PDA

View Full Version : Where's the "Surprise?"

Archived Post
11-12-2011, 07:15 AM
At the end of the Qularr invasion, Defender said that they would have a "Surprise" ready for the Qualarr. So... Where is it? I thought we'd be having some kind of counter attack or something.

Archived Post
11-12-2011, 07:52 AM
You mean a ginormous cannon firing not a solid projectile, not an explosive projectile, but a living projectile that not only tears a hole in their ship but then hops up and starts bashing heads is not a surprise?

And it was all possible becvause of you. Well done.

It's been awhile since I played through the tutorial, but I believe that is the surprise Defender is referring to.

Archived Post
11-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Actually I think the surprise is the key. Congratulations.

Archived Post
11-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Yes, since the "surprise' comment occurs after the Qularr have been "sent packing," the comment refers to the surprise party where "your" character is honored and the key to the city given.

Or maybe Defender is referring to the no-prize he plans to give you for not telling anyone that you had to help him with simple things like opening doors and shutting down all those beacons in his own base.

Archived Post
11-12-2011, 08:42 AM
The "surprise" was the bill the Champions planned to present to the city for their services in assisting with the cleanup.

Archived Post
11-12-2011, 09:46 AM
how i think if it is, the serprise was getting the city rebuilt. as quickily as they did.

Archived Post
11-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Ah, that reference. Sorry, yes.

I've only taken a few characters through the tutorial since its revision so I had forgotten that verbiage. But as others have said, the surprise is clearly the ceremony to thank your character and reward them with the Key to the City.

Incidentally, I have finally found out what the key does. It fits the the door to my luxury downtown penthouse apartment...

Archived Post
11-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Poor lil mutant flys... Let's build a spaceship and invade their planet for a change!

Archived Post
11-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Well I'm not satisfied with rebuilding the city or firing a living bullet into their mothership. I vote to invade the Qularr as our 40-50 content.

Archived Post
11-13-2011, 03:38 AM
Well I'm not satisfied with rebuilding the city or firing a living bullet into their mothership. I vote to invade the Qularr as our 40-50 content.

Yeah! Who's with us! :D

Archived Post
11-13-2011, 04:29 AM
C'mon, you saw starship troopers, right? Klendathu won't take our crap a second time!

Archived Post
11-13-2011, 06:01 AM
I'm sorry, i've tried my best and I've been good all week... but.......... pushes in a giant cake with Witchcraft inisde ready to burst out on the OP return.... :D

Sneaks out again...

There's ya surprise ^_^

Archived Post
11-13-2011, 06:35 AM
I'm sorry, i've tried my best and I've been good all week... but.......... pushes in a giant cake with Witchcraft inisde ready to burst out on the OP return.... :D

Sneaks out again...

There's ya surprise ^_^
Delish. *uses the extra long knife to cut a slice*

Archived Post
11-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Delish. *uses the extra long knife to cut a slice*

O_O nurse the screens!!! :eek:

Archived Post
11-13-2011, 06:32 PM
C'mon, you saw starship troopers, right? Klendathu won't take our crap a second time!

Wait....

That show had a plot.

ZOMG, I missed it.

Next you'll be telling me Avatar had a plot.

Geez....

Archived Post
11-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Of course the movie Starship Troopers had a plot.

It plotted to defecate all over the memory of Robert Heinlein, by stealing some of the names of the characters in his novel, completely rewriting them (Juan Rico, who speaks Tagalog at home, as a blue-eyed blonde? Dizzy Flores, who died in the first chapter, as a woman?? Electronics genius Carlos as psychic Doogie Himmler, SS?), and inverting every single ethical and moral lesson learned and/or taught by the characters themselves.

Avatar had a plot, too. It was Pocahontas in space, minus the Disney songs. Or Dances With Wolves, only the Sioux are seven feet tall and blue.

Archived Post
11-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Yeah! Who's with us! :D

Yeah! The only good alien is a dead alien.

