PDA

View Full Version : hedge maze

Archived Post
03-29-2010, 12:31 AM
hey can the hedge maze not automatically keep you from using travel powers inside the hedge maze? I just failed a timed mission cause I fell in there and thought my keys were borked because there was absolutely no indication the hedge maze was the cause of it until someone on zone notified me.

Maybe there can be a guy who detoggles your powers at the entrance temporarily so you can play the hedge maze game that way. These magical travel power supression beams weren't working during the apocalypse.

'sorry I couldn't stop those zombie bombs, but /i got lost in a hedge maze/'

Archived Post
03-29-2010, 12:40 AM
There is a blue wall surrounding the airspace on the maze but it's a little hard to see sometimes when you're speeding along.
1st time I noticed the place on my acrobatics / teleport guy I literally just jumped in to look at the dancing David Bowie in the middle then got confused and lost trying to get out cause my powers don't work anymore.
Ah well at least I had some fun trying to get out XD

Archived Post
03-29-2010, 01:54 AM
I got stuck in that hedge maze for a while yesterday. It's actually pretty annoying. If they want to show off their maze-making technology they could do it in an instance mission so that we don't accidentally fall into that thing while super-jumping through VB.

Archived Post
03-29-2010, 03:34 AM
Ive fallen into it six times now and more fool me! and I say Keep it as it is, surely its supposed to be knida annoying and something to learn to avoid? In fact Id like to see some of the Villain groups using the dampning field technology in or around their bases as a defensive aid.

Archived Post
03-29-2010, 03:53 AM
I fall into it intentionally because i like stumbling into a living homage to the Labyrinth.

Archived Post
03-29-2010, 08:31 AM
I like it as well. First time it happened I was extremely surprised. Landed next to Bowie and just laughed out loud.

It was easy to get out of though. Just use the stairs to get on top of the hedges and there is the outer wall close by.

But I do expect enough people to complain about this that it will get changed.

Archived Post
03-29-2010, 09:33 AM
But I do expect enough people to complain about this that it will get changed.

More than likely. I would like to see less bending over on Cryptic's end. I like the maze though. Just stick to the right wall, people.

Archived Post
03-29-2010, 09:39 AM
That's why the Bowie Mullet showed up in the creator! Darnitall! Where's Hogwart, Hogbrain... Hoggle?!

Archived Post
03-29-2010, 09:40 AM
People did complain about it when it was on PTS, the lack of notification of just falling into the maze. The solution was to put giant blue walls around it, making it very hard to miss.

I could understand falling into it once or twice, but any more than that, than it's your fault. You know where it is, you know it's there, watch out for it. Big.Giant.Blue.Walls.

Mind you, this is coming from a person who tested heavily on PTS and ask any member of Zombat and they will tell you the string of profanities every time I fell in (before putting up the blue walls) and the time I almost punched my screen because I feel smack into the middle of the maze and had to use /killme to get out.

Really, I wouldn't expect this to change at all.

Archived Post
03-29-2010, 11:53 AM
I saw the pretty blue light and decided to jump through it with my main who uses Acrobatics. I fell in, attracted a mob, and was defeated while I scrambled to reactivate Acrobatics. Then I realized it was a hedge maze and it wouldn't really work if people could just jump out of it. I actually like it the way it is right now. You can't cheat to get through it, and if you're headed somewhere else, you can just go around it.

Archived Post
03-29-2010, 12:15 PM
My first time in the hedge maze was like alot of peoples, on that one dang timed mission...

Someone in the quest design and placement team is a sadistic little monkey with a special place in heck reserved just for them.

That said, I like the hedgemaze, its definitely an interesting addition that will surprise the heck out of you that first time (Not to mention annoy since you're almost always on that one timed mission when you run into it...)

Seriously though, you make a timed mission, you get it from this one guy, then like five feet from the door on the most direct path from the guy to the door you put the maze! You sick twisted little ratfinks!

Archived Post
03-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Love the maze. Keep it that way plz!

Archived Post
03-29-2010, 01:40 PM
People did complain about it when it was on PTS, the lack of notification of just falling into the maze. The solution was to put giant blue walls around it, making it very hard to miss.

