PDA

View Full Version : Might/Single blade builds?

Archived Post
10-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Hey all, returning player CO, I've been toying with the Idea of might/singleblade melee dps. going for liek and Avenging angel type theme. I havent been able to find much on the subject. Anyone have good/bad experiance with this type of build?

Archived Post
10-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Scything Blade/Swallowtail Cut works well with pretty much any set, and certainly would with Might. After that it's a question of how hard you want to push Single Blade, because Might has so much synergy in its own set.

Claws perhaps has better synergy with Might, since Imbue works so well with Dragon's Claws.

Supernatural Bestial is more frequently mentioned with Single Blade, because of the bleed and slashing synergy.

Archived Post
10-28-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Skeeter, I'm still mulling over some builds. Im trying to get something together that synergizes well and fit together in a theme.

Archived Post
10-29-2010, 01:28 AM
Main thing you want to look at when you're going for two sets as being your "main" sets, is whether things will be overlapping. Unless it offers some synergy (ie haymaker + uppercut giving you enrage stacks, or bleeds stacking then being ruptured), you don't need two single target damage attacks. And there really aren't any synergies across might and single blade. But having one that is specced towards utility rather than simply damage could be useful as well. As mentioned, having swallowtail cut to give you a DoT, then having uppercut/haymaker/demolish for spamming. Or, on the other hand, you can go for single target attacks out of single blade that have some synergy, then grab roomsweeper or havoc out of might for AoE.

Archived Post
10-29-2010, 02:17 AM
If you aren't overly concerned with turning out as much damage as humanly possible, almost any Defiance-based build will do well. I had been pondering a SB/Might build as well, with primarily SB attacks, and just Roomsweeper to maintain rage stacks. I'd be trading high crits (the domain of pure SB) for the +damage of constant Rage stacks. Roomsweeper also nicely fills the problematic AoE gap in SB. Would it be as powerful as a pure Might build? Probably not, but eh.

The only challenge you run into is stacking bleeds fast enough to make it worthwhile to Rupture them. Anything less than Supervillain would be dead before you get around to it...not such a bad problem to have.

Archived Post
10-29-2010, 04:48 AM
Here's a Might-centric example, using single blade for the EB and the STC bleed, Might for the rest of the offense.

With enough stacks of Enrage and Aggressor, this combo should be ridiculous:

TBL -> Immolation -> STC -> charged Demolish -> block for Retaliation buff -> turn off EB -> Imbue -> charged Haymaker (or charged Roomsweeper for multiple targets)

Build by championBuilder 0.4.1 (http://champions.zarzu.ch)

Download this Build here. (http://champions.zarzu.ch/download.php?download=4132g60b00360b10260a1135zzzz 500605001250050500615006260015350i4060013260i52250 m085zzzz5024075zzzz5zzzz5zzzz5zzzz5zzzz5zzzz5zzzz2 5y0005y0021h0000000000000000)

: Level 40 Champion

Superstats:
Level 5: Super Strength
Level 13: Super Constitution

Powers:
Level 1: Reaper's Touch -- Three Edged Blade
Level 1: Scything Blade -- Swallowtail Cut
Level 5: Thunderbolt Lunge -- Nailed to the Ground
Level 8: Defiance
Level 11: Roomsweeper
Level 14: Retaliation
Level 17: Enrage
Level 20: Aggressor
Level 23: Demolish -- Below The Belt
Level 26: Howl
Level 29: Haymaker -- Nullifying Punch
Level 32: Resurgence -- Evanescent Emergence
Level 35: Imbue
Level 38: Immolation

Talents:

Archived Post
10-29-2010, 07:24 AM
Why not slap unstoppable in there if you want to do some more damage instead of defiance? Last time I checked, it increased all types of melee damage aswell.

Archived Post
10-29-2010, 08:58 AM
Why not slap unstoppable in there if you want to do some more damage instead of defiance? Last time I checked, it increased all types of melee damage aswell.

I was going for heavy damage from Retaliation and Imbue, both of which mean blocking (in Imbue's case, for energy). Blocking works much better with a Defiance build, where you gain stacks and energy, than an Unstoppable build where you're just losing time and HP. STC means you're dealing damage during the block as well.

Archived Post
10-29-2010, 09:17 AM
Here's an Unstoppable one. Work with glow sliders to crank up the color so the energy shield doesn't look out of place, and get a wild blade costume replacer. You have to be relentless with this one - your energy depends on constant KB. I'm not sure I've seen someone use Howl while Ascension is on, that probably looks really cool.

Build by championBuilder 0.4.1 (http://champions.zarzu.ch)

Download this Build here. (http://champions.zarzu.ch/download.php?download=4132g60b00360b10260a1135zzzz 50c40608402500125006350015500625006050m0b50b1250m0 a5zzzz50i4075zzzz5zzzz5zzzz5zzzz5zzzz5zzzz5zzzz25y 0005y0021h0000000000000000)

: Level 40 Champion

Superstats:
Level 5: Super Strength
Level 13: Super Constitution

Powers:
Level 1: Reaper's Touch -- Three Edged Blade
Level 1: Scything Blade -- Swallowtail Cut
Level 5: Thunderbolt Lunge -- Nailed to the Ground
Level 8: Inexorable Tides
Level 11: Energy Shield -- Laser Knight
Level 14: Roomsweeper
Level 17: Unstoppable
Level 20: Demolish
Level 23: Aggressor
Level 26: Defiance
Level 29: Conviction
Level 32: Reaper's Embrace
Level 35: Ascension
Level 38: Howl

Talents:

Archived Post
10-29-2010, 10:13 PM
The only challenge you run into is stacking bleeds fast enough to make it worthwhile to Rupture them. Anything less than Supervillain would be dead before you get around to it...not such a bad problem to have.And this is exactly why I took out Ruptures from my Bestial/SB character. Rupturing for burst DPS is easier with SB that stacks bleeds quicker than Rupturing while primarily Bestial which stacks them slower, and thus your DPS is lower between blowing up bleeds. Of course it can be argued that Bite solves that problem, but the DPS would still be lower while you're creating new bleeds.

Unless you're primarily SB which as far as I know can stack bleeds quickly and not primairly Might, you get more sustained DPS with a build that is less focused on blowing up the bleeds. Focus more on either having the bleeds tick down, or in the case of my character, just having them there for Massacre.

Which is why I actually decided to just have Massacre since my character is supposed to be primarily Bestial. That and three pet powers to give a "pack" feeling. Now if only they would give the wolves a kitty skin, that character would cease looking awkward and canines unnaturally grouping with a feline.

So yea, I think the OP should be mostly Might with Enrage stacking and Aggressor with SB as a secondary for theme.