... oh except E.T.
... and maybe ALF

Archived Post
11-13-2011, 10:56 PM
O_O nurse the screens!!! :eek:
Best part is that it's low fat.
Of course the movie Starship Troopers had a plot.

It plotted to defecate all over the memory of Robert Heinlein, by stealing some of the names of the characters in his novel, completely rewriting them (Juan Rico, who speaks Tagalog at home, as a blue-eyed blonde? Dizzy Flores, who died in the first chapter, as a woman?? Electronics genius Carlos as psychic Doogie Himmler, SS?), and inverting every single ethical and moral lesson learned and/or taught by the characters themselves.

Avatar had a plot, too. It was Pocahontas in space, minus the Disney songs. Or Dances With Wolves, only the Sioux are seven feet tall and blue.
Lets see what happens if someone mentions sequels. :D

Starship Troopers 2
Starship Troopers 3

GO!

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 06:16 AM
Best part is that it's low fat.

Lets see what happens if someone mentions sequels. :D

Starship Troopers 2
Starship Troopers 3

GO!

What sequels? There were no sequels. It was a single, glorious movie, and that was it. . . .

>_> <_<

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 06:38 AM
Starship troopers the sequels had more plot than the CGI cartoon.

I have to agree that Starship troopers the book has very little to do with the film any of them or the cartoon. I just think they liked the names. :(

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 06:48 AM
What sequels? There were no sequels. It was a single, glorious movie, and that was it. . . .

>_> <_<

Put them to the back of our minds we must!!!

Them and the game they made :eek:

It could be worse though, they could try and remake the first one >_> <_<

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Actually I liked the 3rd, with the singing Sky-Marshall. XD
The second is just some Alien / The Thing clone.

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 08:52 AM

>_> <_<

The first movie is all I can comment on but..

What a pile of crap!

Sorry..

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Starship troopers the sequels had more plot than the CGI cartoon.

I have to agree that Starship troopers the book has very little to do with the film any of them or the cartoon. I just think they liked the names. :(
Actually, my understanding is that Verhoeven was working on his movie, entitled Bug Hunt, when an associate producer commented on some similarities to Heinlein's novel. The lawyers got involved, decided the safest thing to do was purchase the movie rights, and the names got ported over into the anti-war screed Verhoeven had already written.

The only upside I can find to it was that it might have led more people to read the actual novel - at least, it was kind of hard to find a copy for a while there...

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Actually, my understanding is that Verhoeven was working on his movie, entitled Bug Hunt, when an associate producer commented on some similarities to Heinlein's novel. The lawyers got involved, decided the safest thing to do was purchase the movie rights, and the names got ported over into the anti-war screed Verhoeven had already written.

The only upside I can find to it was that it might have led more people to read the actual novel - at least, it was kind of hard to find a copy for a while there...

Classic Hollywood, honestly. They're also fond of taking Generic Movie A and turning it into Big Name Movie B because they had the script and didn't want to give up rights to doing X or Y thing (and didn't think they could do it properly before those rights expired).

I stop expecting anything out of the movie industry. Just turn off the brain at the first sight of 'Did they even research this' and try and enjoy it for what it is. B-grade movie fare!

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Verhoeven flicks are definitely the kind that you just have to turn off the higher levels of your brain, and give in to the cheesy, campy, amazingness.

I never read the book, so I don't have that baggage. As such, I find Starship Troopers (as well as his other movies), thoroughly enjoyable. No, they are not fine pieces of cinema, but they are fun romps to watch once in a while.

Plus, Starship Troopers has Jake Busey in it. You can't go wrong with Jake Busey!
"Everyone needs a friend like me . . . "

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 10:05 AM
The Starship Troopers novel is awful. The movie is significantly better.

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 10:09 AM
I love me a B movie, my favorite movie of all time is Attack of the Killer Tomato's, but I can not stand Starship Troopers. Maybe it is being in the Military, or playing to many Table Top War games. But the whole 5 guys to take down one bug...... maybe vs 10 billion bugs and they still win, just does not work for me. That and interstellar travel and ballistic guns. I am not sure why reality just intrudes so much for that movie and I can throw reality for just about every other movie I watch.