I could understand falling into it once or twice, but any more than that, than it's your fault. You know where it is, you know it's there, watch out for it. Big.Giant.Blue.Walls.

Mind you, this is coming from a person who tested heavily on PTS and ask any member of Zombat and they will tell you the string of profanities every time I fell in (before putting up the blue walls) and the time I almost punched my screen because I feel smack into the middle of the maze and had to use /killme to get out.

Really, I wouldn't expect this to change at all.

I don't really see the huge walls on my graphics settings for some reason, or maybe I was too tired to see it, either way it'd probably be faster for me to use the powerhouse teleporter than to actually try to navigate out.

Archived Post
03-29-2010, 02:53 PM
I don't really see the huge walls on my graphics settings for some reason, or maybe I was too tired to see it,

Same here. Faint blue mist inside; no visible indicator outside. Bug?

Archived Post
03-29-2010, 09:32 PM
There should be giant blue glowy walls from the outside. I'll take a look again tomorrow, but they've been in for a while now. I don't want o make them any bigger/bolder/brighter because then it makes it look important, and draws more people in . . . MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!1

Archived Post
03-29-2010, 10:18 PM
The hedge maze is really awesome as is the race through it. :D Anyway the person who designed that timed mission for the police chief is evil. umm no make that EVIL!!!!!!!!

Come on are you telling me it isn't deliberate that the text of the mission references the target location in relation to Juryrig's base? I mean his base is directly across the hedge meze from where your trying to go so the natural path is travel to his base then check map orient towards target and take off. Fall into hedge maze and curse. The designer of that mission is evil.

The maze on the other claw is absolutely awesome. I had read about it, read about the lights around it and I still fell into it tonight. Grrr, and then I missed the bomb in the first room so failed the mission. ::sigh::

Archived Post
03-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Oh and the trick for navigating it is amusing too. I had that figured out after seeing it two times. :)

Archived Post
03-29-2010, 10:23 PM
There should be giant blue glowy walls from the outside. I'll take a look again tomorrow, but they've been in for a while now. I don't want o make them any bigger/bolder/brighter because then it makes it look important, and draws more people in . . . MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!1

T, they really are evil!

Archived Post
03-30-2010, 06:41 AM
Maybe this just destroys all your dreams of evil devs, but no, I think the timed mission going across the maze is probably just a serendipitous coincidence. If it's really a big issue, I can bring it up with the designers. But I don't expect it'll change soon.

Archived Post
03-30-2010, 06:46 AM
Well it may be just bad luck but the mission text does distinctly reference the mission location in relation to Juryrigs base. A location anyone who has done the crisis will be familiar with. And from his base to the mission entrance the direct route is directly across the maze. It may not be deliberate, but I can guarantee you that people will go to Juryrigs base look at their map and then head across the maze without knowing what it is.

It wouldn't be as big an issue except that for a lot of people their first introduction to the maze is being on a 20 minute timed mission and falling into it as they head across it from Juryrig's place.

Archived Post
03-30-2010, 07:21 AM
Maybe this just destroys all your dreams of evil devs, but no, I think the timed mission going across the maze is probably just a serendipitous coincidence. If it's really a big issue, I can bring it up with the designers. But I don't expect it'll change soon.When we did the timed mission with Ame and Arp during the Dev on PTS event testing, our group (at least the non-devs) got stuck in the maze on our way there, Ame had to pull us out or else we would never have finished it in time (we got it by mere seconds at that :)).

Archived Post
03-30-2010, 07:29 AM
hmm yeah i definitely don't see big glowing blue walls how far up t do they go? I usually fly past, and the combo of the maze + the extremely long halls of zombies in the timed bomb mission makes that a combo I always skip now since the first time it blew me up and failed me in PTS, neither seems worth the trouble or any fun.

hmm I see a trend zombies+ bombs = doesn't work or no fun... lol

Archived Post
03-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Screenshots of the blue wall:

At a distance

Closer:

Archived Post
03-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Just hop against a corner where the hedges intersect, then again up the wall, and you acn bypass the entire maze.

Or just map-change.

