PDA

View Full Version : Maintained vs. Charged Single Target Ranged Attacks

Archived Post
08-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Please note that this thread is only about ranged attacks, not mellee.

Am I the only one who is frustrated at the lack of maintained single target ranged attacks (there's one in lightning, um.... what else?). I find it really frustrating to charge up only to either get bonked in the middle, or to overkill and waste END. As a result I've had toons that only took the cone attack because I don't like charged attacks - but often there's no option.

As a rule, my feeling is that of the ranged attacks AOE should do the least damage (but be best for groups), followed by maintained single target ranged attacks which give the most control attacking a single foe, and finally charged - least control, best damage. Maybe this is the way it is, but regardless, there's a real lack of maintained single opponent attacks.

Is there a reason why if you want to attack a single foe with a maintained attack you have to dive into a few trees that might not fit your toons' feel? Why not always have two choices for that primary attack, a maintained and a charged? I don't think this would genericise anything (it already pretty much is) but would give people with a preference a choice.

Archived Post
08-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Most of the single target ranged attacks that don't stink (i.e., the T0's) are in the technology trees (Munitions, Archery and Power Armor). Non-T0 non-charged ST ranged attacks in those trees are:

Snap Shot (spamfest click attack)
Assault Rifle (requires an advantage to not have a CD)
Concussor Beam (toggle, does pushback)
Eyebeams (toggle, extremely weak, becomes a column attack after 4 seconds)

In the other trees, theres

Celestial Conduit (maintain)
Vile Lariat/Iron Lariat (click, low damage, knock, CD)
Lifedrain (maintain, low damage, low self heal)
Hurl (click, low damage, rock throw animation)
Shuriken Throw (click, weapon based)
Heat Wave (maintain, 20 second CD)
Lightning Arc (maintain)

Everything else is AoE in one form or another. The good news? Many AoE's do better damage to a single target than the single target attacks do. The bad news? If you want a non-tech, non-object-based (weapons or throwing something) single target attack that actually does damage comparable to the AoE's, there really aren't many choices. I've highlighted in red the maintains that do reasonable damage, I included Concussor Beams because a toggle is essentially a maintain as far as looks and periodic damage goes, you just don't hold it to maintain it and need to tap it to turn it off rather than let go of the button.

Archived Post
08-19-2010, 02:48 PM
And Two Gun Mojo...

Archived Post
08-19-2010, 06:21 PM
And Two Gun Mojo...

Which is a T0, and I left those out...

Two Gun is pretty good in comparison to the other T0's, I'll give it that. It's R3 DPS is not up there with Assault Rifle R2 with Mow 'Em Down, but if you want a pistol character, it can fit the bill.

Archived Post
08-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Two Gun is pretty good in comparison to the other T0's, I'll give it that. It's R3 DPS is not up there with Assault Rifle R2 with Mow 'Em Down, but if you want a pistol character, it can fit the bill.

However in the end the damage of both is not great, i nearly did any noticeable damage to Viper-X in SL for
example with 2-gun, when i was helping sombody there with my level 33 character sidekicked to 40.

I think i tried 2 or 3 maintains, and the maybe lost 10% of his life, don't know how much of that came from the 2
other player that were with me, since they died all the time .. lol. After that i went in melee range and with
2 maintains of devour essence he was dead :rolleyes:

Archived Post
08-19-2010, 09:29 PM
However in the end the damage of both is not great, i nearly did any noticeable damage to Viper-X in SL for
example with 2-gun, when i was helping sombody there with my level 33 character sidekicked to 40.

I think i tried 2 or 3 maintains, and the maybe lost 10% of his life, don't know how much of that came from the 2
other player that were with me, since they died all the time .. lol. After that i went in melee range and with
2 maintains of devour essence he was dead :rolleyes:

ViperX has the NPC version of Invulnerability, and Devour Essence is just that much better.

Archived Post
08-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Lifedrain's self heal isn't all that low if you have SS Pre.

Archived Post
08-20-2010, 12:33 AM
ViperX has the NPC version of Invulnerability.

I already thought that .. so gatling gun would also useless against him i suspect .. right ?
Since normally gatling is much better than 2-gun or assault rifle, even since it is an AoE.

Archived Post
08-20-2010, 03:59 AM
Post deleted by KenpoJuJitsu3

Archived Post
08-20-2010, 07:52 AM
Lifedrain's self heal isn't all that low if you have SS Pre.

This is true; and its damage isn't all that low if you have Shadow Form and SS End. So, it is a viable offense for some builds and a viable self-heal for some others. Without SS Pre its heal is never going to be more than a little extra protection, best if layered with something else.

Archived Post
08-20-2010, 05:13 PM
It's better with Seraphim.