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 10:26 AM
I love me a B movie, my favorite movie of all time is Attack of the Killer Tomato's, but I can not stand Starship Troopers. Maybe it is being in the Military, or playing to many Table Top War games. But the whole 5 guys to take down one bug...... maybe vs 10 billion bugs and they still win, just does not work for me. That and interstellar travel and ballistic guns. I am not sure why reality just intrudes so much for that movie and I can throw reality for just about every other movie I watch.

Yeah, it's not like it's ever been done before. (http://media.moddb.com/images/groups/1/3/2055/1260668859521.jpg)

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 10:47 AM
You've all gone off subject! :mad:

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 10:50 AM
You've all gone off subject! :mad:
Temper, temper... We never left the bug invasion surprise topic now did we? :p

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 10:54 AM
The whole,

"The alien planet is so far away that the asteroid the bugs tossed at earth had to have been launched back during the time of the dinosaurs in order to get here in time to function as an attack on humanity,"

thing bothered me.

I mean seriously, how do you beat a race of bugs that can predict your every move millions of years before your race even exists ?

Especially if human battlefield tactics have reverted to a state where WWI trench warfare, "over the top," charges against emplaced machine-guns seems brilliant in comparison.

I mean light infantry assaults against unknown, but suspected heavy, forces without artillery or air cover ?

And no armor ?

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 11:08 AM
The whole,

"The alien planet is so far away that the asteroid the bugs tossed at earth had to have been launched back during the time of the dinosaurs in order to get here in time to function as an attack on humanity,"

thing bothered me.

I mean seriously, how do you beat a race of bugs that can predict your every move millions of years before your race even exists ?

Especially if human battlefield tactics have reverted to a state where WWI trench warfare, "over the top," charges against emplaced machine-guns seems brilliant in comparison.

I mean light infantry assaults against unknown, but suspected heavy, forces without artillery or air cover ?

And no armor ?

You're letting your brain get the better of you. You have to shut down all those beaco. . . er. . . I mean you have to shut down like 90% of your brain when you watch those movies, and just enjoy the spectacle of them.

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Verhoeven flicks are definitely the kind that you just have to turn off the higher levels of your brain, and give in to the cheesy, campy, amazingness.

And I'll note the exception to that rule is Robocop. It works as campy, cheesy, amazingness, but you can also leave your brain turned on and try not to have it chomped on by the biting social commentary.

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 11:17 AM
The whole,

thing bothered me.

And no armor ?

I'm going to feel almost bad defending this movie further, but...

They actually set it all up as the invasion forces being screwed from the moment they got to the planet. A lot of their capital ships were just plain taken out by planetary defenses (the huge bug you see in the first movie is an example of the kind of mobile artillery the bugs had available to them, and you even see it firing off a shot). That means they were mostly left with what they could disembark - presumably, as the first/second wave designed to do nothing but establish (and/or secure) a beachhead so that further forces could be dropped down.

We can assume that most of that got blasted out of orbit within the first few minutes of the assault - because we're only left following one group of infantry the entire time, we can't really say that no heavy pieces made it planetside, or how they fared when they got there. What we do know is that the Roughnecks got hot-dropped into a combat zone with none of the support the expected, and had jack-all for supplies or hope for doing anything but holding out and trying to continue with their mission anyway.

They likely had planned on having more supplies/support/etc., but that plan apparently didn't survive contact with the enemy.

The asteroid launching thing is indefensible, though. Ain't even going to try with that. :U

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Plus, Starship Troopers has Jake Busey in it. You can't go wrong with Jake Busey!
"Everyone needs a friend like me . . . "

Go watch the Frighteners again. Best. Movie. EVER.

Can't go wrong with Jake Busey AND Michael J Fox AND Peter Jackson. Oh, and Jeffery Coombs!

