PDA

View Full Version : "Preview" vs. "Target_Info" (Bug? Or intended?)

Archived Post
12-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Sooooooooooooooooo...

...You spend all your time getting your "Description" (on the character window) to look JUST right.

You use up ALL available text space (another topic alltogether :rolleyes: )
You format it with all sorts of "colors, line breaks, bold and italic text".
You even toss in a few spiffy "&nbsp" for the perfect fit.

You spend hours using "preview" to make sure everything is just perfect...

...And someone comes along and ask's "Why is your bio is so messed up?"

Why?

Because the "preview" that YOU see isn't what other people see :eek:

What other people see is from the "/target_info" console command, and it's NARROWER than "preview"...
...ALOT narrower (59'ish vs. 38'ish characters wide) :mad:

What's up with this? Bug or "working as intended"? :confused:

(NOTE TO CM's: If this is a BUG, please move this to the bug forum. If it's not, please move it to the suggestion forum. But until it's clarified, can we leave this thread here? Thanks...)

Archived Post
12-15-2011, 01:08 AM
I can't say I know what you're talking about.

Archived Post
12-15-2011, 02:47 AM
I always use target_info on myself to see my bio as others see it and edit accordingly. I've never had any problems with bio formatting when I did that.

Archived Post
12-15-2011, 02:50 AM
I always use target_info on myself to see my bio as others see it and edit accordingly. I've never had any problems with bio formatting when I did that.

That's cheating :D (and a very good idea).

Archived Post
12-15-2011, 03:25 AM

Be that as it may, that's not apparent to the new or casual player. Having to do some online research to see how something like that can be done while the default way to do it doesn't work as advertised is (or should be) a UI fail.

This is just one of those miriad little bugs skittering around our house most long timers have learned to adapt to.

We need a fumigator.

Archived Post
12-15-2011, 03:38 AM
It's not only the width that's different between preview and target_info, it's also what HTML tags that work.

For instance the preview window renders <ul> and <ol> tags, but the /target_info window does not.

As I wrote in A Guide to Bio Formatting (http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=110548&page=4):
It should probably be mentioned that list tags no longer work, even though they seem to work in the preview. It looks like the preview window and the /targetinfo window uses different parser rules.

The tags that I've tested and know works in the /targetinfo window are:
<p>, <br>, <b>, <i>, <font color="colourName">, and the character entities &lt; and &gt;

No other HTML tags seem to work any more :(

Archived Post
12-15-2011, 03:43 AM
Be that as it may, that's not apparent to the new or casual player. Having to do some online research to see how something like that can be done while the default way to do it doesn't work as advertised is (or should be) a UI fail.

This is just one of those miriad little bugs skittering around our house most long timers have learned to adapt to.

We need a fumigator.

I don't disagree. It is nice to have a workaround though.

Archived Post
12-15-2011, 03:45 AM

Yeah.

To be clear, my previous post wasnt meant to dismiss the problem. I just hadn't considered the workaround and was happy that one existed.

Archived Post
12-15-2011, 03:48 AM
It's a workaround for part of the problem - but not the fact that some HTML tags that work in the preview window do not work in the /target_info window. Tags that used to work in /target_info, I might add.

Archived Post
12-15-2011, 05:43 AM
I second the rocket, I did check older posts before I made my bios, I used tags referenced there.
But the parser got very mean to me and refused them...
Too bad.
Also while on this topic: why is the info window non-resizable and so damn thin???
I mean the default window size for SG is larger than that for no reason...

Archived Post
12-15-2011, 10:22 AM
...It is nice to have a workaround though.
But, it's NOT a workaround (as stjobe has said).
It's a leaky patch on a rocky boat, and the patch is coming off :mad:

*gets out the syringe with a dose of the NPC virus in in, injects self...*

..."ME, ME, ME. GOOD IT'S WORKING"...

...CAN I PLEASE GET A DEV TO COMMENT ON THIS? :cool:

Archived Post
12-15-2011, 03:28 PM

That's cheating :D (and a very good idea).

I made it a bind.

/bind ~ target_info

Then I can target anyone and hit Tilde, including myself and get the bio, with no chance of accidentally sending them a duel request. :rolleyes:

Archived Post
12-19-2011, 12:45 PM
......CAN I PLEASE GET A DEV TO COMMENT ON THIS?
*hopes for bug fixes instead of coal in his stocking this christmas*