to access the net. Windows defender will sometime do this when it gets a new update. So recheck the firewall and antivirus.

2. Check IE browser to make sure it did not set itself to work offline or using a proxy server setting in the IE internet options.

reeper18
01-27-2013, 05:49 AM
im getting the same problem I haven't been able to play for a week

brolling09
01-28-2013, 07:06 AM
I've got it since a few hours...

ethanmorrigan
01-28-2013, 07:33 AM
For me it just started today, normally i reconnect my router and it works, but not this time and one of my friends says the same.

tariser12
01-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Same for me, just started today

brolling09
01-28-2013, 08:40 AM
It works for a friend, although he's using the same WLAN like me. I also tried replacing Champions Online.exe and GameClient.exe, but it won't work. Resetting the router won't work too.

tigshadow
01-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Already tried all the options from the Q and A that was in another thread and I was fine at 4 am EST. When I went to log in again about an hour and a half ago it says for the update the launcher. It still does it now in checking again.

zedbrightlander1
01-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Same for me, just started today

Ditto. Was fine last night. Played for a few hours logged out around midnight. Try to logon a few minute ago. All it does it try to connect. One times, two times. Sometimes a blank (white) logon page pops up but remains blank for ages. Other times it tries to blame my connection. I just tested my connection speed here (http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/)...

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

It's great all over the US so it not my connection.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll fix it soonest.

bluegrassbeast
01-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Sh*t's broken.

Fix it now.

cyberzubzeroi
01-28-2013, 09:01 AM
is a support active in this game we have a problem !!! the autoupdate luncher not start-the game not start

trailturtle
01-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Something's gone wrong with our launcher tech for a few of our games, though it isn't affecting everyone. I'll update when it's resolved.

mawayne
01-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Something's gone wrong with our launcher tech for a few of our games, though it isn't affecting everyone. I'll update when it's resolved.

Thank you for the update! The problem has persisted for a couple of hours, so an extension of the double XP weekend would definitely be appreciated. :biggrin:

retro2000
01-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Thank you for the update! The problem has persisted for a couple of hours, so an extension of the double XP weekend would definitely be appreciated. :biggrin:

Was just about to say the same thing. Been off all day for some people.

gradii
01-28-2013, 10:20 AM
I'm in NY cant get on.

cryneting
01-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Was just about to say the same thing. Been off all day for some people.

Yea Still got it all my 3 friends have it. :frown: But oh well

cyberzubzeroi
01-28-2013, 10:51 AM
wtf I thing itws work,as the white loading windows was open but than the Internet Explorer open and it say the program can not open:res://ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff_webOC.htm

sypherv
01-28-2013, 11:04 AM
OMG this is so annoying, sorry guys, but anyone have found out why this happens and is there a solution to it, im not going to go through all 110 threads on this topic so if someone could help me i would be greatly appreciate it, i really hate cryptic right now its so lazy of them to let this happen, i try to start the game i get the same message as everyone else, what can i do? thanks

cyberzubzeroi
01-28-2013, 11:13 AM
http://i.imagebanana.com/img/a2s574dv/thumb/Unbenannt3.jpg (http://www.imagebanana.com/view/a2s574dv/Unbenannt3.jpg)

ourlilsecret
01-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Not working for me, either.

thunderchild99
01-28-2013, 01:03 PM
In northern Virginia and can't get on. It was fine this morning but now nothing just the same error message

sinzill
01-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Says on the front page of the website in a red box "We are aware of an issue in which some players are unable to open launcher. Our engineers are currently investigating the issue." For anyone who wants to know.

prankenstein
01-28-2013, 02:29 PM
Me as well.

taiyou24
01-29-2013, 06:28 AM
I play a long time, after that i don't play for this, i think is my Conecction maybe the problem, BUT THIS IS REALLY ANNOYING e_e

coseleos
01-29-2013, 12:45 PM
I was able to play just fine yesterday. Now the launcher will not connect.

thunderchild99
01-29-2013, 12:47 PM
I could play earlier today now its back to the same old story again. I'll admit this is frustrating. I just hope they find asolution soon. before this I've never had any problems with running the game.

quinnmallorybr
01-29-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm not getting into the game. I'm from Brazil.

qworty01
01-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Had launcher issues yesterday and again today. It would be nice if they had community managers that could tell us what is going on.

ujjjezebel2
01-29-2013, 01:19 PM
I was running fine yesterday and part of today, then I crashed and am now having the launcher fail issue. I'm playing in the Chicago area.

