PDA

View Full Version : Is ego blades even viable anymore in pvp?

Archived Post
05-09-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm playing an ego blades character in pvp, level 40 and I just am getting completely destroyed.
It seems I can sit there with a higher dps / squishy build and wail on a target for 30 seconds without even really seeing their health bar hardly move and yet then have that same more defensive type turn on me and just destroy me /boggle.
Numbers wise it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, I have a few other toons that are ranged base that I do great with in pvp but I just can't nail this ego blades character to make it anything more than a feeding tube of points for the enemy team.

Rather than complaining and demanding a buff to the build I'd instead like to take any suggestions for a good melee based ego blades themed build?
If figure I must be doing something horribly wrong so if anyone has a build they've done with ego blades that works well then I'm all ears.

Archived Post
05-09-2011, 12:36 PM
You might want to wait a bit to retcon this character. The TK powerset is being reviewed currently on the test server and is due some (hopefully for the better) changes.

Archived Post
05-09-2011, 02:56 PM
You might want to wait a bit to retcon this character. The TK powerset is being reviewed currently on the test server and is due some (hopefully for the better) changes.

Noted. Good to hear they're working on it, didn't have much of an issue in pve (given I had to liberally extend reach into other sets) but pvp... ugh... was just painful.

Archived Post
05-10-2011, 02:59 PM
I would not count on the TK pass to be honest. if the test server is any indication of how succesful they were, then you might as well just use the free retcon your going to get and try something completely different. They did NOT make it any more PvP friendly. Log into the test server your self and test it out though. Maybe you will like what they did (almost nothing).

Ego blades how they are can be buffed to some degree of damage. Grab ego form and SS DEX/EGO, grab ego choke, and EBB. hold em with the choke, then run up on em with the breach. Does nice damage to squishies, but loses effectiveness to tanks. Still has small potential though. Also, I would ask VegetableKnife for advice, as they are the only viable ego blader I have seen in some time.

Archived Post
05-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Ego blades aren't horrible -- EBB is sort of a second tier power, outperformed by dragon's wrath and dragon's claws, but it's not completely bad -- but they aren't particularly good, and ego form is horrible.

Archived Post
05-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Ego blades aren't horrible -- EBB is sort of a second tier power, outperformed by dragon's wrath and dragon's claws, but it's not completely bad -- but they aren't particularly good, and ego form is horrible.

I wonder how it would be if the debuff on EBB still worked like it used to ? :rolleyes::D:cool::mad:

Archived Post
05-10-2011, 04:28 PM
I would not count on the TK pass to be honest. if the test server is any indication of how succesful they were, then you might as well just use the free retcon your going to get and try something completely different. They did NOT make it any more PvP friendly. Log into the test server your self and test it out though. Maybe you will like what they did (almost nothing).

I would not base a decision on the first pass of a framework on test. The first pass at Tk Blades was an attempt to create a new Ego Leech energy return mechanic. Nothing else changed. This is very similar to the way the Electricity changes went. First pass reinvented the Negative Ions mechanic, and people were freaking out about how Electricity was the worst powerset in the game. In the end, it turned out pretty well.

EDIT: I may have to eat my words. The "second pass" was more useless than the first.

Archived Post
05-10-2011, 04:30 PM
I wonder how it would be if the debuff on EBB still worked like it used to ? :rolleyes::D:cool::mad:
Yeah, I think slapping 100% defense debuffs on people would get people scared fairly quickly. Particularly since the debuff would also help ego storm and ebon ruin.

Archived Post
05-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I think slapping 100% defense debuffs on people would get people scared fairly quickly. Particularly since the debuff would also help ego storm and ebon ruin.

I kinda wish they would do that.

I'd follow Karma around and tag people near him with the debuff. >_>

The kill-score (coming from him, anyway) would shatter reality. :D

Archived Post
05-13-2011, 11:55 PM
My main level 40 is a Ego Blade toon as well, and I do love her in PvE, but when it comes to PvP, she's definitely a hit & run toon - stealthing in & out of attacks. However, put an Ego Blader up against a tank, or someone running a defensive passive, and you've lost all hope.

Sure, in PvE I can hit for 7k+ per hit (since EBB hits twice, that's around 13k a hit), however, using the same mechanics, people can do the same, if not better in both PvE and PvP with other attacks, such as Dragon's Wrath.

