PDA

View Full Version : FPS drops after some time of play

Archived Post
01-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Hi everyone, at first time, i would like to say sorry for my poor english. I know, everybody say that, and never try to learm right, but its this... :P

My problem:

When i get in into the game, i can play good.
After some time, maybe 1 hour more or less, the FPS drops a lot, and i need to exit the game, and start this again, to get the norma FPS.
Can someone give me a advice about this ?
I have that problem with Server not responding sometimes, but theres no connection with the other problem, i think, cause i have this in different times.

Things to know:
- My computer can run the game fine, im using the best configuration.
- I play from Brazil, so, i think could be a network problem, (the thing about server not responding)
- Im using Win 7
- Ive enough memory to play the game fine (4GB)
- My connection its not the best one, but im above the medium, i think ( ADSL 2 mb )
- Like other comments, i can play others games, fine. (Wow, Lotro, CoH, etc...)

Any tips, ideas, blames, etc ???

Thx all.

Archived Post
01-23-2011, 06:21 PM
A network connection shouldn't cause frame rate drops.

What you describe sounds like it could be a classic memory leak problem, except that as far as I know, this game doesn't have meaningful memory leaks.

Another potential issue is poor airflow in your case, causing it to overheat after other hardware heats up the interior of your case.

Attach your DxDiag file and let's see what you've got.

Also, how many case fans do you have, and how are they positioned? Also, check to make sure that none of them are covered, and all of them work. A visual inspection is enough to make sure a fan works: just look at the fan when the computer is on and you can see if it's running. You should also check your video card, processor, and power supply fans to make sure that they work. This is as simple as opening the case, then turning the computer on, and looking to see if the fans are spinning.

You should probably also check to see if your case is really dusty. If everything is caked in dust, then that can cause overheating.

Archived Post
01-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Interestingly, I've noticed a simiar problem to a lesser degree. Early on in the game, my FPS pushes about 60. Intense play can drop it to 30. After a time, it seems to cap back out at 45. If I restart the game, I can reclaim those missing 15 FPS.

Case is an Antec 900. Two 120mm intakes, one 120mm exhaust, one 200mm top exhaust. Then the video card is a Sapphire Vapor-X cooler (no game heats it up as much as CO, interestingly). Corsair 750TX. Beastly (quiet) Noctua on the CPU. Airflow is pretty steady, keep it well de-dusted.

Updated my drivers to 10.10e today. Was going to go 10.11, but an AMD Catalyst dev Twitter suggested sticking with 10.10e. 10.12 is avoided because it causes BSODs on 5850 cards when the monitor goes into sleep.

I never knew this forum had an attachment quota. Guess I'll have to link it. (http://largeangryrobot.webs.com/DxDiag.txt)

It was actually today's 10.10e update that pushed my idle game FPS up to a steady 60. 45 FPS is entirely playable, though, so my problem isn't anywhere near as important as this fellow's. Just thought it might be a bit of food for thought.

And yes, I'm still thinking about those SSDs. :]

Archived Post
01-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Dropping from 60 frames per second to 30 shouldn't be overheating. I was thinking more along the lines of dropping the frame rate into the single digits.

I've got a Radeon HD 5850 as well, and am running Catalyst 10.12. That fixed the cursor corruption bug that afflicts this game. I've never had my computer blue screen, or crash in any other way, for that matter, so I'm not sure what BSOD glitch you're talking about.

I haven't noticed any frame rate drop in this game from being online for a long time, and I'm pretty finicky about high frame rates. The only ways that I know of to reliably cause frame rate drops without turning video settings unreasonably high is to either turn on controller support or blow up all of the racks of missiles at once in the mission Bugs in the Contraband.

Try checking how much system memory the game is using after you get the slowdowns.

Archived Post
01-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Okay, here are my DxDiag.

I dont think its a problem with overheating, cause if its that the problem, even i restart the game, the problem could persist, dont you think ?

