PDA

View Full Version : New power framework: Speedster set

Archived Post
09-07-2010, 02:30 PM
One of the things I've had the hardest time working out in CoH and CO, and something I've always wanted to play, was an appropriate speedster based hero. Though I'm currently working on one using a combination Munitions and MA, I still feel there's a lack in powers for our speed based heroes.

I'm talking a hero based solely on his speed, like the Flash or QuickSilver. Might seems to slow and inappropriate. MA is ok but it concentrates too much on kicking attacks.

I know a lot of the speed based attacks would probably be to hard, if not impossible, to actually work in, but here's some ideas that might work.

NOTE: These names aren't the best names, they're just things I came up with spur of the moment.

Rapid Punch (energy builder) - You attack a single target with light rapid punches.
Advantage - Sucker Punch. Has a chance to attack another target within melee range.

Barrage - You swing your fists with such speed that you hit multiple targets in front of you within melee range. Has a chance to stun targets

Cyclone Fists - Maintained attack. You spin your fists outward in front of you. the speed generating two cones of hair that will do impact damage on a single target, then small amount of damage over time while the attack is maintained. Repels the target
Advantage - Wind Gusts. Makes the Cyclone fists do cone damage that is less than the damage of the initial target.

Tornado - Maintained attack. You spin so fast you become a tornado, doing PBAoE damage and knocking enemies back.
Advantage - Drawing winds. Causes enemies out of melee range to be pulled in.

Flying fist - A lunge attack that has your hero flying forward with one fist out. Does damage, has a chance to stun and disables travel powers.

Vibration - Vibrate your body temporarily boosting dodge chance and breaking you out of holds.
Advantage - Has a chance to return damage to attacker

Post any other suggestions and ideas.

Archived Post
09-07-2010, 02:58 PM
To add to that, how bout an attack that actually has you run AROUND your target , attacking it at super high speeds. With the motion blurr and all of that goodness. It'd be pretty awesome.

Or maybe a lunge for this power set as well, allowing you to charge it and then blitz charge at the enemy hyper fast, coming to a stop all of a sudden and all that good stuff.

Archived Post
09-07-2010, 03:24 PM
To add to that, how bout an attack that actually has you run AROUND your target , attacking it at super high speeds. With the motion blurr and all of that goodness. It'd be pretty awesome.

Or maybe a lunge for this power set as well, allowing you to charge it and then blitz charge at the enemy hyper fast, coming to a stop all of a sudden and all that good stuff.

That would be awesome

Archived Post
09-07-2010, 05:02 PM
I had this planned out. :p

Celerity

Charge straight into battle to take out the enemies before they know what hit them! You excel in striking with strong, rapid attacks, and keeping your opponents on their toes!

Celerity is all about using movement to your advantage, slowing enemies down with controls, and alternating between extreme maintained damage and bursts distributed inbetween.
+ Extreme damage output, great mobility. Does great against enemy melee types, and an excellent partner to other rapid-damage hitters.
- Not really made to take damage. Without movement, Celerity is very weak on the defensive.

Recommended Stats: Strength and Recovery
Category: Physical (Same category Might will go)

Energy Builder: Hyperstrikes
-Deals rapid strikes of crushing damage to the enemy. Each tick does very low damage, but they are dealt very rapidly.

Tier 0: Mach Combo
-A 3-hit single target combo attack, consisting of two punches and a roundhouse kick. Each consecutive hit in this combo does increasing damage, and the final hit of the combo can knock the enemy back.
--Advantage: Nowhere Fast - 3rd hit will snare the target and remove their travel power.

Tier 1: Dash
-A unique lunge which can be used rapidly. Dash does no damage, instead opting to simply close distance quickly and easily.
--Advantage: Nailed to the ground
--Advantage: Startle! - A dash of over 30 feet will knock the target down.
--Advantage: Switcheroo - Dash will now cause you and your target to switch positions. 1 advantage point cost.

