PDA

View Full Version : So, I Stayed

Archived Post
09-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Some of you may remember that a couple months back I publically stated on these boards that I was 'on the bubble' as it were in terms of deciding whether or not to stick with CO. I decided to stay, and have been playing the game more lately than I have since shortly after launch, but for a different reason than I would have suspected. My trouble deciding was largely based on the price of the game vs. the quantity of content being released.

What made me decide to stay was getting a new computer. This game...everything about it, not just the visuals but the combat, the immersion, everything....is different now, and better. On my old low-end system, the game was mediocre at best. Now that I can really see it, here, play it...its an incredibly fun game.

What I wonder though, is, for how many other people has this been a factor? My old system ran WoW beautifully. I wonder how many people who try out this game try it out on a system that can't really run it for all its worth, so they're playing a dumbed down, hazy version like I was. I'm wondering if this is part of why CO has struggled a little in finding its player base. Its a very casual/solo friendly game, but I'm wondering how many of those casual players have gaming rigs to let them enjoy it?

Archived Post
09-18-2010, 01:15 PM
It hasn't been a deciding factor, but it's certainly been a factor of some kind.

This is how I played on my old computer. (http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/645/steelsolosredstone.png) Note the FPS for standing perfectly still in the top-right corner.

Archived Post
09-18-2010, 04:19 PM
WoW's not really a good benchmark for system performance anymore, unfortunately. I think my toaster could handle it at Medium with shadows turned off.

That said, yeah. Once you get a decent machine (even a Core 2 Duo system with an 8800 GTS or better video card) will play it well. On my new rig, it's really quite visually stunning, so I know what you mean. :]

Archived Post
09-18-2010, 04:30 PM
[QUOTE=GammaBreaker]WoW's not really a good benchmark for system performance anymore, unfortunately. I think my toaster could handle it at Medium with shadows turned off.
/QUOTE]

True, but that's to its advantage, I think, in terms of playerbase. Anybody who goes down to Wal-Mart or Best Buy and buys a $300 desktop can load up WoW and it runs well and looks pretty good. With Champions (and STO for that matter) you can't even run the demo on that machine. You have to go out and deliberately track down and buy a video card. So CO has kind of reduced its potential recruiting pool from 'anybody with a computer' to 'PC gamers' I think just based on the system requirements.

But yeah, again, with a good gaming system, this game is amazing.

Archived Post
09-18-2010, 08:43 PM
True, but that's to its advantage, I think, in terms of playerbase. Anybody who goes down to Wal-Mart or Best Buy and buys a $300 desktop can load up WoW and it runs well and looks pretty good. With Champions (and STO for that matter) you can't even run the demo on that machine. You have to go out and deliberately track down and buy a video card. So CO has kind of reduced its potential recruiting pool from 'anybody with a computer' to 'PC gamers' I think just based on the system requirements.

But yeah, again, with a good gaming system, this game is amazing.

Certainly, and that's by intention without a doubt. Blizzard certainly has the resources to improve the game's graphics beyond the slight tweaks they do each expac, but doing so would impact performance and in turn a good portion of the customer base. That said, in this day and age, it looks pretty rough. It has long since ceased to be attractive.

Champions has beautiful environment and characters, and if that means it's taxing, I wouldn't have it any other way. :]

Archived Post
09-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Eh. My machine is like 4-5 years old and run most things on max in CO.
Except shadows... It sure hates shadows.

Archived Post
09-19-2010, 01:07 AM
Eh. My machine is like 4-5 years old and run most things on max in CO.
Except shadows... It sure hates shadows.

Yeah ,, why is it that it handles dynamic lighting and reflections better than a few extra shadow?

Archived Post
09-19-2010, 03:51 AM
After reading the OP post, I went in and max my graphics. I was expecting what happen when I did that in COV after the Ultra graphic mode went live, aka not to even be able to move :(, but I was wrong. I couldnt believe the difference in CO now that I've ramped the graphic settings up :eek:. Ofcourse not alots of ppl on right now, so I'll have to wait and see if I get bogged down later. But yea w the graphics maxed out this game does look GREAT! :D

Archived Post
09-19-2010, 04:37 AM
Over in the "PC and Tech Issues" section, I had an in-depth discussion with Quarternion about "building the perfect beast" to play Champions Online - a not-too-outrageous, single graphics card, desktop PC.

On August 25th, I bought the necessary parts, had them shipped to me, and put the whole thing together myself at home.

Without going into over-detail (this isn't the place for it), I'll mention the three most important factors in the machine itself:

1. The Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz Quad-Core Processor;

2. The SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 5870 graphics card;

3. The 8 megs of system RAM;

The difference in game play, from the moment I began, was phenomenal. I could now play Champions Online and have it actually look like it did (and still does) in all the demo videos. Graphics are nearly at max (I turn off comic outlining and don't like excessive particles bouncing around), I have a sustained rate of roughly 60 fps and no need to push it any higher. (And these are all at stock settings, by the way. I'm not ready for overclocking just yet.)

Its only been 3 weeks and I'd rather not jinx anything, so for now I'll just give a happy, contended smile. :D

On the flip side, when Champions Online went live a year ago, the machine I had to play it on was an Alienware laptop...and while it was top-of-the-line, my CO experience was diminished by the fact that the game I was playing looked nowhere near as good as the one in the promo videos. Yes, I know the videos were advertising and were supposed to look good, but I was at least expecting something close.

I was disappointed, but I blamed myself, my machine and my budget. Did it mean I loved CO any less? Did it stop me from buying a lifetime subscription? Hell no!

I'm in the demographic that I'm sure Cryptic loves the most - the die-hard fanatic with unflinching loyalty. I've wanted this game since before MMOs even existed (I come from an extensive Champions PnP background). If I could have found a way to play CO using only some discarded desktop fished out of the local landfill, I would have done it. If CO failed to launch, I would have learned how and made my own version of it in my spare time...

But not everyone is a fanatic loyalist like me.

And certainly, the amount of system resources required by CO is far more than the $300 Best Buy desktop special is capable of. I'm sure a few tried to run CO and said "Ew! This looks awful!" without realizing that their own machine was to blame...then turned around and were lost forever in the WoW jungle.

And ya know what I say?

I say "Hey, man. If they were that dumb in the first place, did we ever really want them here at all?"

Players say "Nope!"

Cryptic says "Yes! We needed that money!"

PvPers say "LOLz! bring us mor n00bz 2 pwn!"

Archived Post
09-19-2010, 10:11 AM
It's amazing to me how some developers can produce games that look very good on lowish-end machines and others don't. Guild Wars, for example, looks good on machines that were mediocre when it came out and amazing on better ones.

On dual 1.8, 4 meg and GeForce 8600, I can play CO so that it looks acceptable, but I lag like a dog when there's lots of heroes fighting Mega D's unless I turn off SFX.

Getting a better rig is on my list, somewhere south of rent, eating and medical insurance, so it may be a while. :rolleyes:

Archived Post
09-19-2010, 10:24 AM
PvPers say "LOLz! bring us mor n00bz 2 pwn!"

Really? Offensive stereotype for the lose?

That level of unnecessary /facepalm reminds me of all the PvE griefers we have at our dueling tournaments these days.

Archived Post
09-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Played all of beta and the September launch on an iMac. I had to set everything to low and play in a lower resolution. Then I sold the iMac and bought a gaming PC. Now I play on max, and yeah, the experience is much better for it.