:D

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm going to feel almost bad defending this movie further, but...

They actually set it all up as the invasion forces being screwed from the moment they got to the planet. A lot of their capital ships were just plain taken out by planetary defenses (the huge bug you see in the first movie is an example of the kind of mobile artillery the bugs had available to them, and you even see it firing off a shot). That means they were mostly left with what they could disembark - presumably, as the first/second wave designed to do nothing but establish (and/or secure) a beachhead so that further forces could be dropped down.

We can assume that most of that got blasted out of orbit within the first few minutes of the assault - because we're only left following one group of infantry the entire time, we can't really say that no heavy pieces made it planetside, or how they fared when they got there. What we do know is that the Roughnecks got hot-dropped into a combat zone with none of the support the expected, and had jack-all for supplies or hope for doing anything but holding out and trying to continue with their mission anyway.

They likely had planned on having more supplies/support/etc., but that plan apparently didn't survive contact with the enemy.

The asteroid launching thing is indefensible, though. Ain't even going to try with that. :U

IIRC, the movie wasn't going to be called 'Starship Troopers' until later on in the production. The source book at the soldiers fighting in powered armor, thus 1 soldier basically was a walking tank. The 3rd movie, as bad as it is, brings in the power armor and they do much much better because of it.

Anyway, I never got any impression that there was going to be any kind of additional support for the mobile infantry, other than even more troops. The tactics seemed to be that you get lots and lots of recruits, rely on them simply hosing down the enemy w/ automatic weapons fire and/or mini-nukes as needed, and that simply weeds out the weaker/less capable troops from the better ones...

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 12:52 PM
IIRC, the movie wasn't going to be called 'Starship Troopers' until later on in the production. The source book at the soldiers fighting in powered armor, thus 1 soldier basically was a walking tank. The 3rd movie, as bad as it is, brings in the power armor and they do much much better because of it.

Yar, was just analyzing it based on the first movie alone.

Anyway, I never got any impression that there was going to be any kind of additional support for the mobile infantry, other than even more troops. The tactics seemed to be that you get lots and lots of recruits, rely on them simply hosing down the enemy w/ automatic weapons fire and/or mini-nukes as needed, and that simply weeds out the weaker/less capable troops from the better ones...

Standard invasion operating procedure is to establish a beachhead. The most effective way to establish a beachhead, or any kind of invasion front, is to send in infantry to clear the surrounding area as much as possible to either at least get information on where enemy positions are (for later clearing with targeted heavy strikes, or just to know where NOT to move your stuff). Ideally, you do this by first delivering a tactical bombardment of the area (by either air or sea, or if you have fortifications in place already, from land; Latter is far rarer, even with today's long range missle/artillery for a variety of reasons that go beyond the scope of this discussion).

It's hard to tell what they were really, seriously intending to do - you were only ever given views on the actual invasion plan from two points: That of Rico himself (that of a grunt, who isn't going to be told anything more then he needs to survive) or rarely the pilot or captain section of a particular vessel (who will likely have a greater view of what is going on, but is far harder to see what IS going on or planned from the captain's chair). Because of this, we can't make too many guesses at what is going to happen, other then to extend logical military planning.

They were sending a standard invasion fleet at an unknown (they did state that the full capabilities of the defending forces were unknown and seemed pretty well in the dark about things the entire movie), but presumed high defensive strength. This ended with their initial invasion force having it's entire fleet destroyed or routed in space, during the initial first wave of the assault; Following standard procedure for invasions as pointed out previously, this included (and continues to include today, and has since WW2) a massive infantry drop. Likely, this was meant to be followed up by setting up of bases for aircraft or depots for fuel/supplies for heavier artillery and cavalry. That didn't happen, as planetary defenses took care of the fleet (and presumably what was being used to transport EVERYTHING, not just the heavy stuff).

Because of that, we get to see the surviving infantry getting mowed down with the suggestion that orbit is being slowly meatgrindered down after the initial wave as they do eventually take the planet (and I can't recall, but didn't they have limited fire support near the end as well?).

