PDA

View Full Version : Baddies that Plague F2P

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Cryptic, in your newsletter that you sent today, the first line is:

"The usual baddies that plague the free-to-play world of Champions are out in full force...."

Maybe you aren't hip with the lingo, but 'baddies' is another word for noob/annoying/unskilled person.

This line has a totally other meaning than what you wanted, it basically says

"our game is plagued by those annoying brats that play free to play games since they have no money"

Might want to watch that for next time.

I did lol though and had a moment of "...did they really say that!?"

Then I realized by baddies you meant enemies.

EDIT: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=baddie

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Maybe you aren't hip with the lingo, but 'baddies' is another word for noob/annoying/unskilled person.

It is? :confused:

Either I'm very very old or this is some kind of cultural divide. :o
What country do you come from?

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm very very old

That is what I have been trying to get you to understand all this time!

And it does.

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 02:31 PM
That's a new one on me as well. Baddies have been and always will be fore me bad guys, criminals, villains, ect.

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 02:33 PM
That's a new one on me as well. Baddies have been and always will be fore me bad guys, criminals, villains, ect.
Or simplified... A bad character.

And a noob is?

The more you know! :p

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 02:38 PM
I'd never heard it referring to anything other than enemies before now, either.

You darn kids with your baddies and your hippity-hop music stay off my LAWN!

:D

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 02:39 PM

I think he means "Bads".

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 02:52 PM
That is what I have been trying to get you to understand all this time!

And it does.

Damn you Chat!, you disappear for ages but a mere whiff of scandal and you appear faster than a greased weasel !.

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Damn you Chat!, you disappear for ages but a mere whiff of scandal and you appear faster than a greased weasel !.
Thats ok old lady. I will be gone for quite some time after tomorrow. (getting my dream game of the century. It got a unicorn. GLEEEEEEEEE!)

Oh and you are a baddie at getting old. :p
(this is an example at how baddie can be used)

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 02:56 PM
I think he means "Bads".

Yes, 'bads' and 'baddies' are basically the same, meaning "bad players".

"Don't be a baddie!"

"I hope hes not a bad"

I'm surprised so many of you never heard that term!

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 02:58 PM
baddies also means mobs, critters etc.

When someone says you need to capture the baddies, I don't think of bad players.

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 03:00 PM
You say rose.
He says pinkish red.
Chat say razzmatazz.

They are the same thing!

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Thats ok old lady. I will be gone for quite some time after tomorrow. (getting my dream game of the century. It got a unicorn. GLEEEEEEEEE!)

Away with your unicorn (http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/red-faction-armageddon/news/red-faction-armageddon-gets-farting-unicorn-power-up/a-20110601185910270018/g-20100607134359908035) heresy, THIS is your dream game... and don't you forget it young lady!.

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 03:02 PM
You say rose.
He says pinkish red.
Chat say razzmatazz.

They are the same thing!

You can by razzmatazz in adult beverage form.

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 03:07 PM

"Don't be a baddie!"

"I hope hes not a bad"

i've never heard of other players being referred to that way, either.

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 03:09 PM
You can by razzmatazz in adult beverage form.
I... Need this.

Away with your unicorn (http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/red-faction-armageddon/news/red-faction-armageddon-gets-farting-unicorn-power-up/a-20110601185910270018/g-20100607134359908035) heresy, THIS is your dream game... and don't you forget it young lady!.
Wrong Unicorn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWuqrkyzBss) old lady.

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Back on topic!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=baddie

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Weeell, FWIW when I saw the title I first thought this was going to be a troll thread :p But in my defense I'm under the effects of painkillers and extremely powerful antibiotics (bordering on hallucinogenic at times ;_; ), and I played World of ******** off and on from The Burning Crusade through Cataclysm, so I'm very much used to hearing the term "baddies" being thrown around when referring to anyone who isn't the top 1% of the top 1% of gaming population.

I'm just glad I was wrong. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a penguin to catch.

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 03:16 PM
It's WoW-speak for "everyone I dislike or that disagrees with me, because I think I'm good enough to be in the top 1% of the guilds in the world, yet I'm too cool to use the myriad of other terms that already exist to describe my perceived inferiors." That was then co-opted by everyone else that wanted a pretext to look down on others.

And it needs to die in a fire.

No offense to the OP, other than get your WoW-speak way the hell away from CO. :(

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 03:20 PM

"Don't be a baddie!"

"I hope hes not a bad"

I have played MMOs since EQ's Ruins of Kunark Expansion. I have never in my life heard this term applied to a player. I could be wrong, but given the shear amount of time I've put into the genre and the forums associated with said games, it'd be quite surprising if a common piece of lingo had somehow snuck past me.

Baddies has always been, as I've heard it, used to reference enemies. Bad guys, baddies, enemies, monsters, mobs, etc...

