PDA

View Full Version : Dark Ages Fantasy Set

Archived Post
07-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi there,
I know that its a fantasy set, so I didn't
expect too much realism, but it isn't dark!

Its more like renaissance festival costume set. Too many
ornaments and no metal armor at all, just cloth.

From the concepts I expected a little more real armor.

It just doesn't look like dark ages (with or without fantasy) at all.

Archived Post
07-13-2011, 05:21 PM
The dark ages weren't dark. They are called that because not much was written down at the time so we don't have a good grasp of what was happening on a daily basis. It is historically in the dark. It's the period after the Roman empire declined, the Roman's were great record keepers and that's the only reason there was any contrast between the time of their rule and the "dark" ages. I would guess it was in some ways a joyous time as all these countries in Europe become free of roman rule and slowly returned to their own cultures.

Archived Post
07-13-2011, 06:19 PM
I have to agree with the Legendary on this one.

"Dark Ages" conjures images of breastplates and broadswords. With the exception of the fantasy cape (the mantle looks great with armor), I don't care for the cloth and tights.

Archived Post
07-13-2011, 08:15 PM
I would guess it was in some ways a joyous time as all these countries in Europe become free of roman rule and slowly returned to their own cultures.

I'm not attempting to paint Roman rule as a wonderful thing, but a lot was lost to subject peoples during the decline.

Archived Post
07-14-2011, 05:04 AM
The dark ages weren't dark. They are called that because not much was written down at the time so we don't have a good grasp of what was happening on a daily basis. It is historically in the dark. .

Oo?! This is not about me thinking it was always dark in the dark ages because...the earth stopped
rotating or the trees where so high that the sun didn't get through.

This is an armour set from a period in time, the fantasy in the name tells us that it won't be too
close to the real armour in this time period.
But its still a historical period in time.

I expect armour that is called dark ages fantasy in the shop to live up to certain attributes:

1.Dark Ages = Metal and lether (chain, scales etc.)

2.Fantasy = (more spikes! ^^ etc.)

Bright renaissance stuff just doesn't do the trick here!
None of that armor has a dark ages feel to it

This is not a problem of romans not keeping record, nobody in the dark ages wore
anything that looked like this! (The female costumes aren't that bad)

I got enough historical books of armor to say that.

It looks like the late renaissance when
people wore armour that was made only for fashion reasons and not for combat at all.

Archived Post
07-14-2011, 05:48 AM
I assumed you meant "dark" as in gritty and barbaric. It's simply not the case.

The Dark Ages is just another term for the medieval era. Plate armor was only worn by knights, that's it. Peasants and common soldiers wore leather, and nobles wore very ornate and decorative clothing. There is absolutely nothing about this set that couldn't have been worn by somebody in the dark ages, in fact the "fantasy" here might be that the outfits are too plain for true medieval nobility who would often cover themselves in as much jewels and gold as they could afford to show off their standing and wealth.

Maybe you should watch the Tudors. It's obviously not historically accurate but AFAIK they at least got the style of clothing people wore in the time correct.

Archived Post
07-14-2011, 06:04 AM
It's totes not accurate. People weren't that good-looking back then.

Archived Post
07-14-2011, 08:34 AM
I assumed you meant "dark" as in gritty and barbaric. It's simply not the case.

The Dark Ages is just another term for the medieval era. Plate armor was only worn by knights, that's it. Peasants and common soldiers wore leather, and nobles wore very ornate and decorative clothing.

When there is a Dark Ages Fantasy costume set, I somehow expect it to be
dark and gritty! And yes like you write, metal and lether and I expected it
to be more battleworthy.
Like the concept in the upper right http://www.champions-online.com/node/595352
Looking at it again I could use almost every item on it while the version that got released only
has the cape for me.

I work in the computer game industry myself and its not about being historcal correct
but about being believable. We worked a lot on games that played during the late dark ages
and late renaissance.

Its a super hero game so I expected it to be over the top but
if the name is dark age fantasy it is supposed to be dark metal and lether and of
course a little rugged.

I saw the concepts and they didn't give me the impression of being so cloth heavy.

Im just a little disappointed.

And on top of it the weapons pack has no axes or clubs for my main heavy
weapons char...darn! (yes the crystal one, but that doesn't fit)
Yes I'm a single child so I may be a little spoiled, but yes I see that there was a large
number of axes and hammers already in the game while swords were a little scarce.

Archived Post
07-14-2011, 11:40 AM
When there is a Dark Ages Fantasy costume set, I somehow expect it to be
dark and gritty!

Why?

And yes like you write, metal and lether and I expected it
to be more battleworthy.

Again, why? It didn't say "Dark Ages Armor." We already have like 5 different medieval armor sets as is.

The top left armor in the concept I think will probably be a part of the archer/swashbuckler set.

Archived Post
07-14-2011, 02:49 PM
I think the clue is in use of the adjective "dark". Nowadays anything described as "dark" on anything that isn`t an unlight room is defined as "gritty". That`s why most people think the Dark Ages were gritty times.

Archived Post
07-15-2011, 03:26 AM
Why?

Again, why? It didn't say "Dark Ages Armor." We already have like 5 different medieval armor sets as is.

The top left armor in the concept I think will probably be a part of the archer/swashbuckler set.

Okay, lets assume you had to put the dark ages fantasy set into one of these 3 categories, wich
one would you choose?

1. Renaissance Costumes

2. Kings Court Costumes

3. Dark Ages Fantasy

And you are only allowed to pick one!

Archived Post
07-15-2011, 04:15 AM
You are missing the point. The Dark Ages were a 1000 year long period and the name simply doesn't mean what you thought it does. They could have given us a set of medieval underwear and that would have qualified as "dark ages fantasy." The could have given us peasant rags, court jester costumes, masquerade ball gowns, or anything from any aspect of life from that 1000 year long period.

Keep in mind I'm not saying I like what they gave us, I don't and I'm not going to buy it, but compared to their other infractions (like calling the melee weapon pack sword a naginata) there's nothing "wrong" about what they marketed this one as.

Archived Post
07-15-2011, 04:54 AM
The word Fantasy says it all, it's a fantasy costume from Dark Ages....