What TK Blade needs is more then just a energy return mechanic. I have a huge amount of energy to rely on via LIVE right now (though I'm not complaining, more energy is better then nothing). What it needs is some sort of debuff via another power that only benefits ego powers. The 100% defense debuff was overpowering, yes, but that was because it was made for any power in the Ego framework.

Right now I rely on EBB and Ego Form from the TK framework, NOTHING else. It's a lackluster framework, and I hope the pass is looked at more thoroughly. State your opinions to the devs, guys!!!

Archived Post
05-18-2011, 11:54 AM
I have one Ego Form toon I'm really enjoying right now, but that build is reliant on the Brainscrambler power replacer for low-energy offense. EBB is just a complimentary power. TK Eruption is great but I don't try to get damage with it, just the buffs. Ego Surge+adv is sweet. I'd use Ego Blade Frenzy but I have the modified Lead Tempest, and I need the power slots.

Ego Form's extra damage mitigation (i.e. both paranormal and physical) combined with the bump in mitigation from TK Eruption is much better mitigation than the usual squishies. Add some fear from Void Shift and some CON and I'm not glass. (There is also a damage debuff on the Brainscrambler that may still work). Very vulnerable to KB though.

Archived Post
06-02-2011, 08:29 AM
I kinda wish they would do that.

I'd follow Karma around and tag people near him with the debuff. >_>

The kill-score (coming from him, anyway) would shatter reality. :D

aww.. thanks. There has to be a power somewhere in the mentalist set that removes defenses that can't be cherry-picked. The set just doesn't do enough damage anywhere. So make it a 3-4 power combo.. must have reverb/ passive AND the power for it to work.

Archived Post
06-02-2011, 09:00 AM
I ditched my Ego Form for Shadow Form on my Psi-Gunner. :(
Here's hoping the TK pass happens, with something cool emerging.

Archived Post
06-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Shadowform/TK gunning was a fun build, but the damage felt really low when I tried it most recently. I blame the fact that I didn't have a good replacer.

Vesp's been doing okay, the few times I've queued SH on her since I came back. I can at break even. Not saying much, but eh. I'll take what I can get. At least I farm like a ****?

Archived Post
06-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Shadowform/TK gunning was a fun build, but the damage felt really low when I tried it most recently. I blame the fact that I didn't have a good replacer.

Vesp's been doing okay, the few times I've queued SH on her since I came back. I can at break even. Not saying much, but eh. I'll take what I can get. At least I farm like a ****?

I swap energy sniper rifle with it. With a blue level 39 sniper rifle, I can get crits over 11k without a big setup. With the blue level 38 brainscrambler, I can crit over 1.1 k. Very fun to play, and the fastest SL farmer I can think up (rk 3 Lead Tempest, crits close to 1k)

DEX/EGO (with CON, REC), Shadow Form, Avenger
DT+adv
Ego Surge+adv (50% crit chance)
Lock and Load + adv (40% crit chance)
TK Eruption+adv

Archived Post
06-03-2011, 12:58 PM
I swap energy sniper rifle with it. With a blue level 39 sniper rifle, I can get crits over 11k without a big setup. With the blue level 38 brainscrambler, I can crit over 1.1 k. Very fun to play, and the fastest SL farmer I can think up (rk 3 Lead Tempest, crits close to 1k)

DEX/EGO (with CON, REC), Shadow Form, Avenger
DT+adv
Ego Surge+adv (50% crit chance)
Lock and Load + adv (40% crit chance)
TK Eruption+adv

Yeah, I was stuck with a level 40 white. It took me a while to even come up with a character that psi gunning would suit. Was wondering how well the energy sniper rifle stacked up with that kind of a build- got a green one sitting in the bank that I was thinking about using for consoles in Resistance on Vesp. Might pop it on my gunner when I get a better scrambler to play with.

Archived Post
06-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Been an avid fan of Ego Blade powers since long time ago.

Although I'm hardly as good as some of the better TK players like Don or Veg, and although just recently back from a long, long hiatus - I still may have some tips which I may offer, mostly coming from numerous experimentations of a variety of builds.

