PDA

View Full Version : The demo gives a bad impression of the game.

Archived Post
07-30-2010, 06:00 PM
I started playing champions after trying it for a free weekend. During the tutorial (millenium city crisis) I kept wanting to quit. I did not like that part of the game at all but I wanted to push through until I got my travel power. I made it to the desert crisis and from there on out I had a blast! If I had just played the tutorial level and left it at that, I wouldn't be playing Champs today. And since then I've convinced two friends to play the demo, they reluctantly played through and I had to try to convince them that it got fun almost immediately after the tutorial. But they weren't too enthused to continue playing.

What jar-head wanted the demo to end right before any fun was had anyways? Not to mention that some MMO's let you play for a whole week before making you buy it. I think the demo should be extended to cover at least one of the crisis's that come after the tutorial so the player has an opportunity to define their character and add some powers to their arsenal. Maybe even play some limited pvp with other demo players.

Thanks for your time.

Archived Post
07-30-2010, 06:04 PM
What did you like in the crisis that you didn't like in the tutorial, out of curiosity?

Archived Post
07-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Why would anyone leave after playing just tutorial...... And you only need to play it thru once.....

Archived Post
07-30-2010, 06:08 PM
What did you like in the crisis that you didn't like in the tutorial, out of curiosity?

You don't get to add any powers (or travel powers) until after the tutorial, all you get during the millennium city crisis are your charging power and a secondary power that you will probably not use at all once you get some good ones.

Why would anyone leave after playing just tutorial...... And you only need to play it thru once.....

Like I said, if you where to base a prediction on the rest of the game just from the tutorial, it wouldn't be a good one.

Archived Post
07-30-2010, 06:08 PM

I can't speak for the OP, but the tutorial restricts us to two powers, one of which is a tier 0 power and I don't even use or enjoy those ever in this game, whereas the referral that opens the crisis zone allows players to experience all of the travel powers and all of the powers in the game (if they choose to get to level 14, they can sit there in the powerhouse retconning to try all powersets and all non-tier 4 powers, like I did on the first day I played).

So to a powers guy, the difference between the tutorial and the referral is the difference between nothing and everything. In comparison to other MMO and even singleplayer demos, I find the tutorial to be stingy, and the referral to be extremely generous (getting to see more powers is how NCsoft kept me subscribed for months, there was a lot of mystery about high tier powers in that game, needing to start a new character and put 100s of hours into them to see the high level powers for that powerset).

Archived Post
07-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Easy solution: add a Powerhouse to the Millennium City Crisis so people can add various powers and such while limited to the demo.

*Potential problem: MCC wasn't designed for people with flight and from a bird's eye view the crisis may contain various blank spots that weren't designed.

Archived Post
07-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Easy solution: add a Powerhouse to the Millennium City Crisis so people can add various powers and such while limited to the demo.

That is a partial solution, but I have always worried about players trying to grind above level 5 in the demo getting a wrong impression of what the game is really like. Adding a powerhouse would encourage them to go through a grind experience that may leave their overall impression of the game as negative.

Archived Post
07-30-2010, 06:35 PM
That is a partial solution, but I have always worried about players trying to grind above level 5 in the demo getting a wrong impression of what the game is really like. Adding a powerhouse would encourage them to go through a grind experience that may leave their overall impression of the game as negative.

But as it is all they'd be able to do is grind anyhow, except they won't have anything to show for it.

Archived Post
07-30-2010, 08:00 PM
I think the best soloution is to let demo players play the desert or canada crisis. or both! No need to alter or add anything to the game.

Archived Post
07-31-2010, 12:27 AM
Or limit the level to levels 8-/10 for the demo, that way you can choose a new power and a travel power without giving too much.

Archived Post
07-31-2010, 04:46 AM

For me, it was all about getting my powers and my travel form. Once I got my travel walking (or should I say running) papers, the game became immensely more enjoyable.

Perhaps allowing the player to choose one of the ground based travel forms in the tutorial to just give them a taste of what it's like might help a bit.

Granted, the area is not so big that you really need superspeed, but the travel forms to me are the 'wow' factor in the game. Having created my character with wings on him and taking up the flight travel, really wowed me when I see my character flapping his wings to move up into the atmosphere and then soaring down on my prey.

Having any of the non flight travel forms in the tutorial would add to the fun.

Once somebody on the forums told me that I could skip the tutorial after I'd done it once, I always have, other than a character slot that I keep to just run through the tutorial to try to get a couple items that seem to sell well on the auction, and then level up the character enough to get to a mailbox where I can send the items to my main, but other than that I skip it on my alts as the real fun doesn't start until we get more powers and our travel abilities in my opinion.

Archived Post
07-31-2010, 05:31 AM

Can't speak for the OP, but: the tutorial is great as a tutorial, but it's a lousy demo. A tutorial should teach you how to play the game; a demo should show you what you can do in the game. That's two different things.

The tutorial teaches basics, but it doesn't let people experience the overall feel of the game. For crying out loud, many of the mobs are (weak) and you can't experiment with powers at all. That's not how the CO gameplay feels.

Which is why I would absolutely support this suggestion:

I think the best soloution is to let demo players play the desert or canada crisis. or both! No need to alter or add anything to the game.