Archived Post
03-30-2010, 07:45 AM
hmm I see a trend zombies+ bombs = doesn't work or no fun... lol

Not unless they're the Suicide Zombies you control in Dark Reign.

Heck with Starcraft and its "oh, so cool!" mass of fans - give me the Freedom Guard and the Imperium any day of the week!

Oh yeah, whoever knows and actually played Dark Reign gets a million bonus points in my book.

Archived Post
03-30-2010, 08:12 AM
@WingedKagouti thanks, in your first screen shot I literally can't see it second one I can but barely.. I may need to adjust color on this monitor or something as for me the blue glow almost has no contrast and is barely there

@Tumerboy what color temp/settings you devs and the art team run at anyway? I'm wondering what else I'm missing if my screens not calibrated right lol

Archived Post
03-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Not unless they're the Suicide Zombies you control in Dark Reign.

Heck with Starcraft and its "oh, so cool!" mass of fans - give me the Freedom Guard and the Imperium any day of the week!

Oh yeah, whoever knows and actually played Dark Reign gets a million bonus points in my book.

Slightly off topic... well a lot. But any idea how to get that gem of a game to work? Seems to be a bit iffy with newer systems (i.e anything after 98).
Anyway long live the Freedom Guard!

On topic, so far I've only fallen in it once but it was a laugh. Not too hard to find your way out.

Archived Post
03-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Slightly off topic... well a lot. But any idea how to get that gem of a game to work? Seems to be a bit iffy with newer systems (i.e anything after 98).
Anyway long live the Freedom Guard!

On topic, so far I've only fallen in it once but it was a laugh. Not too hard to find your way out.

Hmm.... it's been a long while, but is it a DOS game? If it is, then maybe DOSbox will work for it. I use that to play my old copies of Duke 3d (modified so it's Bubblegum Crisis Nukem, with Priss instead of Duke.) If not, then.... supposedly, Activisn is planning on making some sort of a "Dark Reign Revival" thingy called Dark Reign Redux that has higher res and whatnot but still the same old-school graphics and systems (literally just a rework so it runs with machines today, from the sound of it.)

When in doubt, Google it out.

Archived Post
03-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Maybe this just destroys all your dreams of evil devs, but no, I think the timed mission going across the maze is probably just a serendipitous coincidence. If it's really a big issue, I can bring it up with the designers. But I don't expect it'll change soon.

Yep, that's a coincidence. The mission text is giving an easy to find landmark (Juryrig's Garage) so people can orient and find where they need to go. It just so happens that the direct path from the landmark to the door is directly over the maze in this case. :D

Archived Post
03-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Yep, that's a coincidence. The mission text is giving an easy to find landmark (Juryrig's Garage) so people can orient and find where they need to go. It just so happens that the direct path from the landmark to the door is directly over the maze in this case. :D

Maybe the mission text should mention watching out for the maze? I mean the biggest problem is simply that you are on a 20 minute mission and fall into the thing unexpectedly.

Archived Post
03-30-2010, 02:19 PM
I fell into the hedge maze and found it to be cool once I realized that my keys weren't broken. It is a very neat addition. I need to tell all the newbs about it so they can stumble into it. :)

Archived Post
03-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Screenshots of the blue wall:

At a distance

Closer:

That's what I'm getting. I refuse to call this "bright".

Archived Post
03-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Well I wouldn't say the problem is brightness it's blue and it kinda blends in.
Perhaps change the colour to Yellow or Orange perhaps?

Archived Post
03-30-2010, 08:47 PM

nah it's not a big issue, though I do think it might be a good idea to have the guy say 'watch out for the hedgemaze' when you take the 20 minute mission since so many people plummet in their first time that way.

Archived Post
03-30-2010, 11:45 PM
Other solutions would be to either create a new mission point, so have the players stop at someone else along the way making sure that the direct path from the start, to that person, then to the next point creates an angle around the maze.

Or take the timer off the mission.

I'd vote for the first way, so you could add some additional mission text to it.
(I know you're trying to save the world, but if you forget to pick up milk, that's your...)

Archived Post
03-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Count me in with the 'liked it' crowd, I had a good laugh when I got stuck in there.