PDA

View Full Version : Retro Robot/cyborg costume set

Archived Post
04-18-2012, 05:44 PM
The retro scifi set is popular and so are robot/cyborg costume pieces.. so why not make a retro robot set!

Simple clamp hands, simple squareish limbs, simple cylindrical banded limbs, non-humanoid robot heads, less comical square robot head, big clunky feet, options for the bubbledome helmets of weird mechanisms and lights (as seen in examples like Robbie the Robot of Forbidden planet and other movies/tv, B9 from Lost In Space), energy projector arms, squared and cylindrical torsos/chest-wear with visible data-tapes or switches and lights (from most old toy robots to Darth Vader), rotating aerial backpack or head option.

Any other ideas for a retro robot set?

Archived Post
04-18-2012, 05:52 PM
I'd definitely get this!

I'd also like some old-school radar backpacks, satellite dish/"cup" feet, tube-arms, vacuum tubes, Jacob's Ladder/traveling arc style antennae, and more art deco pieces.

I'd also like to see not-all-glass bubble helmets, (think the space suit helmets in Alien or 2001).

Perhaps we could get wheel feet or even tank tread feet.

A 50's-era jet turbine chest piece would be cool.

An (original) war of the worlds saucer probe/deathray would be cool - perhaps as a back/shoulder option or tail.

A Gort-style flush mono-eye/visor thingy would be cool.

And how about a Cylon/KITT style "sweeping eye".

A round and flat "plasma ball" piece would be cool as well.

I'd also like to see something like a transparent chest window w/ either miscellaneous machines parts or a beating human heart inside.

Some stuff inspired by the streamlined look of Metropolis would also be very cool: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews52/metropolis_blu-ray_/850_metropolis_kino_blu-ray_k1.jpg

Archived Post
04-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Basically everything Biostem said would be awesome to have in here plus what the OP said, I sign this full hardly!...

/SIGNED

Archived Post
04-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Yeeeeeeees.

/signed

Archived Post
04-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Chest doors that pop open with guns! *ratatatatat*

And lets not forget a giant turning key for a back piece...

:D

Archived Post
04-19-2012, 07:02 AM
Cool ideas!

Archived Post
04-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Definitely /signed

Archived Post
04-22-2012, 07:27 PM
/signed

Archived Post
04-25-2012, 03:00 AM

That would be a great one for chest-emanation attacks!

Archived Post
04-25-2012, 06:08 AM

I agree with the rest and would like to point out the windup key already exists for the become a toy solder device, so it should be easy to make it a costume piece.

Archived Post
04-25-2012, 06:13 AM
I want this, so baddly!!

/signed

Archived Post
04-29-2012, 09:55 PM
I thought of some other ideas to add:

Art-Deco face - an impassive stylised face (eg Maria from Metropolis, Twiki from Buck Rogers, Robots from Robots of Death story of Dr Who and many many more)

Simple face - just two angled cut-outs for eyes, optional rectangle cut-out for mouth, optional triangular nose.

Art-Deco hair - sculpted stylised hair preferably in several styles with a metal and shiny and iridiscent material options

Cylinder/Transister hair - like rock hair but vacuum cylinders, transistors, snall aerials etc.

Vacuum-tube back - like the tesla back pieces but with big vacuum-tubes instead of teslacoils

Rivet-pattern - Additional riveted pattern for several existing armour pieces to make it easier to make retro/diesel-punk power armour and robots.

Jacobs Ladder animated Back or Head Top - if you don't know what this is it's two aerials with an electricity arc that rises up between them

Radar-display emblem - good for making glowing chest-pieces
Oscilloscope Emblem - like on heart-monitors

Archived Post
04-29-2012, 11:10 PM
We need some that look kind of like Robbie the Robot and "The Robot" from Lost in Space... and anything inspired by the robots in the Disney movie "The Black Hole".

And some kind of Davros/Christopher Pike/Professor-X style wheelchair/lower body assembly that just glides.

Archived Post
04-30-2012, 12:14 PM
/signed if this set would include some more arm weapons. Mechanical ones, of course. ;)

Archived Post
04-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Could be a lot of fun. :D I've been thinking about making the Shover Robot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E0ot9iJm_k)...

Archived Post
04-30-2012, 03:20 PM
robbie the robot arms and claws? yeah, definitely

/signed

Archived Post
04-30-2012, 03:53 PM
I have a robot toy character that this would be perfect for!

//signed!!!