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 03:21 PM
It's WoW-speak for "everyone I dislike or that disagrees with me, because I think I'm good enough to be in the top 1% of the guilds in the world, yet I'm too cool to use the myriad of other terms that already exist to describe my perceived inferiors." That was then co-opted by everyone else that wanted a pretext to look down on others.

No offense to the OP, other than get your WoW-speak way the hell away from CO. :(
It's not "WoW-speak". Just general gamer speak... albeit of the more lower IQ one. :p

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 03:22 PM

Must have been since I quit WoW then. Though to be fair, there were enough jackasses in that game that it wouldn't shock me at all to find out a new insult (especially one so pathetically uncreative) originated there.

And yes, I hate WoW. With a fiery passion.

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Back on topic!

Hey I like number 3 in that list... "A tremendously stupid phrase..." I think that sums it up completely, no need to add anything else.

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 03:29 PM
I can't imagine how after reading the whole paragraph anybody could think anything but villains. :confused:

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 03:34 PM
I can't imagine how after reading the whole paragraph anybody could think anything but villains. :confused:
I was actually thinking about bugs.

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 04:02 PM
It's not "WoW-speak". Just general gamer speak... albeit of the more lower IQ one. :p

Well... at least I know I'm not at the lower IQ bracket of the gaming community, cuz I had never heard the word "baddie" being used to refer to "noobs" or anyone you found disagreable before in my life, but I've been playing MMO's (including WoW for a while) for a couple of years.

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Phrases like this need to pass "the mother test" my mother is as far removed from gaming as a caveman is from space travel. If I talk to her and say "a newbie did something stupid" she still understands the context of the sentence, that a newbie must mean "new person" or "knowledgeable". so referring to newbies or F2Pers as "baddies" is ......nonsense, there are already meanings to the word "baddie" such as indvidual npc foes or groups of foes.

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Well... at least I know I'm not at the lower IQ bracket of the gaming community, cuz I had never heard the word "baddie" being used to refer to "noobs" or anyone you found disagreable before in my life, but I've been playing MMO's (including WoW for a while) for a couple of years.
PvP centric shooters is where I heard it the most.

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 04:57 PM
First you younglings tell me Bad means good. Then you make up a word "noob" to confuse me even more. Now to top it off you tell me Baddie means bad at gaming. I shall ignore this new fangled butchery of the English language. A baddie is a evil doer, bad means bad not good and noob is not a word. Now clear off you pesky younglings and leave English alone grrrrrrr. (takes hearing aid out so I can't listen any more):D

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 05:07 PM
The inference is picked up in the first few sentences. There really isn't a problem.

Perhaps it intermingled with a perception already within.

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 05:07 PM
PvP centric shooters is where I heard it the most.

I have nothing to top this. I think it says it all.

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 05:08 PM
First you younglings tell me Bad means good. Then you make up a word "noob" to confuse me even more. Now to top it off you tell me Baddie means bad at gaming. I shall ignore this new fangled butchery of the English language. A baddie is a evil doer, bad means bad not good and noob is not a word. Now clear off you pesky younglings and leave English alone grrrrrrr. (takes hearing aid out so I can't listen any more):D

I'm with you on this one. Baddie doesn't mean a bad player, a baddie is a mob. Always will be. I don't care what the younger generation tries to make it mean, it sounds stupid as a word referring to people. A bad player isn't a baddie, they're just a crappy player. End of story.

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Back on topic!

Okay. Urban dictionary isn't the end all be all. That might be your understanding of it and that's fine. But it seems like the majority of the people posting in this thread are saying baddie = critters and mobs in game.

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Okay. Urban dictionary isn't the end all be all. That might be your understanding of it and that's fine. But it seems like the majority of the people posting in this thread are saying baddie = critters and mobs in game.

I did find the 7th definition quite entertaining though.

7. baddie 11 up, 95 down
Term describing a fan of Canadian musician Bryan Adams
If it wasn't for all the baddies, Bryan Adams wouldn't have sold an album in years.

Then again, I just really like making fun of Bryan Adams.

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 05:23 PM
I did find the 7th definition quite entertaining though.

Then again, I just really like making fun of Bryan Adams.

Bryan Adams ruined a summer many moons ago with a certain song "everything I do I do it for you" It was every where and I hated it . So making fun of him makes me happy.

God I have shown my age again haven't I.....:o

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 05:58 PM
I was actually thinking about bugs.

Insects? Listening devices? Problems with computer programming code?

The existence of this thread proves the necessity of a full paragraph to describe any noun. Just be advised that we'll only read the first few words of the paragraph and draw inferences from it. We won't be reading the whole thing to obtain the proper context. :rolleyes:

:p

Archived Post
07-01-2011, 07:31 PM
I think anyone who plays CO should know what they meant by "baddies". Different games will have different lingo, and the lingo in one game will not always succsesfully translate to another game. If people in chat were to ask me what I was doing (in CO), and I told them I was "ratting" I'm sure a lot of them wouldnt know what I meant, or would ask me where to find the giant rats.