The conclusion I've come to, whether be it offensive or defensive passive build, is that the basics of TK lies in the Hit-and-Run, as it has already been mentioned: although one really should note that usually an offensive build using Ego Form is so low in general survivability that the intensity of the principle of "Hit-And-Run" required in this case can easily amount upto the classic "Bubble Punch - Run Like a Greased Pig" level, which usually breeds contempt and stress amongst players.

Another thing to note, is that despite such extreme "Hit-And-Run" methods show a certain amount of efficiency in almost any case, the risks and dangers of a typical TK build which is oriented around melee attacks considerably elevates the risk of mistakes, accidents, and some damned-fine moves from the targetted enemy - that it almost always carries the dangers of being retaliation - which usually leads to the tables turning at a whim and to your death.

In this aspect, I have noticed some powers show considerably higher efficiency for a TK build than others.

Kinetic Darts and Acrobatics
- In my personal experimentation, Kinetic Darts have proven to be almost always more effective than the melee EB. Before the actual implementation of the melee EB, I've actually written some articles on how it might be better for TK if we had a melee EB which would activate the ES@LK - except in practice, I now realized that Kinetic Darts gave me such high mobility while building energy.

- Assuming the circumstances that you've located the enemy before he noticed you, and you've landed your lunge-type travel remover first, an immediate micro-control after the hit can place you at a distance which is outside melee range, but not more than 20ft. In this case the most common immediate retaliation - the enemy using his own lunge-type travel remover - will remove your travel power but will not root you. In this case the residual buff from ACRO@Versatility places you at signigicant mobility despite the travel being removed, at least until it can be used again. During this moment comes a gigantic disparity in movement speeds between you and the enemy, in which case Kinetic Darts can be used upto its full potential - building your E and (possibly) setting up the energy form to activate ID blades, if you require it.

- Ofcourse, this would also warrant the use of Acrobatics with the Versatility advantage, in which case is the proverbial life-saver for a TK build. Acrobatics@Versatility also offers a good advantage in that you are able to move at high speeds with your block up. I cannot stress how many times this saved my skin.

Ego Choke and Empathic Healing
* Another power which I've come to use extensively over other similar ones, is Ego Choke and Empathic Healing. Although both Ego Choke and Ego Hold can be activated during movement, and despite Ego Hold having a slightly longer control time, a full maintained Ego Choke still gives you enough time to charge up powers, as well as the immediate damage component may crit with each tick - adding an extra amount of damage at range is always welcome with a melee-oriented toon which must paradoxically rely on Hit-And-Run tactics which minimizes your contact with the enemy.

* Another life saver which I've not realized before, is Empathic Healing, although it is a telepathy power. While the healing amount is small compared to some other healing powers, it is fortunate that EH was changed to not cancel despite being under attack. Another incredible aspect is that EH can be maintained on the run. Combine this with Acro@Versatility and usually nothing short of a true Root power can stop you from running away and healing upto max health. Things are looking bad? Hold down EH and RUUUUUN!!

Although these methods may be utilized with any melee toon, for most this would be a slight addition to their already powerful build. For squishy TK blades, it may mean life or death.

Archived Post
06-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Oh, and to answer the OP, Ego Blades is still viable in PvP. But unlike other melee powers, (yes, I mean that damned Hold-DW thing :rolleyes:) it needs a lot of planning and setting up before and after execution.

* An offensive build using Ego Form is usually powerful enough to absolutely decimate even the toughest of enemies, but it needs so much consideration towards survivability. If you are not into the classic, sleazy, back-stabbing tactic of "always engage someone already engaged, and run away at the first sign of resistance", this means it needs a very high level of walking-on-knives type of maneuvering which the slightest mistake will either knock you off your feet, or root you, or hold you - in which case usually leads to immediate death.

* While it may seem heretic, using defensive passives actually offers a very interesting fight in most cases. Most usually the favorite choice being LR, due to many TK builds relying on crits to make up for the lack of damage due to using a defensive passive, the extra survivability offers you the critical time you absolutely require to prepare for your main attack. A very typical, basic set-up consists of using the combination of Hold, Collective Will and Ego Placate. It also makes maneuvering much more viable. The ever consistent task at hand for an Ego Blade toon using defensive passives, is finding ways to offset the damage you have given up for survivability. Defensive passives is actually a very interesting choice.

Archived Post
06-17-2011, 04:41 AM
Ego blade is viable, end of story.