Standard operating procedure for assault/invasion blows for the general infantry, but at the same time, you can't really do anything without them either. Even small squads of five guys can get places and clear things that you can't do as effective with tanks or artillery.

Say, tight tunnels made by burrowing insects.

EDIT: And it could be worse. Could be the Imperial Guard (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Imperial_Guard), where you're so far beyond hosed it's not even funny.

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 01:13 PM
You're letting your brain get the better of you. You have to shut down all those beaco. . . er. . . I mean you have to shut down like 90% of your brain when you watch those movies, and just enjoy the spectacle of them.

Honestly, suspension of higher brain function would have been much easier if they had chosen not to deface the Heinlein work.

Call it, "Bug Hunt," and enjoy the B-Movie spectacle.

Choosing to lobotomize a science fiction classic was a shame.

I understand the needs of different media. Change things up a bit to make the translation from page to big screen work. Totally cool. Actually taking a 180 degree turn from the source material to present it in a light that is the actual antitheses of its philosophical underpinnings, is obscene.

Essentially they decided to make fun of something that meant something to others, and by extension made fun of those others in the process.

Normally parodies arent presented as the original they are parodying.

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Honestly, suspension of higher brain function would have been much easier if they had chosen not to deface the Heinlein work.

Call it, "Bug Hunt," and enjoy the B-Movie spectacle.

Choosing to lobotomize a science fiction classic was a shame.

Full agreement there - Hollywood has a penchant for doing that kind of thing that makes me a little sad. What could have been a great, generic action movie instead tanks because they decided to slap some label on it that it didn't need for whatever asinine reason they have for it, and kill both the property they added the tag of and the movie itself as a result.

S'depressing.

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Full agreement there - Hollywood has a penchant for doing that kind of thing that makes me a little sad. What could have been a great, generic action movie instead tanks because they decided to slap some label on it that it didn't need for whatever asinine reason they have for it, and kill both the property they added the tag of and the movie itself as a result.

S'depressing.
And potentially other properties as well - rumor has it that Disney had been into preproduction of an adaptation of The Star Beast when this debacle happened, and Robert's widow Virginia promptly revoked all movie rights for her late husband's works.

Can't confirm now, as Virginia Heinlein passed away a few years ago, but that was a report from Spider Robinson, a personal friend of the Heinleins...

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 04:43 PM
And it could be worse. Could be the Imperial Guard (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Imperial_Guard), where you're so far beyond hosed it's not even funny.

You underestimate their ability to deplete the enemy's ammunition.

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 04:49 PM
You underestimate their ability to deplete the enemy's ammunition.

They are rather handy at that...

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Starship troopers was great if you totally ignore the title and the cannon and just watch it as a sci fi flicky much like most other sci fi flicks ever made its not real ignore the plot ignore the stupid actors and enjoy the scenes etc.

As tumerboy said shut off your higher brain functions get popcorn and fill your action tank up on coolness..

Archived Post
11-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Hollywood has a history of taking great ideas and destroying them to make what they think is a good movie. I mean my favourite Hollywood hack job is Judge Dredd. Take an iconic British comic book hero use the names of the characters but throw the rest of the story in the trash. oh and remove Judge Dredds's never removed helmet just so we can see Sly Stalones face (It would have been an improvement to keep it on). Oh no I'm moving further off topic sorry.

Archived Post
11-15-2011, 06:18 AM
*Reads entire Thread*
I had no idea I could cause such a long, riveting conversation about alien invasions and movies.
This needs to be a new power set! The 'Start Conversation' set! complete with custom emotes!

Archived Post
11-15-2011, 06:20 AM
*Reads entire Thread*
I had no idea I could cause such a long, riveting conversation about alien invasions and movies.
This needs to be a new power set! The 'Start Conversation' set! complete with custom emotes!

I would happily dump all my advantage points into the 'Derail' power in that framework. :D