Archived Post
07-02-2011, 02:15 AM

I have nothing to top this. I think it says it all.
Totally. :p
I learned many fancy words during my youth in shooters.

Insects? Listening devices? Problems with computer programming code?

The existence of this thread proves the necessity of a full paragraph to describe any noun. Just be advised that we'll only read the first few words of the paragraph and draw inferences from it. We won't be reading the whole thing to obtain the proper context. :rolleyes:

:p
The last one.

To me baddies=bad characters.
Which is translated over to bad people(where bad is lack in skill). So everyone is right in their view of the term. (minus mumsy because she is old)

Archived Post
07-02-2011, 02:25 AM
i guess I AM old.. I have no idea what you folks are talking about. :eek:

edit:changed a spelling error.. my job is never finished

Archived Post
07-02-2011, 12:54 PM
I have played MMOs since EQ's Ruins of Kunark Expansion. I have never in my life heard this term applied to a player. I could be wrong, but given the shear amount of time I've put into the genre and the forums associated with said games, it'd be quite surprising if a common piece of lingo had somehow snuck past me.

Baddies has always been, as I've heard it, used to reference enemies. Bad guys, baddies, enemies, monsters, mobs, etc...

The 1st time i heard "That guy's a bad" was when I was playing the RIFT beta. I also heard things like "rotations" and "macros" and "daily quests". Didn't stay long.

Archived Post
07-02-2011, 01:17 PM
ok then, so accroding to your beloved Urban Dicktionary a baddie is:

1. baddie
One who's videogame performance is subpar. It may refer to, but is not limited to, noobs.
"He just planted at A. Don't peek! Don't peek!"
Teamate peeks and gets shot in the head
"OMG you are such a baddie!"
buy baddie mugs & shirts sponsor this word
noob nub noobie cs 1.6 ftw
by [AP|N] Swordfish Apr 20, 2007 share this

2. baddie
A particularly strange word, used to describe someone who is "bad" at a video game. Old fashioned, rarely used, except by people who lack a understanding of the English language.
The noob DonkeyKong called several CounterStrike:Source players "baddies."
baddie video games counter-strike counter-strike:source baddies
by MajorKane Nov 16, 2007 share this

3. baddie
A tremendously stupid phrase used by gamers (especially in MMORPG's) to describe anyone who plays poorly. Terms such as "baddie" do nothing to help remove the socially-inept, tone-deaf loser stigma stuck on gamers.
"This entire raid is filled with baddies."
wow rpg video games lingo nerd
by Trendon Apr 22, 2010 share this

4. Baddie 9 up, 8 down
A terrible League of Legends player
Bromuzl is a baddie
noob bad terrible crap ****
by Jehred Mar 6, 2011 share this

5. baddie
a very attractive woman
"wow, that girl is a baddie"
hottie babe looker munter dog heffer
by nick j May 29, 2006 share this

6. baddie
Baddie = a evil bad dude in a game. Example: Liquid Snake in MGS
Dude, isn't he a baddie?
by Miigga Jun 7, 2005 share this

7. baddie
Term describing a fan of Canadian musician Bryan Adams
If it wasn't for all the baddies, Bryan Adams wouldn't have sold an album in years.
bryan adams canada musician troobie fan
by Badfreak Mar 24, 2008 share this

So, I am to believe that a "baddie" is all of these things? An attractive woman?! Who is bad at games (esp League of Legends...)? and does evil? and listens to Bryan Adams?

I mean seriously, it sounds like someone is completely inept at using English and can't even deal with "newb" being short for "newbie" hence they go with stupid stuff like n00b and pwn and zomg and... oh nevermind, I'm probably just old and jaded and described by some word that some stupid kid totally made up and uses in an inappropriate way proving that he lacks any understanding of the English language, especially spelling and grammar.

Archived Post
07-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Make Zeus.GS's head asplode?
Newbie and Noob are two totally different things.

And this thread should have been closed two razzmatastic pages ago. :p

Archived Post
07-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Back on topic!

have never, in the entire time i have played mmos every heard it used in that fashion, always referred to mobs

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 02:17 AM
Make Zeus.GS's head asplode?
Newbie and Noob are two totally different things.

You're right, noob is the ripoff of newb, which is short for newbie and has probably been in use since before you were a ... oh forget it. Asplode? Seriously? Does anyone speak English anymore?

Anyone?....

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 05:50 AM
I did not interpret that line the way you did, baddies instantly means enemies to me. No sane company would insult their playerbase on purpose.

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 05:58 AM
'baddies.'

never heard of it before....and thats coming from a MMO vet from text based days.

.*meh

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 06:46 AM
It is? :confused:

Either I'm very very old or this is some kind of cultural divide. :o
What country do you come from?

