PDA

View Full Version : No SOG today?

Archived Post
02-16-2010, 08:05 PM
i was looking forward to these being every tuesday like clockwork.

Archived Post
02-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Wasn't it "Every other week"?

And didn't Storm also say "It wouldn't happen that way immediately."?

Archived Post
02-16-2010, 08:08 PM

I too recall them saying biweekly.

Archived Post
02-16-2010, 08:54 PM
I too recall them saying biweekly.

I looked it up just to verify (I know... lame), and it actually means both twice a week and every two weeks. :confused:

In fact, the definition even says the word (biweekly) is avoided because of confusion with its meaning...

Archived Post
02-16-2010, 08:54 PM

gotcha, maybe i reversed that and the GM blog. i remember SOMETHING being weekly. oh well, i was just excited to get SOG's every week, but bi-weekly is just as nice.

Archived Post
02-16-2010, 08:56 PM
it actually means both twice a week and every two weeks. :confused:I'm pretty sure StormShade didn't mean twice every Tuesday, though. :p

Archived Post
02-16-2010, 08:59 PM
i remember SOMETHING being weekly. oh well, i was just excited to get SOG's every week, but bi-weekly is just as nice.I'd also like to re-iterate, he did indeed say that "This change wouldn't occur immediately."

Which in dev-speak is probably, "GIVE US SOME TIME TO SORT EVERYTHING ELSE OUT FIRST, MAAAAAAN. *Explode*" But, y'know, in a friendly way.

Archived Post
02-17-2010, 03:33 AM
From hence forth, State of the Game shall occur fortnightly. Verily.

Archived Post
02-17-2010, 10:40 AM
It takes time to craft that much information in an official release. Considering the incendiary nature of the community, I wouldn't doubt that the review process is very intensive.

Archived Post
02-17-2010, 02:24 PM
By bi-weekly, I meant every other week.

So, you got one last week, and we'll have a new one for you next week. :D

I do have some very exciting plans that I can't talk about just yet though. Our goal is to have things continue to improve around here, however, as other have stated, not everything can happen at once.

Please be patient and give us some time to get all the different balls in the air.

Thanks,

Stormshade

Archived Post
02-17-2010, 02:31 PM

I do have some very exciting plans that I can't talk about just yet though. Our goal is to have things continue to improve around here, however, as other have stated, not everything can happen at once.

Please be patient and give us some time to get all the different balls in the air.

Thanks,

Stormshade

I think he is hinting at....giant mecha shaped like lobsters...hush....

Archived Post
02-17-2010, 02:40 PM
I do have some very exciting plans that I can't talk about just yet though.

******mit.

Slow to learn I guess.

If you can't talk about it, you know what? DON'T TALK ABOUT IT. This vacuous teasing crap only flies after you have a track record/credability for delivering. CO ain't there yet, so ramp down the "ooh, it' SOOO exciting (and mysterious)" drivel. Maybe that was one of the advanced classes in public marketing school - matching your spin to your capacities. We're still pretty deep in the hype-fatigue from the last few rounds of vague and leading "information". Don't be so eager to start it up again.

Archived Post
02-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Does it count as cognative dissonance or actual mental illness to inbed "Get excited" and "Be patient" themes/messages in the same post?

There's a thread asking for what we want in communcation. I have something new to add to the list, which I don't think anyone has put out there before.

I want you to surprise me (in a good way) by actually delivering a small, positive feature without massive hype or preamble. Like small postive features are a standard we can expect from such a dedicated and professional team. The vissible manifestation of that special sort of self-assurance that comes from actually being a pro. I'd like to see a post or front page article that announces "We got a sort-by-price feature at the Auction Hall working and it went live today. Check it out."

This as opposed to a two month lead up in the form of:

"We're looking into it"
"Maybe in the next build"
"read our massive Dev diary about how we learned basic sorting algorithms"
"Check it out: screen shot of the week of an Auction House search that isn't ********!"
"Front Page article: New and REVOLUTIONARY Auction Hall functinality!! (get excited!!)"

Even better, if after rolling it out you did such a bang up job that I don't have to navigate around 18 threads say "OMG everything I ever posted to the AH has vanished!!one!!!11!!1one!!!"

I know, its a lot to ask for.

