PDA

View Full Version : how can I buy a Lifetime sub for a buddy with an account already?

Archived Post
01-26-2011, 07:30 PM
I have been wondering for a while. I have the means, but he has the game already, so...how does that work? Do I buy it, get a code, then apply it to his account?

Archived Post
01-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Unless he gives you access to his account, you can't.

Archived Post
01-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Hand him a check for 300 bucks (or whatever, 240, is it still on sale? not the point anyway), with the words "champions online life time subscription" in the memo line.

There isn't anyway to surprise him with it already being applied to his account though.

Archived Post
01-26-2011, 08:50 PM
You can let him have your credit / debit card / paypal account details for him to make the transaction on his own. It depends how close your friend is to you and how much you trust him of course.

Or depending on how much he trusts you, he can change his password to a temporary one, let you log in to his account using that temporary password, then have him change his password back to the previous when you have completed the lifetime purchase for him.

I would suggest contacting Cryptic first though to see if they can make special arrangements.

Archived Post
01-27-2011, 01:32 AM
Since its pretty much indistinguishable from someone using a hacked account or stolen card to buy an account for themselves, unrelated to the owner of record of the card/account, I'm sure you can see why they don't really facilitate the procces.

I helped my roommate pay for his (I bought half). Handing the person money works surprisingly well :).

Archived Post
01-27-2011, 08:38 AM
Why don't you just let him sign in, move out tha way, buy it for him, and presto?

-Pi

Archived Post
01-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Why don't you just let him sign in, move out tha way, buy it for him, and presto?

-Pi

Yeah I was thinking just let him sign in one day on the computer and sneak and buy a LTS and bam. =]

Archived Post
01-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Just before your friend has to do something, like go to work, ask if you can use his account for something. Come up with a reason you may need to 2 box.

However, if you are successful in getting his account info and "stealth" purchasing the LTS, I would suggest you remember to remove your Credit Card info immediately afterwards; otherwise he may accidently buy C-Store stuff on your card...

BTW, you're an awesome friend!

:)

Edit: It's not as fun, but you could also get a pre paid credit card and load the $240 on it. Then just give him the card...

Archived Post
01-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Just before your friend has to do something, like go to work, ask if you can use his account for something. Come up with a reason you may need to 2 box.

However, if you are successful in getting his account info and "stealth" purchasing the LTS, I would suggest you remember to remove your Credit Card info immediately afterwards; otherwise he may accidently buy C-Store stuff on your card...

:)

Edit: It's not as fun, but you could also get a pre paid credit card and load the $240 on it. Then just give him the card...

I want to get it now, for the deal, so I can't wait until his b day.

Archived Post
01-27-2011, 11:36 PM
I'm sure Cryptic will be more than willing to take your money if you tell them which account you want the LTS applied to. You'll probablly need to contact billing though.

Archived Post
01-28-2011, 01:02 AM
Good idea Grand Nagus, that's why you get paid the big gold pressed latunum.

For any dev monitoring this thread, here is the ticket number submited #1039277.

Archived Post
01-28-2011, 04:40 AM
I'm sure Cryptic will be more than willing to take your money if you tell them which account you want the LTS applied to. You'll probablly need to contact billing though.

I wouldn't be too sure about that actually. It really depends on their billing policies. The thing about the card # is that it actually does give you some of the identifying information for the account, so they will most likely still want to have the original account holder validate information before letting you do anything on behalf of the account.

It's kinda funny, when I was worked for a bank, we couldn't accept payments from people not on the account over the phone for much that reason. They could mail a check, and afaik we didn't care [the official policy was probably that it wouldn't be accepted, but they typically were anyway].

The best way [in general] that I've seen to do this with MMOs is have your friend log into their account, and then you enter your information and pay for it. Either through a virtual desktop or through physical location. Other methods [them giving you their info, etc] can be seen as TOS violations (transfer/lending of account). And while nothing will likely happen from it, it's best to follow the rules y'know :).

Archived Post
01-28-2011, 05:08 AM
Good idea Grand Nagus, that's why you get paid the big gold pressed latunum.

For any dev monitoring this thread, here is the ticket number submited #1039277.

If this works let the forumites know. I've seen this pop up on occasion and I'm sure there are others that would like to know how to successfully purchase items for friends.

It would be nice it they just gave an option in the purchase screen to:

1. Apply to current account
2. Provide Key

By providing a Key, you could email bought items (costumes, name change tokens, costume slots, etc) to friends, use C-Store items as prizes in things like costume contests, or use them on another account (for those with multiple accounts).

Archived Post
01-28-2011, 11:10 AM
If this works let the forumites know. I've seen this pop up on occasion and I'm sure there are others that would like to know how to successfully purchase items for friends.

It would be nice it they just gave an option in the purchase screen to:

1. Apply to current account
2. Provide Key

By providing a Key, you could email bought items (costumes, name change tokens, costume slots, etc) to friends, use C-Store items as prizes in things like costume contests, or use them on another account (for those with multiple accounts).

This is what I am hoping that they would do. Makes a lot of things more streamlined, for the sake of gifts, and without any issues.

Archived Post
01-28-2011, 11:17 AM
This is directly related to an issue that I have had and brought up before, I really think we need to have a system for being able to gift things (cryptic points, sub options, etc) to our fellow players. I know for me personally, there would be many months where I would double down on my cryptic points purchased, just because I want to give points to friends who have been wanting to purchase things.

Archived Post
01-28-2011, 02:49 PM
I am trying to get him one and the freaking subscription server is down. :mad:

Also, the new forms, don't like Chrome browser...

Archived Post
01-28-2011, 06:29 PM

no kidding!!! you beat me to saying that :D my friends all seem to suck now....

Archived Post
01-28-2011, 09:31 PM
It seems that the website is borked as to why I can't do it. I Talked/typed to tech support via live chat at bit and they said that it would be paypal, and I called Paypal and the person on the other side says that they didn't get any info. My suspisons are a bit confermed by the lack of the Atari papal page poping up.

Pain in my hind quarters... I even cleared my DNS and Cookies, and spoiled the suprise to find out how to do it. Not knocking support of the game or the site, I just think something is up with how billing is working right now. I mean. I am trying to give you money and there is no where to put it.

Archived Post
01-31-2011, 12:22 AM
Okay final update from me.

I know the problem now, somebody tell diamonds. The account page for updating a subscription is busted. The link in the news section for the lifetime sub thing works, but the account page for the site is not updating properly. The game says he has one. So congrats Cryptic, you have another lifer to spread the gospel.

Archived Post
01-31-2011, 12:51 AM
Hey everyone, I'm the guy that Nexus was referring to and I thank him for the early birthday gift. You're awesome dude! ;)

Now, I just need to get my computer working again and WOOOT! :D