In the UK baddies means a villain or a group of villains (Bad guys). You can just say villains though. That is the historical term. The gamer side of things does not count in my book, as the other term came before it. But these young people today have really strange terms, as in the term "sick" means a good thing O_O

As in "Get that group of baddies over there". I have never ever ever in my 37 years heard it used the other way. But then other countries have got strange ways :p

But as i've said, it really does depend where you come from. I suspect the gaming term baddies was started in Sweden, looks at Chat with suspect eyes.

*Disclaimer* Other countries are cool, and Jed has been suspended upside down over a vat of killer bunnies by Chat for saying such things :eek:

But I still say we blame the Swedes >_> <_< flees the scene.

After posting this I read page 3 and noticed that the term is used by low IQ players. Well, no shock there...

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 06:57 AM
Baddies means "bad guys" which means the critters/enemies we face.

When we say newbies, noobies or noobs, we use those words.

Clearly this other lingo is specific to other games or communities and sounds very urban. Perhaps it's console gamer language or used by FPS gamers?

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 07:06 AM
You're right, noob is the ripoff of newb, which is short for newbie and has probably been in use since before you were a ... oh forget it. Asplode? Seriously? Does anyone speak English anymore?

Anyone?....
Noob=Stupid player. (aka word used to insult someone)
Newbie=New player. (term of endearment)
They don't intermix. ASPLODO! :p

After posting this I read page 3 and noticed that the term is used by low IQ players. Well, no shock there...
Like I said. Mostly PvP centric shooters. MMO usage... Not so much.

*Mostly is not the same as only

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 07:21 AM
Baddies are those that do evil IMO. Noobs are simply that, noobs. Even the game itself refers to mobs as baddies sometimes, I believe.

And citing Urbandictionary to aid your argument is rather like fighting termites by setting your house on fire.

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 07:21 AM
I used to play FPS in competetive leagues for many years and still talk to my old Clan mates and have never come across baddies meaning any thing other than things you shoot at in coop modes or single player. If some one was bad he was a noob and if they were to good they had an aimbot.

This may be some thing new so I asked my mate in Dignitas a porfessional gaming guild and guess what he had never heard of it.

Who compiles the urban dictionary a group of people on the web using local slang from their particular games.

May be we should make up our own Cryptic slang to confuse other gamers lol.

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Woah, totally blew me out with that definition.

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Cut the OP some slack, it's obviously a legitimate slang term for somebody out there and they were just having a giggle, same as we might giggle at a town named Mianus.

teehee, Mianus. :)

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 09:14 AM
same as we might giggle at a town named Mianus.

I'll do you one better: Welcome to ****, France (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****,_France).

Yeah, we had to stop and take our pictures with the town sign while passing through :)

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 10:56 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies (http://forums.champions-online.com/announcement.php?f=19&a=8) ~GM Tiyshen

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 11:05 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies (http://forums.champions-online.com/announcement.php?f=19&a=8) ~GM Tiyshen

If grown ups throw insults left and right, then yes. I am young and immature.

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 11:09 AM
If grown ups throw insults left and right, then yes. I am young and immature.

Our youth and immaturity, we are proud of it. *pounds chest with fist*

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Rambling Crap.

Someone's all tantrumy!

Must be close to nap time.

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 11:19 AM

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 11:59 AM

Good thing you're leaving! I'm pretty sure you had their egos on the ropes, bro!

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Cut the OP some slack, it's obviously a legitimate slang term for somebody out there and they were just having a giggle, same as we might giggle at a town named Mianus.

Thank you!

No where did I say I use this term, support this term, or think it is the only definition of the word.

I merely was stating it to point out the statement in the newsletter had a different meaning using gaming lingo. Of course if you kept reading there was no confusion on what they meant and of course Cryptic would never purposely insult their players.

I was surprised many people did not hear of the term used in a way other than 'mob', so cited urban dictionary to say "hey, I'm not crazy!" and many gamers DO use it in this way.

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 02:54 PM
if youw ant to be technical, the first time i heard the term used was in the 80's. there was a cartoon series on saturday mornings about various atari characters, like pac man, q*bert and donkey kong junior. dk junior used the term. that was the actual first time i heard it used.

I dont think people are really taking you to task for using it, but more that you seem to be thinking there is an issue where there isnt any. both context and its relative obscurity(at least in mmos) on the forum should have indicated that very few would have taken it in the way you are using it.

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Thank you!

No where did I say I use this term, support this term, or think it is the only definition of the word.

I merely was stating it to point out the statement in the newsletter had a different meaning using gaming lingo. Of course if you kept reading there was no confusion on what they meant and of course Cryptic would never purposely insult their players.

I was surprised many people did not hear of the term used in a way other than 'mob', so cited urban dictionary to say "hey, I'm not crazy!" and many gamers DO use it in this way.