Archived Post
02-17-2010, 03:14 PM

You mean oranges, right?

Archived Post
02-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Does it count as cognative dissonance or actual mental illness to inbed "Get excited" and "Be patient" themes/messages in the same post?Cut him some slack, at least it wasn't like Daeke's messages of "Legendary" and "So cool" and then "I never said Legendary"

Stormshade seems to be downplaying it this time around. While we can get excited, we won't get as excited as when Daeke describing it in his words.

Archived Post
02-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Cut him some slack, at least it wasn't like Daeke's messages of "Legendary" and "So cool" and then "I never said Legendary"

In fairness, no, that was not nearly as grotesquely foolish as some of Daeke's offerings. However, I'm not from the school of parenting where children must never be told they messed up for fear of harming their delicate self esteem. I'm from that old, benighted clan that rubs puppy's nose in it and loudly announces "bad dog!" when puppy leaves a mess in the living room.

I am willing to let our new corporate mouthpiece earn some slack. I am even remotely sympathetic that the code monkeys' persistant failures have left the marketing folks shooting blanks for a very long time. But if he thought he was comming into a fresh, smiley land where all else really is equal and there is no history of maltreatment and neglect, he took the wrong assignment there at the offices. He's apparently good at damage control.

Show me.

Archived Post
02-17-2010, 04:59 PM
But if he thought he was comming into a fresh, smiley land where all else really is equal and there is no history of maltreatment and neglect, he took the wrong assignment there at the offices.I honestly believe StormShade knew what he'd be coming to, which is exactly why I sense downplay in the way he is now conveying new content and/or fixes.

Archived Post
02-17-2010, 05:16 PM

Heheahehehe...</Peter Griffin>

Archived Post
02-18-2010, 10:02 AM
I can see where some of the ill feelings are coming from, I know I still have that horrible taste in my mouth from the whole Viboria Pay fiasco (hell I still reply on any of the Devs twitters, Roper, I am looking at you) but they have learned from that and I see that the air is beginning to change. Can we expect immediate change? No, should they expect us to be all happy and carefree after being let down so many times before? No they should not.

It is a careful balance of trust we must now build up again. I can't say how long it will take but the puppy made a mess and he got shown the door, the new puppy knows of this and is treading far more carefully. Only time will tell whether or not damage control is enough.

XGC

Archived Post
02-18-2010, 10:09 AM

That phrase would mean twice a week in my opinion, but nice to hear confirmation. Its not like this issue mattered to me, just pointing out.

Archived Post
02-18-2010, 10:59 AM
That phrase would mean twice a week in my opinion, but nice to hear confirmation. Its not like this issue mattered to me, just pointing out.Depends on local usage, same with bi-centennial. Technically, the term for twice a week is semi-weekly.

Archived Post
02-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Depends on local usage, same with bi-centennial. Technically, the term for twice a week is semi-weekly.

That is correct. I get paid bi-weekly, as in every other week. ;)

Archived Post
02-18-2010, 05:03 PM

Thanks,

Stormshade

Hope you can juggle them all. ;)

Looking forward to it though. :D

Archived Post
02-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Wouldn't a better term be to apply it to the next unit up?

As in "Bi-monthly?"

:D

Archived Post
02-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Wouldn't a better term be to apply it to the next unit up?

As in "Bi-monthly?"

:D

every 2 months???!!!!????:confused::confused:

Archived Post
02-19-2010, 10:36 AM

Thanks,

Stormshade

Thanks for the clarification. :)

(interesting note on bi-weekly, I thought it meant every two weeks, no idea it could be used to mean semi-weekly as well. :o Anyway, we got the idea. :) )

Archived Post
02-19-2010, 11:44 AM
I looked it up just to verify (I know... lame), and it actually means both twice a week and every two weeks. :confused:

In fact, the definition even says the word (biweekly) is avoided because of confusion with its meaning...

???

What dictionary are you using??

The prefix 'bi' always always always means the same thing: 2.
A meeting scheduled every bi week (i.e. bi-weekly) is every 2 weeks.

A meeting scheduled semi-weekly, is twice a week, as semi means half.

That dictionary is wrong if it states that bi-weekly means both twice a week and every 2 weeks.
Completely wrong.