PDA

View Full Version : Gigaton fight frustrating, confusing

Archived Post
07-01-2010, 08:19 PM
I do not get what I'm doing wrong. I have the radshield -- I even left the fracking instance and farmed the components and made ANOTHER one, not to mention the ones I get from the backpack... but I cannot seem to activate/use it. It appears in my "C1" slot. However, when I go to the high radiation zone and get the message I should activate it, I left-click on it and... it vanishes. nothing on my screen indicates I'm getting any bonus from it. And of course Gigaton has kicked my ass five times in a row now. The message about "radiation sickness" never disappears. I've also tried using "Ctrl-1" instead of left clicking, same effect... or lack of effect. Is there some special super secret magic key I'm supposed to push to activate the damn shield?

(Combat, in general, is way too twitchy/arcadey for an MMO, in my opinion, but I'm trying to give it a fair chance.)

And, of course, if I die in the fight and I've "used" the radshield so it vanishes, I can't use it again and have to slog through the whole process all over again.

Archived Post
07-01-2010, 08:50 PM
I do not get what I'm doing wrong. I have the radshield -- I even left the fracking instance and farmed the components and made ANOTHER one, not to mention the ones I get from the backpack... but I cannot seem to activate/use it. It appears in my "C1" slot. However, when I go to the high radiation zone and get the message I should activate it, I left-click on it and... it vanishes. nothing on my screen indicates I'm getting any bonus from it. And of course Gigaton has kicked my ass five times in a row now. The message about "radiation sickness" never disappears. I've also tried using "Ctrl-1" instead of left clicking, same effect... or lack of effect. Is there some special super secret magic key I'm supposed to push to activate the damn shield?

(Combat, in general, is way too twitchy/arcadey for an MMO, in my opinion, but I'm trying to give it a fair chance.)

And, of course, if I die in the fight and I've "used" the radshield so it vanishes, I can't use it again and have to slog through the whole process all over again.

What build are you using? Are you new to the game?

In all likelihood the crafted item is protecting you from the radiation (otherwise you would notice the radiation damage before you even got to Gigaton).

The problem is Gigaton himself. There was a patch a month or more ago that "fixed" melee. As part of that patch, might villains like Gigaton got buffed a whole lot. Not only is he more resistant to damage than he once was, but he hits a lot harder. I did him recently and his Shockwave power (he pounds the ground and the vibrations damage you) did half my health in a couple of seconds.

Having a defensive passive helps. Otherwise, try to find someone to team with. Tag-team tactics work on him. One player attacks until drawing aggro, then blocks while the other attacks, and so on.

Archived Post
07-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Yes, Scarlyng touched on one important point about your post. The Radiation Shield is only to protect you from constant, minor radiation damage hitting you while you're in the cave; the shield has nothing to do with Gigaton himself.

That said, yes, for someone new to the game, Gigaton in his current form is undoubtedly rough. Any big enemies making use of the Might powerset right now seem a bit overboard, and you have to be very careful fighting them. Use the pillars around the room to break Line of Sight with him for a breather, or hide behind them to avoid his charge attacks. Whenever he does Shockwave (pounds the ground repeatedly, sending shockwaves toward you) make sure to move aside, as it's an attack cone directed in front of him. Even if he, graphically, turns to continue facing you, his attack still only works in the same area.

Lasty... yes, Champions does have a more 'twitch', action based combat style then most MMO's; however, it was intentionally designed that way. So long as you aren't completely against the faster pace, you can learn to work with it. Attacks can be avoided if they affect certain areas, rather then just hitting you because you were targetted, and Line of Sight is constantly important. You can't attack, or be attacked, through a wall.

Play it, learn it, love it :).

Archived Post
07-01-2010, 11:56 PM
And most importantly.... <Defender> BLOCK!!!! </Defender>

Archived Post
07-02-2010, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the replies, all. I guess I'll run back and grab yet another rad shield, or does it remain active after death? Moving, spinning, dodging, hiding... all of this is Not My Style. I picked up CO because Steam had it on sale for 4.99, and that included a free month of play, so that's a good bargain.