thedoctahake
01-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Also having bad launcher issues. Not the first time.

turtlshellz
01-29-2013, 01:36 PM
I was unable to log onto Champions Online until late last night and again today I am unable to log on. This is getting sadly repetitive, I do hope they will fix it soon. I will try to keep 'the faith' that it is being worked on but after two days it's getting repetitive. Obviously it is not my connection at this point. :biggrin:

nticu
01-29-2013, 01:42 PM
My connection works well eneough to post here, at least give me a proper error message.

thunderchild99
01-29-2013, 01:45 PM
I was unable to log onto Champions Online until late last night and again today I am unable to log on. This is getting sadly repetitive, I do hope they will fix it soon. I will try to keep 'the faith' that it is being worked on but after two days it's getting repetitive. Obviously it is not my connection at this point. :biggrin:

Mt connection is just fine my daughter has been playing guildwars this morning and DCUO works just fine ( first time I've fired it up in months)

turtlshellz
01-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Neither of these games are updating the launcher for me, each tries three times and then shuts down. I have access to all of the other MMO's I own just not these two that Cryptic/PWE operate. Anyway here's to hoping they fix it soon. An update would be nice.

everythingzen79
01-29-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm getting same thing. Pissed

mrinfinitum
01-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Same started here this afternoon/evening, January 29th. I was on fine just a couple hours earlier, now no go...hope it is in reference to the work that is supposedly being done as we speak. =)

guiman1000
01-31-2013, 07:59 AM
So. Yeah. Auto updater problem. I can't play CO or Blacklight Retribution. S'like Cryptic decided to just spontaneously combust. >,..,<

drgmstr
01-31-2013, 08:02 AM
Now that Maintenance is over, tried to open the launcher and get the same message. First time I ever seen this error myself.

flamingbunnyman
01-31-2013, 08:05 AM
Now that Maintenance is over, tried to open the launcher and get the same message. First time I ever seen this error myself.

Same here. Never seen it before this morning, now I get it almost every time I open the launcher. The rare time I don't, I get a white "Loading. Please Wait." screen for a minute or two, then Internet Explorer (WTF, I don't use IE for anything) pops up with an error message.

bluhman
01-31-2013, 08:08 AM
Yup, this just happened again.

uprightdog
01-31-2013, 08:16 AM
Same here (France), downloaded the current (I presume) launcher from http://files.champions-online.com/launcher/Champions%20Online.exe and still get the updating error or rarely, the launcher window then an IE error.

savagedeacon
01-31-2013, 08:20 AM
I am in the same boat but before today it has never happened to me

ujjjezebel2
01-31-2013, 08:21 AM
I was able to play all day yesterday without any issue. Now, I am getting the same launcher problems again, and I cannot get pidgin to connect either.

cyberzubzeroi
01-31-2013, 08:24 AM
stil not work the selv problem autoupdate luncher server offline

tynankainda1
01-31-2013, 08:26 AM
Seems like this happens to me every time they update. What could be the problem?

cyberzubzeroi
01-31-2013, 08:28 AM
the problem is server,defect server?

jencohv
01-31-2013, 09:01 AM
I can't get on either, been trying since 12:20 pm eastern time

drgmstr
01-31-2013, 09:05 AM
This is an update over here (http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=206861)

To quote the email I got from the engineers, we're having "a major network event" in Boston. Current symptoms are that the launcher does not load, at all. I'm experiencing this as well. At a guess, anyone currently logged in is going to be able to stay online, but if you log out you won't be able to get back in.

Since this was going on when we were scheduled to start maintenance, we're postponing maintenance to later in the day, after this is resolved. We've got a number of engineers working on this right now, and I'll update whenever I get more information.

(Also: I'm not sure whether this is the same issue as the launcher issues earlier. It behaves similarly, but I can't be sure it's the same.)

superalfgorn
02-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Uhh launcher broken. I play from Italy using Steam :S

EDIT: after relaunching the game for several times in a row I managed to log in.

solorollo
02-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Same here... seems like it's a slow connection that does this, but I'm not sure. Usual fix for me is to download the latest launcher... but I'd rather fix it permanently! Right now though, anyone who's kind enough to pop up the latest PWE launcher as well can be seen as a hero this time round!

crimreaper65
02-03-2013, 02:02 PM
i'm still having the exact same problem. So do I need to just download a launch update or something? and if so, could anyone possibly provide a link? Any help would be greatly appreciated since I haven't played in quite awhile and I really miss it! :P

richox
03-22-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm having this problem since almost a week ago!