I do see the humor in the phrasing (well, now that it's been explained I do; I'm also of the camp that had never heard it before), but I like to think that a vast majority of gamers who do use the term will just look at the phrasing and laugh without thinking it actually means "that". It's a funny headlines moment that gives a chuckle...

And should anyone actually read the article, it will be immediately obvious at what is actually being said...

I, perhaps foolishly, have faith in the intelligence of a majority of the population. What bugs me is that folks that fall into the minority seem to be the folks who end up running the government...

;)

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Ehh. I've heard it in a gaming context before, but generally attribute it to the juvenile mindset of players. Do note, that I'm not saying anything against younger players, just those that refuse to behave in a more adult fashion. Generally, it's done in a mocking fashion that's common amongst people trying to come off as cool (because everyone else is doing it, surely they must), or because they really haven't developed their vocabulary enough to be more specific. :U

I'm generally unsurprised with what people say and how they say them these days - trying to be optimistic about it just sets me up for depression. All ya'lls got some bad habits, ya heard?

(DISCLAIMER: I'm not exactly eloquent myself. :3)

Archived Post
07-03-2011, 09:43 PM
*post deleted by user*

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 01:20 AM
Wow, Flame much?

Rarely actually. I spend most of my time on game forums reading posts about tech problems so I can try to help troubleshoot. Every once awhile I can't hold my tongue on a ridiculous topic... but it's very rare. :p

Dude, seriously?

Back off the Zone@Chat and take it to PM's

She's ours, and she's put in air time.
You're new and untested, i'd vote on chat every time

Uh........ what?! I understood PM, but with sincere apology the rest was gibberish. :confused:

Oh... and I can use a smiley after every single line! :D

So I suppose if any of you want to go flaming me, a PM would probably be best. Rather suprised this topic is even still open. It's so silly, really. Seems the whole "baddies" issue is rather goofy, especially at this point :rolleyes: I'm so done in this thread. blech.

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 01:44 AM
I really don't think this thread should stop until someone insults somebody else's mom. Ready? Go!

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 02:32 AM
i've never heard of other players being referred to that way, either.

Same here - I think it's just that one person assumiong that their pet phrase is universal

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 02:45 AM
Hehe. Unless it's made its way into a real dictionary, I don't think Cryptic owes anyone any adjustments of that sentence ;) They can hardly accommodate every little subculture's expressions, or else they'll be stuck writing in Old English, or something.

I've heard of it used in both senses but had no problem understanding what they meant.

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 04:53 AM
The 1st time i heard "That guy's a bad" was when I was playing the RIFT beta. I also heard things like "rotations" and "macros" and "daily quests". Didn't stay long.

There were quiet a lot of these "tremendously stupid phrase used by gamers" that i heard first in Rift since
maybe 80% of the player there came from WoW i think. I had expected a little more Everquest 2 there :(

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 05:22 AM
I don't believe most of you. I hate the term and will never use it, but to claim you are a gamer of any sort and think "baddies" means enemies has to be a lie. Next you'll be telling me you think "mob" means a group of players, or "add" means I'm breaking out a calculator to do some math. I haven't heard a single person refer to enemies in a game as "baddies" in over a decade and even back then it was only from people trying to be cute.

I read the email and snorted cola out my nose. I guarantee whoever wrote that up knew what the popular meaning was and knew they could get away with using it in that context. It was hilarious, kudos to you.

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 06:15 AM
"Popular meaning" >> Only two people in this entire thread have actually heard baddie used in this context. o-o

I've been playing MMOs for long time. FFXI for 4-5 years, City of Heroes on and off for a few years, Cabal Online for a few months and a number of FTP games in between that I can't even bother listing. Maybe it was just a WoW thing, but this is honestly the first time I've heard 'baddie' refer to anything other than a mob

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 06:20 AM
"Popular meaning" >> Only two people in this entire thread have actually heard baddie used in this context. o-o

I've been playing MMOs for long time. FFXI for 4-5 years, City of Heroes on and off for a few years, Cabal Online for a few months and a number of FTP games in between that I can't even bother listing. Maybe it was just a WoW thing, but this is honestly the first time I've heard 'baddie' refer to anything other than a mob

It's a bit more widespread then just WoW, and it pertains somewhat less to the game in question so much as the communities that it often attracts (in general, it's a term I see a lot in say.. SomethingAwful, 4chan, or similar communities. No offense to people from either community, it's an observation of type). Level of seriousness and intent generally tend to increase frequency - a lot of the time, it's done in a juvenile, mocking fashion (EG: "U mad cuz u bad").

You tend to see it as population increases or price decreases (say, to 'free').

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 07:12 AM

Yeah... I've been playing MMOs since UO first came out and I can easily say I've never heard it. Ever.

Maybe because I avoid the kind of people that use it? I don't know.