I like the crafting features, and of course I've been playing Champions since 1981, and when I lived in NC in the early 1990s, Steve Long (who didn't yet own the game, he was "just" a prominent designer/writer), was in the Champions group I GM'ed (talk about performance pressure... let me say he was, and remains, extraordinarily polite and never once argued a rules call or "corrected" something I screwed up on), but it's hard for me to get into the game due to the "action" style. I want to give it as fair a shake as I can, but there's only so much screaming, cursing, and frustration I can put up with in the name of "having fun", and there's always COH/V (which I tend to play for one month a year, because there's only so many times I can stand to see the same ******n office instance!)

In terms of "finding someone to team with"... uhm... CO is the least friendly MMORPG I've ever played, and that's a long, long, list of games. There was NO chatter/talking/random comments in the zone or local chat for the 2-3 hours I went through the desert scenario. I tried asking if people wanted to group to do Ferd, or questions about gameplay, and was met with the hyper-silence of super-crickets. It almost made me wish for the mindless idiocy of ******** Global Trade.

Is there only one server, BTW? I don't remember getting a server choice, and maybe I'm on the "dead" one?

My build is custom... I've got, uhm, the first two powers from munitions, the "power gauntlet", and flying disk. I've focused on dex-based enhancements.

Archived Post
07-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the replies, all. I guess I'll run back and grab yet another rad shield, or does it remain active after death? Moving, spinning, dodging, hiding... all of this is Not My Style. I picked up CO because Steam had it on sale for 4.99, and that included a free month of play, so that's a good bargain.

I like the crafting features, and of course I've been playing Champions since 1981, and when I lived in NC in the early 1990s, Steve Long (who didn't yet own the game, he was "just" a prominent designer/writer), was in the Champions group I GM'ed (talk about performance pressure... let me say he was, and remains, extraordinarily polite and never once argued a rules call or "corrected" something I screwed up on), but it's hard for me to get into the game due to the "action" style. I want to give it as fair a shake as I can, but there's only so much screaming, cursing, and frustration I can put up with in the name of "having fun", and there's always COH/V (which I tend to play for one month a year, because there's only so many times I can stand to see the same ******n office instance!)

In terms of "finding someone to team with"... uhm... CO is the least friendly MMORPG I've ever played, and that's a long, long, list of games. There was NO chatter/talking/random comments in the zone or local chat for the 2-3 hours I went through the desert scenario. I tried asking if people wanted to group to do Ferd, or questions about gameplay, and was met with the hyper-silence of super-crickets. It almost made me wish for the mindless idiocy of ******** Global Trade.

Is there only one server, BTW? I don't remember getting a server choice, and maybe I'm on the "dead" one?

My build is custom... I've got, uhm, the first two powers from munitions, the "power gauntlet", and flying disk. I've focused on dex-based enhancements.

For a bit of build help, try this thread (http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=85948), which is a discussion of the various defensive passives available and their relative merits and flaws. While many players swear by offensive passives, the defensives are more forgiving, particularly for players whose twitch reflexes are not the best (like me), or who are new to the game and still on the learning curve.

Re builds: Two Gun Mojo and Power Gauntlet are both "Tier Zero" attack powers and are effectively redundant even though one is a charge and the other a maintain. They are both single target attacks, and Mojo performs better in my experience.

With only 3 powers, you are still level 7 (you get a 4th power at 8). Powers unlock by one of two conditions, (A) total powers in the framework (includes the energy builder) or (B) total non-energy-builder powers from any framework. So:

Tier One powers (A) 1 or (B) 2
Tier Two powers (A) 3 or (B) 5
Tier Three powers (A) 5 or (B) 8

Many of the Tier Zero powers are weak in the long run, so having more than one of them is a waste. At level 5 you would have been better off taking a Tier One power from Munitions (e.g., Shotgun Blast or Killer Instinct) than taking Power Gauntlet (imo). Once you take your level 5 power, you have automatically unlocked all Tier One powers from any framework and can take one with your level 8 power choice. All of the defensive passives are Tier One.