Tier 1: Trip up
-A single-target trip-kick which deals very slight knockup, and deals a knockback debuff, which actually reduces damage dealt by knockback-dealing attacks.
--Advantage: Confusion - Target will be held upon recovering from the trip-up's knockup.

Tier 1: Rush Ram
-A guard ability; Rush Ram reduces much less damage than any other shield in the game, but when it is active, the user can move around at full speed and deals damage to enemies based on how quickly the user is running into them.
--Advantage: Speeding bullet - When dealt a ranged attack, there is a 15% chance that you will dash to the person who used that attack. Can only happen once every 20 seconds.

Tier 1: Haste
-Charged toggle; When active, haste increases your physical damage by a percentage based on your strength. In addition, a stack of haste will be applied for every 75 feet the user moves. Stacks of haste will further increase movement speed, reduce activation times (effectively speeding up animations), and increase evasion chance/avoidance. Haste can stack up to 3 times.

Tier 2: Sonic Pierce
-A quick jab which causes an unusual defensive debuff; the target will now take a flat damage penalty from each hit (around 1 or 3 flat extra damage per hit). Other than that, the attack does moderate damage.
--Advantage: Sonic Break - Changes the attack to a charge. Based on how much the attack is charged, another defensive debuff will be added that has a percentage damage debuff.

Tier 2: Flurry
-A cone maintain; Flurry does extremely rapid ticks of damage to enemies in a 75 degree cone in front of you. As time passes with the maintain, Flurry's damage will ramp up. Has a very slight knockback, which only will activate if the enemy is vulnerable to knockback (either innately or due to trip up)

Tier 2: Speed Force
-This passive offensive causes the user to have heavily increased melee physical damage output, which scales with strength. Speed Force also comes with a random chance of energy generation with each hit; the chance of which is scaled off of your Recovery score.
--Advantage: Make 'em count! - Every hit that you deal out will do a minimum amount of damage. This minimum amount of damage scales up with strength.

Tier 2: Ultra Metabolism
-A self heal which turns half of your equilibrium into a moderate portion of health. Ranks will further improve the transition rate. Has a recharge of 10 seconds.
--Advantage: Back to speed - Ultra Metabolism can now help the user break free of holds (just a little). In addition, it will remove any snares or roots on yourself.

Tier 3: Mach Punch
-Single-target charged punch. Mach Punch has pretty impressive knockback, charges quickly, and has a low damage range, making it good both for charged hits for the knockback, and tapped hits for doing rapid damage fast.
--Advantage: Limit breaker - Mach Punch will now turn all stacks of haste on yourself into extra bursts of damage on a full-charge hit. The stacks will be used up and have to be rebuilt, but the burst damage is now immense.
--Advantage: Debaser - Mach Punch trades its standard damage values for the ability to do damage based on the amount of health left on the target; A full-charge debaser mach punch will do the following to enemy types:
---Henchmen - Dealt 90% of remaining health.
---Villains - Dealt 75% of remaining health.
---Master Villains - Dealt 50% remaining health.
---Supervillains/Heroes - Dealt 25% remaining health
---Cosmics - Dealt 10% of remaining health.
----The level of the target is also taken into account, save for Cosmics.

Tier 3: Whirlwind
-A maintained AoE; whirlwind causes you to spin in circles and create a small tornado about yourself, which knocks enemies around you up into the air and does rapid, low damage ticks of slashing damage. During its maintaining, it will also provide a sizable boost to avoidance and dodge.
--Advantage: Backdraft - Enemies outside the range of effect of the main whirlwind will be slightly pulled towards the whirlwind. Repeated ticks of this effect can eventually apply snares and roots.

Tier 3: Sonic boom
-Charge power which causes you to explode. Does high sonic damage to enemies and knocks them back. After that, there is a period where your physical damage output is greatly buffed, along with your energy efficiency. You will also run much faster, and very slowly regenerate health (ticks based on recovery score). The drawback is the long recharge time of this ability, and its necesity to be fully charged to gain the post-boom buffs; a partially charged Sonic Boom will only generate the knockback effect and a 15 second recharge instead. Like other active offensives, Sonic Boom helps break out of holds, but only on a full charge.