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 07:17 AM
....Maybe because I avoid the kind of people that use it? ....

true dat

Archived Post
Maybe because I avoid the kind of people that use it? I don't know.
*plays Link open chest music*

I don't and I have heard it from time to time.

Archived Post
Never heard of it and i have been playing all sorts of MMO's for over 10+ years.

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Never heard of it and i have been playing all sorts of MMO's for over 10+ years.
And I have been an avid gamer for 9+ years and heard it a couple of times.

Gamer. Not MMO player. I'd say an MMO is the last place I would hear it since the crowd that does use the term generally can't afford or aren't allowed by their parents to pay $15 a month on a game. :p

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 07:57 AM
I don't believe most of you. I hate the term and will never use it, but to claim you are a gamer of any sort and think "baddies" means enemies has to be a lie. Next you'll be telling me you think "mob" means a group of players, or "add" means I'm breaking out a calculator to do some math. I haven't heard a single person refer to enemies in a game as "baddies" in over a decade and even back then it was only from people trying to be cute.

That's right, you caught me. I made it all up. When I see the word "baddie" I definitely don't think of enemies. I think of what the OP claims it means... I just didn't want to owe up to it and admit I had heard such a ridiculous use for the word "baddie" before :rolleyes:

[/sarcasm]

PS: I actually use the word "baddie" to refer to enemies most of the time. It's something I started doing RP-ly years ago when my main wanted to be sexy about her going off to fight some enemies, and she would say something like "I'm off to find some baddies in desperate need of spanking"

PS-2: "add" doesn't mean to do math? :confused:

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 08:07 AM
I actually use the word "baddie" to refer to enemies most of the time:

Me too Vision. Plus I never heard that term while playing WOW

-------------------------

But now we know the true meaning we can actually call ourselves proper gamers. Not that my 30 + years of gaming counts for anything :mad:

Oh I forgot we use the term "adds" to mean additional enemies, while using Ventrillo :D
Anyway this thread needs some closure before everyone pitchforks each other.

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 08:11 AM
It's definately a more recent trend, so don't feel too bad all you old-timers. I'll go get your walkers.

...soon as someone finds me my cane and glasses. Can't see a freakin' thing.

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 08:19 AM
It's definately a more recent trend, so don't feel too bad all you old-timers. I'll go get your walkers.

Meh, Im pretty young (I assume) in comparison to what some of you have claimed to be and I've never heard it used in this context either.

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Meh, Im pretty young (I assume) in comparison to what some of you have claimed to be and I've never heard it used in this context either.

How much gaming/general internet exposure do you get on average, would you say? I'm pretty well saturated - even my 'light' internet traffic days, I spend at least 5-6 hours web-surfing or chatting with a wide variety of people (across multiple chat-devices and forums). A lot of it devoted to various types of gaming, all of it varying quality (I don't really post a lot of places anymore).

On top of that, I'm also exposed to a broader variety of sub-groups (the entire gamut. All the gamut.) then average just because I butterfly my way around. In general, I can say the increase in frequency of the specific word usage in the OP (and the reasons why it comes up) tend to happen more frequently less in an MMO setting, and more in a PVP-oriented game setting (FPS, MOBAs, fighting games) and generally it's done to belittle, demean, or deride the person the comment is directed at to feign superiority (I think someone alluded to that earlier, didn't they? Pretending to be in the top 1% by acting like the top 1% and generally not being able to back it up).

A lot of this is likely as that notation makes it sound - trickle down. It's really easy to become an internet celebrity with specific gaming communities by, say, live-streaming and being competitive. Which has a tendency to inflate ego and increase the rate at which the person in question is likely to be a tool (PennyArcade Internet <explicitive> Theory: Average Person + Anonymity + Audience = Total Jackwagon) to other people, and occasionally increase in the specific juvenile terminology applies (again, to mock the person the comments are aimed at).

The MMO community tends to waffle between being too large (games like WoW) that feed off of so many sources that cross-terminology becomes standard or small enough to stay mostly close knit (WAR) and generate it's own culture-specific terminology. If you mostly stick to smaller games, you're more likely to have less exposure to cross-genre terminology, and in particular if you don't make much of an effort to deal with the community at large (sticking to smaller portions of it - supergroups, just the forums, etc.).

Aaall of this is of course theory based on subjective data. I'm certainly likely to be wrong on a lot of it, but I think I'm at least in the ballpark for shooting blind right? Though I rambled like a boss all up inz.

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 08:56 AM
You crazy kids quit messing up the language with your gutter speak and double talk. And stay off my lawn! (shakes fists)

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 09:02 AM
You crazy kids quit messing up the language with your gutter speak and double talk. And stay off my lawn! (shakes fists)

D: But it's greener on your laaaawn.

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 09:06 AM
D: But it's greener on your laaaawn.
Also todays old folks own harmless chihuahuas.
Now the old old people used to have nasty killer dogs. Learn from the past!