Re teaming for Gigaton: when I went to do his mission last week there was a player hanging out by the door, who invited me to team. If no one responds in zone chat, try waiting outside until you see someone coming to the door. After we finished I glanced back at the chat log to see that he had asked if anyone wanted to team for Gigaton some time before I showed up. I had not responded then since I had yet to get the mission. I guess he just waited around defeating Irradiates.

Re servers: there is one server and multiple shards. If you use M to call up your map, there is a button to "change instance." However, since zone chat is supposed to be cross-instance, changing instance would not help get a response. It may have been the time of day. The incident I described above was in the early afternoon east coast time (morning in CA) and the desert crisis was sparsely populated. I had been in the zone the previous evening (around 8ish east coast) and the zone was crowded.

Archived Post
07-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Moving, spinning, dodging, hiding... all of this is Not My Style..

Not to be rude, but in that case champions may not be for you

These things are integral to being a competent player, and are one of the things I like MOST about this game.

My Force character (currently my avatar) runs around CONSTANTLY, I am hardly ever static (which makes the advantage from Force Eruption hard to use, but that is a different story!).

Throw up a shield, dash into a group of enemies, blast a few of them until my shield pops up from my energy builder, back up until they are all gathered in front of me (spamming my block to keep up my shield!) and then unloading a Force Cascade, follow it up with some concussor blasts for people still standing....

Do you get the point I am trying to make? If running and blocking and hiding and moving around (not to mention running out and grabbing things to throw at Gigaton!) Aren't Your Style...then you may want to give this game a pass...

Archived Post
07-02-2010, 09:15 AM
A couple points: First, don't be discouraged by the lack of chatter. The Zone chat is separated by map, and the crisis maps are independent of the main maps in the game, so at any given time there will only be a few people going through the crisis, while there will be dozens or hundreds in the main instances, which you will see soon.

Second, consider leaving the Gigaton vault, going to the jet/chopper that you came in on, and completing most or all of the Canada Crisis. You will have an easier time because you will have a couple levels on the bad guys, so you will be relatively more powerful. It's a good way to learn. If you want to get credit (i.e., perks) for completing both crises, you have to defeat Gigaton before completing the Canada crisis, but you can travel back and forth.

Archived Post
07-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Not to be rude, but in that case champions may not be for you

These things are integral to being a competent player, and are one of the things I like MOST about this game.

If running and blocking and hiding and moving around (not to mention running out and grabbing things to throw at Gigaton!) Aren't Your Style...then you may want to give this game a pass...

This opinion does not reflect the design philosophy of the developers. There is a powerset (sorcery), which gains advantages by standing within ten feet of a magical circle, so I hardly think constant movement was designed into the game as a requirement to successful play. Not to say that tactical play, on the other hand, cannot greatly aid a player. Just as in CoX, tactics can be a great help.

You will want to move some. Using line of sight to buy a few moments respite when possible and necessary is a viable tactic. Moving out of ongoing AoE is always a plus in any MMO. However, movement does not cause incoming attacks to miss, so constant movement for its own sake is optional. Otherwise, judicious use of the block maneuver is perhaps the most important tactical factor in game. I am not a twitch reflex player, as I have arthritis in my hands and fingers, but I can manage blocking and targeting simultaneously, or blocking and movement.

Archived Post
07-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Gigaton was inadvertently buffed with the SL patch. Specifically, his shockwave ability. It does much more damage then intended. Right now I advise you to get a group. He'll be fixed (I believe) when the next build hits live sometime in mid/late July.