Anyway, my case is clean, i mean, at last its not filled with dust... =)
Btw i keep the case opened, cause we have summer here, and the things tend to get hot sometimes... =)
But i can affirm, over heating its not the problem... :P

I will keep searching for any advice about that... :P
i suspect this could be a memory problem, which when i restart the client, the memory get flushed, and the things start to run smooth again. Maybe i should try any soft to control a memory cleaning or something, no ?

Thanks all for the advices, i will keep looking here, for any new advices... =)

Archived Post
01-23-2011, 07:00 PM
There's a reported bug with 10.12 on 5850's that, if you have the monitor set to power down, can cause BSODs. Mine's got a 10 minute screen power down because I'm prone to walk away. Of course, it probably doesn't happen to everybody, but the 10.10e's are working pretty well. I might try them shortly anyway. Nothing that can't be swept up and reverted. Haven't had any cursor issues, though. Go figure.

I'm just wondering where those 15 FPS go. Silky smooth 60 FPS is nice, but I'm okay with 45 as long as it doesn't tear a lot. Tearing bothers me.

I've also seen the spike with blowing up the warheads. It's...delightfully silly.

Didn't mean to hijack, though. Sorry.

Archived Post
01-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Display Memory: 749 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2034 MB
Shared Memory: 2811 MB

That's bizarre. Normally, display memory is dedicated plus shared. For example, here's mine:

Display Memory: 2801 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1014 MB
Shared Memory: 1787 MB

Yet you've somehow got less total display memory than you have dedicated alone, let alone shared. That makes me suspect that something is wrong with your video card, and that could be causing the improper performance.

Or it could simply be a 32-bit data type overflow. 2034+2811 = 749 (mod 4096). If it's nothing more than an arithmetic bug on the part of the DxDiag program, then the card should be fine. Cards with 2 GB of dedicated video memory aren't yet common, though Cayman is trying to change that.

Archived Post
01-24-2011, 02:16 AM
That's bizarre. Normally, display memory is dedicated plus shared. For example, here's mine:

Yet you've somehow got less total display memory than you have dedicated alone, let alone shared. That makes me suspect that something is wrong with your video card, and that could be causing the improper performance.

Or it could simply be a 32-bit data type overflow. 2034+2811 = 749 (mod 4096). If it's nothing more than an arithmetic bug on the part of the DxDiag program, then the card should be fine. Cards with 2 GB of dedicated video memory aren't yet common, though Cayman is trying to change that.

GammaBreaker DxDiag have the same arrange of information, dont know if its a real problem. :P
But thanks anyway.

Archived Post
01-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Well, this is W7 64-bit. It's an uncommon card, in that it's a 2 GB 5850. Apparently there weren't many of them. I ought to look into that though. Catalyst registers 2GB on the card. Any diagnostic I should consider to find out if it's an arithmetic bug or a genuine problem?

The memory seems to add up properly on yours, Seth.

EDIT: Ran the 64-bit version of DXDiag, same values.

Archived Post
02-04-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm also having an occasional framerate drop, from 60+ down to around 20. Nothing fixes it except for a full reboot (not closing all open applications from taskbar, system tray, etc.). This doesn't happen to me in any other video game, and when it's happening in CO, if I close CO and open another game, that game is fine. My only gut instinct on it is that I alt-tab a lot, and maybe somehow that's causing an issue over time, but that's mostly speculation.

Windows 7 64-bit
Nvidia GTX 560

DxDiag: http://pastebin.com/B1CfVzGz
DxDiag64: http://pastebin.com/mgi8KtEE

Archived Post
02-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Your card is probably overheating. I remember many people having this issue with some Nvidia cards. Download and run GPU-Z and have the sensors log while inactive and write to a file. Then play the game. Once you get the FPS drop check the data from GPU-Z and see where your temps are. I suspect you'll find at least one of them to be very high.

BTW, it's against forum policy to resurrect threads older than 30 days. You might want to start a new one.