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Also todays old folks own harmless chihuahuas.
Now the old old people used to have nasty killer dogs. Learn from the past!

And get bigger dogs?

:( But they're scary.

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Well, i'll try and list all the forums and stuff I've been on / been a part of:

Xkcd Forums
Unreal Engine 2 - UDK Forums
Champs Forum
League of Legends Forum

and many more but I can't remember 7 years of this stuff X(

Mmo's I have played:

WoW
WAR
Champs
Hellgate: Eternity beta (didn't even finish tutorial)
Rift
DCUO
Global Agenda
Forsaken World

And many more...

And get bigger dogs?

I have a newfoundland !!!!

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm surprised you didn't see it more often in Global Agenda, to be honest... or the LoL forums. They throw that word around like it was cash monies at a strip joint.

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 09:54 AM

I have been gaming more or less continuously since dig dug in '82. and i do think its a communities thing. i have seen a lot of mention of online competitive shooters using the term, last one of those i played was outriggers on the dreamcast. as for mmos i have played a very high portion of them, but save for this one and coh and maybe phantasy star online/universe and dream of mirror online, I really never was as involved with the community as to hit the boards and listen to all the rumblings. maybe that is my problem.

i also avoid pvp and its communities like the plague, so yuri's conjuncture helps explain my lack of exposure..

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 09:57 AM
I don't necessarily think that's a problem, so much as a side-benefit to be honest. Just because you're not up on the latest lingo doesn't mean nuthin' as long as you're having fun with the time you are spending in the game. That, and the latest lingo almost always seems kind of dumb in the first place (I still prefer more specific terms, dunno why a generic 'bad' is suddenly the 'in' thing other then it is. Beyond reasons listed).

As long as the people we hang out with on a regular basis grok our chatter, it's all gravy.

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Well, "baddies," has been, and still is, used as a shortened form of, "Bad Guys," since before online gaming (in its current form at least) existed. Since it is a current term associated with the genre CO is tied to, and the source provided to indicate that it has another meaning ties it to such fringe elements as fans of a musical artist whose mainstream career was essentially over a decade before the term was coined for that useage, and since only a very small fraction of the people here were aware the alternate meaning existed, I'll stick with the phrase's more widespread meaning.

OP, none of this is meant to bash you.

BTW, I mentioned this to a friend who is a bit more internet saavy than I. His response was that he could edit Wiki to say that the definition of Urban Dictionary was, "a place where people make up stupid new uses for existing words on the fly."

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 01:54 PM
To me the more important thing is not how widely know is it, but that those that do know it not use it here is CO. I would rather not go around calling players baddies but help them improve and use the term in the more positive way that some of us know it by. Me for one if I hear some one say player X is a baddie, I am going to respond with " So what group is he in? Purple Gang? Is he working for Doc D? Oh maybe he is a minion of Mechanon on Earth!"

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 02:15 PM
*post deleted by user*

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm surprised you didn't see it more often in Global Agenda, to be honest... or the LoL forums. They throw that word around like it was cash monies at a strip joint.

Hey we don't use that kind of language on the LoL foru... Oh... You meant... Yeah. Carry on. :p

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Hey we don't use that kind of language on the LoL foru... Oh... You meant... Yeah. Carry on. :p
Oh you...

Seriously, even shaco has a fan club these days, I mean today in tf2 the enemy spies got my name as a disguise 7 people in a row, jeez, talk about fanboys. By the end of the game everytime I walked round a corner my entire team opened fire on me XD

Archived Post
07-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Wow. You guys know it's not even just gaming either right? (Unintelligent) Gamers have just adopted it, worldwide, in every game. It's such a common use of the word it's even in proper dictionaries. Forget urban dictionary, check dictionary.com.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/baddy

I even hear on TV all the time, especially on comedy central. I think Tosh throws it around like confetti.

You must be desperately hiding from mainstream society to honestly not know the word. I wouldn't blame you if you are, in fact I'd like to hear tips on how you do it.

Archived Post
07-05-2011, 01:13 AM
Wow. You guys know it's not even just gaming either right? (Unintelligent) Gamers have just adopted it, worldwide, in every game. It's such a common use of the word it's even in proper dictionaries. Forget urban dictionary, check dictionary.com.

I even hear on TV all the time, especially on comedy central. I think Tosh throws it around like confetti.

You must be desperately hiding from mainstream society to honestly not know the word. I wouldn't blame you if you are, in fact I'd like to hear tips on how you do it.

AH thanks for the link. I see it's common spelling is 'Baddy' that explains everything. Although by the looks you can spell it both ways.

I guess I've never heard it before because I'm from the UK and we don't get comedy central. So is it solely an American phrase?