-S

Archived Post
07-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Yeah, sorry, folks, this just isn't working for me. If I try to move using the mouse, it's impossible to hit the shift key to block AND the number keys to attack with just one hand. If I try to move with the arrow keys, so I can hit shift easily enough, I end up constantly stuck in corners or unable to see where I'm going or otherwise not in a good spot. I actually do WORSE when I try to block because I can't focus on the screen to see when attacks are coming AND see the keyboard so I can tell that I'm hitting shift and not enter or Control or Windows, or hitting the wrong button for my powers. I'm also not good at hitting shift, stopping the atttack, letting shift go, hitting my attack power, hitting shift again, etc, etc, etc... I end up holding all keys down at once or hitting them at the same time. Trying to follow all the hints and tips here just makes it worse -- I did better standing in one place and shooting than I do when I try to move, turn, dodge, block, fire, all at the same time.

I could probably develop enough skill to marginally get by, but I don't see the long-term payoff in fun as being worth the incredible frustration of trying to get through even basic fights, where I am constantly harassed by things off screen that, if I try to turn to see them, causes me to hit the wrong button or lose my target or get stuck in a corner or whatever. The entire rapid respawn/wave after wave of enemies is just annoying... I want to have a fight, win the fight (hopefully), then look at my loot, figure out if I want to slot the cool thing I just got, etc, not be under constant assault until the bodies blot out the sun. Mobs in the desert region quite literally respawn faster than I can open a crate to see if it's got cool crafting gear in it. Since this is the design direction of the game, it's not likely it will change as I level up/move to other zones -- if anything, it will just get worse.

Glad all you young folks with your little twitchy fingers are having fun. I need something where I can actually think between one attack and the next.

Archived Post
07-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Yeah, sorry, folks, this just isn't working for me. If I try to move using the mouse, it's impossible to hit the shift key to block AND the number keys to attack with just one hand. If I try to move with the arrow keys, so I can hit shift easily enough, I end up constantly stuck in corners or unable to see where I'm going or otherwise not in a good spot. I actually do WORSE when I try to block because I can't focus on the screen to see when attacks are coming AND see the keyboard so I can tell that I'm hitting shift and not enter or Control or Windows, or hitting the wrong button for my powers. I'm also not good at hitting shift, stopping the atttack, letting shift go, hitting my attack power, hitting shift again, etc, etc, etc... I end up holding all keys down at once or hitting them at the same time. Trying to follow all the hints and tips here just makes it worse -- I did better standing in one place and shooting than I do when I try to move, turn, dodge, block, fire, all at the same time.

I could probably develop enough skill to marginally get by, but I don't see the long-term payoff in fun as being worth the incredible frustration of trying to get through even basic fights, where I am constantly harassed by things off screen that, if I try to turn to see them, causes me to hit the wrong button or lose my target or get stuck in a corner or whatever. The entire rapid respawn/wave after wave of enemies is just annoying... I want to have a fight, win the fight (hopefully), then look at my loot, figure out if I want to slot the cool thing I just got, etc, not be under constant assault until the bodies blot out the sun. Mobs in the desert region quite literally respawn faster than I can open a crate to see if it's got cool crafting gear in it. Since this is the design direction of the game, it's not likely it will change as I level up/move to other zones -- if anything, it will just get worse.

Glad all you young folks with your little twitchy fingers are having fun. I need something where I can actually think between one attack and the next.

As an aside apropos to nothing, I learned MMO's on Guild Wars, using the mouse to move. At one point I saw players moving in GW in a way that I could not accomplish using the mouse, so I tried the WASD key movement, and personally find this method of moving best for all games I've played that allow it, as my left hand is near tab, shift, and the 1-4 keys, my primary power binds.

Sorry it didn't work for you, but at least you didn't pay very much for it. Good luck and have fun going forward.

Archived Post
07-04-2010, 10:54 AM

Its quite easy to rebind the "block" key to the ` key located directly left from the 1 key. This allows quick, easy access to block while having access to all your number keys for abilities.

Actually, I take this a step further: I rebind the "1" attack to F1, and set the enegy builder to "always on never changes Toggle" and rebind Block to "1".