Archived Post
09-07-2010, 09:24 PM

The running around attack would be cool, but thats one of the ones I thought would be too hard to actually implement into the game, since it would me you losing control of your hero in order for it to work properly.

I had this planned out. :p

That's is really cool! So, if there's already been suggestions about this, guess that means there's not much chance of seeing it in game.

On a side note about your power set. I would think, for speed purposes, you'd focus more on Dex than Str. Since Dex improves dodge and critical hit chance.

Archived Post
09-07-2010, 11:15 PM
At first when I saw the title of this thread I did not think this would be doable or practical, but after reading what has been suggested I say go for it Devs.:cool:

On a side note about your power set. I would think, for speed purposes, you'd focus more on Dex than Str. Since Dex improves dodge and critical hit chance.
P.S. I would think it would be Dexterity and Endurance myself.

Archived Post
09-07-2010, 11:40 PM
P.S. I would think it would be Dexterity and Endurance myself.

I can understand recovery just because it allows you to build energy faster so you can use your other attacks, but definitely Dex as the main stat.

Archived Post
09-07-2010, 11:54 PM
I can understand recovery just because it allows you to build energy faster so you can use your other attacks, but definitely Dex as the main stat.

That's a no brainer actually.. ;)

Archived Post
09-08-2010, 02:12 AM
Would this be martial arts or it's own category?

Archived Post
09-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the positive feedback on that powerset blurb. I wanted to actually avoid DEX, since we already have a lot of swift melee options with DEX. Since DEX would increase crit chance, it sort of encourages a Dex/ego thing, which I wanted to sort of avoid and instead opt for a new game-play style that is based most heavily on quick movement and maintained damage rather than random burst damage.

I suggested putting it under the same category as might, and renaming that category from 'Brick' to 'Physical', representing power-sets that focus largely on augmented human capabilities.

Archived Post
09-08-2010, 09:15 AM
I don't see why they haven't put a Speedster power set into the game already..I mean it can't be that hard to do. I really liked the one that CoH had. And my speedster, Zip, would be made complete with some of the speedster powers. Right now she's an electricity user with Superspeed. When the day comes that Cryptic finally puts in a speedster power set in to the game..my character Zip will be one of the first to take some of the powers from it!

Archived Post
09-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Would this be martial arts or it's own category?

I would say either its own category or possibly in with might as a brick category

Thanks for the positive feedback on that powerset blurb. I wanted to actually avoid DEX, since we already have a lot of swift melee options with DEX. Since DEX would increase crit chance, it sort of encourages a Dex/ego thing, which I wanted to sort of avoid and instead opt for a new game-play style that is based most heavily on quick movement and maintained damage rather than random burst damage.

I suggested putting it under the same category as might, and renaming that category from 'Brick' to 'Physical', representing power-sets that focus largely on augmented human capabilities.

I completely understand what your going for, but the obvious choice for a passive would be lightning reflexes. Since it is based off of Dex, having the other powers as dex would work nicely. Plus, thematically, dex fits super speed over str. A speedster really shouldn't be super strong, and focusing on str would cause the speedster hero to become hulk like in strength. And if you're going to go that route, then you might as well just take Might.

Maybe, to encourage going away from the Dex/Ego build, Put a lot of the attacks on cool down timers and make the main stats Dex/Int. Then they would be forced to take int over Ego to reduce the cool down times. Just a thought.

Archived Post
09-09-2010, 01:46 AM
Super stats?

Dexterity, Endurance (This one makes most sense... because you need both to be a good runner)

or

Dexterity, Ego (Runners would have higher egos to try and be quicker than everyone else and Speedsters are known to zip past traps before they're activated)