You would think us British were used to words having several meanings, just look at our dictionary :D

Archived Post
07-05-2011, 04:43 AM
Sanati the dictionary.com view could be used either way. A bad person could be a criminal or a bad player. I personalty think more people would know it as the criminal Bad guy meaning rather then the bad player. I think a lot of people are not saying it is not used the way you know more of we have not heard it that any and personalty I will not use it that was as I do not care to put down other players.

Archived Post
07-05-2011, 05:12 AM

How exactly does your link suggest the meaning of a bad player?

baddie or baddy (ˈbædɪ)

— n , pl -dies
a bad character in a story, film, etc, esp an opponent of the hero

baddy or baddy

— n

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
Cite This Source
Slang Dictionary

baddy definition
[ˈbædi]
and baddie
n.
a bad thing or person. : Using butter is supposed to be a real “baddy.” , Don't be such a baddie. Tell me you just love my hair!
Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions by Richard A. Spears.Fourth Edition.
Copyright 2007. Published by McGraw Hill.
Cite This Source

The first definition is exactly what the majority of us think baddy means and the latter is similar. If you replace the term 'baddie with 'villain' in the example, it makes sense, but if you replace it with a' 'bad videogamer' it doesn't. The slang term refers to an evil nature, not an inability to play videogames. But thanks for proving yourself wrong :p

Archived Post
07-05-2011, 05:28 AM
Yes, because using butter is evil.

Archived Post
07-05-2011, 05:56 AM
I said replace baddie, not baddy, with villain in your 'proof'. In other words not in the definition used in the butter example which used baddy. In any case, how does butter being a potentially unhealthy choice suggest the term 'baddie' means a poor videogamer? I could argue in the butter example the implication is that butter is bad for you and thus evil, but I fail to see how you could claim it supports your argument, although I would accept a slab of butter would have difficulty in killing anyone in an online game, unless they stepped on it. I may be onto something here, we should ask for a new power tree, based on grease powers. I have a concept in mind, called Lard Ass :rolleyes:

Archived Post
07-05-2011, 06:22 AM
Bad person. Bad at what? If you are playing a video game there's only one choice. A "baddy" in a video game is a player who is bad at the game.

Baddy is the proper singular, baddies is the plural, though baddie is also an alternate spelling for the singular and seems to be used more often. Though I think these days kids mostly just shorten it to "bad" and "bads." "He's a bad." "Why do I keep getting bads in my pugs?" Sounds even worse doesn't it? I blame cellphones.

I'm not arguing "enemy" isn't a valid definition, it's just not what a lot of people are going to think of immediately when reading the email in question. I mean if the email said "Come back and kill some baddies, old and new!" That would be more clear, but the wording in the email immediately made me think of the free-to-play community, which usually has a pretty bad rep. Especially since they used horrible marketing talk like inserting "free-to-play" right there in the middle of the sentence in case anyone didn't know the game was free-to-play.

Archived Post
07-05-2011, 07:14 AM
Totally sidestepping the fact your example has blown up in your face are you? Well lets deal with your next attempt. A bad person does not imply they are bad at doing anything. A bad videogamer could mean they are bad at playing the game or that they are playing as a villain, but a bad person could not mean that they are bad at being a person, merely their nature is bad ie they tend towards evil. To use your analogy would imply they were inept at being a person, ie incapable of fulfilling the role. Technically, I would accept a corpse could be a bad person by your definition. ;)

Archived Post
07-05-2011, 07:42 AM
A bad videogamer could mean they are bad at playing the game

Thanks.

10chars

Archived Post
07-05-2011, 08:30 AM
You know I thought this post would have died by now. Most people who have posted didn't know baddie was some new internet slang so they saw the message in the news letter mentioned by the OP meant evil doers. Yet some people seem to think that the message was meant to have two meanings one the internet slang for a bad player (highly controversial insulting some of your player base) the other meaning villains.

I have to say the only person that can say what they meant was the writer of said news letter. This post is just speculation on both sides. Though I think if the writer did mean to insult the less than elite section of players in the game cryptic did not have knowledge or would have stopped the news letter. They may even have disiplined the writer. Which makes me think any intellegent writer would not have used the slang meaning to avoid disiplinary action.

I may be wrong this is my opinion. Yet it does not change the fact that all of this post is speculation about which context a word is being used in. The fact I have never come across the slang meaning does not mean it does not exist. I know many slang words that others in different groups don't know. So to me baddie means the opposite of a goodie and the goodies sing the funky gibbon ( type the goodies, funky gibbon into you tube and laugh:D) Look another word that has many meanings :D

Archived Post
07-05-2011, 08:42 AM
A "baddy" in a video game is a player who is bad at the game.

i always thought bad players were called scrubs...

Archived Post
07-05-2011, 08:46 AM
This thread is being closed due to a high volume of content the violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies (http://forums.champions-online.com/announcement.php?f=170&a=8) ~GM Tiyshen