This allows me to turn the auto attack energy builder on or off with F1, while blocking with 1. Works quite well.

For situations where I have a character with a need to target self, such as my Celestial support character, I rebind the "toggle auto attack" to the middle mouse button instead of F1.

I highly recommend fiddling with the key bindings to find something that works for you :)

Archived Post
07-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Yeah, sorry, folks, this just isn't working for me. If I try to move using the mouse, it's impossible to hit the shift key to block AND the number keys to attack with just one hand.

I seem to remember seeing a bind listed somewhere on the forum (from a few months ago so you'll have to do a bit of digging) that someone posted which might help you here. It 'locks' the block if you press the shift key. That'll allow you to move around and select targets etc. without having to constantly hold the block key.

--edit--

Found it for you: /bind Shift "PowersCancelAllActivations $$ PowerTrayExec 1 16"

Activating any other power (except the energy builder for some strange reason) cancels it so you can just select a new target and hit a key to launch your favourite attack or just TP out of there.

Archived Post
07-05-2010, 07:36 AM
I'd recommend changing your targetting system to being reticle based. Have it select target closest to reticle center, allow attack without selected target.

You'll be able to run around freely and whenever you use a power if will autotarget the enemy closest to your reticle. You can still point/click to select targets if you want to as well.

Maybe go into the ui forum and see if someone can help make a layout that works for you.

Archived Post
07-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Gigaton was inadvertently buffed with the SL patch. Specifically, his shockwave ability. It does much more damage then intended. Right now I advise you to get a group. He'll be fixed (I believe) when the next build hits live sometime in mid/late July.

-S

Its nott just the SL Patch. Gigaton was already overpowered before SL came out. For that reason i always
only ended the crisis in Canada since i played.
After all i heared so far it has to do with the melee-patch that might NPCs should be overpowered.

Archived Post
07-07-2010, 04:28 AM
A targeting method I found helpful was to rebind the tilda (~) key to target nearest enemy.
There are a lot of targetable items in the game, and this helps me a lot.

Archived Post
07-08-2010, 04:43 PM
The most infuriating thing about Gigaton now-a-days for me is not his damage, it is when you have him down to two thirds health he runs back and insta-heals to full health, regardless of how much damage is dealt to him.

Archived Post
07-09-2010, 04:35 AM
Also, if you die when he's in the tunnel now, he just stays their frozen and you can't hurt him, I even tried leaving and going back in, eventually I dropped the mission and got another person to come with and we killed him without having him to go into the tunnel.

Archived Post
07-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Yeah, Gigaton is a lot harder now. I normally was able to take him out with maybe dieing once. On my latest toon I died like 4-5 times. One thing - my main attack was a chargeable power. I found it easier to beat Gigaton be repeatedly tapping the attack rather than trying to charge it - it seemed to interrupt him a bit. Also, for moving out of the way of the Shockwave hits (when he pounds the ground), try using the "A" and "D" strafe movements - you can move out of the way without fiddling with the mouse.

Also - don't worry about the Radiation item. Even though it disappears it does indeed protect you from the radiation. But it does not buff you at all.

Archived Post
07-15-2010, 03:30 AM
Also, if you die when he's in the tunnel now, he just stays their frozen and you can't hurt him, I even tried leaving and going back in, eventually I dropped the mission and got another person to come with and we killed him without having him to go into the tunnel.

I had this happen to me, but without having to die first. He just froze in the tunnel and my attacks did no damage to him.

Archived Post
07-15-2010, 03:35 AM
I've had that bug - there seems to be a rock that he gets stuck on - its been faulted before but need to check to see if they have fixed it yet

Archived Post
07-15-2010, 04:47 AM
So... I guess old Gigaton is fixed now, since he was the same *uss* he was since day one.... Went down in 20 secs i think....with team of 3.

Archived Post
07-15-2010, 05:14 AM
I've found it simplifies the fight if you select "regeneration" as a power when you level up to 8 and keep your character circle-strafing around Gigaton during the fight as you dish out damage.